• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 725 Views, 17 Comments

Figurehead - CheshireTwilight



Following the banishment of her sister, Celestia forms a legislative assembly to placate her citizens’ fears. One thousand years later, she is left as only a figurehead. Now she must gain the resources to defeat Nightmare Moon once more.

  • ...
6
 17
 725

Chapter 1 - Bureaucracy

Canterlot Town Hall, 0 C.E.

Celestia gathered all the leaders of the nobles into the interim capital’s town hall. Following the banishment of her sister, the Everfree had overgrown the old capital and so—temporarily—all national-level administration would be done in the cramped municipal building until a new castle could be constructed. Still, comfort was the last of Celestia’s concern; with the nobles banding together and foreign interests noticing the change in Equestria’s global posture, Celestia had little time to consider such frivolous issues.

She stood at the podium on one end of the long, wooden, rectangular room; looking out at the hundred-or-so ponies now seated before her. “This assembly of nobles from across Equestria here today has been called by Us to discuss the grave circumstances which have occurred not three weeks prior in the Everfree. Paramount in this deliberation will be what this means for Us—as a nation—going forward.” She spoke with a calm and clear tone, not betraying her continued despair over her personal loss.

The nobles had created a coalition in their fear that both Princesses had perished in the two weeks they had been absent. This had been a good thing temporarily, as it had allowed Equestria to still remain a solidified nation to the Griffons and Zebras which were posturing for an invasion at any time. The problem with this ‘Federation of Nobles,’ however, was that it was only a matter of time before infighting began. They remained unified until now because many of the noble family leaders had been massacred by Nightmare Moon in Everfree Castle on the day she was banished. Their shared grief, fear and uncertainty prevented them from making any drastic action.

Celestia needed to keep it that way.

“Princess Luna has been … lastingly displaced,” Celestia confirmed which brought a collective gasp throughout the audience. “Our Night Princess was … corrupted by an as-yet-unknown magical sapience which twisted her mind into an evil mare of darkness, calling itself Nightmare Moon. This creature rampaged wantonly throughout the castle and slaying many of the ponies inhabiting thither. Many of these noble individuals were known personally by those seated here today. As many of you had likely expected, the ponies which had not made it here … will not.”

Celestia stopped for a moment of silence. “This was something that We could not abide. We used the Elements of Harmony to seal this ‘Nightmare Moon’ away in that eponymous place … because this phantasm had possessed the form of Our Princess Luna, however ... that also meant that Our sister was taken away with it. This will be an enduring banishment … but not eternal. We speculate that it will not return for one thousand years … only then will there be some chance of redemption for Our … former, Night Princess.”

After she had finished, a young noble in the back sat up, exclaiming, “What kind of answer is that! My father is dead and all you can say is that?! Where is the proof! I want the perpetrator brought here and put to justice!” Many of the nobles nodded their head.

“Enough!” Celestia cried out, instantly silencing the room. ‘Do these nobles not understand! This is my sister they are talking about!’ she thought as she looked intensely at the accuser. “What need for further proof is there?! Our sister is gone, the Thestrals—her servants—are scattered. We personally stood vigil over the graves of your father and others for two weeks before a battalion of Royal Guards-ponies finally came to investigate! Nightmare Moon was more powerful than either Princess Luna or Ourselves. If We had not defeated her, make no mistake that Equestria would have been thrown into Eternal Darkness, just as she had done with her eclipse of the Sun.”

The nobles were stunned to silence. They had known that the eclipse was some sort of sign, but that this “Nightmare Moon” had the ability to do so against the will of their all-powerful ruler gave them cause for alarm.

“We understand your grief in your hearts,” Celestia continued in a somber tone. “We all lost ponies dear to us that day, but the needs of the many outweigh the those of the few. This government must stand strong, especially in this time of great peril. With the Everfree now a lost cause and the Griffon and Zebra forces on our borders, such mindless feuds will only result in the collapse of this nation!” She slammed a forehoof on the podium in front of her to emphasize her point.

None of the nobles could respond immediately, however, a certain General spoke up from the back.“What of these rebellions?” Halberd asked. “What are we doing to stifle them?”

Celestia nodded in appreciation. ‘Thank Harmony at least somepony can ask constructive questions,’ she thought. She answered, “We will stamp them out personally. We will travel to each: hold, village and city in unrest and quell their anger. Equestria, unfortunately, does not have the troops nor the time to adequately do so otherwise.”

Another noble stood up, this one she noticed immediately as the new Archduke, Redblood. He had changed his name when he learned that he had lost his father and all his siblings in the massacre. His family, formerly the Brows, were still prominent, as he was the only noble to assert his position during the crisis, giving him a significant edge. Celestia noted that of all the ponies, he likely had the greatest grudge and the greatest influence. “Might I remind this assembly, that this ‘quelling of anger’ would not have been necessary had Our Princess returned and given orders to our esteemed General Halberd? Two weeks she ‘kept vigil,’ but in reality what was needed was order and stability! We did not know of even the most vague details for an entire week!”

Another noble stood up, one who had not lost anypony during the assault. “What hypocrisy is this?! You yourself disappeared for a week, and you did not even do battle with a mouse yet along a Princess! To blame the recovery of Our Princess in such a way is tantamount to treason!

“I need not listen to such Ad Hominem,” he waved off with a forehood. “The argument stands. I do not hold it against Our Princess, but this only proves that—despite her perfection—measures should be put in place! Should the Princess be unavailable to rule, this nation still needs government and order! This is only more imperative now that only one Princess rules.”

Celestia watched on silently, unable to retort. She was seething in anger and she noticed that several of the members in the front row were beginning to sweat from the heat she radiated. Still, what could she say? She had been away. Equestria had been put in jeopardy. She didn’t have any leverage to make; the nobles would have to be appeased or she would be unable to make any headway with reconstruction and reorganization. Many of the nobles were already jealous and angry with their families weakened by this tragedy.

Concessions would have to be made.

“What do you propose … Redblood?” Celestia asked, still uncomfortable with the new name.

“A legislature,” Redblood replied simply. “An assembly like this one where the nobles meet to discuss civil and political issues. We, of course, would have no political power while you reign, but we could give council and—should Your Highness find herself in a position that limits her abilities to rule—it provides a safe means from which power can be transferred, either temporarily or permanently. In this way, power would not be usurped, but the events of two weeks prior would not have been cause for such fear and rash action.”

Celestia was shocked. High Brow, Redblood’s father, had never been so insightful, nor had he ever thought so far ahead. ‘I have no reason to deny such a price,’ Celestia grimaced. ‘Forsooth. My power is maintained, I save face for my failure, and yet Redblood and the nobles would be able to consolidate their power and keep their positions with little fear of reprisal. It is a win-win … still, there is one concern.’

“That sounds like a brilliant and well thought out plan, Redblood,” Celestia replied, feeding his ego slightly. Most of the nobles—even the one which had accused him of hypocrisy earlier—nodded in agreement. “There is one issue, however,” Celestia added, which quickly wiped the grin off of Redblood’s face.

“What could that be, Your Majesty?” he asked hesitantly.

“A noble council will, indeed, be able to govern the country should the unexpected occur. However, I fear that an oligarchical council such as this can only function if it is adequately representative of the nation.”

“I concur, Your Highness,” he said proudly. “It must consist of representatives from all the houses ... in proportion of the ponies under them, of course.”

‘And there is the rub,’ Celestia mused. ‘With most of the ponies under his direct supervision, he would greatly increase his power should I fall. To put myself in such a dangerous position … especially with his grudge; only my dominion of the Sun and Moon would shield me from his significant gains should I find myself facing … an untimely demise. No, I know what you are planning Redblood, and I will not allow it to work!’

“That is not what I mean, Redblood,” Celestia smiled. “A council of nobles could only serve noble interest. What is needed in an effective oligarchy is a council of nobles, along with elected civil servants and professionals capable of representing the wider spheres of common and industrial concerns.”

Celestia smirked slightly, ‘That look on of rage on the face of the Archduke is priceless,’ she thought.

Redblood was fuming. “W-what are you saying Your Highness! Are you genuinely implying that we of the nobility do not appreciate the interests of the pony below us?!”

‘It is because you think of their interests as ‘below you’ that you do not you foal ...’ Celestia sighed to herself.

“Of course you appreciate them,” she lied, “but what is needed is ponies that know them. Tell me, what is a chief concern in the blacksmithing industry today?”

The nobles looked to their neighbors, some were muttering to each other. For several minutes they discussed, occasionally speaking up, only to provide an incorrect or even an outrageous answer. ‘Wherefore do these nobles think paint could even be considered a blacksmithing concern,’ Celestia groaned at one of the answers.

However, it was a rough looking stallion in the back that answered, looking just about fed-up at the comedy playing before him, “O’ fer Celestia’s sake, the fuel! The coal we blacksmith’s ‘ave ta purchase since ya banned the burnin’ o’ wood fer charcoal is so doggone awful it takes twice as long and twice as much ta make the same piece o’ metal! It ‘as been runnin’ the lot o’ us outta business!”

Celestia smiled, “What that stallion said is absolutely correct. Indeed, this is not only a concern, but the concern facing blacksmithing today. For the past ten years, the Diarch- …” Celestia frowned in silence for a moment but continued, “The government has been working closely with the preeminent alchemists of this nation in order to find an alternative fuel for the charcoal which had caused widespread deforestation from its collection. The coal from Equestrian mines, however, contains excessive amounts of brimstone which-”

“What!” Redblood yelled slamming a forehoof to the wood floor. “Are you seriously saying that because we rightly do not know about some stupid coal, we cannot govern?!”.

“No,” Celestia replied with no lack of annoyance in her voice. “It is because of your pride and your ignorance that you cannot. If even one of the nobles present hither had the forethought to delegate this dilemma to one of the commoners in the audience, We might have reconsidered ... but you could not even inconvenience yourselves for a simple question! The fact that those assembled here are collectively oblivious to such a vital concern to this nation is, quite sincerely, appalling.”

Redblood snarled, “I request, respectively, for you to reconsider!”

She then backed away slightly from the podium before tapping it intently with her forehoof like a gavel. “We will grant your request with Our caveat, as intended. You have said nothing to sway Our opinion in this regard. It is an excellent idea and, with confidence, such issues of governance will not affirm themselves henceforth. We see no problems; the nobles are poised, hence, solely to gain.”

The amassed nobles were now split. Several looked at one another in shame, while others seemed to be doing their best to try and ignore the proceedings altogether, while a few—such as Redblood—were seething in rage.

“Mark my words Celestia!” he cried as he and his compatriots stormed out of the hall. “You will regret this decision! When the plebs take over this sacred institution, you will find that we nobles will not be around to save you!”

The Canterlot Archives, 981 C.E.

Celestia woke up startled, although she didn't remember enough of the dream to know why.

She was seated in the archives at a small desk; deep in the heart of Canterlot Castle. Research here was one of the few privileges Celestia had anymore and she used it often. A large stack of books detailing the statistical information of Equestrian demographics, births and other traits as well as several larger books on Cutie Marks, history and political philosophy lay scattered before her.

She had spent the whole night researching what she had learned from the Tree of Harmony’s prophecies. Specifically regarding these six “Bearers of Harmony,” it was extremely unlikely that she would be able to find them on her own, as she had surmised. Over four thousand ponies were born in Equestria on any given day, just as many would get their Cutie Marks.

The records of the Cutie Mark Registry were only logged at the parent’s earliest convenience and so might be upwards of a month away from the time when the foal actually received their mark. Furthermore, the records didn’t list the cause of that mark. For Celestia to visit hundreds of thousands of foals and question them individually simply be far far too impractical without help.

Fortunately, births were recorded to the minute so she would be able to find maybe a dozen foals that were born the exact moment the star had stopped in the sky. She wouldn’t have any way of differentiating them, but she would pay careful attention to these ponies in the future. She was especially shocked to see the daughter of her close friend, Flora Lulamoon, was on the list.

She felt a tingling sensation and turned to see that her secretary, Fine Quill, had just walked in. The tingling had come from her sensing Quill’s magic, the pale blue glow illuminating the darkened section of the library Celestia was in. Upon seeing each other, Quill extinguished the flame, instead pulling out a schedule seemingly from nowhere. “There you are Princess!” she exclaimed. “You had me worried, I was looking for you everywhere!”

“I am sure you did,” Celestia groaned, still drowsy and aching from sleeping on a hard wooden chair for the night.

“Don’t you know what time it is?! The Sun should have been up fifteen minutes ago! Not only that, but even if you spend only half your usual time eating and grooming, you will still be late for your first appointment!”

Celestia went wide-eyed for a moment, as she confirmed it was, in fact, seven am. Immediately, she went about starting the celestial motions and ensuring that the Sun was at its proper height in the sky. With that taken care of, she got out of the chair and tested her range of motion, groaning, and occasionally letting out a sickening-yet-satisfying crack of her wings and spine. The white unicorn mare beckoned her to follow her back to Celestia’s bedroom and Celestia complied.

“Cancel my nine o’clock with Professor Bulb, I’ll have to reschedule,” Celestia said as she walked. She thought about how she would have to reschedule this week after this sudden development. “Also, I’ll need an extra two hours a day for the foreseeable future to talk to some of my various contacts regarding … a new development. I’ll have to ask that you reschedule as many of my current appointments as possible.”

Fine Quill didn’t bother to ask what this “new development” was, but instead nodded curtly. Still, it was apparent that she was gritting her teeth slightly at the sudden work. “Will these two hour slots need to be at the same time each day, Your Highness?” she asked passive-aggressively.

Celestia gave her a sympathetic look but replied, “Just this week, immediately after my volunteer work. After that, so long as you let me know, those two hours can be can be anywhere in the schedule.”

“Right …,” Quill replied with a slight groan.

“While I’m getting ready with all this, could you wire the Minister of Education and book a meeting with me this morning? Also, I’ll need to spend time at the General Registrars Building for some … statistical affairs I would like addressed.”

“That would likely cut into all of your appointments this morning, should I move those as well?” the unicorn asked as they arrived in front of the Royal Bedchambers.

“Yes, I would like to get this done as soon as possible,” Celestia replied as she entered the bathroom.

“What should I tell the Education Minister the meeting is about?” Quill said, her voice now muffled by the closed bathroom door.

“Tell her ‘If she doesn’t come, I’ll tell her mother!’ ” Celestia giggled.

Summer Orange—Minister of Education for the Equestrian United Federation—came into Celestia’s study punctually at nine o’clock. She was an earth pony with a pale orange coat and a darker orange mane tied elegantly into a bun. She wore a simple black business suit with a blue tie that matched her eyes and an ornate gold necklace which hinted at the extravagant wealth she had accrued from years in the social circles of Manehattan. They were really the crème de la crème of Manehattan; new money developed from their parents joining businesses and sweeping the orange market. Luckily for Celestia, she had noticed this early on and had “invested” with her business contacts. Even now—as the Oranges moved out of business and into politics—they still kept close ties.

“You know,” Summer Orange said in a distinctly upper class way, “it is quite contemptuous of you to treat a good friend this way, you know what my mother would say if I denied such a sojourn from our most royal benefactor.”

Celestia giggled, “Well I know how busy you are, I felt that if I had not done so, you would not have come!”

“Oh please, you sell yourself far too short Your Highness,” Summer guffawed. “Still, I would like to make it to the Legislature at eleven … it is quite a chore being a new ministry.” She frowned in mock displeasure. “I have to be my own secretary and address the house, can you imagine! Copper, the Treasury Minister never has to deal with the legislature!”

“Still, it cannot be worse than the cabinet,” Celestia quipped.

“Oh goodness no!” Summer laughed. “I would take a hundred sittings of the house over just one cabinet meeting any day!”

Celestia grinned, “I might take you up on that offer.”

Summer Orange then frowned, completely removing the air of sarcasm in their discussion. “I really do wish there was something I could do. For the government to just take away your position on the cabinet? I was not in the cabinet at the time, of course, but from what I have heard from the older members, it was far more productive then it is now … not like it could get less productive now … even when the position was only ceremonial.”

Celestia smiled warmly. “That obviously was not your fault. You know how the republicans are about special privileges. I’m lucky I still have my library card!” Celestia giggled.

Summer didn’t grin. “That is not really the point though. Even I agree that there should not be undeserved privileges, but if anypony deserves a special place in this country, it is you! You never have personal promotion on your mind, and if you ever had a motto, it would be ‘Equestria First!’ I just cannot bear to see you put in such a diminished position when you have so much talent to bring to the benefit of this nation.”

‘It is good to know I at least have some friends left in the government,’ Celestia mused. “That brings me to the point of this little visit,” Celestia replied, her tone becoming a little more authoritative. “The fact is, there has been a prophecy.”

Summer didn’t roll her eyes at this, but rather her face turned dead-serious. Prophecies were serious business in the magical world. There was an entire branch of Thaumaturgy and well over one hundred unicorns in various academic institutions with government funding dedicated to it. ‘If there is only one thing absolutely certain about prophecy,’ Summer thought, ‘it is that the stronger the magic user, the more important the prophecy … and Celestia is the strongest practitioner of magic there is!’

Without any interruption from Summer, Celestia decided to continue. “It seems that there will be need of the Elements of Harmony to defeat a new evil in the near future. It has been prophesied that six mares will wield them, six mares alive somewhere in Equestria.”

“The Elements of Harmony? Those are ancient artifacts of great power if I remember my history.”

“Yes,” Celestia replied. “It had often proved vital in removing the ancient evils that plagued Equestria in the past. I can personally attest that the evil that will threaten Equestria soon will be a similar threat.”

”Surely there is more to these ‘bearers’ than that!” Summer gasped. “We must find these ponies!”

“That is the rub,” Celestia sighed. “The truth is, the prophecy only mentioned that the six will get their marks all at the same time due to some ‘rainbow event’. That means that finding them will rely on the Cutie Mark Registry.”

Summer groaned. “Oh goodness gracious! If there ever was a bureaucracy in the Federation, the General Registrar’s Office would have to be it. Still, I am not at all familiar with the details of how the CMR works, what needs to be done?”

“Well, giving your approval would help, I would imagine. Just say I am helping you out with Cutie Marks and their effects on education.”

“I’ll get it done. To be completely fair, I have had many petitioners from the academic community for more funding into alternative teaching styles and education reform. I suppose now is as good of a time as any to give them a bone.”

“Excellent! To be honest, from what I’ve seen the CMR needs a bit of modernizing. There is currently no description on how the marks are found or even an accurate drawing of what they look like! Of all the things that have been better since I founded the Federation, I would not have thought something as simple as that would get worse.”

Summer grinned and sat back a little, looking a little less posh than before. “Well, you know how it is, anything the government touches turns to manure faster than grass in a grazing cow … if you pardon the slang.”

Celestia didn’t smile at that. “It is more than a little distressing to hear that, from a Minister no less.”

Summer shrugged, “I’m just repeating the rhetoric of my party. It’s all about ‘small government’ and ‘deregulation’ now. Despite that, though, why can’t you simply ask the rest of the politicians about this. I doubt they would simply brush off a prophecy from you.”

Celestia sighed. “It isn’t so much that I fear they will not believe me—which I am not confident they will since prophecies come notoriously without proof—but rather that they will believe me. I fear what they might do once they find the bearers. They might remove their rights and make them into some sort of weapon. I might … consider that, if it was for the good of Equestria, but the key to the Elements function is that the ponies are in harmony and so they, at the very least, would need to be friends with eachother. That’s something that can’t be manufactured.”

Summer groaned in response. “You’re right, as usual. If there is one thing you won’t find in politics, it is friendship.” She looked at her watch on her forehoof. “Well as much as I would like to keep this up, I need to prepare for the sitting. You will be there, of course?”

Celestia smirked, “They would not start without me!”

With a letter of approval from Summer Orange in hoof, Celestia made her way to the last building any pony wants to enter. Indeed, ponies might even wish their enemies to “Go to the General Registrar’s Office!” as a far worse alternative to Tartarus. The reason for its reputation was simple: every legal document in Equestria had to have a copy in the GRO. This meant that every individual, corporation or government, public or private, foreign or domestic had to have some method of both collecting and depositing their legal papers. It was a bureaucrat's dream and a civil nightmare.

Even the building itself screamed “bureaucracy”. It was an enormous, grey, concrete cube with small simple metal windows strewn uniformly throughout. Simple columns also supported the base where larger windows illuminated the first and second floors, giving the building some semblance of character. This hope of individuality was crushed, however, by the dead looks the ponies inside carried. Many sat in the small waiting area on the metal and plastic chairs that had been provided, waiting for their number so that they could, hopefully, quickly leave and get back to their normal life. Despite the look of dread on these ponies, the worst looks came from the employees themselves. All the joy and fun in life seemed to have been sucked out of them, leaving them with only bitter resentment … if they even had any emotion left at all.

It was here that Celestia found herself. While the ponies in the waiting area seemed shocked, and in some cases happy, to see her; for the employees, such a description couldn’t be further from the truth as Celestia stepped towards one of the receptionists at the desk.

“Name?” the green pegasus mare asked in a startlingly somber monotone.

“Celestia Sol Invictus,” she replied handing the receptionist her diplomatic passport. “Princess of Equestria.”

The receptionist didn’t bat an eye, instead writing the information on a small card that was then placed in a small cabinet out of sight. “Please take a number.”

Celestia tore one of the small numbered strips of paper from the machine next at the end of the row of desks and took a seat in the waiting area. Several of the ponies there just sat in awe, but nopony dared talk to her. ‘Just once, I would like to have a simple, pleasant, conversation,’ Celestia thought, sighing. ‘One would think that after having most of my political power taken by the democratic process, I would be more approachable.’

Only twenty minutes passed before her number was called. It was unfortunate, but often a pony would see the receptionist for only a minute before being turned back because their affairs weren’t in order. Many have to come eight or more times to get a single thing accomplished due to the incredibly strict rules on paper and form types and in which order requests can be given. This made the process unbearable for most, but fast and efficient.

Celestia approached the open booth where an elderly yellow earth pony mare sat. Unlike the receptionist, however, her eyes were like fire. She enjoyed the bureaucratic process. “Name?” she asked in as neutral a monotone as could be made.

Like with the receptionist, Celestia handed her passport over and said her name.

“What is the request the petitioner wants to make?” the mare asked, not looking up at the Princess.

Celestia, luckily, had an upper hoof in bureaucratic matters. She wrote the book on bureaucracy. It had first been a game she played in the court to bypass several of the arbitrary rules the nobles had designed to keep her out of their affairs, but it turned out that strictly codifying every procedure done in government did have its uses in ensuring proper regulation was followed. Under normal circumstances, making strange requests like access to documents outside your regulatory power would be impossible to accomplish … for a normal pony, but it was these same strict guidelines that made it possible for a pony with the knowhow to bypass substantial red-tape, even if it meant not following the intent of policy.

“The petitioner requests access to the birth records of ponies born 9:18pm, two days prior to today. I have a B402.1.4-32 Type C form signed by the Minister of Education giving express permission in releasing this information as possible candidates for academic scholarships as per the regulations put forth by the ‘Scholastic Support Strategy of 944 C.E.’ “ Celestia handed the mare the form she had Summer sign. Celestia had, ironically, been against the SSS for this very reason. It offered little in the way of privacy if an educational representative wanted access to your personal information and the representative didn’t need to justify asking for it.

The mare looked over the form. “This also requires counter-authorization by third party government employee using form B402.2.8-13A.”

“Right, of course, here you go,” Celestia replied cheerfully, giving another piece of paper she herself had signed.

Normally this couldn’t be done, but Celestia wasn’t normal; in fact under the law, she was technically two individuals in Equestria, the “Princess” and the “Citizen”. This came from the fact that Celestia had several of her rights as a citizen restricted as a Princess. The main cause of this was in 688 C.E. when her dissention at government policy swayed public opinion of the government so badly that it had caused a democratic election. The government was rocked to its core. The new representatives quickly realized that she could technically control government policy indirectly through the her support. In fear, they had hastily limited her freedom of speech on political issues. Since this would have caused Celestia to be either deemed “less than a citizen” or would have caused all citizens to be given this restriction—as part of recent equality laws at the time—lawmakers had to make her two different ponies. While the “citizen” Celestia could make political allegations, the “Princess” Celestia could not.

Celestia would be the first to agree: politics can be almost pointlessly arbitrary and cumbersome sometimes.

Still, in this particular circumstance, it proved useful. Only a few minutes later, the mare had cross-checked the records she approved of the request. This was Celestia’s least favorite part of the bureaucracy; no matter how arbitrary or silly the past governments’ policies were, they would always follow them. It would have been humorous if it wasn’t so sad. “Is there anything else you would like to request?” the elderly mare asked.

“The petitioner would also wish to make a request to be given ‘reviewer status’ of statistical information in the Cutie Mark Registry as per the ‘National Records Act of 892 C.E.,’ ” Celestia replied, somewhat hesitantly. Unlike the birth records, there were very few guidelines around the Cutie Mark registry so it would be much harder to access. Since Cutie Marks happened much later in life, they weren’t used as identification except for expatriates since birth certificates were much more reliable. As such, the CMR was a strictly statistical repository.

“The Cutie Mark Registry no longer provides ‘reviewer status’ for statistical analysis under the auspices of the ‘Records Act’ due to due to its revision in 971 C.E. The only way to view those documents is for you to be given direct approval from the Chief Registrar.”

‘This mare knows her stuff,’ Celestia thought. ‘It’s just as well. Even with access to the records, I wouldn’t be able to do anything until the bearers earn their Cutie Marks. There will be other opportunities.’ Celestia nodded. “Alright, that will be all then.”

“Fine,” she replied before stamping a card and giving it to her. “The certificates will be available to you in room 133B, give that to the pony at the door. Next!

Celestia took the card, walked down the hall to the room, gave it to the pony at the door and sat at the small desk. It took about five minutes, but she was eventually given a small manila envelope which contained four pieces of paper, each representing a foal born. ‘Huh,’ Celestia thought, ‘I wasn’t sure what to expect, but to think that every minute around four foals are born ...’

These four foals were: the pegasus colt Free Wind of Manehatten, the earth pony colt Dust Cloud of Dodge Junction, and the two unicorns fillies Twilight Sparkle and Beatrix Lulamoon of Canterlot. The Lulamoons had always remained loyal to her, even in the modern political climate. ‘To think that Flora Lulamoon’s newborn daughter would be related to this …,’ she thought while writing down the names and addresses on a piece of paper. ‘I guess I will have to visit Flora’s orphanage as soon as possible now. I had thought to do so in a month, but there’s no sense delaying if I can avoid it.’

She gave the envelope to the pony at the door and left the building. It was 10:30am now and she would have to rush in order to make it to the legislature for the Sitting of the Equestrian House of Commons by eleven. If she was lucky, her little political maneuvering would slip right under their noses.

Comments ( 17 )

Strange story. Interesting, though at the same time, I am not sure how far the political reality would ever sway this way. I am guessing English History is serving as something of a model here, and the one thing that fits there that doesn't here is that the time when political power oft-passed from monarch to subjects was when the monarch was, well, incompetent and forced to cede power.

Celestia isn't, so...allowing herself to be divested of power would almost always be for calculated gain. Which may be the case here, but that's one thing you have yet to convey, if so!

5182174
I explain this a bit in the story. The initial reasoning for her "aid in governing" was that she was away from power for several weeks and Equestria almost collapsed, as such she "humoured" the nobles with a politically worthless council. Before that, I describe how she recognizes her ponies' innovations and that the more power she gives them, the more prosperous Equestria becomes (I explain this in the second prologue a wee bit when she looks out at Canterlot from the balcony).

The alternate reality here is that ponies here aren't incompetent and unruly children that need benevolent guidance, but are able to make their own destiny somewhat (they have ambition just like us imperfect humans do).

Besides, do you really think Celestia would deny her ponies the right to self-governance (or even "just" self-governance in "X and Y") if they ask for it and they were competent enough to do so? I would say she would be a proper dictator otherwise. I believe that the ponies don't in canon because they either don't have the ambition or their lives are too comfortable to care. As I'll explain in this story, that isn't the case here.

5182872

No, I think she would likely stick things to where they did wield a good deal more power. Just that I don't see her placing herself where she is completely hamstrung by regulation & bureaucracy, either, but rather finding herself a happy medium between the two - basically, think putting herself in a situation equivalent to the American President, where if Congress is sufficiently opposed, they can completely override the President.

Right now she seems to be the Queen of England, but with even less political/social power than the Queen has.

And, well, taking a different tack - if she did refuse to relinquish power I don't necessarily see that as tyrannic, sort of like how a parent refusing to let their child engage in certain activities does not make the parent a dictator.

5183157
That is exactly what I'm talking about. That is what's different here. It isn't that Celestia is acting any different than what she would given the situation, but rather the subjects she rules are different.

Ponies are bound to disagree with her on things. In the show, what that means is that Celestia teaches them a lesson and they conform to her view, just like unruly children. In this story, it isn't that simple. Some ponies might think a murder should be given more jail time for killing or a thief give better compensation for their crime and maybe orphaned children should get one less meal, after all they don't do anything for the state.

These aren't questions with definitive answers to anypony but the government and Celestia. Anypony that doesn't agree doesn't just conform in this story but dislikes her for it, resents her. Celestia wants things to remain a peaceful platonic state where ponies are given their destiny with their marks and live happy simple lives knowing their place. I just made ponies more like us. They don't like being told what they can and can't do. "You can't be a leader, you aren't nobility or Celestia, know your place" or "you can't form your own nation because you and a bunch of ponies think you can do things better" aren't rules that humans would agree with, nor are they things any free nation should enforce.

This democracy didn't happen overnight. As an example, let's do like you said, Celestia becomes the President of the United States. What do you think happens when the Republican and Democratic parties disagree with her? Does she just goes along with it (if so, then she might as well not be there at all)? What if they don't and the Senate or Legislature overrule her? Can ponies elect her out of office if their fairly elected officials disagree with her? Who do ponies side with when she refuses to step down, their elected officials or their Princess? Would Celestia risk civil war just to get her way? At that point, it is too late. Celestia must make concessions or she risks it blowing out-of-proportion. That is how her power was limited, step-by-step. Small concessions to the majority over a thousand years.

Maybe this isn't the place for this type of story though. If the ratings are any indication, it's not being enjoyed. If this keeps up I'll probably call it quits and go on hiatus for a few months before doing something else. This kind of complex political drama is too much effort if it isn't appreciated.

5183334

The problem here is that, at least in my eyes, again, it's...how to analogize?

Imagine if FDR hadn't died, and had somehow regained his vitality after WW2 in some crazy experiment, and kept running for President.

Yes, he might well have had battles he'd have lost, and times the office would have diminished in power. But he'd have had fights he won that gained equal power back. People who lost to him may resent him for it, but others who he gave victories to would love him and crusade for him.

Power can be chipped away, but it can be added to. Celestia makes a concession one decade, and then sets circumstances so it is undone in another. And the game is rigged in her favor, because she's eternal, she can put into place plans not meant to bear fruit for centuries.

Furthermore, some of the most powerful actors in statecraft are those who wield purely soft power - look at the Pope as a perfect example. The Papacy is an office that has no real army, the Church is wealthy but it is wealth almost entirely locked up in art, land, buildings, and so forth, and its economic clout is minor at best.

Yet the Pope can wield enormous soft power and in doing so butterfly effect world affairs. If the Roman Catholic Church came out tomorrow in favor of contraception, for example, that could cause massive ripple effects in that area in US Domestic policy because of what sort of tipping point it would hit.

The monarchs in the world tend to lose power because it is incredibly difficult to keep a competent dynasty in place generation after generation. Had say, Augustus never died, the Roman Empire could well stand today. Were Genghis Khan immortal, who knows what may have happened? And so on, and so on.

I totally accept the idea Celestia could end up a figurehead, but if she does so, I find it hard to justify it happening unless it's by her own hoof.

5183898
I been saying this entire time that she has been giving that power freely, but I suppose I should be explicit: "She saw that the more power she gave, the more prosperity Equestria had." She gave concessions, I never said that she was forced to do so. She would have still participated in politics and she still had political power ...

I suppose it doesn't matter now. I've cancelled the story. I guess this isn't the right place for a political story like this and I guess I have to question whether I want to continue writing as well. I spent over 3 weeks making this for nothing ...

5184876

Something like this takes time to build up an audience. It's definitely more niche work. At the same time, I wouldn't be commenting so heavily if I weren't interested in seeing how it develops, and poking a few people for signal boosters can always be helpful.

It may be for me the Gore/Dark tags that really raise the flags. I see those and expect the story to be one where our 'modern' scenes are concealing an extremely ugly underbelly that has yet to be revealed, and I imagine a lot of other readers may feel the same. Given the relatively light nature of Sweetie Belle, seeing the Gore/Dark could well be causing people to not even give it a chance. To me, at least, it immediately gives vibes of 'There's no happy end coming here', and a lot don't want to be put through that wringer because...well, it hurts.

But yea, I can't see it from within your perspective - meaning I lack the author's omniscient eye, and I've learned the hard way things that appear with brilliant clarity to me can be completely boggling for others because they lack info I possess. Regarding the 'She gave concessions' bit...I suppose there the major issue is it's kind of a 'Telling, not showing' scenario in action.

Like...here's how I read the timeline :
1. Celestia banishes Luna, Celestia goes into a funk
2. Celestia realizes upon emerging from it, that yes, it makes sense to have backups in place, puts in a backup with herself as supreme executive power
3. 1,000 years (nearly) pass by, during which Celestia ends up living within a gilded cage, where in many ways she seems to be less than a citizen. All we have seen modern Celestia doing thusfar is the equivalent of kissing babies - And that's the part where the disconnect really begins for me.

I can buy that over the past thousand years, she has found legitimate reasons to divest herself of authority. I can buy that she's accepted certain restrictions on the power of the Princess. On the other hand, the one that really stuck out was the 'But her ability to comment on matters' was restricted. Why? That's an example of something that I find hard to accept she'd just go with and allow to remain over the centuries. It's letting herself be muzzled and it's a perfect way to be turned into the pawn of another.

That's the trouble I'm having here. Not that she's divested a ton of executive power into the hooves of others, but that she's seemingly done nothing to undo the bindings that appear designed solely to hobble her and do more harm than good. To use the parent analogy once more, it feels like it's become the child has become a teenager and is now telling Mom what she can and can't do, and Mom is just blithely going along with it instead of pushing back at all.

Regardless...if it is gone, I'd love to see the skein of where it would have gone. And I don't want to discourage you from continuing, as what reservations I raise are meant to question but not condemn. The Old Equish sections were like, crazy good in terms of keeping the speech patterns consistent and I wince at attempting to do something similar because of how overwhelming it appears, and the work that must have gone into that part deserves heaps of accolades.

And, well, if you are interested in continuing at all, still, I would offer what I can in terms of editing/sympathetic ear/whatever, just shoot me a PM.

5184909
It wasn't the quantity of views that made me give this up, but the fact that almost 1 in every 10 people that viewed this story hated it so much that they "down-voted" it. I've seen self-insert HiE fics with better ratings than that.

I appreciate the advice and help, it is just that, as a working professional, I have very little free time and must carefully consider what hobbies I invest in. I draw, build electronics, write, read, watch videos, play games; all these vie for my attention. If something doesn't pan-out, I drop it; it really is as simple as that.

And this didn't pan out.

I would rather make the sequel to the Tablet of Knowledge than continue this only for a few people to read it. I won't grow as a writer by sticking around.

Since it doesn't matter now, this is my storyboard as I left it (I apologize in advance for the lack of organization, it was never meant to be read).

Agitation Arc: Celestia becomes more and more upset with the current state of Equestria (Starts 979 Celestial Era, 15.5 years starting at Twilight’s birth, Twilight discovered at year 9, Blueblood elected in at year 12)
- Show the corruption of the state
-- Aristocratic tendencies (consolidation of power/wealth)
-- Backroom deals (secret negotiations, military/industry/wealth effecting politics behind closed doors)
-- Media manipulation (propaganda, avoidance of important issues, distraction of general public)
-- Police State (drugs and thugs further forcing the divide)
-- Stereotyping (speciesism against buffalo, racism against earth ponies and pegasi)
- Show the ineffectiveness of the republic vs the effectiveness of Celestia
-- Dealing with foreign dignitaries (Celestia convincing ministers to keep them in check)
-- Celestia retaining popular opinion despite constant efforts to thwart it
-- Celestia’s continual strides in finding loopholes in bureaucracy to help the impoverished
- Warn of the impending doom, the lack of care, and the need for change
-- Nightmare Moon’s return | ignores claims as bid for power
-- Griffon → enemies, Zebra → no longer allies | satisfied they can handle war
-- Civil dissent brewing | satisfied that they can repress citizens adequately

Movement Arc: Celestia makes her move from the shadows (1.5 years)
- Celestia tries many different tactics (law, coercion, conspiracy, media manipulation) to no avail
- Using her connections to the few loyal families left (Cadence, Lulamoons, Sparkles, Oranges, Pants) she decides the only option left is to prop up her own political party (the Equestrian Labor Party) and fight head on
-- She does so, all while avoiding any suspicion by current parties
-- the party grows slowly, over at least a year, and gathers support of the disenfranchised
-- the other parties, fearing their positions, band together and try to oust the upstarts, only fueling more support of Celestia’s party
- When she hears a plot of her discovery, she puts her support behind the party
-- She does so because she fears that not doing so would mean she may never get the chance
-- This goes against the law and divides the castle’s loyalty
-- The oligarchy casts her out, but many of her staff go with her
- The party continues to call elections again and again, slowly gaining more seats in parliament each time
-- In retaliation, oligarchy calls labor party out on their monarchist ways
-- In the shadows, they set them up as violent rebels, blaming them for atrocities their thugs commit

Civil War Arc: The oligarchical and labor parties come to blows, the griffon empire plans war (1 year)
- The government begins to collapse as extremist elements from both sides try to carve out the country
-- Blueblood, seeing that war is inevitable and that his side will likely lose, decides that the only chance for the survival is to convince Equestria he is on the side of democracy and Celestia wishes to reinstitute Monarchy
-- false evidence of this is leaked (from Celestia’s monarchist advisor secretly)
-- despite Blueblood’s tactics, it is too late and he is overthrown by an enormous labor party majority (but since he hasn’t done anything illegal they can’t throw him in prison)
- The Griffons, seeing this weakness, make invasion plans
-- A griffon on the inside, Gilda, whose clan stands to lose significantly should the invasion be successful, leaks the information directly to Celestia
-- With both sides already divided, and with her advisor’s convincing, Celestia informs the public about this and decides to institute martial law and organize a military industrial complex
-- Fancy Pants is against this and party opinion splits on how to approach the Griffon issue
- Civil War breaks out between Monarchists and Democrats (civilian extremists, not the party)
-- Members rearrange into Celestia and Fancy Pants camps despite their insistence on working together
-- Both sides must make moral sacrifices to beat the other
-- Celestia gains the upper hand when she calls upon the disenfranchised Bison

Griffon War Arc: Griffons invade, Celestia makes plans for the return of Nightmare Moon (1 year)
- The Griffons make their move when both sides are at their weakest
-- Fancy Pants, realizing that democracy won’t survive the day, demonizes himself to better Celestia’s position and kill his own movement
-- Celestia, now victorious, tries to get their Zebra allies to help, but they do not
- Celestia, seeing no choice any longer, authorizes conscription and the use of dark, war and soul magic
-- Twilight leads the development of the deadly arts, discovering and making morally bankrupt spells which weigh on her consciousness throughout the war
-- One of these spells, a destiny alteration spell by Starswirl, is completed in a different way, causing the Griffons’ destinies to change and leaving them without purpose, this leads to Twilight becoming and Alicorn and Princess of Fate rather than Friendship
- They win the war but Shining Armor dies in the final battle
-- Celestia warns Twilight that Discord and Nightmare Moon are returning and that there is need for her and her friends to save Equestria using the Elements of Harmony
-- Twilight “goes off the deep end” she takes the Elements away and studies them
-- Celestia insists that she prepare for the Summer Sun Celebration and her friends for Nightmare Moon’s return

Nightmare/Discord Arc: The Twilight deals with the return of both Nightmare Moon and Discord
- Nightmare Moon returns, banishing her sister to the Sun
-- Twilight, instead of trying to defeat Nightmare Moon, join forces with her
-- Twilight was communicating with her through dreams and NM already agreed, they will rule over night and day like before, but as equal partners, in return she must use the Elements with her to defeat Discord
-- Nightmare Moon agrees and various measures are made to ensure equality (split of forces, split of workforce between day/night etc.)
- Discord returns only to be defeated by NM and Twilight’s might
- Everything is going NM and Twilight’s way
-- Begin institution of Fascist regime with secret police, propaganda, curfews and racism against griffons
-- Bearers of Harmony return with Trixie in tow, defeating Nightmare Moon and changing her back to Luna, little do they know that they were brought together because of Twilight
-- Celestia returns and “kills” Twilight, just as planned
- Celestia leads the nation back on track, the new Elements of Harmony do the various things from the show
-- Twilight writes a diary, revealing the plan and rationale
--- Necessary to ensure that the bad elements in the military are taken out, sentiment for oligarchy and against Celestia are gone, and redistribution is carried out through brutal reorganization
--- Also as a means of forgiveness, so that nopony believes her to be a good pony after all the atrocities in the war
- Twilight now lives in disguise as Celestia’s court mage, atoning for her sins by doing all she can to make magic that improves the lives of everypony, she looks out, longing for her friends
- everypony now hates her and she becomes infamously known as Twilight the Betrayer, her only source of comfort being that Celestia knows and will one day (long after she is dead) reveal the diary to the world

Other developments to be added:
Blueprint to establishing a dictatorship
-Create an internal/external threat that terrorizes the populace
--Griffons (war), Bison (threatening the pony way of life)
-Create secret prisons, with torture
--Griffon internment camps
-Create a paramilitary force
--Federal Knights
-Single out ordinary citizens as 'troublesome persons' (Redefine dissent as treason)
--Calling out ponies as unpatriotic when discussing social welfare, peace, etc.
-Establish surveillance of citizens' groups and ordinary citizens deemed 'troublesome'
--Use of taxpayer money to keep tabs on ‘terrorist’ activities (NESS - National Equestrian Security Service)
-Detain and release citizens without formally charging them with any crime
--Federal Knights stealing ponies from their homes
-Target key individuals who are well known, popular figures
--Discrediting film stars and politicians who publicly talk about the poor economic climate and the war
-Restrict the press
--Corporations control the press, especially Blueblood
-Subvert the rule of law
--Oligarches caught in scandal or breaking the law get away with it

Analogies
-Economy like a intricate pocket watch and regulation is like a time-keeper fixing the time on the watch

Random thoughts for the War Arcs
-Third party uses griffons and ponies to further their own gains?
show shining armor being outnumbered and then have him defeat them before Celestia meets with Twilight
-“My victory today will be for my sister, that she remain ignorant of things like this.”
-Shining armor tells his sister he won’t be attending the award ceremony “It’s just going to be Blueblood’s media show”
-Twilight wants to help her brother and be a soldier but Celestia vehemently opposes
-Shining Armor takes out a fortress with a hodgepodge army (veterans, reservists, all kinds of denominations etc. from various divisions) using a strategy of taking the Griffons in his army and using them to infiltrate and destroy them from the inside (he personally acts as a captive to convince them)
-There has never been a permanent peace, but if he takes the fortress, Equestria might be able to get a decade or so of peace, and that is enough for Shining Armor
-Have somepony go with Shining so that they can discuss the Griffon loyalty
-Shining frees the commander of the fort, only for her to be killed when she gets back (“why were you released?”) shows how paranoid the Emperor is and brings fear to the court (she was extremely loyal and returned knowing precisely that there was a good chance she would die)
-boy and mother (husband died in battle) approaches Twilight when she returns home telling her that he want to become a soldier and Twilight breaks down into tears at the futility of it all
-Zebras set up a Griffon territory seeking independence in Equestria but it is just a setup for war between them
-Blueblood is convinced that Celestia and Fancy Pants can be controlled
-Celestia forced to attend Blueblood’s gathering despite the fact that they hate each other
totally passive-aggressively tell each other off :P
-Fancy Pants wins the majority because Blueblood’s underlings kill and important character earning sympathy
-There is a lot of hatred and jealousy with the noble rearrangement
-The constant warfare is an intelligence drain on society (regular civilian stuff doesn’t work as well)
War vs. End War argument (ultimately decide based on public approval)
-- For - Toppling of despotic governments, centralization and improvement of industry (constant demand)
-- Against - Intelligence and Economic drain, centralization of authority and reduced efficiency
-“The Griffons oppress their people and are a bad government, while ours is elected by the people but is badly governed … which one is really wrong?” “That is not a question that is so easily answered.”
-The griffons have a young general the shining meets and looks to with admiration
female soldier near Shining notes how handsome he is :P
-“Is it wrong for me to like the enemy more than my own politicians?”
-Celestia creates a plan of planting an agent in order to instigate a coup d’etat in the Griffon Empire?
-Plan works but when the Emperor suddenly dies causes their instigator to gain much more power than they anticipated (watch from episode 18 for civil war)
-Instigator crushes the nobility and brings about a military dictatorship
-“If you sacrifice innocent civilians for personal gain, what difference is between you and the Emperor!”
-Nobles of Equestria rise in civil war against the crown for their inferior position causing democracy?
-Just before the Labour party gains the majority in parliament, the previous politicians manage to get the fascist military on their side to form a military coup (rationalize it as a means of subverting the subverters of democracy and avoiding monarchical rule)
-A leader previously believed to be loyal betrays their trust (Twilight Velvet?)
-Celestia is given the option by her advisor at one point to sweep in, kill the corrupt politicians and come in as the “savior of democracy” restoring the Monarchy
-A rally of civilians gather to fight for democracy and are destroyed; the fascist government collapse
-“You think you can force your ideals through violence! You are no better than the Griffons Emperor you despise so much!”
-“They believe in their own righteousness, the hard liners are so sure of themselves that they don’t think they can lose”
-Shining Armor places a fake minefield which is only partly filled as a lure to cause the enemy to fall in his trap

The Blood family (Blueblood)
-Our time is now! Whether we are consumed or dominate is our decision
-“Blueblood, just win, it’s what we do” (his father)
-Push ponies to go to the polls, they paid the media so they need the turnout (why would pushing for the polls be a bad thing? Why push to the polls for a 50/50 chance … unless you rigged it)
-“It’s not what you are, its what you make people think you are. If you have enough money, you can make people think what you want.”
-“There’s more to this family then you”
-Blueblood’s hatred of Griffons comes from his cousin’s death at their hand during the last war, it ruined their family (he was supposed to be Prime Minister and he blames himself for encouraging him to fight)
-Mother raised Blueblood to hate his father for his infidelity, caused him to win the election out of spite and then he “got rid of him” using his newfound power
-Infighting is the only thing keeping Blueblood’s power in check now, not ponies
-Bison defy court orders that they cannot participate in protest (flip moral positions in kennedy part 5)
-“We could destroy X griffons within the first year” “Well, I guess we’re lucky we have so many.”
-“I-I made so many enemies … they killed … they killed my cousin because of me!”

Government
-Media control by politicians used to cover up government faults (Snowden gives news to CBC, gov covers it)
-No regulation for regulation sake, eliminate burdensome and antiquated regulation, creating unprecedented corporate size
-Must undo deregulation to keep economy afloat
-Too slow, end up being forced to merge investment banks into regular banks where there is more regulation and then bailing those banks out

Well, personally I am loving/loved this story... but I also aspire to become a diplomat and enjoy the Political Sciences and History, so I'm severely biased and based on your own admission is sadly niche.

Quite sad to see it won't pan out, a darn shame; I'll be adding it to my favorites, and thanks for writing it.

Why was this cancelled?

5207039
Because my previous story (which I have yet to complete) is substantially more popular than this one, despite only requiring half as much work. Apparently, this is too political/boring/controversial to get any views (not to mention an upvote/downvote ratio on par with self-insert HiE) and so it was regulated to the scrap heap as a failed fic.

Hrm. Well, I'm generally somewhat behind the curve, so I added this a while ago and just got around to seeing it again... but it's already canceled. Probably won't bother reading it, which is a pity.

Cancelled? May I ask why?

5395006

Because my previous story (which I have yet to complete) is substantially more popular than this one, despite only requiring half as much work. Apparently, this is too political/boring/controversial to get any views (not to mention an upvote/downvote ratio on par with self-insert HiE) and so it was regulated to the scrap heap as a failed fic.

I answered that question earlier.

5395012 Heheh, sorry about that...:twilightblush:

I was dusting my bookshelves, and I noticed that this was no longer being written.
I'm sad to see this cancelled. :fluttercry:
Hope your drive is better with the next story.

--Spade

Blueblood did nothing wrong

Login or register to comment