• Published 4th May 2012
  • 5,271 Views, 252 Comments

Martin's Unreal Life - CrypticMetaphor



Martin returns home after winter wrap, until The Six decide its time for them to cross over with him

  • ...
12
 252
 5,271

Chapter 8: A New Development

Alan walked into his kitchen at approximately 8:00 am and turned toward the living room noticing immediately that NASCAR was playing, “Hey Dash! I was thinking of making some French toast for breakfast, you want some?”

Rainbow looked over the back of the couch, “sure, HOLY MOLEY THAT CAR JUST DID A BARREL ROLL!!”

Alan just smiled and shook his head as he opened the fridge and began to rummage through its contents until he found what he was looking for. As he began to assemble the various ingredients and utensils, he thought back to the previous night’s events and the end result that had altered his usual routine.


(Previous Night)


Rainbow walked over to the phone and took it in her hand greeted the voice on the other end, “Hey Martin, sorry for running off like that”

Martin sighed in relief when he heard her voice, “It’s alright, I’m just glad you’re safe at Alan’s,” Martin then turned away from the receiver at the sound of Twilights voice then came back, “Listen, we’ve all discussed it and we’re going to let you fight crime…”

When that was said, Rainbow immediately whooped for joy but this was cut off by Martin, “…WITH some conditions”, Rainbow ceased her merriment immediately and listened with a straight face, “you can’t let yourself be caught live on the news which means NO interviews,” Rainbow nodded, “No fighting crimes that are WAY out of your league and if things get way too intense or out of control you quit…”, then the sound of the phone being taken was heard and then Pinkie’s voice was heard, “FOREVEEEER!!!”

Rainbow Dash thought it over for a few seconds and smiled, “Okay, I can live with that”

Martin was surprised at the answer, “really?”

Dash nodded as she looked at Alan who was currently fiddling with the stereo, “Let’s just say, I understand your concern now”

Martin then spoke, “You want come back here? I mean its late and all”

Rainbow looked back at Alan, “actually I was thinking, if it wasn’t too much trouble, if I could spend a few nights here”, Alan looked up surprised as she continued, “Just for a change of scenery, plus Rarity snores”

Rarity seemed to have a sixth sense on that matter, “I HEARD THAT DASH!!”

Rainbow just laughed in response as she turned to Alan, “That ok with you?”

Alan gave a nervous smile but nodded

*

Alan and Rainbow were both sitting at the kitchen table eating the French toast that he had made for them as the TV continued to drone on. Eventually they both finished and sat on the couch to chill out.

Alan turned to Dash, “so are you going out patrolling tonight?”

Rainbow nodded with a smile, “Pinkie is dropping off my gear at noon today, and it’s going to be awesome”

Alan looked at the TV, “I’ll bet”

Rainbow then took on a sly smile, “You want to come out on patrol with me don’t you?”

Alan smiled sheepishly, “Is it that obvious?”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow, “if I do take you, what exactly can you do?

Alan stood up immediately and ushered her into his room, the walls were adorned with posters and above his doorway was a black belt draped over a plaque, “well there’s that for one”

Rainbow nodded in respect as Alan rummaged through his closet until he pulled out a chrome bo-staff, “and then there’s this”, Rainbow just looked at the staff as Alan continued his explanation, “I chose to train with one of these in my lessons and I’m pretty good with it, this staff however was built by a guy in San Francisco”

Rainbow continued to stare, “Okay but why?”

Alan just smiled as a click was heard and the staff slid down like a night stick which caused Rainbow’s eyes to widen, “Okay, that is cool”

Alan nodded, “The guy I bought this from makes weapons then tests them out on dummies then uploads the test video’s on YouTube, he made this because of a Robin DLC for Batman: Arkham City and he was selling it so I thought “sure I got money to spend”

Rainbow just stared at him, “What the hay is Arkham City?”

Alan just smiled as he placed the compressed staff on his bed, “I think I should introduce you to video games”

*

Time flew by as Alan began compiling a list of clothing items while Dash played Arkham City in the background like a boss. Noon rolled around and Pinkie showed up with Rainbow’s gear and some changes of clothes, she stayed for a few minutes to watch the game then decided to leave bidding farewell to both of them. When midday transitioned into late afternoon, Dash turned off the game and approached Alan who was currently examining a black hooded cloak that would reach his ankles and easily conceal the entire front of his body when closed.

Dash picked it up, “where did you find this?”

Alan took it back, “Old Halloween costume piece, could you do me a favour and pop by them mall to pick up some things for me?”

Rainbow looked a bit annoyed at being an errand girl but took the list, “Okay I think I can work with this, do you need me to get you a mask?”

Alan shook his head, “already got one”

Rainbow took the money and sped out the door as quick as Alan could blink; he then walked into his room and pulled out a white full face mask that was featureless and completely smooth. The only thing it had on it was a pair of oval eye holes; he then smiled as he took it to the table and began to paint it black.

*

Rainbow returned at night fall and presented the items to him, Alan first pulled out a vest that matched his needs,"nice find Dash", he then pulled out the things he would wear on his arms,"these are perfect!"

He then took the other bag that contained a pair of black pocket pants and black hiking boots into his room to suit up. Soon Dash was suited up and waiting for Alan beside the door, he then walked out and reviled his new look. He was currently wearing a skin tight black shirt and the vest was securely fastened over it. The arm gear was in place along with the cloak which was currently closed, the mask was on top of his head, and he then slid it over his face and put the hood up.

Rainbow nodded in awe, “Okay that’s pretty cool, but what’s your name?”

Alan then whipped out the staff in its collapsed form and it snapped to its full length as he began to do some impressive spins and flourishes, he then ended with an impressive thrust at Rainbow’s goggles but stopped by an inch as he responded with one word, “Umbra”

Speedstar nodded as she opened the door and Umbra collapsed the staff as she smiled, “Okay Umbra, ready to fight crime?”

Umbra smiled under his mask, “Hell Yeah!”



Alright folks, there is an explanation for this short chapter. The reason is because the Arc ending chapter is next, and this one has set the stage. Enjoy the show 