• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 8,213 Views, 378 Comments

Little Sun - Rated Ponystar



Celestia tells Twilight the truth behind her history with Sunset Shimmer.

  • ...
28
 378
 8,213

Chapter 10

Twilight waited until she was sure Spike was asleep before she got out of her bed and left her bedroom. With great care in where she walked, Twilight quietly made her way out to her teacher’s room, stopping once she got to the closed door. She closed her eyes and wondered one last time if this was the right choice. She couldn’t find it in her heart to forgive Celestia for what she had done, but she couldn’t find it in her to hate her either.

Besides, she wanted to know what had caused her mentor and Sunset Shimmer to finally split up.

With a knock on the door, she held her breath as she waited for Celestia to answer or not. A few seconds later, the door opened and Princess Celestia, tear marks on her cheeks and mane less wavy than usual, gasped upon seeing who it was. “Twilight...”

“May I come in?” asked Twilight, biting her lip. Princess Celestia nodded and opened the door, allow Twilight to stare in amazement at the ruined room. It was covered with magic blasts, destroyed furniture, and broken pots and mirrors. “What the hay?”

“When you left... I sort of lost control. Before you say anything I wasn’t mad at you,” said Princess Celestia just as she saw her apprentice’s mouth open. “I was angry at myself. I thought I had lost you and everything that happened that night, and its aftermath, it all just... came to me at once.”

“I’m surprised nopony heard you,” said Twilight as she lifted up a half-burned pillow and sat on it.

“Privacy spells are very powerful Twilight, or at least this one was,” said Princess Celestia as she sat down. “To be honest, I thought you were never going to speak to me again... like Sunset did...”

“I...” Twilight sighed and closed her eyes. “I thought I would, but Luna helped me realize I might have been too harsh. I realize you feel guilty about it, and that you’ve made mistakes. It’s... kinda been an eye opener for me.” She then opened her eyes and glared at her. “That being said, I can’t forgive you for ending those lives that night. Even if it was to protect your daughter. I won’t be that kind of princess either.”

“I understand,” said Celestia, sighing heavily. “I’ll make the announcement of your resignation tomorrow.”

“Resignation?” asked Twilight, tilting her head.

“Are you not going to give up the crown now that you know the truth and burden of wearing it? Haven’t I shown that I am not the all-powerful and virtuous paragon the world makes me out to be? I would think you would want to stop being a princess all together,” said Celestia.

Twilight got up and walked over to Celestia, placing a hoof on her mentor’s. “No, I’ve accepted that this is part of my destiny. If anything, I want to show that a ruler doesn’t have to resort to dirty and dark tactics to keep peace in her nation. I’ll prove it with friendship, love, and forgiveness. I don’t hate you, Princess. You will always be important to me, but I’m going to rule my own way. Not your way.”

Tears again came to Princess Celestia, but they were not tears of sorrow. “I’m so proud of you, Twilight. If anypony can do that, it’s you.”

Blushing, Twilight sat back down and cleared her throat. “So, what happened next?”

The smile quickly faded from Celestia’s mouth as she looked down in shame. “Everything went to Tartarus...”


Princess Celestia galloped so fast she could swear she was running faster than the wind. Her guards had alerted her that Sunset was awake. The sorrow and bitterness that she felt from the cult’s massacre days ago was now a fleeting memory and only the drive of seeing her daughter’s smiling face drove her forward.

She knew that Sunset was going to be traumatized by this. That’s why she made plans for the two of them to take a vacation for a few months and spend them on her private island she owned for such occasions. Just the two of them, mother and daughter, fun in the sun and healing from their terrible experience.

Bursting into the room, Celestia saw her beloved Little Sun staring into the window with an empty look on her face. It bothered Celestia for just a second, but she quickly pushed the feeling away as she walked forward and hugged Sunset. The filly did not hug her back, choosing to let loose a grumble.

“Oh, Sunset,” whispered Celestia, with joy. “I’m so glad that you’re okay. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to protect you, but I promise nopony will ever hurt you again.”

“... you’re too late...” whispered Sunset, bitterly.

Celestia’s eyes widened as she broke the hug and looked down at her apprentice. Sunset was glaring at her with such rage it made the princess nearly step back. “W-what do you mean? Has somepony hurt you? Tell me!”

Sunset gritted her teeth as she raised her hoof and pointed at a shocked Princess Celestia. “You! You were the one who hurt me, mother!”

In an instant, Celestia felt her world, and heart, crumble. Falling to her haunches, Celestia tried to think of something to say, anything. She thought about denying it but one look in her daughter’s eyes made her realize there was no point. She knows... no... oh please no... not like this.

“When were you going to tell me? Huh? Did you even know? Did you abandon me?! For a good portion of my life I thought my parents were dead, but I guess I was wrong! Because my mother is the princess who moves the bucking sun!” screamed Sunset Shimmer, horn glowing with rage. She pulled back her covers and showed her cutie mark in front of Celestia’s face. “I guess it only make senses that I have this on my butt since I’m a natural at Solar Magic. A gift from you perhaps?!”

“Sunset... I...”

“Just tell me right now!” screamed Sunset, standing on the bed and looking down at Celestia who felt smaller than she ever had in her life. “Are. You. My. Mother.”

“...Yes,” whispered Celestia, as she shed a tear. “I am your mother... I’ve always known...”

“...Why?” asked Sunset, falling down and sobbing. “All these years....”

“I wanted to protect you,” whispered Princess Celestia, trying to comfort her daughter but was pushed away. “I didn’t want you to be in danger or used by my enemies... I gave you up so you could have a better life than be some target by scheming politicians. I didn’t know we would meet again, but I made sure you were safe...”

“Safe? I had no friends. No family for all those years at the orphanage. And now I was nearly killed because they found out I am your daughter,” growled Sunset, slamming her hoof on the bed. “I felt alone all those years until you took me in. I used to dream about you being my mother, but learning that you were my own mom all along? And you never once did anything? You abandoned me!”

“Yes, and I’m so sorry!” shouted Celestia, covering her face with her hooves. “Do you really think it was easy to give up my own daughter?! You didn’t think I wanted nothing more than to take you in?! I couldn’t risk putting you in danger! I know you may not think I loved you, but I did, my Little Sun. I’ve always loved you from the moment I saw you enter this world to even now!”

Sunset didn’t say anything. She just stared at her mother for a long time. “It doesn’t matter... you still hurt me...”

“If there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please just say it,” said Celestia, standing up. “I can announce to the world that you are my daughter. I will give you any gift you wish. I will even tell you about your father. Just please let me make it up to you.”

Sunset gripped her sheets. “Make me an alicorn.”

Author's Note:

Yes, we are back. Two more chapters to go and then we are done with this story. Kept it short cause I haven't worked on this in awhile. Gonna try and finish it this month or next month.