• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,261 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,261

PreviousChapters Next
Confronting Chaos

////
Confronting Chaos
////

“This is driving me crazy!” Pinkie shouted, her body almost vibrating within the small stairwell, “W-what are we even supposed to do? There’s no sheet music! There’s no nothing!”

“It’s a shame Twilight isn’t here,” Rarity said, placing a hoof under her chin, “She used to have a body pillow of Starswirl in the library. She would probably know his favorite song as well...”

“Really?” Dash asked, “I never saw it.”

“Oh, it was usually hidden away,” Rarity mumbled, regretting giving that secret away so carelessly.

“Well I can’t blame her,” Alex shrugged, “I met the guy. He wasn’t too bad, for his age.”

“Why is everypony being so casual about this!?” Pinkie shouted, “I’m not meant to stay in the same place this long!”

“Well what would you have us do, Pinkie?” Rarity asked, “It’s not as if any of us have a way of getting out of this hallway!”

“Pinkie, you should try relaxing, and smiling, like me!” Fluttershy said softly, placing a hoof on her friends’ shoulder, “Just think… the longer we’re trapped here, the safer we are!”

It was at that moment, that Pinkie literally began to vibrate.

“I can’t take it!” She shouted.

////

“Sister, can you hear me?” Luna asked hopefully, looking to the hanging form of the white princess next to her.

However, she was long past the point of being able to speak. The hole in her side had only somewhat been healed by Twilight, and was still oozing blood, which had began to harden down the side of her still form.

Luna, wanted to beg Twilight for assistance, or to tell her to fight back against the demon inside of her… but she feared what might become of her if she did.

“So… what should I do first?” Twilight said aloud, her gaze lingering over all of Canterlot, and the distant Ponyville, “Perhaps I should deal with that blue mare first… she’s been able to contain me before.”

Luna knew she was referring to Trixie, but again, held her tongue, and hoped silently that help was on the way.

“She’ll be here soon enough, I suppose.” She finished, turning around to face her two captives.

Luna grimaced as Twilight smiled to her.

“I know you’re scared… worried that I might rip your wings off… but you don’t have to worry about that just yet.” She said, “Any moment, the Elements of Harmony are going to solve the piano puzzle in the stairwell, and make their way up here. And when they get here… you’re going to watch as I bring all of my chaotic friends out from within them.”

“So you did have a plan…” Luna said deeply, “Or did you just come up with it on the spot?”

“Well, to be honest, I was working through the trove of information in my head that Twilight has tried to keep from me.” Twilight said, leaning in toward Luna and smiling, “But after some work, I think I’ve found a way to rip the ponies away from the dark sides that they all accepted.”

“That’s impossible.” Luna shook her head, “Those ponies fused with their darker sides! They don’t just come back out! It’s impossible!”

“Up until a few months ago, Twilight would have agreed with you,” She said, taking a step back from the princess, “But, do you remember how Dax, Alex’s dark side, magically showed up again to deal with Dash and her dark side?”

Luna was silent. That particular detail had slipped her mind.

“That shouldn’t have been possible either.” Twilight continued, running a hoof over her chin as she spoke, “I deduced that the broad acceptance of his dark side led to the idea of his dark side overtaking his original personality.”

“That makes no sense.” Luna growled.

“Sure it does!” Twilight laughed, cracking her neck to the side, “Whether or not he realized it, he’s spent the last few years turning into his dark side. The Alex we know today, is far from the one that originally came to Ponyville. He’s crass, rude, and much more enjoyable, if you want Twilight’s true feelings on the matter.”

“So what?” Luna demanded, “Just because he embraced his dark side to such an extreme extent, doesn’t mean that the others will do the same thing!”

“I don’t need them to do the same thing!” She chuckled, “All I need, is to push their minds in the right direction! I’ll knock them all out, and foster thousands of horrible images into their dreams- well, to them, it’ll be as real as the conversation we’re having right now.”

“And from there?” Luna asked.

“After they’re exposed to enough stimuli, their personalities will fundamentally change to conform with their chaotic sides.” She continued, “Do you understand? I could give them nothing but pleasant dreams, and they’d start to show less of their chaotic sides. So if I show them horrific dreams instead, the opposite would happen.”

Luna didn’t answer. Everything she was saying made perfect sense.

“And once they’re transformed, they’ll follow me in to battle.” Twilight said, looking up to the sky, “And, when the… entity…. arrives that’s been threatening our world, I’ll raze it from the planet in an instant.”

////

Pinkie was literally vibrating in place, causing all her friends to worry a significant amount. They had seen her nervous before, but being trapped in the tight hall was starting to make her seem a little bit scary to some of them.

“Pinkie…?” Dash asked, leaning in front of her, and staring her in the face, “Are you okay?”

“I… I dunno…” She said looking quickly between Dash and Fluttershy.

“Are you any closer to solving the puzzle, Rarity?” Fluttershy asked her, gazing over Pinkie’s hair to the white mare behind her.

“I’m afraid I’m all out of possible solutions,” Rarity sighed, sitting down a few steps above the rest of her friends. “There is nothing in this tower that even resembles a clue.”

Pinkie began shaking more.

“You need to calm down, Pinkie.” Trixie said, “If we stress out, it’s not going to get us anywhere.”

“You have to be a little curious how this is going to end,” Alex muttered in Applejack’s ear, “Pinkie’s never acted this way before.”

She frowned slightly, but nodded.

“Uh, Pinkie?” Rarity spoke up, taking a couple of steps toward the mare, “What ever is that on the back of your neck?”

Pinkie didn’t respond.

Trixie, being the closest to her back, walked down and moved her hair to the side, revealing a small glowing aura on the back of her neck, that seemed to be growing.

“It looks like magic.” Trixie said, looking up to Rarity, and then back to the girls below.

“How is that possible?” Dash asked, trying to cast a spell herself, but having no luck.

“Ponies have been known to do some amazing things, in regards to magic, if they’re in the right kind of situation.” Alex said, remembering his magic lessons from so many years ago, “It’s a kind of… hysterical strength.”

“So, Pinkie is so nervous, that she’s overcoming the anti-magic field?” Dash asked, looking over her shoulder toward Alex and Applejack, “Could we… use that?”

They all turned to face Pinkie.

“It could also be that she still has extra chaotic magic in her,” Trixie observed.

“Well, no matter what it is, I don’t think we’re going to have to solve this dumb piano puzzle.” Alex laughed.

////

“It sounds to me like ruling Equestria is going to happen whether you like it or not.” Luna said, her eyes locked with the monstrosity in front of her, “After all, you’re already talking about keeping it safe from those who wish to do it harm.”

“I only care about it enough to ensure I can still live here.” She scoffed.

“Well, you and your baby.” Luna said slowly, narrowing her gaze.

“You have no idea how lucky you’ve been so far,” Twilight growled, looking down at her stomach, which was in no way showing, “This parasite has caused me nothing but trouble. It will leech off my power for far too long.”

Luna smirked.

Twilight scowled.

“You think it’s funny? Satisfying? What I deserve?” Twilight asked, approaching the princess, as her horn began to glow, “Well, then I suppose I should think about what you deserve. One wing? Or none?”

As the same spell that had just been used on Celestia gripped around Luna’s left wing, she closed her eyes in anticipation of the agonizing pain that was sure to follow. However, before anything happened, the spell weakened, and then disappeared completely.

“What is that?” Twilight said out loud, as Luna opened her eyes to look around the room.

“…what?” Luna asked.

The possessed mare didn’t answer. She only looked to the hidden entrance to the never-ending stairwell, as a beam of light began shining through the bricks in the floor.

“Cheaters.” Twilight muttered.

The blocked floor was blown open by a pink laser, and only moments later, seven ponies ran up through the new hole in the floor.

“Well, it certainly took you long enough,” Twilight rolled her eyes, “Couldn’t solve the puzzle I assume?”

“How did you expect us to?!” Pinkie shouted, her eye twitching as the massive buildup of magic around her began to fade, “We looked everywhere! There weren’t any clues, there wasn’t any music coming from the steps!”

“The solution was simple!” Twilight barked, “The bells on Star Swirl’s hat each played a different note when rung, and harmonized with one another! The seven of you needed to step on those keys at the same time, and it would have chimed, and opened the path!”

Each of their jaws hit the floor at the same time.

“How could we have possibly figured that out!?” Applejack shouted.

“That’s an insane puzzle!” Trixie added.

“Bullshit!” Twilight shot back, “I could have solved it!”

Everypony rolled their eyes.

“What a surprise, Twilight can solve puzzles better than the rest of us.” Dash said.

“Princess!” Fluttershy shouted, bolting past everypony, so she could reach Celestia.

“Oh no you don’t!” Twilight said, as a spell surrounded Fluttershy, and dragged her back to the rest of them, “Don’t you worry about her!”

“What did you do to her?!” Fluttershy demanded, tears welling in her eyes at the sight, “Her wing is gone!”

“She’s alright…” Luna’s soothing voice said from beside her sister, “Don’t worry about us right now.”

The yellow mare bit her lip and nodded.

“So, is this going to be your throne room when you take over Equestria?” Alex asked, “Looks like you’ve redecorated.”

“I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again,” She rolled her eyes in a very Twilight-like way, “I’m not going to rule anything!”

“That’s crap.” Applejack spoke up, “If everypony’s afraid of ya, there’s no difference.”

“Well, I must say, that ruler or not, you certainly don’t look the part.” Rarity chimed in.

“And you’d need a cool name,” Alex said, “Twilight Sparkle is kinda boring, don’t you think? Maybe change it to something like… Midnight Sparkle! Oooh! That sounds good!”

“Don’t give her any ideas…” Dash sighed.

“I think it sounds good too!” Pinkie nodded rapidly, a smile on her lips.

“It’s almost like we’re all friends here.” Twilight muttered, her patience surprising most of the ponies in the room.

“So why did you drag us up here then, if it’s not to show off your new pad?” Dash asked, looking around the tower slowly, “To have some kind of epic showdown with us, right?”

“Of sorts.” She responded, clearly happy that they had moved past the inane conversations, as her horn began to glow, “But I’d like to think that it’s more of an immediate surrender, on all of your parts. After all, what magic can any of you use anyway?”

Nopony could react before they were all blasted with her chaotic spell, which left all of them bound in black energy. The only one who was spared, was Trixie, as the spell didn’t make any attempt to grab her.

“H-hey! No fair!” Pinkie said, reaching down to bite the black ribbon that had wrapped around her, “We didn’t even get to try to fight you!”

“I think that was the point,” Rarity grumbled.

Alex struggled against the magic, but had just as much success as the other girls fighting for their freedom. None.

”Trixie.”

“Aurora?” Trixie said aloud.

“No!” Twilight shouted, her gaze instantly on the blue mare, “You and your friend won’t be interfering with my conquest again!”

Twilight rushed toward the blue mare with a single teleportation, and, using a spell that gave her a rudimentary hand, gripped Trixie by her neck, lifting her off the floor.

“I’m done worrying about you, and the unknown factor you present to me.” She said, walking the oxygen deprived mare over to the largest stain glass window, “At least you can experience what it’s like to be a Pegasus for a few moments.”

Trixie fought against the grip, but her hooves found no purchase on the hand around her neck. And before she could try anything else, Twilight wound up, and threw her into the glass, shattering it as her body exited the tower and plummeted toward the ground.

“Trixie!” Everypony shouted at once.

Twilight turned back to face the horrified ponies in the center of the room.

“Are you all still awake?” The chaotic beast asked, “I think it’s time you all took a nap.”

Then, with a snap of her magical fingers, the Elements of Harmony all fell unconscious.

“Watch closely, Princess.” Twilight said, “You’re one of only two ponies in existence that’ll witness the corruption of true harmony.”

////

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long, I wound up changing things twice before I settled where it is. Needed to work something complicated out that I'm going to be using later.

PreviousChapters Next