• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 18,522 Views, 247 Comments

Just an Assistant - RadicalDishonesty



Luna makes uncomfortable assertions about Spike's role in Twilight's life, and Twilight is having a hard time telling her she's wrong.

  • ...
26
 247
 18,522

Twilight and Luna have Tea

The late afternoon was beautiful in Ponyville. The birds were still chirping, the weather was pleasantly cool, the sun rested only slightly above the horizon, shining magnificently through the clouds. The weather department had outdone itself today.

And Princess Twilight Sparkle was panicking.

“Spike! Where is the tea cozy?!” Twilight cried, darting around the palace, looking around frantically.

“Uh… you’re holding it right now,” Spike replied in the sarcastic tone he liked to use.

Twilight glanced up at the red and blue argyle tea cozy floating in her violet aura. “Not this one!” she cried. “The nice one.”

Spike blinked. “The purple one? You gave that one to Zecora.”

Twilight gasped. “You’re right! I didn’t want to give her the ugly one! Now I don’t have a tea cozy for Princess Luna’s visit! What if she is offended by my lack of etiquette? She’s from a time when that was even more important than it is now! I’m going to offend her and she’s going to strip me of my title and palace! We’re going to have find a new place to live! Spike, you need to get the paper and the classifieds before we can’t afford it anymore!”

Spike grabbed Twilight’s head in his claws, and turned it to face his. “Twilight! Breathe!”

Twilight let out a huge gasp for air, then exhaled slowly.

Spike let go and smiled. “Better?”

Twilight nodded. “Yes. Thank you, Spike. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Spike puffed out his chest. “And you never will.”

As they shared a laugh, the knot of panic in Twilight’s chest bled away. She breathed easily. “Alright, I still want to do a last minute checklist. Ready, Spike?”

Spike nodded and rolled up his imaginary sleeves. “Yeah! Let’s get this tea party done right.”


Twilight sat at the tea table, her nerves returning.

“No… this is a casual meeting, between peers,” she reassured herself. “Even if she’s millennia old and you’re a couple decades old, she’s just here to have some calming tea, and chat about things. I could ask for advice, or talk about–”

The door to the tea room flew open, with the Princess of the Night leading the way. Immediately she boomed, “Princess Twilight Sparkle, we demand sustenance!!”

Twilight froze, her eyes as large as dinner plates.

Luna raised her head and glared down her muzzle towards Twilight. She held her gaze for several seconds, dramatically holding her hoof outward, her mouth sternly pursed.

A tiny snicker came from behind Luna, just outside the door. Luna’s expression wavered, and she cracked a tiny smile, before an undignified snerk escaped her muzzle, and she started giggling.

Twilight unfroze, and her shoulders unknotted. “Oh, thank goodness.”

“My apologies for the jape, Twilight Sparkle. I trust it did not cause overmuch distress?” Luna trotted up to the tea table, Spike in tow.

Twilight put her hoof to her chest, breathing heavily. “I’ll be okay. I’m just glad you’re in a good mood.”

“Indeed, I have been looking forward to today for some time now.” Luna took a seat at the table. “My schedule has become quite busy as of late.”

“So I had heard,” Twilight said. “Spike, please fetch the tea kettle.”

“Yes ma’am, Princess, ma’am,” Spike said, saluting and darting off.

Luna and Twilight watched Spike run off into the kitchen.

“So, how have you been?” Twilight asked. “How have you been coping with modern Equestria?”

“There have been more changes than I first suspected. Facts I assumed to simply be true have changed greatly, and I am still working out how many changes I honestly absorb, and how much I reject them.”

“Well, if you need some advice,” Twilight said. “I’m sure I could help you with many of the scientific and magical advances that might have come up since your time.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “If there is an outstanding question of science or magical studies I shall certainly consult you.”

Twilight squeaked in joy. She immediately brought her hooves to her mouth and blushed. Luna chuckled lightly.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Well… yes. I’m glad. What have you been up to?”

Luna gave a beleaguered sigh. “I have been dealing with the fallout of the arrest of Count Haute Tea of Fillydelphia, and the appointment of the new countess. The populace is being very obstinate.”

“Well, can you blame them? Not just the count, but the previous counts for… who knows how many generations have been stifling the nearby farms in order to promote their own interests and overcharge. I’m surprised it took them this long to find something to prosecute him over.”

“Count Haute Tea was indeed a corrupt individual, but the laws that were used to oust him proved sufficient to cull his corruption. The populace need not fear malfeasance from the new appointee.”

Spike waddled in, the steaming teapot gripped close to him and steaming in his face. He made contented noises as he walked across the room, and placed it in the middle of the table. He bowed dramatically. “Your tea is served, princesses,” he said with a put-upon accent. “Be careful, it is hot.”

“Thank you, Spike,” Twilight said, not even turning her head to watch him. “Don’t you think they have every right to want to control their own farms?”

“Their new Countess Candypants is of impeccable character.” Luna gestured toward herself. “I have been paying very close attention to her dreams, and done quite a bit of research on her past. I can personally vouch for her integrity.”

“I’m sure she’s a wonderful exemplar of nobility, but trust isn’t the only reason the farmers would resist her appointment,” Twilight said, beginning to raise her voice. “They’ve been running their own farms, banding together against the count’s machinations for at least a generation now, and they feel like they should have the right to continue running them. Without oversight.”

“I don’t understand them.” Luna sighed. “Candypants would be dedicating a significant part of her personal wealth, as well as her high education and connections to improving the operations of these farmers, and they could use the help after the abuse they felt at the hooves of Count Tea.”

“But in tons of places in Equestria farmers have transitioned to owning their own farms, and they’ve done well.”

“That does not mean that they are better managed than those that are owned by the crown. They do not have the benefit of the wealth and clout that a noble would bring. Besides, the Pants family has been adrift for a few generations now after their islands off of Baltimare sank. Her family has been very patient and earned this appointment with their dedication to Equestria despite their misfortune.”

“Those farmers have earned the farms with work on those farms!” Twilight slammed her hooves on the table for emphasis.

“Not legally they have not. Legally they have the right to live and work those farms, but not ownership of those farms. Dedication to their first right does not imply the second. It would be silly to ask them to take on this responsibility when we have a competent countess ready.”

“Well maybe the laws should change. We’re the princesses, we have that ability,” Twilight reminded.

Spike piped in. “Maybe it’s for the best that the new countess gets put in charge. Sounds like she would be a big help for them, giving them money–”

Twilight immediately snapped her eyes to him, giving him a withering glare.

Spike shrunk down a little. “–and… better... crops...” he finished lamely.

Twilight put her hoof to her chest, and breathed out, extending it as she did so. “Spike, I would appreciate it if you did not interrupt my conversation with Princess Luna.”

“I-I was just–”

Twilight put her hoof to his mouth, silencing him. “It’s fine. Why don’t you get us some cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner?”

Spike looked from Twilight to Luna awkwardly. “I… yes, ma’am.” He dragged his feet on the way out of the room.

Twilight sighed and turned back to Princess Luna, her eyes closed. “I’m sorry about that, Princess. Both for Spike’s behavior, and because I… got excited. Maybe we should switch topics.” When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Luna had a smile on her face.

“Twilight Sparkle, I believe I see what my sister sees in you,” Luna said, a warm glow in her voice. “Your handling of that situation was commendable.”

Twilight smiled weakly “You don’t need to flatter me,” Twilight said with a dismissive wave. “It wasn't a big deal. Spike means well.”

Luna nodded gracefully. “Of course he does, but your reaction to his disobedience is quite telling of your attitude for ruling. Kind and understanding, but firm. Distracting him by giving him an additional chore was quite clever as well, allowing him to feel useful even after your chastisement.”

Twilight's cheeks heated up and she smiled, trying to resist feeling giddy from the praise. “Thank you, Luna. That means a lot coming from you.”

“You appear to have raised him very well, even if he has a need to understand his place better. Many royals would be quite unkind to their bondservant if he intruded on a conversation above his station. I didn't have your kind of patience when I was your age. Your behavior to him is commendable.”

The butterflies in Twilight's stomach stopped fluttering, dropping into her upper intestines. “Bond...servant?”

Luna tilted her head inquisitively and frowned. “Has the term changed? It has been a long time.”

“Usually I just call him my assistant.”

“Is that all it is called now? It seems like such a pedestrian term for it.”

Twilight tried to calm herself down. “Yeah...”

Luna levitated her tea and sipped. “This is quite good. Is this a blend that my sister drinks?”

“No, this is a blend that Fluttershy uses to calm down after a stressful day. You had mentioned that you were under pressure lately, and I thought it might help.”

“It is quite calming indeed. I shall inquire about it from Dame Fluttershy.”

They both resumed sipping on their tea. Twilight smelled the tempting aroma, so good at easing the stress of a hectic day. She sipped it eagerly, hoping to clear her mind, but the knot remained in her stomach.

“Princess Luna...” Twilight began.

Luna smiled beneficently. “You do not have to use my title anymore; we are equals here.”

“About that...” Twilight swallowed. “What did you mean when you said ‘above his station’, before?”

Luna's ear twitched inquisitively. “Surely you must know it is inappropriate for a bon—assistant, to intrude on conversations beyond his station, correct? It is not his place to intrude on a conversation between royals.”

“Luna... what exactly is a bondservant?”

“It is a pony, or any thinking creature I suppose, who is bound in service without wages, typically for life.”

Twilight mouthed 'without wages'. “Luna... do you think Spike is my slave?”

Luna gasped. “Heavens, no! I understand they have superficial resemblances, but a bondservant is not a slave.”

Twilight let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. “Good.”

“Slaves are typically won in conquest, or through capture,” Luna explained. “Owning slaves was illegal even when I was banished a millenium ago. Slaves are controlled either through magical bondage or physical punishment, like whipping and beating when they are disobedient. Bondservants choose to pledge their loyalty, or are otherwise bonded through legal means. They serve their master, and their master is responsible to provide for them. It is as different as murder and execution is.”

Twilight's face twisted in horror. “Spike isn't my slave!” she exclaimed.

“I thought I was clear that I agree that he is not.”

“Well, he's not my... bondservant either! He's like family!”

“The best bondservants are like family, Twilight Sparkle. But one cannot mistake them for actual family. It would be asking too much of them.”

“I... I raised him for the past few years, though. I take care of him, and he sometimes even takes care of me. It's everything I would expect from family.”

“That sounds wonderful, however... that is something that is expected of a bondservant in his position.” Luna looked thoughtful. “But, if you are adamant to oppose this, perhaps I was mistaken about his relationship with you. Is the whelp legally your son?”

“N-no! I'm too young to be a mother of an eleven year old!”

“Is he legally your family at all?”

“... No, he isn't.”

Luna waved her hoof dismissively. “I suppose that does not necessarily matter. The law, as good as it is, does not provide for every unusual circumstance. Perhaps the rest of your family is also like family to him?”

“Uh... Shining likes him, and Cadence treated him very well when we visited for the Equestria Games. He is something of a hero to the crystal ponies... He doesn't really know my parents too well, but they like him too, but he hasn't really spent any time around any of them. That doesn't matter, he's like my family.”

“Family is not a single pony, Twilight Sparkle, it is a whole host of ponies. Was Princess Cadence welcomed into your family once she married your brother?”

“I... she was.”

Luna raised her eyebrow. “So, he is not family to your family, so even if he is like family to you it is only shallow.”

“I... just...”

“Your family, in fact, is filled with important, accomplished ponies of power and station. A princess for your sister-in-law, a highly regarded guard captain brother, who is also a prince, parents who are important royal appointees, even if your mother has resigned. A scribe does not fit into that family.”

“I... Spike is more than just a scribe! If it weren't for him, Sombra would have gotten the Crystal Heart and conquered the Crystal Empire! He's a hero!”

“I was given to the understanding that his contribution involved the delivery of the Crystal Heart to a pony of importance, Cadence, and his actions were motivated by his devotion to you. His actions are commendable, but hardly actions that indicate he is clearly more than your servant.”

“He's just a child!” Twilight protested. “He can't be expected to have the same kind of contributions that an adult would have!”

“Of course, but a child of greatness would be on their way to greatness already.”

“I... you can't know that.”

“Tell me, at what age were you brought in as Celestia's student?”

Twilight tilted her head. 'Where is Luna going with this?' “I was eight, at the time.”

“And how old is Spike?”

“... Eleven.”

“So, by his age, you were already three years into your apprenticeship to Celestia, and probably already chosen to be a princess by that time, even if you were not told of it.”

“Spike... Spike has been with me since he was seven. That's when he was given to me to be my... my assistant full time. By Celestia.”

“Right, so around the time you were selected for great things, he was selected to be your assistant. Who took care of him beforehand?”

“Nurseries... he used to visit me a lot, though... he would sit in on my lessons with Celestia pretty often, although he usually didn't understand what was going on.”

“What would he do during those lessons?”

“He would... he would help me with my supplies, or bring me things.”

“How did my sister treat him?”

“I... I can't remember well. It was a long time ago.”

Luna tapped her hoof on the table. “Allow me to guess... she would greet him politely then proceed to ignore him unless she was asking him to do things for you, and would only express any praise for him when he was being obedient?”

Twilight's face fell. 'No... I don't particularly remember Celestia ignoring him. That was–'

“Do not look so glum, Twilight Sparkle. That is a common way to raise a bondservant. Putting the focus of his life on his task of serving.”

Twilight's uneasiness did not fade.

Luna's face became concerned. “Twilight Sparkle... this clearly disturbs you in a manner I do not understand. I thought his station was clear, and he clearly loves you, even if he sometimes has trouble with his position with you. Why does this disturb you so? Please, explain it to me.”

“Luna... there is no unwaged servitude in Equestria today.”

“I see. Is Spike paid a wage?”

“No! Hiring a foal is illegal! But foals do have chores, and that's a part of raising them.”

“From what I have seen his duties go far beyond those expected of most foals.”

“I never ask more of him than I ask of myself,” Twilight stated proudly.

“But right this instant he is on an errand while you sip relaxing tea with me.”

Twilight floundered. 'I don't do that very often... I can only think of a handful of cases... in the past month.' “But that's not the only thing. There are no lifetime servitude contracts in Equestria today, either. Everyone is free to work or not as they please.”

Luna blinked in surprise. “In truth? There is no contractual servitude?”

“There is contracted work, but never something that cannot be backed out of. The penalty might be high but... you won't be dragged back and forced back to work by the guard.”

“I see... but why?”

Twilight was taken aback. “Why what?”

“Why is it now illegal to bond someone into lifetime servitude? It is quite beneficial to society.”

“Be... because... Luna, what if you were born into servitude? How do you think you would feel?”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “But I wasn't born into servitude. I am an alicorn, by definition a ruler. There is no chance that I would not be in the station I am now.”

“But... what if you weren't? I was born a unicorn, not an alicorn, and Cadence was a pegasus! Put yourself into the position of somepony born and raised as a servant! How would you feel about not being allowed to do what you wanted with your life?”

“Well–” Luna placed her hoof at her chin “–I probably wouldn't notice.”

Twilight's jaw hit the table. “What?!”

“If I were raised to be servant, then my theoretical master would have raised me to be dependent on him. I would only be educated as much as my station required, and a servant does not need the expansive view of the world their master needs for complex decision making. I'm sure I would... pursue a few other interests in any spare time I had, but I would be largely ignorant of the idea that there would be a desirable life in knowledge or outside of my station.

“Extraneous thoughts would probably interfere with my duties, anyway.” Luna chuckled lightly. “I suppose that may explain why I have noticed a heavy degree of frivolity in ponies today.”

Twilight frowned. “But what about a pony's cutie mark?”

“If a master notices that a pony in their employ has certain talents, even those related to cutie marks, then it is their right to choose if that is a worthwhile occupation for that pony, or if it should be relegated to a hobby or possibly not permitted at all. What if there was a time of famine, and your province needed extra farmers to ensure there was no starvation? Would you allow an artist to keep painting all day long when she could be stopping starvation? It would be madness.”

“What about the injustice? What if the master is abusive? The servant wouldn't be able to do anything about it!”

“Laws exist to protect those ponies. An abusive or negligent master would not be allowed to continue his behavior, and if he does not change his servants would be freed of their bonds or traded to a new, better master.”

“W-what about being allowed to be all you could be?!”

Luna put on a dubious expression. “What about it? How many ponies do you think are so great that, if they were guided by a caring and well-educated master, they would not measure up to their immense potential?

"I understand you are surrounded by such ponies, but, believe me, the Elements and you are an exception.”

“So... you're saying…” Twilight’s voice seemed distant. “Spike is less than I am.”

“You do not need to be so worried about that, Twilight Sparkle. A servant's position such as his is very important. As royalty, your emotional balance is paramount. You have a much more important job than he, and it is important that you can judge matters with a clear mind. You will become stressed, and part of the servant’s job is to help ease that stress by allowing you, say, a comforting bit of tea amongst your peers. His job is important to yours, and as such he is important.”

“He's a dragon,” Twilight stated. “I wasn't granted immortality, so unless Celestia has more plans for me she hasn't revealed, then he is going to outlive me by several magnitudes.”

“Then he can be a wonderful servant to your entire line, serving in this capacity until he is too large, if he even grows very large given his diet and lifestyle. Dragons come in many different shapes and sizes.”

“Taking orders from... ponies younger than he is? That's his destiny? To be bossed around by children?”

“He won't see it as being bossed around by children. Even now I see he has a fairly positive relationship with you as his master. He hangs on your every word, waiting for your measured praise, and that will eventually blossom into a mature need to put your interests, then eventually your children's, before his own.”

'Measured praise?' Twilight frowned miserably.

“He really is shaping up to be an ideal servant.” Luna sipped her tea.

“Well, I didn't mean to!” Twilight suddenly shouted, before covering her mouth.

Luna stopped mid-sip, staring at Twilight in shock. She set down the tea gently. “What do you mean?”

Twilight lowered her hooves and resumed staring at the teapot. “The way you talked about treating him... only paying him attention when he was needed to help, and only educating him for what he would need to do to work for me... Celestia didn't do that. I did.

“When he was given to me... all I cared about was studying. It was everything to me. I didn't care about socializing, or making friends, or leading. All I cared about was more knowledge, and pleasing my teacher...” Twilight trailed off.

“And...” Luna led. “How did this affect your relationship with the whelp?”

“With Spike? I took care of him when I needed to, and I wasn’t mean to him, or outright ignored him, but I was so... focused on learning, I paid the most attention to him when he was helping me. I only made an effort to teach him something when it was directly related to scribing, too. Before he stayed with me... tutors were a very large part of his life. Celestia set up so many different subjects for him to study, but all of that came to an end when he moved in with me.”

“Perhaps she was preparing him to help you with anything he needs to.”

Twilight shook her head. “I... maybe. A lot of it was just elementary education, that he finished far ahead of most foals, but every once in a while he surprises me with a talent I didn't know he had. Did you know he can play the piano? How could that realistically be part of serving me hand and foot? That I might want some mood music? I can put on a record.”

Twilight stared at the tea set. “...I don't know if he's had an opportunity to play for a couple years now.

“When I moved here, to Ponyville, my life suddenly became very social. I had five new friends I didn't know how to handle in the least, but I was excited to be friends with them. There was so much changing... but my relationship with Spike never did. I had these new friendship studies, but aside from a few times I treated Spike largely like I did before. Probably even worse, since instead of staying by his side as he helped me study, I often leave on a social call and give him chores. I just... didn't think to treat him differently.”

“But… forgive me,” Luna said. “I cannot make the link between this and his obedience.”

“You…” Twilight gestured with her hoof in the air. “You said I gave him ‘measured praise.’ You might not know but… Spike has a self esteem problem. I thought it was only a minor problem… but it’s been cropping up more and more lately. He was so anxious he couldn’t do the Equestria Games ceremony, where all he had to do was what he did every day his entire life. And I’ve started seeing all these little things everywhere since then. The boasting… the fishing for compliments… times when his smile would seem forced when I was excited about my new discovery and he'd fake interest… He was looking for praise and attention from me.”

Twilight flopped down onto the table. “I was disappointed in him for it!” she wailed. “I thought he was being stupid because there was no reason for him to feel that way! I couldn’t figure out what caused it but now… it’s pretty clear. I’ve been unintentionally teaching Spike to not value himself.”

The air hung heavy between Twilight and Luna. Seeing no response, Twilight continued.

“I only praise him… I only make him feel wanted or loved when he does a good job for me. Like you said, I… measure out my praise to him, and it’s making his self-esteem dependent on whether or not he did a good job. Some days, I barely pay attention to him at all except for the work he’s doing for me.”

Luna remained silent, looking impassively at Twilight.

“I’m not forcing him to stay… but I’m making it so he can’t imagine anything but staying and working under me for the rest of his life.

“And… thinking about it, what is his future with me? Doing the same scribing work until he’s too large to fit in the palace anymore, then kicking him out? Hoping he can survive alone after spending a pony’s lifetime being ordered around by me?”

Twilight sprang up and gasped horrifically. “I stopped him from getting more education for this! I basically took him out of school to be my assistant!”

“Again,” Luna interrupted. “Forgive me for my lack of familiarity with modern Equestria, but isn’t education beyond elementary optional, even today? In my time most peasants didn’t even know how to read, and possibly knew enough arithmetic, counting really, to ensure they were not swindled by merchants. There simply was no need to educate the vast majority of ponies.”

“Education is wonderful, though!” Twilight rose out of her seat, her hooves on the table. “And even if not everyone needs to be educated, I want the best for Spike. At this rate… he’s not going to grow up to do anything other than what he’s doing now!” Twilight unconsciously began to flap her wings, hovering over the table and Luna. “I am stifling his growth!” Twilight began to panic in midair. “I’m a terrible princess!” Twilight shouted.

Luna sat placidly, staring at Twilight as she vented. Luna calmly lifted her teacup and sipped from it slowly. “You should sit down and have some tea. It’s very calming.”

Twilight, breathing heavily, set herself down in her seat, put her trembling hoof to her chest and let out a deep breath, extending it. She took a sip from her teacup. “I’m sorry for my outburst, Luna. I guess… I may not have been as… blameless about this as I thought.”

“You are forgiven, Twilight Sparkle. Society has clearly changed a lot more than I thought, and I had not expected that you were going to feel so defensive about my implications that Spike is best suited to be a servant.”

“It’s not just that… I mean it is that too, but–” Twilight sighed “–I have been frustrated by his behavior for a while now. Sometimes he’s so happy and helpful, but then whenever he’s… pretty much when he’s not helping somepony, especially Rarity or me, he turns into a bundle of nerves and awkward fumbles. It has been getting worse, too. I hadn’t even considered I would have been contributing… I even thought I should make sure to praise him more when he does a good job for me. I thought it would boost his confidence, not just… make his confidence dependent on whether or not he’s useful.” Twilight lowered her head. “I’ve been trying to fix the problem by making it worse.”

“Well,” Luna said, setting down her now-empty teacup. “If this situation is to be rectified, then there is only one pony who really can.”

Twilight groaned. “I know, Luna, I’m the princess and it’s up to me.”

“The responsibility for the whelp was not yours only once you were crowned, Twilight Sparkle. It was yours once you began taking care of Spike, four years ago.”

Twilight frowned. “Rub it in, why don’t you,” she mumbled.

Luna’s ear cocked. “Come again?”

“I, uh,” Twilight fumbled. “I don't know what to do.”

“If the tales you have told me about being a neophyte in friendship when you first arrived are true, I’m sure this would not be beyond you. Perhaps enlist those friends for aid?”

“Maybe… that might be a good idea. Probably any plans involving Spike’s life would involve them at least a little anyway. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Luna.”

Luna nodded gracefully and smiled. “You must excuse me, sunset is soon and I will be expected in Canterlot for court. It was an honor and a pleasure having tea with you today.”

“... Likewise, Luna.”

Twilight escorted Luna to the gates of the palace, when the gates opened on their own. Spike backed in through the door, bearing a box of confections from Sugarcube corner. “I got them!” he announced loudly. “We should–oh,” he said, turning around to find the two princesses right there. “Why are you waiting here?”

“Luna has to go and attend to her duties,” Twilight explained.

Spike’s frills fell, and so did his shoulders. “Oh… I’m sorry. I didn’t get back fast enough.”

“Worry not, whelp,” Luna replied. “I am sure the confections would have been delicious, but I am required elsewhere. Thank you for your effort.”

“Yeah… sorry,” Spike said, not meeting Luna’s eyes.

Luna strode out the gates and took flight.

“I guess I’ll… put these up.” Spike plodded towards the kitchen.

Twilight trotted over to him and stopped him with a hoof on his shoulder. He looked back at her, divided between confusion and disappointment.

Twilight smiled at him. “Why don’t we both take one of those cupcakes, and we talk about what the best thing for the farmers of Fillydelphia is.”

Spike smiled hopefully. “...You’re not mad at me for interrupting your conversation with Luna?”

“It… wasn’t the best time, no. But that’s only because it’s a complicated subject. We may be in for a long conversation.”

Spike groaned melodramatically. “Aww, did I just walk into a lecture?”

Twilight shook her head. “Nope, I want to hear what you think, too.”

“Really?” Spike raised an eyebrow. “Who are you, and what did you do with Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight giggled. “It’s me, Spike. I just wanted to try something a little different.”

“... Okay.” Spike said and started marching off.

Twilight frowned and levitated the box of cupcakes up. “Spike…” she said, and wrapped one hoof around Spike, holding his head gently to her barrel. “Have I told you how much you mean to me?”

“Well, yeah,” Spike mumbled. “Yesterday you did, remember?” Spike smiled faintly.

'That was when he finished the reshelving by himself, though.' Twilight reflected his faint smile. “I just wanted to say... you’ve always been there for me as my friend. Even when I didn’t think I needed you. You’re a wonderful little dragon, and anypony would be lucky to have you as their friend.”

Spike blushed a little, and his smile brightened. He turned closer to Twilight, trying to put his small arms around her barrel and not succeeding. “Thanks,” he said, muffled by her coat.

Twilight squeezed her hoof around him. ‘I haven’t hugged him like this in a while, have I? I give my friends hugs like this all the time!’ She looked down at him pressing into her side, her giving him a half-hug. ‘Except...

Twilight slightly pushed Spike away from her, eliciting a small displeased grunt from Spike, before plopping down on her rump and scooping him up with both of her forelegs. Spike eagerly returned the hug with a pleased sound.

Twilight set him down, seeing the confused smile on his face. “What was that for?”

Twilight chuckled and ruffled the frill on his head. “I just told you! I just haven’t had a hug from my number-one-assistant lately. Especially not a real big hug like that.”

“Well… thanks,” Spike said, a content smile on his face. He turned around and ran off to the kitchen. "Now, come on! There's cupcakes to eat!"

Author's Note:

Almost forgot: Thanks to Selbin for his assistance in Prereading.

Comments ( 247 )

You know, in a way, even when it's potrayed in a positive light, Spike always kind of is regulated to the role of Twilight's obident servant. This puts his breakdown in "Equestria Games" and his devotion to Twilight in "Spike at Your Service" into perspective. Spike has unknowingly been raised to believe that his self worth is connected to Twilight. Outside of being her assistant, he does not have a life of his own. He doesn't know this, but even when he rebels against Twilight for not treating him properly, things rarely improve. :twilightoops:

Maybe it's just looking too deeply into things, but it makes Spike quite the tragic character when you think about it. Yet another case of "Unfortunate Implications".

This story makes me cry, its so cute! And sad. And cute!

This is much too truthful to be funny. Truly one of the saddest stories I've read in a while.

Do as I say, dragon slave. :twilightsmile:

That was very thought provoking.
Luna was awesome.
Well done.

Excellent, I do like introspection's of truth. You must ask what Celestia was thinking when she gave Spike's care over to Twilight. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this was carefully orchestrated by Celestia with help from her sister.

It's about time someone wrote a story like this. It's true that Twilight tends to treat Spike more like a servant than a friend. Hopefully, there will be an episode like this story in the upcoming season, though I doubt it.

5219757 Indeed, and I think that's because the DHX staff would say that they don't interpret it in that way. Of course, just because that's not what they intended for it be to seen as, does not mean the implications aren't still there.

Comment posted by otaku-Drake deleted Nov 3rd, 2014

5220436 Ugh! That episode. I really hope that this season, they actually do something with this character instead of having him be the butt of all the jokes, but knowing these writers, I'm not crossing my fingers. I think this problem stems mainly from the fact that the writers have absolutely no idea what to do with him. It's a shame the writers aren't allowed to read fanfiction. Otherwise, I'm sure they could come up with some decent episodes for Spike instead of dragging him through the mud all the time. The only episode where he was treated with any decency at all is the episode "Inspiration Manifestation."

Harwick #11 · Nov 3rd, 2014 · · 4 ·

Eh, I think this kind of interpretation misses what Spike really is... He's Twilight's squire. He keeps up her armor (the books in the library) and cooks her meals and cleans for her so she can continue to train and be at peak readiness to answer the champion's call. As such, he contributes an important role to the protection of Equestria while learning to be a champion himself some day. (Steps to which he has been taking more and more in recent seasons.) Fans who want them to be equal, or simply siblings, miss this important dynamic to their relationship... He is her assistant, and it's a hugely important position to him, not because he's been brainwashed into it, but because it has true, measurable value to Equestria and also helps keep someone he cares about safe and sane.

I personally feel that someday Spike will be the big hero, and likely have a youth under his wing learning from him as well.

That all said, this story was well written, interesting, and ended on a very sweet note.

5220464 What about "Secret of My Excess", where he finally confessed his feelings to Rarity, and Twilight expressed very real concern about what was happening to him?

And what about "Equestria Games", where Spike was being hailed as a hero by an entire empire?

And what about "Crystal Empire, Part 2" when he was not only able to help Twilight defeat Sombra's traps, but also managed to get the crystal heart to Cadence in time?

Oh, and what about "Lesson Zero", where he was the only one who tried to do something about Twilight's descent into madness before it got out of hoof?

D48
D48 #13 · Nov 3rd, 2014 · · 2 ·

That was very good, and it clearly demonstrates that while you can bolt wings onto Twilight, Luna is still best princess. :rainbowlaugh:

5220573 Spike did get to do real work in Lesson Zero and some other early episodes as you pointed out, but his roll in Crystal Empire was purely subsidiary to Twilight. He enabled Twilight to clear out the traps, tagged along as she found the heart, and only wound up saving the day by acting as a delivery boy for her after she got stuck so even that was him being a follower and servant rather than a primary actor. The only reason he was hailed as a hero in Equestria Games was a throwback to what he did against Sombra so there was no action at all on his part there besides the screw ups discussed in the story. Looking at the pattern, things with Spike are getting worse, not better as the show goes on, and he is not the only one. :derpytongue2:

5220573 "Secret of My Excess"--the relationship went nowhere. In fact, the whole subplot of Spike has severely been downplayed or, if not, outright dropped. Also,tthis is the only time where Twilight was shown to have genuine concern for Spike.

"Equestria Games"--Regardless, Spike was still humiliated and dragged through the mud all for the sake of comedy.

"The Crystal Empire, Part 2"--Again, the events of this episode don't matter if they're just going to go back to the status quo at the start of next week's episode. This is actually one bad aspect of the show: a character having to learn the same lesson over and over and over again. (For example, Rainbow Dash learning humility or Fluttershy having to overcome a certain fear.)

"Lesson Zero"--This is one of the few episodes where Spike is shown to genuinely care about Twilight. It surprises me that the others seem to have learned their lesson when it came to "It's about Time." Yet both "A Canterlot Wedding" and "Games Ponies Play" contradicts the canon set up by previous episodes.

I've honestly lost a little respect for the writing staff of the show. To them, Spike seems to be the hardest to write. 'Spike at Your Service' was an abomination that completely destroyed Spike's character.

5220891 5220922 While I do think that this show generally does try to follow through on its continuity, Season 4 in particular seemed, at times, to have problems with the writers picking and choosing what continuity points to remember and what to disregard.

Amm
Amm #17 · Nov 3rd, 2014 · · 1 ·

I really enjoyed how Luna was written in this fic. Older terms cropping up with fixed grammar is perfect for how her situation would turn out. While one can fix how they speak, one can't forget half f their vocabulary easily. Twilight was also written very well, what with her slight lapses of sanity and worry. And Spike, for what little he appeared in a fic centered around him, was nicely done.

My curiosity goes to whether it's helpful to break him out of her servitude now. Would he really be happier with such a change when he's been trained from a young age to serve?

5219597
I personally found it to be quite funny. Mainly due to Luna.

D48
D48 #18 · Nov 3rd, 2014 · · 4 ·

5220930 Bear in mind that episode was written by the same idiot that wrote Mare Do Well (Merriwether Williams), so I tend to look at that as a case of a writer that should be kicked for being incapable of writing the characters more than anything else. Of course, the fact that we are still stuck with that idiot after that does not reflect well on the people making decisions and there have been other quality issues across the board so I am still with you overall.

5220936 Yeah, season 4 has been something of a disaster for continuity to the point that I consider it 100% optional and have not even bothered watching some of the episodes. There are a few bits I like such as the additional characterization for the wonderbolts which makes a lot of the earlier issues with them make a lot more sense in hindsight, but then they did things like constrain all of seasons 1, 2, and 3 to happen in less than a year with the season opener which makes no sense at all, and the season finale was a total train wreck as far as continuity and characterization are concerned.

5220936 That's to be expected when you have new writers coming in, and based on who we''ve got for season five, I think it's only going to get worse in terms of keeping continuity. Thank God M.A. Larson is coming back!

I really like how Luna was written here, with the actual opinions that a millennium plus royal would have, instead of some weird emo-populist hybrid. And yeah, cruelly accurate about Spike.

Very nice story and a well thought out, deep subject. I've never thought about Spike this way before, and the whole moral discussion is very thought provoking and satisfying. Well done.

This was a pretty interesting relationship study. Spike and Twilight's relationship is probably the most interesting dynamic on the show, just by virtue of it being so nebulously defined by the show writers. It's always nice to read another interpretation of it, and there's a good bit of character development going on here. The ending had just the right amount of hope and optimism to leave me with a smile.

A very solid Spike fic. Much enjoyed. Faved and liked.

Really good fic you have here...
As for what Spike is to Twilight, It's really up to the writer on how they portray Twilight and Spike's relationship ...
Like some will write them as siblings, others (like me) will write them as a mother/son pair :twilightsmile:

I'm saddened you only have 20 followers when you just wrote one of the best stories I've ever read.

I bet Celestia set this up with Luna. That's not to say that Luna doeesn't have those opinions but I bet Celestia already explained all this to Luna and then realized that Luna would be perfect to help Twilight realize what's going on.

5221717
and for some reason unknown, they made them a couple :applejackconfused:

“Family is not a single pony, Twilight Sparkle, it is a whole host of ponies."

...Holy shit, either Celestia and Luna aren't even aware of a lot of the social changes in society, Celestia is still trying to catch Luna up with the modern world, or this version of Equestria is a lot more...backwater than represented in canon.

This was a really good story, And I have no complaints...
At least none when it comes to actually complain about the story. You made it flawlessly as far as I saw.

Now though, the only thing I am going to "Complain about" is that my inner Philosophy courses leapt out at me at some of Luna´s comments.
Which is good! After all, you wanted to show how she had other ideals, and had ways of backing them up.

But still...
Luna! There is a reason to educate the masses, to increase the autonomy and effective Freedom of each individual subject, which benifits the social order.

...
Sorry, could not keep it in.

Spike blushed a little, and his smile brightened. He turned closer to Twilight, trying to put his small arms around her barrel and not succeeding. “Thanks,” he said, muffled by her coat.

Twilight squeezed her hoof around him. ‘I haven’t hugged him like this in a while, have I? I give my friends hugs like this all the time!’ She looked down at him pressing into her side, her giving him a half-hug. ‘Except...’

Twilight slightly pushed Spike away from her, eliciting a small displeased grunt from Spike, before plopping down on her rump and scooping him up with both of her forelegs. Spike eagerly returned the hug with a pleased sound.

Twilight set him down, seeing the confused smile on his face. “What was that for?”

Twilight chuckled and ruffled the frill on his head. “I just told you! I just haven’t had a hug from my number-one-assistant lately. Especially not a real big hug like that.”

This was an excellent use of visual cues; you almost didn't need to have her say why she was giving him a full hug rather than a half hug. The scene is essentially the perfect way to end the piece... having her both metaphorically and literally move him from an assistant who only gets basic recognition and praise to a true friend who "deserves" to be fully embraced.

I especially liked how you treated Luna. She's not being aristocratic or cold with her belief in a sort of caste system, but genuinely believes her understanding of a much older Equestria's values. It's like the papers I read of slaveholders in the antebellum United States... people who actually believed that slavery was a good. Twilight's reaction to Luna's polite revelation of how she was treating Spike was handled masterfully, and this work has my praise for doing so.

That and the hug... mostly the hug!:twilightsheepish:

I'm impressed...... Nice

Man...this was real. Aside from being extremely well written, this story just hits you hard with the truth of their relationship. I've always felt bad for Spike, as he seems to always get left out or is given the short end of the stick in most situations. The ending really got me in the feels. I really hope a future episode does something like this and actually changes the nature of their relationship somewhat.

5220930 Well, that was because we had Merriweather Williams collaberating with Dave Polsky, and that team up was almost doomed to failure from the start because of their writing styles.

Thankfully, most of the other writers, Meghan McCarthy especially, seem to at least realize that Spike is not an idiot. Season 4 was a big turning point for him, and I really hope the writers can continue to build him up from there.

This explains so much. Looking forward to more.
Keep up the good work. Deus tecum.

ISS

Spike is love. Spike is life.

Luna can be amazingly out of date sometimes.

5221717 Yeah, but unfortunately, that also means that if they don't see Spike as Twilight's servant despite times when they write him as if that's exactly what he is, then they're unintentionally creating a rather glaring problem.

Much like how everyone is almost always worried about Pinkie Pie being flanderized, because of what's happened to other characters that share her personality, everyone seems to look for any reason to argue about Spike being Twilight's servant. I blame "Owls' Well That Ends Well" for dropping the ball so harshly when Spike finally got the chance to shine. If it weren't for that, maybe it would be easier to see Spike's relationship to Twilight in the way the writers want it to be seen.

Alas, if "Rainbow Falls" is any indication, once something is written, there's very little editing done to make sure that everything clicks.

Hum. On the one hand, this training should produce the perfect Butler/Personal Assistant. On the other hand, it's being conducted by his parental figure, before he's gained any emotional maturity or even perspective.
Yeah, there's a problem there.

DVB

5221886 Probably the former. Even by looking into books, one can miss alot of subtle notes and such. Looking back, makes a bit of sense. Luna is associated with the Elements of Honesty, Loyalty and Laughter while Celestia with Friendship/Magic, Kindness and Genorosity.

IMN
IMN #39 · Nov 3rd, 2014 · · 1 ·

This story has wonderful characterization, beautiful in-depth analysis, and a unique conversational style.

It saddens me to see a character treated so poorly in such an open manner, and I adore fics that highlight this flaw in mlp.

To that I say bravo.

5219092

In a way, Twilight herself seems to have the same problem as Spike, but to Celestia.

5222462 Yeah, but Twilight seems to have gotten better at that. Spike, on the other hand, is another story.

It's a good story, don't get me wrong. The problem is that most of the treatment Spike gets is more of "laser-guided karma" for his snark during the episodes than anything else.

Anyway, I wonder how pissed-off the Dragons would get if they heard any of that.

5220544
I don't think that calling what is happening brainwashing really... fits the scenario here. This kind of self-esteem dependency is not unique to a servant position, and a distant parent figure can unintentionally assassinate the self-worth of their child just as well-meaningly as I am suggesting Twilight has done to Spike here, and even if the parent is imperfect unless they are outright abusive the child still loves the parent and it's rarely suggested that that some form of Stockholm Syndrome is taking place.

And you're right, Spike has a lot of genuine reasons to feel proud of his position with Twilight, both because he cares for Twilight a lot and because, as she is important to the nation, so is he. Luna was pretty much right when she was suggesting that Spike has an important job even if it's not as important as Twilight's job. But I think he values himself for his service to Twilight a bit more than is strictly healthy, and the street isn't as two-way as it should be. A child being responsible for an adult's peace of mind, and in return the adult often treats her friends with more care and affection than she does him is a troubling scenario.

Squires are both servants and students, and Spike seems to veer heavily towards the servant side by the way he is treated in the show... but it could be... fanonized? assumed? whatever fans do to fill in the blanks this show has, that there is a lot of offscreen education going on, and some of the responsibilities Twilight asks of Spike aren't just to make things easier for her but are to help him grow and learn... but I think it requires a bit of reading between the lines... I do like that concept, though. Seems like a pretty realistic destiny if the assumption is that Spike grows up like anyone else and eventually leaves Twilight's service.

And thanks a lot for the compliments even if you disagreed with the conclusions. :twilightsmile:

5221886
It's a little of all of the columns, actually. Celestia and Luna, just being in the position they are in, are a bit out of touch, and Luna has a lot to absorb, and she's only starting to get to the subtle things. A thousand years is an awful long time.

As for the third one... I imagine Equestria as a world that doesn't entirely match our idea of a modern society, but is pretty close. For example, I'd say it didn't go through an Industrial Revolution so much as they went through an Industrial Gradual Turn. The Mane 6 seem to be fully functioning adults in their late teens, and this is never considered unusual. There's apparently a large middle class and public education, but at least in this version there is a smaller amount of compulsory education.

I'm sort of curious as to why the description of families as a "host" caused this reaction, though.

5222420 Wait, is that canon? Is that in an episode of Season 4, or from the comics? (I admit, I didn't watch most of season 4.)

Well, you're officially smarter then all of the show's writers.

The insight displayed in the creation of this story is excellent, and the execution is exquisite! (And yes, I tend toward poetics and alliteration when I am moved by a tale.)

The interaction between Luna and Twilight was, in my mental vision, nigh unto perfect, from the opening jest to the departing lines. The shift in gears quite visible in Twilight's heart was lovely to see. And Spike... I couldn't feel sorry for him; he's in an incredibly lucky position in life, bondservant or no (and I don't have anywhere near the objections to the role that Twilight does) and since Twilight has lots of friends to help make him more than that, he's even more fortunate still.

Put another way, I could see this conversation happening in an episode of the show, and though it would go over the head of most of the baseline target audience, I think it would spark more than a few really interesting discussions between viewers of nearly all ages and their friends... and parents. Might even be good for people ;)

Thank you for sharing this most excellent tale. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Light and laughter,
SongCoyote

and they could use the help after the abuse they felt at the hands of Count Tea.”

hooves
_________


5222757

It is.

derpicdn.net/img/2013/11/23/479704/full.jpg
[Princess Elements]

and

4.bp.blogspot.com/-mXasKu7pWgM/U-Ug9nAx1QI/AAAAAAAAAVc/CF0QUlnXBqQ/s1600/mane_six_determined_by_jeatz_axl-d6vj8dj.png
[Mane 6 Elements]

As you can see Tia holds Generosity, Kindness, and Magic. While Luna holds the others.

What a wonderful, insightful story. A lot of people think that 'world building' is just dropping paragraphs of exposition, but you managed to do it very organically within the flow of Twilight and Luna's conversation. Additionally, as a lover of Twilight and Spike's strange relationship, it was delightful to see the direction you took it at the end of the story. Top marks.

5222877 ... I'm seeing THREE reds.. I'm not sure how you're able to tell which one is which from that angle/shot. (Though I'm sure other shots show it better.)

Login or register to comment