• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 3,922 Views, 152 Comments

My Little Pony - The Age of Dinosaurs - StrangeBehavior



Equestria, a magical land ruled and controlled by the ponies, has had a period of peace for a thousand years…Now, ancient predators of another world start to appear…Is it the start of something greater and a warning of disasters to come

  • ...
6
 152
 3,922

Chapter 13: The Dinosaur Initiative...

Screams…
Screams filled the air of the great capital of Equestria…

A half hour had past and the incoming earthquake started to pick up strength. The iconic sound of a earthquake started to echo throughout the land, the tremors were strong enough to collapse some of the weaker buildings, and send every living creature within the mountain range to a panic.
Unfortunately for Canterlot, it was located in the absolute worst possible location when these natural disasters started to reawaken after an unknown amount of time. The beautiful city will be wiped from the map forever more, by the destruction that is arriving very soon…

As the Mane Six, the regal sisters, the raptor pack, Peck the Triceratops, and Spike arrived out of the gate, their hopes were quickly diminished when the ground, literally, split open down to the caverns below the mountains, awakening something dormant for tens of thousands of years.

"Crud, what in the wide world of Equestria is going on?" Rainbow asked as the crevice suddenly spewed up toxic dust and crystal shards launched at dangerous speed.

Twilight was stressed at an unbelievable pace since it seems, that the only way they could make it off the mountain, has been blocked off. Frost knew the phenomenon that was happening before him, he experienced it only once, but it left a truly nightmarish memory in the Utahraptor's dinosaurian brain.

He said with fear clear in his voice, "W-we have to escape! NOW! Before…before…before we all die…"

In Ponyville, the old Ornithocheirus felt the low tremors through his feet through a patio on Twilight's Castle, and gazed at the city of Canterlot, seeing something that he has seen many times throughout his long life. Many of the Ponyvillians grew fearful when they felt the tremors, and took cover when the dinosaurs in their town started to panic and flee in all kinds of directions. Even Gaston the little Gastonia ran for cover when what sounded like a napalm explosion sounded in the distance. The Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus herds raised their heads as high as they go, then looked at the capital of Equestria far off in the distance.

Mayor Mare announced to the panicking populace, "Everypony, please settle down. Take cover in calm and orderly fashion…"

She was interrupted when a pegasus mare shouted with surprise, "What in Celestia's name is happening to Canterlot!!!"

That made every unicorn, pegasus, and earth pony look in the direction of Canterlot, and were speechless at what they are seeing…

They saw the great and beautiful city, being torn to shreds with huge plumes of smoke billowing out from various spots all over the mountain. The smoke was like something seen out of a bombing raid, but it looked much more ominous, a clear sign that something was building up beneath where Canterlot was. The citizens of not only Ponyville, but every city and village with a clear view of Canterlot, gasped in fright, since there was only one thing that it could possibly be that the earthquake awakened. They silently prayed that anyone that remained in Canterlot escape safely and soon, as the Ornithocheirus cawed long and low with the sauropods bellowing…

"I GOT IT!" Twilight exclaimed, "We will take the 'shortcut' off the mountains, by riding down the slopes, while a shield protects us from anything we might run into, or have dropped on our heads!"

Applejack asked skeptically, "Dropped on our heads?! What'cha talkin' about Twi? What can drop on our…"
She stopped when a really pungent smell wafted in the air.

The others caught the scent, and gagged, Rarity complained, "Gak! My word! It smells like rotten eggs…"
The unicorn was interrupted by her alicorn friend shouting frantically, "Gah! That is sulfur! WE HAVE GOT TO GO, NOW, FAR AWAY!"

Twilight used magic to pull everyone together to a small ledge that is about to give way, and they rode it down the mountain. As they fled, the cracks spewing smoke and shattered crystal shards, started to glow in an orange-redish light…

The leaders of the other countries on Equus arrived to Equestria early, they intended to meet at Canterlot, but upon their balloons, they witnessed a terrible omen unfold. The earthquake rumbled loudly and the entire cliff that the Capitol of Equestria stood proudly, collapsed and the city of Canterlot crumbled down the mountain, but the horror has only started.

Then, they heard a loud rumbling sound greater than the earthquake, and it even caused the sky to tremble, a huge plume of smoke billowed from all the cracks that littered the mountain. The leaders were horrified, they knew what it could only mean. What was about to happen, is the real reason the tyrannosaurus and many other animals flee in a panic, and what Twilight knew from the clues and warnings given.

The earthquake, has awakened a long dormant volcano, after tens of thousands of years…

Without warning, the volcano erupted, generating the loudest sound possible in the natural world. The explosion's noise drove millions of life-forms for miles crazy and many ponies covered their ears as they bled from the nearly two hundred fifty hertz sound, loud enough to actually kill many creatures. The shockwaves ripped massive trees right out of the ground, sent flaming lava bombs miles into the air, and released thousands of tons of volcanic ash and gas into the air. The eruptions can easily be felt and heard as far east as nearly the distance from New York to Beijing if an eruption of that magnitude was released on Earth.

The lava poured from the mouth of the volcano and flooded down the mountain like blood from a gun wound. After that, the volcano collapsed, sending superheated waves of ash and soot all around the volcano, this plume buried what was left of Canterlot under fifty feet of volcanic soot. The sheer blast threw cubic meters of volcanic ash into the sky, generating a thick blanket of ash that stretched as far north as the Crystal Empire, to as far south as the Macintosh Hills. It was like, night came early, and would last for some time.

The Tyrannosaurus pack survived, having sought shelter behind a rocky arch some miles from where they fled. Omega looked at the blackened sky, it was worse than the volcanic eruption he witnessed when he was a hatchling. Knowing the dangers that a volcano can still give, even after the initial eruption, he urged his offspring and his mate to move as far east as they can go, where the danger is at a minimum. Then, all over the great country, ash and soot rained down over the land, like snow.

Twilight and her friends looked at where Canterlot once stood proudly, and were deeply saddened by the destruction wrought. Frost knew from his experience with his old pack millions of years ago, how to survive after a volcanic eruption of that magnitude.

He said to everyone in his native tongue, "We must seek shelter, and try to breathe as little as possible. Volcanic ash is like a poisonous gas if we are not careful how we breathe, and we need to look for water sources shielded from the sky, because the ash would also poison the water."

The raptors understood, as well as Peck, and Fluttershy relayed what the Utahraptor said to the princesses and her friends. They were heading back to Ponyville, until the balloon that belonged to the Griffon Empire picked them up, and headed for Ponyville.

However…

Deep in the heart of the mountain, something very old, something very ancient, has been sealed in a coffin. A boulder gave way and landed on a corner of the ancient coffin, knocking the lid clean off and breaking an ancient spell that sealed the coffin long ago, to before Tirek and his brother Scorpan ever arrived in Equestria. Before even Celestia or Luna were ever born, the shattered lid had on it, writing that was in the Human language of Latin,

Vetus igitur malum in discordia inde Equestria erit tumulus annorum milia signati, quod te non fugit, quaesumus, dici potest daemonium…

The last part was broken off from the lid, but was thrown elsewhere, it was intact enough for it to read in Japanese, it spoke of what the ponies of old called it, the thing they sealed in the coffin,

魔神死神

Inside the coffin, a black mass took on a roughly humanoid shape, then the creature within opened its eyes, revealing eyes filled with evil, a hellish red that would strike fear in the hearts of ponies or humans. It chuckled evilly, like a psychopath or a demon, its laughs echoed in its destroyed prison.

Discord felt a terribly severe magical imbalance, he said to himself, "My, that never happened before…"
He paused with fright when he felt where this imbalance came from and stuttered fearfully, "N-n-n-no…I-it c-couldn't be…it is just not possible, even by my standards…he was just a legend…! H-he couldn't be real! Oh jeez, I must tell Celestia right away! That 'he' exists, and 'he' has returned…"
Discord vanished, as he was the first to sense, that the ancient Legend of the Death Eater Demon, was no legend, not anymore…

Five days had past since the volcano erupted where the capitol of Equestria once stood proudly. The country was thrown into a perpetual darkness, the plants started to die from the lack of sunlight. The water was contaminated with the poisonous chemicals that were carried by some of the volcanic ash, many dinosaurs sought shelter in caves, forests, among the buildings of some of the cities of Equestria. About the only place that remained untouched by the natural disaster was Appleloosa, but many there heard what happened deeper in the country.

Ponyville was undoubtedly the settlement that suffered the most, many of the plants had already died, and the temperature dropped. Many pegasi tried to clear the smog, but it would take time to clear all the smoke that the volcano unleashed, the only source of light were from the auroras the Crystal Empire shared, their hopes still burning bright in this unnatural darkness. Twilight continued to look through all the mysterious books, now named collectively as the Dinosaur Codex, and noticed peculiar patterns that seemed to be in all the books. She thought it isn't important at the moment, but knew that they shouldn't be ignored. Then, reading a passage in a book that explains dinosaurs as a whole, she noticed something that seems to explain why these dinosaurs seemed so, powerful, against magic. But she decided to wait, as the Royal Summit commenced in the throne room she sat in.

They discussed on the issue the Dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals seemed to have on their world. Reports started in other countries that creatures that matched the description of dinosaurs perfectly were spotted in the outskirts of the cities. More unsettling news came from Celestia and Luna themselves, since these dinosaurs arrived, they have been slowly loosing control in raising the sun and moon, like some greater force is controlling them.

One of the leaders, a paranoid fellow, shouted, "Whatever these 'dinosaurs' are, we need to get rid of them! Ever since they arrived on Equus, they have brought nothing but trouble!"
The delegate of the Minotaurs bitterly snorted, "I agree! These 'dinosaur' creatures have not only proven to be resistant to magic, they possess a barbaric way of thinking, that whole, 'kill or be killed' way that died off long ago!"

The Duke of Maretona said huffily, "Like you're one to talk about barbaric and brutish ways. These monsters have to be destroyed, these demons have no place on our planet!"

"You're wrong…" Twilight said suddenly, her eyes still glued to that one thing in the book.
All the leaders looked over at the newly christened Princess of Friendship with skeptical faces.

Princess Cadence asked her sister-in-law, "What do you mean, Twilight?"

Twilight huffed as she answered, "These dinosaurs are not monsters, they're just animals, they don't know any better than a little foal breaking her parent's valuables. They seemed to be so, well, monstrous, is because wherever they came from, was apparently a very violent place, and they had ecosystems like any animal here. They're not demons, because…"

She paused, still not believing this revelation she found out, Celestia asked calmly, "Because, why, Princess Twilight…?"
Twilight said hesitantly, "Because…they fight…demons…and kill them on sight…"
Everyone present were surprised, Applejack asking her friend, "What are you talking about? They kill demons, but are not demons themselves?"

Twilight levitated the book she was reading high in the air as she said, "This book of the Dinosaur Codex, details these animals as a whole, and it says many intriguing things, but it was this passage that whoever wrote these books that really, confuses me…"

Twilight cleared her throat and read, "This is what that passage says…"

"…I still could not believe it, even after seeing them in action. Now I believe the Gods of Time and Space when they said that dinosaurs were originally bred to combat and destroy demons in our realm of mortals. And, I am at a loss when they said every planet that can support life has dinosaurs or creatures that filled a similar role. It explains why the universe, millions of years ago, seemed so, tranquil, at peace, despite the violence a primordial world creates. Me and my friends have long wondered why evil seemed to have such a terrible grip in the present day, because these animals were not around to stop them from gaining a foothold in the universe. Because they needed to fight demons, they have a rather strong resistance to magic, not an immunity. It was heartbreaking to have learned that the dinosaurs of Earth, were the very last ones in the universe, and that a battle beyond the plains of creation, was the cause of the dinosaur's untimely demise and extinction. As I write this now, an infant Triceratops walked towards me, eyes wide with curiosity and sniffed my hand, the little female playfully chasing her tail, blissfully unaware of what can be called, a 'cosmic accident', has doomed her entire race to oblivion. My friends and I have resolved to try and save them, since a foe of ours planned a much worse fate…than oblivion…"

Twilight started to tear up a little, unable to continue reading after hearing the author talk about a baby dinosaur that was doomed to die. Celestia then took the book and decided to read it aloud for her former student.

She read where Twilight left off,

"Me and my friends have resolved to try and save them, since a foe of ours planned a much worse fate than oblivion, by using these creatures as puppets to bend others to their will by using creatures that prey on hearts and unexpectedly, fused them together, with only their destruction could they have been freed. Such a beautiful world they lived in, completely unspoiled by civilization, my friend suggested that we bring the dinosaurs to our time, since they were originally supposed to coexist with us. Fate seemed to have smiled on these wondrous animals, by feeding our imagination to a degree where we feel they deserve a second chance at life…"

Everyone present looked down, hearts heavy with the words written in that book, those words cut deep. Celestia closed the book, with that last sentence being the last one written, she looked at a sleeping Peck beside her, and petted his head, wondering if the adolescent Triceratops was a sibling to the infant mentioned by the author.
The delegate of the true Changeling Kingdom sighed, as he said, "Well…I suppose that we should hold off on dealing with these dinosaurs, and at the moment, learn about them so we can better decide what to do with them…All in favor?"

Everyone raised their arms and hooves, thinking that is the best course of action for now, until a panting Discord appeared.
The Lord of Chaos said wheezingly, "Haaaa…Thank goodness I found you Celestia! I…Have been looking for you for days! There's a really big problem!"

Twilight said, feeling annoyed, "Whatever you have to say Discord, it will have to wait till we are finished with the Royal Meet. So take your seat and wait…"
Discord did as he was told, pouting in his seat, as the leaders now decided to create laws for their citizens to follow concerning the dinosaurs. Unaware of what the rogue Queen Chrysallis and her Changeling followers were trying to invade Equestria, once again…

Several hours later…

The mass were arriving at where Canterlot once stood, the Changeling 'Queen' said questioningly, "Are you certain this is where Canterlot is? There's nothing but volcanic ash and boulders here?"
The Changeling she was questioning answered, "Y-yes my queen. The locator spell you placed here before the wedding of Shining Armor and Princess Me Amore Cadencea banishing us from Equestria, it is still active."

They landed on the volcanic soil as ash fell like snow, they soon found the ruins of a tower from Celestia's castle sticking out of the ground, like a sunken ship. They heard what sounded like an ostrich, then saw a lone Gallimimus looking at the soil for any plant life it can eat.

Chrysallis asked with a raised brow, "What is that? I've never seen such a bizarre creature before…?"
Another Changeling answered, "One of our spies say it is something the ponies call, a dinosaur, they started to appear in Equestria and they come in many different shapes and sizes."

Chrysallis thought for a moment, then said with an evil smirk, "Let's use these 'dinosaur' creatures to bend the ponies to our will, capture this ostrich-looking dinosaur, it will be our test subject…"

Several Changelings flew to the curious ornithomimid, who thinks the Changelings were freakishly huge insects, the nimble feathered dinosaur ran circles around them…

But then, the Gallimimus looked frightened, it sensed something was coming, and it a panic, screeched loudly at the Changelings and fled deep into a nearby forest like something was chasing it. The Changelings and Queen Chrysallis were puzzled by the dinosaur's behavior, very bird-like, but then they sensed something was wrong. It felt like the very air suddenly went from hot and breezy, to cold and heavy, a very drastic and sudden change that never means anything good.

One of the Changelings felt that something was underneath him, and hesitantly looked down to the ground. Before he could, however, a black spire shot up at a blinding speed, the other Changelings heard and were horrified as they saw their comrade hang lifeless in the air, with the black spire rammed through the head of the Changeling. The spire radiated an ominous aura that made the Changelings frozen in fear, and it was pitch black like the center of a black hole, and the spire reeked with a horrible stench like rotting blood. Then they saw the spire shoot back down from where it came from, hearing a monstrous growl and heard, what they fear, is the body of their comrade being torn to shreds and devoured greedily by something.

Queen Chrysallis' hooves were as heavy as lead after what she saw, then, they heard what sounded like a man whispering, "More…Give me more…More blood…More flesh…Give it to me…NOW!!!"
The last word was shouted and sounded truly demonic as thousands more black spires erupted from the ground in succession, taking five or six Changelings down to whatever was underneath the ground.

Queen Chrysallis ordered with panic in her voice, "RETREAT!" and with that, every Changeling flew as fast as they could, to try and escape from this monster killing them all.

One Changeling dodged one of the spires by luck, only for the spire to clip his wing. A horde of around twelve thousand Changelings arrived at the former sight of Canterlot, only thirty, including Chrysallis herself, escaped with their lives.

The Changeling that got his wing clipped landed on the ground with a thud, then saw an adolescent dragon land on the ground, having seen the massacre up in the air and decided to investigate. Much to the lone Changeling's growing horror, the dragon peered through one of the holes where those black spires came from, and out of it came twenty black, blood-soaked tentacles, each one as large as a fully grown dragon. The adolescent dragon breathed fire at them, only for two tentacles to go down his throat and rip him in half, the others then quickly wrapped around the corpse and crush it, making it rain blood.

The lone Changeling was quivering with sheer terror, he was so terrified, he was whimpering as he wet himself, his heart beating faster than ever before. The tentacles went down the hole they came from, an ominous red glow coming from inside. The Changeling found the will to move and hid behind a cluster of burnt, fallen trees, peering through a slit between two trees.

Then, he saw a black figure levitate up from the hole, magma falling off its head like water. A lone rift in the soot filled sky revealed the moon and the light shined on the figure, revealing what looked like a human male with skin as white as paper, blood was all over his body and dark blue clothes. The clothes were like a vampire's, without a cape, and his hair was messy and shoulder length, colored red from the blood all over his body. He raised his head, to the moon, taking a deep breath through his nose, and as he exhaled through his mouth, the cold air made his breath visible. He opened his eyes and revealed hellish red irises, with reptilian slits for pupils, he had a freakishly wide grin revealing sharp teeth that had blood all over as he landed on the ground. The blood over his clothes and head suddenly ran into his mouth, like water on a windshield.

The Changeling breathed heavily as he trembled, this thing was terrifying to look at, like he was staring death in the face. He turned his direction to the forest as he closed his eyes, trying to calm himself, but felt something was off after half a minute. He opened his eyes and saw the evil creature grinning at him, his face a mere foot from his own. The Changeling panicked, but the evil demon grabbed him by the throat and slammed his back against the trees he was hiding behind. The demon hissed like a wicked snake as he exhaled through his mouth, smiling like a twisted clown.

The demon looked at his prey, who was so terrified he was shedding tears with fright, he grinned sadistically as he said in a deep voice, "Yesss, strengthen me with your feeeeaaarrr…I have not seen a quivering Changeling in thousands of yearsss, not since I was sealed in that tomb by that wretched human girl, the ancient Alicorn King, and that Dragon God, Guāng lóng Fùshì…"

The demon's tongue snaked around as it licked the blood from his victim's head, the Changeling stuttered fearfully, "P-p-please spare me…I-I-I-I have a family that needs m-m-m-me…"

The demon forced the quivering Changeling to look him into his red eyes as he said, "Is that so…? Good…you can watch them…DIEEEEE…! Unless, you are willing to feed me the FLLESHHH and the BLLOODD of the living to keep them safe, from meeee!!!"

As he hissed with delight as he said those words, he transformed from a human-like shape, to a large creature so terrifying, that the Changeling screamed at the top of his lungs as the demon's shadow covered him.

The demon once again forced his cowering prey to look him into his fiery red eyes as he asked in a monstrous voice, "Do we have a deal…?"

The Changeling had a good heart and hated the thoughts that he was making a deal with, essentially a devil, and the thought of his precious family getting killed by this, monster. He nodded, as the demon chuckled loud and broke into a psychotic laughter that echoed through the air.

Princess Celestia awoke it a cold sweat, having a terrifying premonition that make her tremble with fear. Equus' oldest and most terrifying enemy, has awakened once more…
A being that was the source of all evil upon this universe, Jigoku no akuma no kyūketsuki…

Alastoris the Dijinn…

Author's Note:

:rainbowderp:………………Wow……That turned dark, and I am normally against such violence……

A volcano, why?
Because of those crystals that Twilight was trapped in during A Canterlot Wedding, when Chrysallis was being a troll, they looked like the glassy rock, obsidian. Obsidian is known to form from volcanic lava, so I assumed that Canterlot was on a dormant volcano. And before you say anything, obsidian is known for being purple to black in color, and is a somewhat fragil rock, also looks like a gem when light shines on it a certain way…

Anyways, here he is, the main antagonist of My Little Pony - The Age of Dinosaurs, any guesses on what this Alastoris really is? He's not a Dijinn, that is a title, a lot of them are titles involving this…*eewwwugh*:pinkiesick:…thing…But, who are the human girl, Alicorn King, and Dragon God? I'll tell you this, the human was only known by this one name; Lauren…

Try translating the other language pieces I put in here marked like this, bonus points if someone can accurately translate the Latin phrase…

Without a doubt, this is the darkest chapter I've written so far…that may change in the future…
A shout out to Laci the Hunter, for giving me suggestions on what the antagonist should look like, but I used your suggestions of a male alicorn and a dragon as two of three beings that sealed the demon away in that tomb.

In case your wondering, and I guess save you the trouble;
"Guāng lóng Fùshì" is simplified Chinese for "Dragon of Light"
And…
"Jigoku no akuma no kyūketsuki" is Japanese for "The Demon Vampire of Hell"

Hmm…
No new dinosaurs this time…
Meh…

What is in store for the Mane Six, now that this monster has awakened? We'll just have to wait and see. This chapter was so depressing, I'll definately make a more light-hearted one in the future…

*EDIT*: Bonus...Play this when Alastoris rises from the ground...

Leave your comments, suggestions, etc. wherever you think they should go, and I'll try to respond…
You know the drill…

Until next time…
Bye…