• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,307 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,307

PreviousChapters Next
The Hive

////
The Hive
////

Alpha walked down toward the conference room, where he would be meeting with the council, the most trusted advisors to the Queen.

Since he returned home to the Hive, and announced the end of the war on the rest of the world, there had been a split in public opinion on the subject. Half of the hive welcomed it, and praised him as a hero for finally ending a both pointless, and endless battle they were forced to fight, while the wealthy sat back and pulled the strings.

The other half of the hive had been almost deadest against following the orders of somepony who wasn’t royalty. They refused to listen to Alpha, despite his being an Omega.

Unfortunately, the council took that very same position, and refused to move on the calling back of troops. They held enormous power themselves within the government, and Alpha was finding it harder and harder to argue his point, when they continued insisting on hearing the end be called by the queen, and nopony else.

Which, of course, put him in a bad position, as he had secretly locked Chrysalis up in the Equestrian dungeon, where she would be staying until she either came around... or, well, died of old age.

So, he simply had to make do with what he had, and hope for the best.

“Omega!” A voice called, as he looked across the room he had just entered, “You seem to enjoy wasting our time.”

Alpha held back an audible growl as he walked in to the meeting room and joined them at the table.

Around him, sat the five most powerful changelings in the hive- save Chrysalis and himself.

They had started as twelve different ponies, and each had controlled a different industry within the hive. They had been asked by the royalty to pool their resources together in order to help win the war. And when they accepted, they were each assigned one of the symbols of the zodiac. Just as a soldier would take on their name as their rank, so did the council members.

However, as the many years passed, members grew old and passed their titles on, leaving them to their first born children. Along with that, many of the businesses changed hooves, some went out of business, and others were simply made obsolete by the passage of time, and the creation of technology. So, of the original twelve, only five remained.

Aries. The head of all arms manufacturing, from swords to tanks, he created all means of destruction, and had been voted as the head of the council by the other members.

Taurus. His grandfather had successfully sold his fighting ability to the king of the Hive at the time, and had earned his place as the head of all military training facilities. He currently also held the rank of Alpha.

Cancer. The head of both internal, and external security within the Hive. It was his job to make sure that their defenses were fortified in the case of an attack from the outside world. There hadn’t been an attack on the hive in over twenty years, but both Cancer, and his father before him, were skilled in the art of paranoia, which securing their place in the council.

Virgo. He’s the head of agriculture, and the main supplier of food to the army. The amount of food they produced every day would have been known worldwide, had they not been trying to keep it hidden from the rest of the world.

Scorpios. The head of education. It was her job to educate the children of the hive, and make sure they were completely informed about the state of the world, and the importance of the war. It was, in Alpha’s opinion, the most vital component to their war efforts, as it churned out soldiers who were eager to get out and fight the world. The more soldiers coming out of the schools, the more funding the schools received.

And as it was, each of these members stood to lose a massive amount of money, and power, if the war were to ever end. So, they had been fighting him tooth and nail to make sure that their meat grinder kept on running.

“So,” Scorpios said, rolling her neck and filling the room with the cracks that came along with it, “What are the chances that you’ve come here to tell us you were wrong about the war?”

“Zero.” Alpha said, his gaze narrowed at the woman as she scoffed, “I was hoping you all would have come around to the better way of thinking.”

“Come around?” Cancer scoffed, looking between his fellow members, “You’re talking about leaving our nation completely defenseless, and waiting to be conquered!”

“Oh cut the crap!” Alpha shouted across the table, “Pretending that this is any more than you all being greedy, is a complete waste of time.”

“How dare you!” Aries said, slamming his hoof on the table, “We care for our subjects, and want nothing more than to keep them safe!”

Alpha rolled his eyes as visibly as he could.

Virgo spoke up before the table erupted in to shouting, as it had on so many occasions before.

“We represent the best interests of the hive,” Virgo said, almost convincing Alpha of his lies with his smooth, and powerful tone, “And without the Queen here, we are the ones that make the decisions! Not you!”

“I was made an Omega by the queen in front of our entire invasion army,” Alpha said, gesturing to the paintings on the wall of all previous Omega’s that had been within the hive, “The queen gave me the same power as her, and you all know that!”

Each of the members knew something was fishy behind Chrysalis’s sudden desertion, and figured that Alpha was the one behind it. So, in an effort to look like they were all still loyal followers of the royal family, they had insisted on hearing the words leave the queen’s mouth themselves.

“Once the Queen returns from her vacation, as you have said she’s currently on,” Taurus said with a serious expression, “She can give us the command, and we will comply.”

“It’s that easy.” Cancer agreed, as everypony else nodded, and grunted in reply.

It was obvious that they didn’t trust Alpha. In fact, they were so confident in that distrust, that they had put all of their eggs in the ‘We won’t stop until Chrysalis tells us too,’ basket.

It was something that endlessly infuriated Alpha, as he knew that Chrysalis would only support the war more after what he had done to her.

“Half of the hive still stands with me,” Alpha said, scanning across the table, “And you all know your businesses will grind to a dead stop if I make the call for them to stop working.”

“And you know that forcing half the hive in to unemployment would have disastrous consequences for all of them,” Aries retorted, “You and I both know that they would start the blame you for the lack of food on their table.”

Alpha sighed and rubbed his eyes. It was the same argument with these ponies every time he came here. They were simply unwilling to leave their positions, no matter what the circumstances.

“Well, if that’s everything,” Cancer said, stepping away from the table, “I have to get back to work.”

“Me as well,” Scorpios agreed, joining him in exiting the room.

“Same time same place next week?” Virgo asked, as he stretched and stepped back, “Maybe Omega will come around by then.”

They all walked past the fuming changeling, and were about to open the door, when Alpha finally spoke up.

“How do you all sleep at night?” Alpha asked quietly.

“Excuse me?” Aeries asked, turning to look at him along with all the others.

“By fighting me on this… you keep sending soldiers to die for a war that truly means nothing more to all of us than our pride.” Alpha said, not turning around to face them, “Mothers lose their sons every day. Wives lose husbands. Families are torn apart forever, because all of you insist on having… what, power?”

None of them replied. There was only a cold stare from each of them, directed at Alpha’s back.

“I feel like I should be so angry about it, that I’m screaming at the top of my lungs…” Alpha sighed, “But, all I can feel is disgust.”

Again, daggers were stared in to his flank.

“This war will end, even if it means that I break each of you down myself.” Alpha said, a growl escaping his throat at the end of the sentence.

“I hope that isn’t a threat.” Aries warned.

“Oh, believe me.” Alpha said, looking over his shoulder and looking him right in the eye, “It was a threat.”

“We don’t want to fight this war any more than you do.” Scorpios said, her tone clearly demonstrating how little she meant what she was saying, “We’re just looking out for the queen.”

Alpha turned away from them once again and remained silent.

“That’s what I thought.” She spat, turning around and storming out of the room, as she was followed by the rest of the council.

Alpha sighed and dropped his head to the table.

He was going to need to get Chrysalis’s support somehow… And he doubted he would get it if he just asked politely.

So, figuring that it was his only chance, Alpha decided that he would try to convince her to think back to her old lover. The two of them had spent a lot of their time discussing the end of the war… and maybe he could reignite that passion within her.

He just needed to figure out the right way to do it.

PreviousChapters Next