• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,266 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,266

PreviousChapters Next
Keeping Busy

////
Keeping Busy
////

A few days had passed, and things were going well enough in Ponyville, well, except the impending doom they all felt. Rarity was finishing with her last customer of the day, so she could eat, and get to bed. She hadn’t been sleeping too well lately.

Spike had left about a half an hour ago to start making her dinner, and she could smell cooking vegetables wafting into the main area of the store, and it was making her mouth water to the point that she was having trouble dealing with the final shopper.

“So, I was thinking I would wear the two of these,” The plump, yellow earth pony said, showing Rarity two things that didn’t match whatsoever.

“Oh yes, mhmm,” Rarity replied instantly, looking over her shoulder toward the kitchen and sighing, “Would you like me to ring these up for you?”

“You really think these look nice?” The mare asked, proud that Rarity agreed with her, “Ponies always tell me that I have a rotten fashion sense!”

Rarity gave her a quick look over and coughed embarrassingly, seeing that this mare was trying to mix something very shiny and sleek, with something very poofy.

“Oh, no dear,” Rarity said, levitating the matching bottom to the sleek top, “I believe this is the one you’ll be interested in.”

“Oh? You think so?” She asked, trotting off toward the changing room, and closing the door behind her.

Rarity sighed and sat herself on the floor, wishing that she could have whatever it was that Spike was cooking her right now. But, it seemed that a customer would always show up one minute before closing, and stick around for forty five minutes.

“Hey, Rarity!” Spike said, trotting out into the room, smiling at her, “Did you finish with that last customer? It sure sucks when they barge in this late, huh?”

“Spike, hush!” Rarity said quickly, pointing to the changing room ad frowning at him.

Spike went wide-eyed and quickly thought up a way to fix his big mouth, “I was just joking when I said that thing a second ago… about ponies coming in late…”

“Oh, it’s wonderful!” She said, opening the door, obviously having missed Spikes comment, “But a bit out of my price range, I’m afraid, do you mind if I keep looking?”

Rarity bit her lip, and looked at Spike with huge eyes. She didn’t want to deal with this anymore.

“It’s on the house,” Spike sighed, gesturing the mare toward the door, “But that’s only on the table for the next… Ten seconds!”

The mare opened her mouth to speak, looked between the two of them, but immediately turned and trotted out the door.

Locking the door with a spell as soon as it closed.

“Spike… I appreciate the help, but that dress cost several hundred bits…” Rarity said, wondering if that was truly the solution to their problem.

“Charge it to the castle,” Spike laughed, levitating the card Celestia had given them three years ago out from behind the counter, “Celestia told us to abuse it last time you mentioned the card, didn’t she?”

“I feel so horrible doing that, though,” Rarity muttered, knowing that there was literally zero downside to using the card once every six months.

“Just dock my pay then,” Spike winked, as Rarity looked up to him smirking.

“You don’t make any money,” She giggled, “You passed on that, remember?”

Levitating her up from her sitting position on the floor, he stood her right in front of him.

Leaning forward, he pressed his snout to hers and laughed, “Maybe we can call it even then?”

Pulling away from him, she sighed and smiled, “Well, I suppose that’s fair. Let’s eat, shall we? What’s on the menu?”

“Well, I made some soup,” Spike said, scratching the back of his head, hoping that would make her happy, “Some onions, carrots, celery, and a ton of noodles, if that’s okay…”

Rarity’s stomach growled in response to his description.

“Good to hear,” Spike smiled, “Let’s eat up, then get to bed. Tomorrow’s going to be busy, we both know it.”

////

The night for Twilight was just as busy as Spike and Rarity.

She sorted through the returned books in the library slowly. Since she had been in the Crystal Empire, about five million books had been dropped off!

Well, maybe that was exaggerating it by a few million, but it was loads of work.

Returning books was always the bane of her existence here in Ponyville. It was slow, tedious, and made her feel like crying. If only she had Spike, so she could just unload the job on him…

“Hey, Twilight!” Alpha said, stepping out of his new room without any form on, “I was thinking I’d go walk around a little bit in town, maybe go scope out a few job opportunities!”

“I already told you!” Twilight huffed, her mood lousy from this horrid book returning, “You don’t need a job!”

“Well, I’d hate to, you know… Freeload…” Alpha said, trailing off at the huge stack of books she had to put away, feeling genuinely bad for her, “Do you need some help?”

Twilight looked up from a book with narrowed eyes, as she slowly opened them in realization of what he could do for her. Slow growing an evil smile, Twilight started rubbing her hooves together, while giving Alpha the craziest set of ‘crazy-eyes’ he had ever seen.

“What are you scheming?” He asked taking a step back from her.

“Hey… You said you wanted a job, right?” Twilight asked, her smile growing ever larger.

“Yeah…” Alpha nodded slowly, wondering if she had thought up some kind of horrible cleaning job for him to do, and make her life a million times easier.

Levitating the massive pile of books from beside her, she dropped them next to him and instantly snapped from ‘crazy-Twilight,’ to ‘Puppy dog-Twilight.’

“Could you put these away?” She asked, pretty sure that he would do anything for her anyway.

“Sure!” He nodded quickly, very happy to have an opportunity to please her, “Just these ones?”

One of Twilight’s eyes twitched as she shook her head and pointed to a massive bookcase by the door, which easily held three times the pile next to him.

“Those to!” She said happily.

“Oh…” Alpha murmured, not regretting his offer a little but, “Well, as long as that’s all—“

“Well, and those, and those, those, those, and those,” Twilight instructed, pointing to several other shelves around the room, “Have fun! I need a nap!”

Alpha bit his lip as Twilight trotted up to her room, and closed the door behind her.

She was using him! That minx!

////

Alex and Dash sat in the new Canterlot- or Ponyville Guard headquarters, filing out the paperwork for the alicorn to join her platoon.

“Isn’t this a conflict of interest?” Alex asked, as Dash finished her paperwork, drafting him into the Ponyville Guard, “I mean, you want me to be a soldier, under you!”

“Well, if you’re lucky,” Dash winked, giggling at the obvious joke, “But you need to be doing something while I’m at work! And I can’t trust you alone, since you wrecked the house!”

Alex grimaced. She was never going to let him live down destroying all of her stuff like that.

“Is everypony okay with this?” Alex asked, giving up on arguing with her, “Like, the other guards?”

“I’m the boss! They have to listen to me!” Dash laughed, sliding a paper over to Alex to sign, “Just sign this, and we’ll be ready to go!”

“Do I need any special training?” Alex asked, looking over his employment contract quickly, “Like, specialized hoof to hoof combat stuff?”

“Nope,” Dash shook her head, “Magic’ll do you just fine!”

“What about a uniform?” Alex asked, signing on the line she needed and looking up, “Do I have to wear normal soldier garb?”

“Again, nope,” Dash answered, digging into her desk and pulling out an all too familiar piece of armor, “You’ll wear your old armor set, from the changelings.”

Alex would have complained, but actually loved the way it looked. He was happy at that development.

Levitating the hefty metal pads on to his shoulders and lower back, Alex cast the usual spell on them, causing them to open up and spread across his body, clinking into place over his chest and each of his legs, until his entire body was covered, save his head, which was still missing the helmet he bashed off back at the castle.

“Welcome to the Ponyville Guard, Alex,” Dash said, extending a hoof to him.

“Uh… Thanks?” Alex laughed nervously, “Am I gonna have to work hard here?”

“Na,” Dash laughed, “You have a lot of pull with the boss, don’t worry.”

////

Author's Note:

As for all of you that are waiting on the next big thing to start up in the story, don't worry it's being worked on.

PreviousChapters Next