• Published 18th May 2012
  • 1,631 Views, 19 Comments

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Mane Invasion - awkwardGardener



The Princibality of Zeon and Earth Federation team up to fight the Military Armada of New Equestria.

  • ...
11
 19
 1,631

Chapter One: Friends and Failings

- - I decided to take a break from my other story. I had to many ideas, so I thought that if I actually did one of them I would have an easier time writing Dueling Dash. I'm really interested in seeing where I go with this story. I'm also very curious as to what readers think of it. So if you read this and have an opinion, feel welcome to comment. I would love it if everyone who reads this commented. Hope you guys like it as much as I do :3 - -


A young man sat within the cockpit of his Mobile Suit. He wore a subtle smile but the rest of his face remained obscured by the elaborate helmet upon his head. He had just received word that his subordinates had been successful in the first phase of their mission. Of course they succeeded; it was his plan after all.

“Begin phase two of the mission.” The man said calmly to the green clad man on his view screen. “Alert me if there are any complications.”

The man on the screen saluted and said, “Yes sir. Proceeding with the mission.”

The screen switched off as communications were closed between the two, but flickered back on a moment later. A tall, muscular man with a large scar across his chin appeared on the screen.

“Commander Char, what is the status on your mission?” The man asked.

“Admiral Dozle sir.” Char gave a small salute. “Slender's unit was able to sneak past enemy defenses. They're getting into position as we speak.” The helmeted man replied. His name was Char Aznable, at least that's what he wanted everyone to think. His real name was Casval Deikun, but that is a story for another time.

“Good... We can only hope that they won't see this coming.” The Admiral said grudgingly. He had already lost almost fifty mobile suits to this new enemy, and more than twice as many men.

“Char...” Dozle paused. “Don't get yourself killed. At this point I can't see us winning this without you...”

Char only said, “I'll do my best, sir.” The screen switched off.

***

Ensign Bright Noa sat in the bridge of White Base. His head held in both hands. He looked up, tears in his eyes, and before him stood a young girl. He couldn't quite tell who it was. There were so many refugees on the ship, and the tears blurring his eyes didn't help.

The girl spoke, “Sir... Where is Amuro? I haven't seen him all day.” She asked. He remembered her name now. She was Fraw Bow.

Bright tried to speak, “He, uh... he...” A boy, Hayato was his name, walked over.

“I'll show her, sir.” He interrupted. He was always so helpful.

“Th-thank you Hayato.” Bright replied.

The Ensign put his head back down. He was only 19, yet he was in charge of a warship. In the early days he tried his best to lead the crew. He had been like a father figure to most of them. But then people started dying. He had tried telling himself that it was just how war was and that he would get used to it, but he never did. Most of his crew weren't even military. Bright was only an Ensign, yet he was the highest ranking officer on White Base. The pressure just kept building. He wasn't sure if he could handle it for much longer.

The Zeon weren't even the problem anymore. In fact the Earth Federation and Principality of Zeon were now allies against a greater enemy, the Mobile Armada of New Equestria. The 'Mane' as most called them, had first appeared as White Base fled from the space colony Side 7. They immediately declared their intentions by destroying the colony without warning. Thankfully the colony had already been evacuated because of a Zeon attack, so it was likely that no one was hurt.

Zeon and the Federation agreed to stop fighting until this threat was taken care of, but they didn't think they needed to work together until the Mane launched an attack on the Zeon fortress A Baoa Qu. The entire Delaz fleet was destroyed the first day. The only survivor of the fleet's destruction was an ace mobile suit pilot named Anavel Gato. The Zeon would have been destroyed right there had they not swallowed their pride and asked for help. Since then the two had been working together to try and stop the Mane's advance towards earth.

Everyone just wanted the war to be over.

***

“It'll go better this time.” Slender said to himself. The last real mission he had been sent on had been recon at Side 7. Unfortunately one of the members of his squad at the time, Jean, had decided steer the mission in another direction. Despite their leader Denim's objections, Jean attacked the military site they were watching. Denim and Jean were both killed by a kid piloting a prototype Mobile Suit. Which was surprising because Denim and Jean were both trained Mobile Suit pilots, yet their Zakus were destroyed so easily. Slender had been left behind to keep watch, so he was the only survivor.

Slender turned on communications, and contacted one of his men.

“Kai, do you read me?” He asked. A kid in a yellow jumpsuit appeared on his view screen.

“Yeah, yeah. I'm here.” The kid replied. “Don't you start worrying about me, Slender. Just try not to get yourself killed.”

Slender smiled. When he first heard that one of the kids from White Base was assigned to his squad, he figured that they would be an annoying little brat with no real combat experience. He had been right at first. Kai had done nothing but complain during his training. But over time he became a capable pilot, and a good friend. He could still be pretty pessimistic, but these were bad times.

“Alright, I'll report our progress to the commander.” Slender said. The image on the screen changed from a kid in yellow, to a young man in an elaborate helmet.

“Commander Char, sir.” Slender saluted. “We have successfully made it behind enemy defenses. Awaiting orders.”

“Begin phase two of the mission.” Char gave a slight smile as he replied. “Alert me if there are any complications.”

Slender saluted again and said, “Yes sir. Proceeding with the mission.”

The screen switched back to Kai. “You think we have a chance?” Kai asked. “If we do then it's a pretty slim one.”

Slender Shook his head. “All I know is that we can at least try. Now lets go, make sure that you can keep up.”

“Is that a challenge?” Kai cracked his knuckles. “The Guncannon can outrun your Zaku easily!”

The red Mobile Suit across the way waved its hands tauntingly at Slender.

“Good to see that you're ready for once. Now lets go. We have a job that need doing.” And at Slender's command, the group continued to their objective.

---

End Chapter 1