• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,261 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,261

PreviousChapters Next
Adjusting to a New Life

////
Adjusting to a New Life
////

Scootaloo squinted as she opened her eyes. The morning sun was shining on her eyes through her window.

Where was she today?

Canterlot!

Looking around her room in the castle, she smiled. It was pretty cool having a place to herself. She was always in such a cramped room back at the orphanage, since she shared it with a few other ponies. However, one thing she hadn’t expected to happen was the loneliness that came with it. Back at the orphanage, if she ever got scared, or had a nightmare, she was always surrounded by her friends when she woke up, and she would be comforted by that. But now when she awoke… It was just silence. That was something that she was going to need to get used to.

She had only been here a few days, and it was obviously an adjustment for Luna. But Celestia seemed to be used to having a child around. Twilight had been her student, so Scootaloo assumed that’s why she knew what she was doing.

Looking over to her calendar, she suddenly perked up. Tonight was the Cutie Mark Crusader sleep over!

“Aww yeah!” Scootaloo cheered as she jumped up, and started shaking her hair until it looked presentable.

Opening up her door, she trotted down the hallway happily, toward the dining room where she was going to partake in royal breakfast. Of course, it was no different from regular breakfast, but she added the ‘royal’ to it, because of the diverse selection of food they had to eat. Back at the orphanage, all she ever got was cream of wheat. And she HATED cream of wheat.

“Good morning,” One of the guard said respectfully, as Scootaloo walked past.

“How’s guard duty today?” She asked, “Is it exciting?!”

“Not quite,” He laughed, “But who knows, maybe something exciting will happen.”

“I hope so!” She said, as she continued on her way, entering the dining room.

As usual, the table was stocked, but nopony had arrived to eat yet.

So, taking advantage of that, she grabbed a plate, and jumped between chairs so she could reach whatever it was that she wanted on her plate. Finally, after satisfying herself, she sat down in the chair, and began eating her pancakes, hash browns, and French toast.

A few minutes of silence passed, before Celestia walked into the room.

“Good morning, Scootaloo,” She smiled, “Up nice and early I see.”

“With this kind of grub waiting for me, how can I resist?” Scootaloo laughed, her mouth full of food.

Celestia decided to act ‘business-as-usual,’ in the presence of the filly, instead of being in ‘serious’ mode. The attack on Manehattan had been bad news, and much needed to be done. But, for now, she could act like everything was just fine.

“Well eat up, you need to get to school,” Celestia said, sitting down at her usual spot, and making herself a plate.

“It’s Saturday!” Scootaloo laughed, “I’m off today!”

Celestia cocked her head, “Is it Saturday? I lose track of time so easily.”

“Yup!” Scootaloo beamed, “But I’m having a sleep over with my friends tonight, so I’ll be leaving anyway.”

“That sounds exciting,” Celestia smiled, “What are you going to do during your sleep over?”

“We’re gonna get our Cutie Marks!” Scootaloo said, excited as usual on the subject, “We’re gonna stay up all night, and find them!”

“Up all night?” Celestia smiled, “You must take after Luna.”

“Celestia,” Luna said seriously, walking into the room, “I wish to discuss our plan-“

Luna noticed Scootaloo, ignorantly sitting at the table, chewing on a pancake.

“Good morning, Scoot-Ah-Loo,” Luna asked, moving the topic away from battles, “It was the two of you discussing me just now, yes?”

“We were just joking around,” Celestia said, “Did anything eventful happen last night?”

“It was, as every night has been since I got back from the moon,” Luna sighed, “Uneventful.”

“You’re more than welcome to work some day shifts,” Celestia offered, “I would welcome the piece that comes with the night.”

“Actually,” Luna smiled, as she sat down and served herself a plate, “Alex lent me his eye-pod, and showed me how to hurl the upset birds at the pigs!”

Celestia cocked her head again.

“It passes the time quite well! I must have lost five hours to it.” She smiled, before turning to her young descendant, and realizing something, “Oh! You must hurry! We don’t want you to be late for school!”

“I’m off today!” Scootaloo giggled at the déjà vu, “But I do need to get back, because I’m sleeping over with the girls tonight!”

“Oh!” Luna said, “I always lose track of weekdays.”

“Everypony around here does,” Scootaloo laughed, before polishing off the remainder of her food.

The other two quickly finished their own food, before standing up, and preparing to head out on their own ways.

“Guards!” Luna called out the door, “Proceed!”

And with that, a line of staff from within the castle filed into the room, and each started filling their own plates so they could have some of the still plentiful amounts of food.

Scootaloo sat in her chair, and watched everypony do this. It was something she had done over the past few days she had been here. But, one thing that she thought was a shame, was that the remainder of the food was always thrown out. The princesses would have given it to the townsponies, but it would just create a demand for free breakfast for everypony in Canterlot. Which would greatly increase how much would be made in the first place. So, whatever wasn’t eaten would be thrown it. It made her feel a bit bad.

If only there was something they could do it with it. The poor kids at the orphanage would have loved to eat something like this…

Then the idea hit her.

“Luna! Luna!” Scootaloo called running out the dining room door.

“Yes, Scoot-Ah-Loo?” Luna pronounced, “What is it?”

////

Scootaloo smiled as she walked out the front door of the Orphanage.

Luna had just teleported both herself, and the remainder of the ‘royal’ breakfast to the orphanage for the kids. Something that Luna agreed she would do with the remainder of the food from now on, since it was going to a good cause.

Well… And because cream of wheat was horrible.

After that, Luna had gone back to Canterlot, leaving Scootaloo to her own devices for the day, expecting to see her again in the next couple of days.

Luna was really interesting to Scootaloo. She was a genuinely good mare, that cared about her. But… She was a bit clueless at times. Scootaloo didn’t think she was stupid by any means, but a lot of modern conventions were completely mysterious to her. Back in Manehattan, they had passed by a dance club that was pretty busy, and Luna had no idea what she was looking at. Even the music that had been blasting through the doors made her uncomfortable. It was some kind of techno song, not that Scootaloo knew much about it herself. But compared to Luna, she was a walking encyclopedia on present times. As strange as it sounded, Luna would learn just as much from Scootaloo, as Scootaloo would learn from her.

It was like having sister… That had been on the moon for a thousand years.

Trotting up the path, Scootaloo reached The Carousel Boutique, and knocked on the door.

Opening the door, Rarity immediately smiled, “Good morning, Scootaloo,”

“Hey Rarity!” She smiled, “Is Sweetie Belle here today?”

“She sure is,” Rarity said, “She’s been going on about the sleepover tonight non-stop.”

“I’m so excited for it!” Scootaloo smiled.

“It sounds like it,” Rarity laughed, “I’ll go fetch her for you.”

“Thanks,” Scootaloo said.

After a few seconds, Sweetie Belle zipped to the door, “Hey Scoots!”

“Hey Sweetie!” She greeted back, “Are you ready to go get Alex and Spike?”

“Sure am!” She squeaked, “I’m going out Rarity!”

“Alright dear!” Rarity answered, “Check in at lunch!”

“Okay!” She called, running out the door, closing it behind her.

“Let’s run over there, so we can have as much time to find our Cutie Mark as possible!” Scootaloo said.

“I wish your scooter could fit all five of us,” Sweetie said, “That would make things so much faster!”

////

*Knock knock*

“One sec!” Applejack called, carefully lifting her pie up, to place it in her oven.

*Knock knock*

“Of all the—“ Applejack groaned, as she lowered the pie, “Gimmie a minute!”

*Knock knock*

“Oh!” Apple Bloom said running into the kitchen, “That’s for me!”

During her mad sprint for the front door, Apple Bloom momentarily lost control of herself, and slightly bumped into Applejack, knocking the pie into the air.

The pie spun in what seemed like slow-motion to Applejack, as Apple Bloom opened the door, shouted that she would be back, and then closed the door.

Of course, the pie had hit the floor long since then… But it sure seemed like it took hours for that soon-to-be delicious pie to splat.

Sighing, Applejack sat down. She had been looking forward to pie all morning…

////

“Where’s Alex an’ Spike?” Apple Bloom asked, seeing just the two of her friends.

“They’re still exhausted from their trip to Manehattan,” Scootaloo explained.

“But, you were there, an’ yer not tired!” Apple Bloom said to Scootaloo.

“I know, right?” Scootaloo groaned.

“If they keep this up, they’ll get their Cutie Marks in laziness!” Sweetie sighed.

“Well, we can’t slow down on their account,” Scootaloo said, “What are we gonna to do first?”

“Ah’ve got a whole list of ideas!” Apple Bloom said, “But Ah left ‘em in my room! Ah’ll go grab ‘em!”

The two watched Apple Bloom run inside, and then exit a minute later, with an odd look on her face.

“What’s up?” Scootaloo asked her.

“Mah’ sis’ was lookin’ upset over sumthin’” Apple Bloom shrugged.

“What do you mean?” Sweetie asked.

“Ah’ don’t rightly know!” Apple Bloom shrugged, “So, I told her to make a pie, since I know those always cheer her up!”

“Good idea!” Scootaloo said, “Everypony loves pie!”

“But it just seemed to make her sadder,” Apple Bloom sighed.

“We could always try to make her one!” Sweetie suggested.

“Remember what happened last time?” Scootaloo asked, “We should try something else today, since we know we’re not bakers.”

“Check your list!” Sweetie said quickly, remembering why Apple Bloom had gone in to the house in the first place.

“Oh yeah!” Apple Bloom said, taking the scroll from her saddlebag and extending it across the ground.

The day continued, as they frantically tried every single thing on Apple Bloom’s list. However, nothing seemed to work. But that didn’t matter at all to them. They were having a sleepover tonight, and they thought it was going to be legendary.

And as it turned out, it totally was.

////

PreviousChapters Next