• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,223 Views, 8 Comments

Not A Monster - Speedy McSpeed



Chaotic, the son of Celestia and Discord, struggles with the dark powers within himself.

  • ...
6
 8
 1,223

Monsters Are Alone

If one were to walk into the room of the son of Celestia and Discord, they would be very surprised. The first thing they would see would be a large lump under the covers of Chaotic’s bed. Under the lump in the covers shined a very faint light coming from a unicorn horn. Chaotic’s horn was alight with magic, allowing him to read the book pages in front of him. Normally, he wouldn’t be in this position. Unlike his Aunt Twilight, Chaotic did not have an overwhelming desire to read. The only reason he was even looking at the literature is because he was being forced to. At least, that’s how it started.

As Chaotic kept reading, he acquired a genuine interest in what he was seeing. The pages, which had come out of a book given to him by his father, had hiss full attention. They described that if a creature, when using magic, had reddish or crimson aura, the magic they were using was normally wicked. Although he found the material interesting, Chaotic could not help but wonder why his father had given this to him for him to read.

“Is dad worried that I’m using evil magic?” Chaotic thought. “Sure, I’m pretty good at magic, but my aura is blue, isn’t it?”

Wanting to find out what color his magic was, Chaotic focused intently on the pages before him. He used his magic to levitate them and sighed in relief when he saw they were surrounded by a light blue aura.

“Well that’s a relief,” he thought, closing his eyes. Chaotic then opened them again and was shocked to see the pages were now caught in a blood red aura. Chaotic panicked and flailed about, causing himself to tumble off the bed. As he did this, Chaotic’s magic flared and the book pages instantly caught fire and turned into ashes.

“What was that!?” Chaotic screamed in his head. “That’s never happened before. Is dad right? Am I really using evil magic without even knowing it?”

Before he could ask himself anymore of these questions, the door to his room burst open, revealing his sister looking at him with a confused expression.

“Uh, Chaotic?” she asked.

“Yes, sis?”

“Why are you on the floor?”

“Oh, I was reading those pages dad told me to read and I guess I just fell off my bed.”

“Oh, okay. Speaking of that, dad told me to come and get you. He wants to talk to you about what you just read.”

“All right, I’ll go talk to him right now.”

Chaotic untangled himself from his covers and got up off the floor. He passed his sister in the doorway and then made his way towards......Chaotic stopped when he realized he had no idea where his father was. Backtracking to his room, Chaotic spoke to his sister once again.

“Uh, Harmony?”

“Yes?”

“Where’s dad?”

“Oh, right! I forgot to mention that. He’s on the balcony.”

“Thanks!”

Chaotic left his room once again, this time with a destination in mind. He traveled the corridors of the castle, briefly taking in all of the beautiful decor. Eventually, Chaotic made it to the balcony that overlooked the entire city of Canterlot. Looking ahead, he could see his father waiting for him. Nervously, he walked outside to join Discord, who finally noticed his son’s presence.

“Chaotic?” he began. “I trust you read those pages like I told you to.”

“Of course, dad. And I have to say, they were quite interesting.”

“Were they, now? Why do you think that is?”

“I...um...” Chaotic wanted to tell his father about what had happened to the pages, but was afraid of what he might say. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?”

“Nope.”

“In that case,” Discord began, pacing around his son. “Maybe I should tell you why I made you read those pages.”

“That would be nice.”

Instead of talking, Discord only stared straight at his son. Their eyes met and they had a sort of awkward staring contest. Chaotic was surprised, never having seen his father so serious before. The two stared at each other intently, before Chaotic finally turned away.

“Chaotic, what happened?”

“I...it was the magic! I was levitating those pages you gave me when my aura became red. I freaked out and my magic went crazy. It burnt the pages and turned them into ash!”

Chaotic began sobbing as his father looked upon him. Eventually, Discord embraced his son and held him close.

“Chaotic, let me tell you something,” Discord whispered. “You are many things. You’re brave, smart, and a heck of a cook, but you’re not evil.”

“B...but my magic! It’s red just like the book said. You know what that means, don’t you!?”

“What?”

“I’m a monster.”

Instead of agreeing with him. like Chaotic expected his father to do, Discord just laughed to himself.

“What’s so funny?”

“Chaotic, you’re not a monster.”

“But the magic!”

“Forget about the magic. It’s what you do with that magic that counts.”

“Really?”

“Of course. Just think about this. I’m the god of chaos, but I use my powers for good. And what about your Uncle Spike? He’s a fire-breathing dragon, but he wouldn’t hurt a fly. Actually, he’s kind of a softy if you ask me.”

Chaotic laughed at his father’s joke, taking in what he was just told.

“I guess you’re right, but why would I even have red aura.”

“Chaotic, what are you?”

“I’m a....a.....I’m not really sure, actually.”

“Exactly! There are so many species inside of you that there is no way your magic’s color wouldn’t be affected. The red magic probably just comes from the bat wings and dragon tail.”

“I never thought of that.”

“Of course you didn’t. Anyway, want to know something else.”

“Sure.”

“I know you read that red magic is typically evil, but you know what else it is?”

“What?”

“Powerful. Your magic makes you a strong soul. Don’t you ever forget that, okay?”

“Okay, dad.”

“Good. Now how about we go get some breakfast. I’m starving!”

“Yeah, sure.”

As the two made their way to the kitchen, Chaotic could not help but think about the conversation they had just shared.

“So dad did know about my magic,” he thought. “At least I’m not turning evil.”

Soon enough, Chaotic and Discord arrived at the kitchen. Sniffing the air, Chaotic could smell a powerful and tantalizing smell in the air.

“Mmm. Smells good in there,” Chaotic smirked. “I wonder what’s cooking.”

“Why don’t you go find out.” Turning their heads, Chaotic and Discord saw Princess Celestia approaching them. “I know how hard you’ve been working, so I had the cooks make you something extra special.”

“Really!? Thanks, mom!” Rushing inside, Chaotic left his parents outside to go investigate the wonderful smell.

“So, Discord?” Celestia asked. “Did you talk to him?”

“Yes, Celestia, I did.”

“Is it what we expected?”

“I’m afraid so. He said he used it only this morning.”

“Really? In that case, we have to find a solution sooner than we thought.”

“For once, I agree with you.”


That night, Chaotic was lying in bed, wide awake. It turned out that his mother had order the cooks to make him his favorite dish: ice cream. When Chaotic had entered the kitchen, he was greeted by the sight of multiple bowls of ice cream spread throughout the room. The royal cooks had prepared ice cream of all flavors, ranging from peppermint to chocolate. The rest of the day had included sampling the seemingly endless bowls of frozen deliciousness.

Now, with his belly full and mind clear, Chaotic was much happier than he was that morning. However, he still could not fall asleep. For some reason, slumber would not grace him with its presence. After an hour of laying in the dark, it was clear to Chaotic that he would not be falling asleep anytime soon. He slowly climbed out of bed and made his way to the bedroom door. Chaotic opened it slowly, making sure to make as little noise as possible.

Quietly tiptoeing down the hall, he stopped as he passed Harmony’s room.

“Harmony,” he thought. “What if I accidentally hurt you? I know dad said my magic isn’t evil, but I can’t shake the feeling that its dangerous. If I hurt you I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.” Chaotic looked down to the floor and sighed. “I guess it’s not a problem right now, but still...I can’t be too careful when it comes to your safety.”

Continuing down the hall, Chaotic noticed the light to his parents’ room was on. H e slowly crept toward their door, careful to not be noticed. Once there, he realized that their door was open a crack. He curiously stuck his head in, looking for his mother and father. He saw they were on their bed, talking about something important.

“Are you sure about this?” he heard his mother say. “Don’t you think it would be a little to severe.”

“Is it, though?” Discord responded. “I think it’s a small cost if you look at the bigger picture, here.”

Celestia sighed and laid her head down on a pillow. “I guess you’re right, but how do you think he’ll take it?”

“He would agree it’s the right thing to do. Chaotic just needs to realize that he’s a danger to every pony, including Harmony.”

Chaotic almost let out a sharp gasp as he heard this. “A danger to Harmony!?” he thought. “I thought dad said my magic wasn’t a problem.”

“Plus,” Discord said, continuing his conversation with Celestia. “It’s not like were dealing with dark magic. That would be a lot simpler.”

“True,” Celestia agreed. “Wrath magic is much harder to deal with.”

“Wrath magic?” Chaotic wondered. “Is that what it’s called?”

Suddenly. Chaotic heard footsteps approaching the doorway. Realizing that his mother was leaving the room, Chaotic bolted down the hall, not wanting to be discovered. He kept on running until he reached his bedroom, where he quickly opened the door and jumped into bed. Soon after, the door to his room creaked open once again. Celestia entered her son’s room and trotted over to his bed. She gently reached a hoof out and stroked Chaotic’s wings.

“Oh, son,” she whispered. “I’m so sorry this has to happen. It’s just that we can’t have another pony like....him....in Equestria ever again.”

With that, Celestia walked out of the room, leaving her son to ponder what she had just said.

“Come to what?” Chaotic thought. “And who are you talking about!?”


As rays of light penetrated Chaotic’s eyes, his ears flickered and his nose scrunched up. Not wanting to greet the morning, Chaotic rolled over and promptly place a pillow over his head. The protection from the awaiting day did not last long. His pillow shield was wrapped in a golden aura and dragged away from his head. Looking over by his bedroom door, Chaotic could see his mother with the pillow caught in her magic.

“Rise and shine!” she greeted. “We’ve got a big day ahead of us, Chaotic.”

“Wow,” thought Chaotic. “That’s a pretty peppy tone for some pony who wants to something awful to their own son.”

When her son did not respond to her awakening, Celestia decided to make her way over to his bed. Using her magic, she levitated Chaotic’s bed into the air. This caused him to let out a startled yelp, but he did not move none the less. Then. Celestia quickly flipped the bed over. Chaotic came tumbling to the ground, along with his pillows and bed sheets.

“Hey!” he hissed. “That was uncalled for!”

“Well, if you don’t get up on time, that’s what’s going to happen,” Celestia smirked. “Now, like I said, we have a big day today.”

“And why’s that?”


“We’re going someplace special.”

“Someplace like where?”

“Sorry, my son, but you’ll just have to find out where we’re going when we get there,” Celestia sang, trotting out of the room.

“Huh,” Chaotic thought “I wonder where she’s taking me.” Chaotic began to walk out of the room, pausing a moment to return his bed to an unflipped position. He was about to finally leave his room, when all of the night prior’s events popped into his head. “Mom and Dad said something about doing something to me last night,” he remembered. “And now Mom is taking someplace mysterious without telling me where it is...........Oh, crap.”

Comments ( 5 )

Oh boy. This isn't going to end well. The part of the conversation that he missed is going to be crucial, and it going to cause problems. Great chapter. I can't wait to read what happens next.

That was awesome! I demand more!!! :twilightsmile:

5353107
I'm back and Not A Monster will be updated hopefully by today

Hey how's it going with the next chapter

Login or register to comment