• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,295 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,295

PreviousChapters Next
Riding Home - Misery

////
Riding Home – Misery
////

Twilight stepped out of the royal train car in pursuit of Princess Luna, despite what she had just said to Celestia, the young mare was more concerned with checking on the princess of the night. It was obvious that she had taken it a little harder than she should have, which perhaps meant that something else was wrong.

Looking around the car with all of her friends, she couldn’t spot Luna.

“Hey, Marick…” Twilight said in a hushed voice to the changeling, as he spoke with Pinkie and Applejack, “Did you see Luna come through here?”

“She went to the next car,” Alpha answered, “It looked like she was in a hurry.”

Alpha gestured to the door at the end of the car, as he turned back to Pinkie and asked her again about the party cannon she blasted Aries with in the DZ.

Moving past them, Twilight paid no mind to the rest of the ponies as she moved through their section, and in to the next one.

As she walked over the threshold, she spotted Luna standing at the door to the back of the train with her head hung low.

“Princess?” Twilight asked carefully, walking toward the silent mare, “Are you okay?”

“Ah… Twilight Sparkle.” Luna said softly, “Come to check on me, I see.”

“Well, after… what Celestia said, and how you reacted… I figured that something had to be up.”

“It’s nothing,” Luna shook her head, still facing away from her friend, “I was… just taken by surprise, that’s all.”

Twilight didn’t believe her.

“Turn around, Princess.” Twilight said softly.

Luna couldn’t help but laugh softly at Twilight’s ability to see the obvious.

Turning around, she revealed the tear stained cheeks she had tried to hide so horribly.

“You don’t look surprised, Princess.” Twilight said quietly, “Why are you so shaken?”

Luna avoided the gaze of the purple mare, as her mind ran at a mile a minute.

“I… Well, Celestia has had a significant amount on her plate recently.” Luna admitted, “And it’s had a noticeable effect on her. Outbursts like the one you just witnessed are becoming more and more normal.”

“I see.” Twilight nodded, “I guess I’ve been so wrapped up in this dark side business, that I’ve failed to help you and her—”

“No,” Luna shook her head instantly, looking back to her with a serious expression, “You need to focus on the situation at hoof. I can look after my sister. You need to look after your friends.”

“There’s no way I can just ignore her now, Luna.” Twilight said, her formal attitude fading as she spoke, “Princess Celestia is like a second mother to me. I’ll do whatever I can to help her out right now.”

“The best thing for can do for her, is to focus on your life right now,” Luna reiterated, “She’s worried for you more than anything else in Equestria. If you start splitting your attention between her, and these end times, she’s only going to become more stressed. You must remain focused on what’s important.”

“She is important!” Twilight argued, “How could you say that you and her shouldn’t be priorities?”

“Because in the grand scheme of things, we truly aren’t,” Luna said, turning to look out the window at the endless desert rushing past them, “Every single person living in Equestria, and every other place on this planet are at risk right now. The two of us are nothing compared to the safety everypony else.”

Twilight didn’t respond, as she joined the princess in looking out the window.

“If you truly want to cure my sister of what ails her, then help your friends face their dark sides, and destroy that which Discord speaks of.” Luna said, her voice gaining authority as she made it sound more like an order, than a request.

“Only Pinkie and I remain,” Twilight said quietly, “Soon I’ll have to face… all of that darkness.”

“Your friends will keep you safe,” Luna said, an almost unnoticeable hesitation coming from her, “Everypony else has conquered the sins which crawled on their backs. You will be no different.”

Twilight felt a surge of determination at Luna’s encouragement, all of her friends has beaten the dark sides within them, why wouldn’t she?

Luna didn’t have the heart to tell her the truth… the plan that Discord had put in place to extract the Element of Magic, in order to save Twilight from the conglomeration of dark energy that had left her friends as they beat their dark sides, and gone in to her.

“Remember how Discord was talking about the ‘bountiful flatlands’ a few minutes ago?” Luna asked, moving the topic as far away from dark sides as possible.

Twilight nodded, looking to the princess silently.

“Well, when Nightmare Moon became one with me so many years ago, she gifted me some memories of her old hosts.” Luna said, looking outside once again, “And some of those memories remembered the flatlands before they rotted away.”

“Where were they?” Twilight asked, scratching her head, “I mean, I can’t think of a single place in Equestria that could have ever held them!”

“Believe it or not, you’re looking at them right now,” Luna said, gesturing out the window to the barren landscape before them, “The spell Discord spoke of was so effective at removing magic, that it never came back.”

Twilight blinked a couple of times. She couldn’t even begin to imagine this place as one that held life at any point in time.

“It was a good thing you were able to stop the Syphon before it did any more damage to this world.” Luna said, “Just a few more acts of heroism like that, and you and your friends will be able to rest easy.”

Twilight laughed, “If only it were that easy.”

“I suppose it might not be,” Luna smiled, “But that doesn’t mean you should think of it as impossible. Nothing is impossible. If you, and your friends put your minds to it, you could move a mountain. So don’t sell yourself short, ever.”

“I understand, Princess.” Twilight said, “Thank you.”

“Wonderful. Now, if you’ll excuse me. I’d like to have a few minutes to myself before I return to everypony else.” Luna said.

“Oh, of course!” Twilight said apologetically, stepping backward to the door, “Thanks for the talk, Luna.”

“Any time, Twilight.” She said politely, as the purple mare exited out the door swiftly.

As soon as Twilight was gone, Luna exhaled, and felt her smile vanish. She truly felt as if she had just lied to the mare.

“Do you have so little confidence in her?” Discord’s voice hummed through the air, “I’m disappointed in you, Luna.”

“Then tell me that she’ll be able to overcome her dark side,” Luna said, her tone almost defeated, “Tell me that after all is said and done, that we can go back to the way things were.”

“Well, you hate it when I lie,” Discord said, appearing in a chair next to her, “So I suppose I’ll give you a pass for your lack of faith.”

“And you’re sure that her element can’t be saved?” Luna asked.

Discord shook his head, “Every time one of her friends accepts their dark side, the chaos within her grows ever stronger. When I first heard that Trixie could counter that chaos, I had hope… but after seeing Twilight at the wedding, I know for a fact that she will be an unstoppable force.”

“And when that force arrives, you’ll absorb the chaotic element yourself?” Luna asked.

“I will,” Discord nodded, his expression one of mixed emotions, “I’ll be able to dispel the entity that inhabits Twilight, at the cost of becoming the Element of Magic myself.”

Luna grimaced as he spoke those words.

“It’s disgusting.” Luna said angrily, “You have no right to bare an Element of Harmony.”

“You don’t need to tell me,” Discord shook his head, “I’m still not sure if it’ll turn me to stone or not.”

“We can only hope.” Luna grumbled.

“Well, you certainly can, but remember.” Discord said, wagging his finger at her, “If it does, we’re all as good as dead.”

“Go.” Luna said to the furry serpent, “Leave me.”

“As you wish, your majesty.” Discord said, bowing his head to her, as he vanished.

Luna sighed and took the seat nearest to her right next to the window.

It was no wonder Celestia was so stressed. Her student was not only going to lose her element, but a tremendous amount of her magical ability as well.

“It’ll break her heart…” Luna muttered, feeling the tears return to her eyes.

While all of these facts caused stress and anger to manifest within Celestia, Luna felt nothing but deep sadness. The fact that the world could end tomorrow, Celestia was becoming less and less like the sister she remembered… Twilight was going to lose so much of herself.

It broke her heart. And there was nothing she could do about it.

////

PreviousChapters Next