• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 3,923 Views, 152 Comments

My Little Pony - The Age of Dinosaurs - StrangeBehavior



Equestria, a magical land ruled and controlled by the ponies, has had a period of peace for a thousand years…Now, ancient predators of another world start to appear…Is it the start of something greater and a warning of disasters to come

  • ...
6
 152
 3,923

Chapter 8: Winter's Wrapped Up?!

A little over two weeks had past, and Ponyville was in preparation for a day many had prepared to work on, Winter Wrap-Up. Things had been pretty busy over the past few weeks, to start was that Ponyville had received a few new visitors, one of which really captured the attention of the ponies, especially Rarity. The dinosaur was another hadrosaur called Olorotitan, iconic for a axe-shaped crest on the back of its head, it was a male and as such, was brightly colored with intricate patterns that inspired the unicorn to design a line that she was sure will be a hit.

Reports of more of these creatures now known as dinosaurs and other animals like them started flooding the castles of the princesses of Equestria. Thanks to some detailed descriptions and by luck, photographs, Twilight and Celestia were able to identify several species of dinosaurs that started to appear in Equestria's cities and landmarks. Like the small troodont known as Saurornithoides stealing many eggs and candy in Fillydelphia, and a large group of flying reptiles making home on the cliffs near Las Pegasus. Discord's ability to sense magical imbalances during the time-frame was rocking non stop, and three days ago, it spiked so hard that it could be felt by everyone in Equestria. The raptors behaved, Red-Claw especially, and were let out often to keep a repeat of what happened with White Tip from happening again. Within the time and due to the fact these creatures speak avian, Fluttershy was able to roughly understand the (formerly) extinct language of the dinosaurs.

News of a fully-grown dragon being found eaten and was actually killed spread across the globe like wildfire, Twilight assumed the culprit was one of the predatory dinosaurs, and thanks to reading these books that mysteriously appeared, have informed detectives to look for broken teeth that could be littered around mystery sites like what was now called, "The Dragon Murder Case" in hopes of identifying the killers at large.

Two days ago, Twilight and her friends headed for the Crystal Empire, hearing about the hundreds of 'musical creatures' and was greatly saddened that her brother was hurt by a creature that fit the description somewhat of the Tarbosaurus that was currently hiding in the Everfree Forest. While there, they had discovered another species of dinosaur, a herbivore called Camptosaurus, and they had managed to lure the Jurassic dinosaurs into Ponyville to be studied further. When they arrived, a small animal, known as Didelphodon, was caught trying to steal food from Sugar Cube Corner, along with a small spiky Kentrosaurus walking into Ponyville, looking for soft plants to eat. But the reports that had been piling up were not from these unknown creatures alone, other reports involve a myriad of confusing circumstances, like weather patterns showing up when the weather factories were either broken or turned off, or that strange plants started to appear all over and that many plants tended by ponies before were now growing on their own at alarming rates.

In one of Manehatten's hospitals, a doctor and therapist were heading into a room that held the only surviving pirate pony who was found drifting in the ocean a week ago.

The therapist asked the doctor, "What is the story with this patient Doctor?"

He answered, "He's a pirate of that gang that have been causing trouble recently, we found him near, what fisherponies would say, the destroyed remains of the ship, along with a torn carcass of a gigantic sea turtle. He has been rambling on about a giant sea monster that bit his ship in half and devoured most of his fellow crew mates, what I find unsettling is that he seemed to have really seen this 'sea monster' attack his ship."

The therapist looked puzzled as she thought that even if the pirate saw things, he couldn't have said that this creature actually bit his ship in half, not even sea serpents could cause the destruction he described. They entered the room that held the pirate, shaking nervously with his eyes shifting in all directions, like a paranoid nervous wreck of his former self.

He was shouting at the top of his lungs, "No! Noooo! You won't get me, ya' beast of Tartarus' depths! No! Stay back! You stay back ya hear me!"

After almost half an hour, the doctors and nurses finally calmed the distressed pirate, as the therapist began her work.

She asked the pirate, "It is okay, your safe, whatever happened to you out there, won't get you here. Now tell me, what exactly happened out in the Equestrian Sea…"

Now it was Winter Wrap-Up, and the ponies prepped for a hard days work in bringing in spring. But, when they headed out, they saw what one could only describe, as winter wrapping itself up. They see the sun shining brightly in an almost summer like warmth that melted most of the snow and ice in not only Ponyville, but in many parts of Equestria as well.

Rainbow flew back to Twilight and said, "Things are like this as far north as the Crystal Empire…"

Another pegasus flew in and said, "…And as far south as past the Machintosh Hills! What the heck is going on! First these creatures show up and then the weather starts acting on its own?"

Twilight puzzled at what was going on in the land she knew, unable to understand what else did these dinosaurs bring to the land of Equestria. An hour later, a small group of unique dinosaurs had wandered into Ponyville, they were big, with large triangular plates along their backs, they looked like the Kentrosaurus, but had four menacing spikes on the end of its tail. They also brought along a pair of predators that was tailing behind them, creatures that were somewhat bigger than Frost, but they had three thin horns on their heads. The carnivores were Ceratosaurus, a dinosaur with three horns on their heads, but a more pronounced horn on their snouts. They also had long, thin teeth in their upper jaw that looked like knives, they used those to cut through meat like a meat-slicer on their food. The ponies panicked when one Ceratosaurus, a male, viciously attacked and killed a plant-eating dinosaur that arrived several days ago, an Anchisaurus. Twilight told everyone in Ponyville to seek shelter immediately, since the female Ceratosaurus eyed a frightened unicorn hungrily, then turned her gaze to the alicorn princess…

Elsewhere, a camping group saw a massive flying reptile head to Ponyville in the east. In broad daylight, they could see the creature more clearly, it had a rather tiny body, but had enormous wings that seemed to put the width of a dragon's wings to shame. It had a long beak-like mouth with crests at the top and bottom jaws, which were bristled with thin, sharp teeth. It let out the infamous haunting call, that made it sound ominous.

One of the ponies shouted, "What the Heck is that!"

The reptile, a species of pterosaur, swooped down at the campers, and snatched up a piece of food the campers were cooking over the fire.

One of the other campers shouted angrily, "HEY!!! That's our food! You give that back you stupid…"

The other ponies covered his mouth, not wanting the pterosaur to fly back and snatch up one of them. The pterosaur, fortunately, couldn't understand a word the mammal spoke, and it gulped down its stolen catch, with Ponyville only fifty miles from its location.

After a long and tiring chase, the Ceratosaurus pair had cornered Twilight, they snarled in delight at their cornered prey. Twilight had distracted them long enough for the other ponies to get inside safely, but at the price of herself becoming bait for the Jurassic predators. A young Stegosaurus was also beside her as it tried to scare off the carnivores, but the beasts ignored the juvenile's empty threats. As they both prepared to lunge at their victims, the Ceratosaurus stopped as the ground beneath them shook violently. The other ponies and dinosaurs also felt the ground thunder beneath their feet.

Applejack said, "W-what the hay is going on?"

In the Everfree Forest, the Tarbosaurus felt the low tremors through the pads on her feet and knew that something huge was coming to that place inhabited by mammals…

The tremors were the footsteps of an animal that dwarfed the current inhabitants of Ponyville. The Ceratosaurus flees in panic as the footsteps belonged to a creature they avoided at all costs. The ponies looked at a hill south of the town, and saw the owner of the thunderous footsteps, as they saw a tiny head attached to a long neck and as it got closer, more of the animal was seen. It let out majestic calls that sounded like the call of a whale, and the long neck was attached to a humongous body with four legs as thick as tree trunks, and at the end of the body was a long tail that swished around like a whip.

Then three more of these titanic creatures started to appear over the hill, they were the 'elephants of the Jurassic', Apatosaurus, a sauropod dinosaur known throughout the world formerly as Brontosaurus. Rainbow, Twilight, and Fluttershy flew up to get a better look and their jaws dropped at what they saw. A whole herd of around forty-six Apatosaurus walking straight into Ponyville, with the arrival of these titans heralded the coming of a new age in the world of Equestria…

The Age of the Dinosaur has finally, truly, dawned once more…

Author's Note:

This Chapter is mostly a description of the things that happened after the previous chapter, why two weeks, beats me...:applejackunsure:

Wow, so many prehistoric beasties, and FINALLY, the largest and most iconic group of dinosaurs make their presence known, the majestic sauropods. I really mean it, give me suggestions on Mesozoic creatures I could put in...

Now the dinosaur species;
Olorotitan
A species of stegosaur (Three guesses on what it is)
Ceratosaurus
Anchisaurus
&
Apatosaurus

Well, we also have the Cretaceous mammal, Didelphodon, in Ponyville, being a pest like it was 65 million years ago...

You definitely know the drill, right?
RIGHT???

Until next time...
Bye...