• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 727 Views, 17 Comments

Figurehead - CheshireTwilight



Following the banishment of her sister, Celestia forms a legislative assembly to placate her citizens’ fears. One thousand years later, she is left as only a figurehead. Now she must gain the resources to defeat Nightmare Moon once more.

  • ...
6
 17
 727

Prologue I - Loss

Fields outside of Trottingham - 1244 years after the defeat of Discord (A.D.)

It was a warm summer morning; perhaps too warm for the soldiers camped perilously close to the walled town of Trottingham. In their gold plated uniforms, the Royal Guard patrolled the interior of the camp while the less armored militia—with simple spears and leather jerkins—patrolled the outer perimeter. All told, there were over ten thousand troops. Not a significant portion of the Equestrian army but significant for what could be considered a domestic issue. Regardless of their uniform however, the blistering heat was bad, and until noon, it would only get worse.

The Equestrian Army Loyalists were planning how to take Trottingham back from the Lunar Rebels. The rebellion had one stated goal: reform of the aristocracy and better conditions for the working tenants. Still, it didn’t take long for the nobles to spin it into a petty revenge scheme of Luna’s to sate her jealousy for her sister. Luna hadn’t told Celestia of her plans before the conflict, and as such, Celestia had no choice but to side against her. Despite her misgivings, Princess Celestia—at the head of this army—was a problem-solver and she was confident that in the next few hours there would be an answer to this sudden change of events … whether she liked the solution or not. Still, she held out hope that her sister had a plan, that this rebellion genuinely wasn’t a petty power-play.

Trottingham wasn’t the only settlement the rebels had taken, but it was the most significant— especially with their leader present—and a victory here would turn the tide of the conflict decisively in their favor. The skirmishes thus far had been small, but there was no way this siege would be following suit. The Loyalists would have wanted to wait out the Rebels with a siege, but with every day the rebellion lasted, more ponies joined their ranks. It was a war of attrition that they were on the wrong side of.

Celestia stood overtop a table at the center of a large pavilion with the ten highest ranking ponies in the attack force. On the table was a simple map of the town and surrounding area with complex markings noting the latest scouting reports of enemy positions and movements.

Top among the military ponies there was General Halberd. He had been a trusted ally to Celestia throughout the several conflicts with their Griffon and Zebra neighbours for the past ten years. In this conflict especially, the army—following the separation—would have been in complete disarray without his steadfast leadership and loyalty to the solar monarch.

“Have you finalized your plan, Halberd?” Princess Celestia asked him.

The General—a dark grey stallion whose black mane and wide moustache had turned white throughout the years of the prolonged conflict—looked away from his Princess. He seemed to be looking at his Cutie Mark, his eponymous poleaxe. He had earned the mark defending his home from the Zebras in the south. He wasn’t a soldier and didn’t have any training, but with brilliant insight he had devised a weapon anypony could use. It struck a perfect balance for the forms of combat he had encountered and the halberd was now widely used by Equestria’s militia forces. His genius was more than enough to elevate him through the ranks of the militia and then the regular forces. Most importantly—to Celestia—Halberd had been a calm presence of common sense and rationality in a field infested with emotional glory-seekers.

“I would like to say that it is without err … the soldiers of my company seem to believe it so.” The other colonels and lieutenants stared at the stallion, angry at the implication of his emphasis. Halberd then focused his gaze back to the white alicorn. “Nonetheless, it is a daring plan; I have no doubt it will succeed.”

“Still,” Celestia said. As she looking down at the stallion, his gaze once again looked away. She looked at the others in the room. “Leave us,” she said calmly, but in the Royal Voice. The other other high ranking soldiers quickly vacated the tent, leaving only Celestia and Halberd remaining. “We cannot rest while you clearly taint your mind with darkened thoughts. While Honesty be not an Element of Ours, it is still a virtue We value highly in Ourselves and in others. Do you have misgivings of the plan … or mayhap the setting itself?”

Halberd sighed, looking towards the tent door. “Neigh, I have none. The plan does stand upon solid foundation and with the forethought and tactical adjustment of your forces during battle, it will be only a matter of time for it to succeed. Your Highness’ personal magister, Aelia Lulamoon, had relieved me of any anxiety. Her use of the Anima Sanctum to lay waste to the city’s walls, while dangerous, will save the lives of hundreds during the assault. I had found such magic—which tears into one’s very being for the use in fortifying the arcane elements of spellcraft—to be a feat of wicked intent … at first. Indeed, it does take a noble mind to risk what is most important in the preservation of one’s fellow pony.”

“If that be true, then it is not misgivings of the plan, but Our position itself that troubles you. Speak; have We ever punished you for speaking your mind? Oft this Princess is tired of your narrow pity; if that be what hold your tongue.” Celestia’s voice was as serene as always, but her slip into the Royal Voice betrayed her frustration. She had not slept since she had risen the Sun the previous day and her drowsiness was now apparent.

“Neigh … well, I suppose this feeling I have might be pity, for I fear the poison of my mind will turn like venom on my tongue should I move it.”

Celestia grinned. “It would take more than your meager venom, methinks, to taint my immortality.”

He shook his head. “Then I suppose the compendium of my thoughts can be best distilled to a single phrase, although it would not do adequate justice to what plagues me.” He stood upright and focused intently on his Princess, preparing himself for his fate. “Wherefore do we square our brothers and sisters in battle?”

Celestia giggled, but her face betrayed a sense of grief. “Wherefore indeed.” She looked out the small flap in the tent’s side towards the Sun. “It is not a simple answer, as these things oft are not. Our sister’s jealousy, as you surely know from your visits to Our castle, is not the reason, methinks, for this enterprise … this rebellion; whatever the nobles might have Us believe.” She turned back, betraying a slight sadness in her eyes. “She would not risk the lives of her fellow country-ponies in battle to punish Our transgressions, which is but a personal concern. Neigh, Our sister be not that petty. Rather, she had noticed, truthfully, that ponies under Our rule have not been satisfied with its hierarchal nature.

“Our little ponies are fine with Our position at zenith of Equestrian politics, but the Barons, Earls and others—which hold privileged positions—do little to satisfy the wants and needs of the ponies which those foals find ‘beneath’ themselves. Of this We are all in agreement. However, Our sister—as always—is want of immediate action. We, on the other hoof, are willed towards the longer path; that of less risk to the ponies which would benefit from such action. In circumstances such as these, We would traditionally speak Our thoughts like fire; hot, but quick to extinguish with compromise. However, with Our relationship as it is currently, We have spoken less and less. Verily, the anger Our sister expressed as of late has been like an inferno that consumes her. Our wat’ry words had done little to starve her rage. It was too late that We realized: it was not Our noble intentions, but Our narrow concessions which was inadequate.”

The general stroked his moustache and raised an eyebrow. “Then wherefore such brazen acts of treachery? To force such action leaves us with no choice but to defend those very nobles of which she has such scorn?! I am of common birth myself and it is because of the inept nature of their authority that I had to defend my kin against the Zebra aggression at my own doorstep! I have no love for a war in which I slay my fellow pony for values I myself hold dear-”

Celestia held up a hoof and Halberd immediately took to the command of silence. “It would appear that Our words reveal not Our intentions. This war, We suspect, is but a ploy to force Our settlement. Is it not true that the casualties of this war are far lower than expected?”

Halberd nodded his head slowly in agreement. They had only fought three minor skirmishes until now with only four fatalities. Incredibly low considering the massive size of their armies. Still, Halberd looked quizzical. ‘Where is My Princess going with this?’ he thought.

Celestia turned and paced about the tent. “That is because neither of Us wish Our ponies perish. Suppose, then, that their army is thwarted hither, but with minimal casualty. What do you think will befall should such an impasse be reached? We imagine that once Our sister flees Trottingham to her other occupied territories—as she ought—she will make an ultimatum for the nobility, one which We will concur. This conflict has, afterall, embedded in the minds of the commoner the idea of ‘just revolt’. The nobles—with threat of civil war and peasant rebellion over their heads—will be compelled to concede for terms. It is crude, but oft Our sister does take such … effective measures if the ‘ends justify the means’. The reason We are playing Our part—despite Our want of communication with Our sister on this matter—is because it will strengthen her role with the common pony; an issue she hath long resented of Us. We, on the other hoof, will gain rapport with the nobles because of Our defence and quick resolution; which should make such future transactions lead to less … unpleasant action.”

The general paused in thought but nodded. “Then through these subtle maneuvers, this conflict will mend the beaten friendship of Our two Princesses?”

“That be not the only reason!” Celestia admonished, although not in her full Canterlot voice. “Have you not paid Our words heed?! Mistake not Our actions! Our relations with Our sister is but secondary to the troubles of Equestria! It is true, the actors We play have been carefully considered, but this theater We perform is no less vital to the preservation of the state!”

Halberd blanched but stood his ground. He had made a mistake in his wording, but begging forgiveness or hiding away in fear would not change that. Celestia was a mare that wanted intelligent and independent ponies which could challenge her. In the ten years he had known her, Celestia had never punished a pony for speaking their mind, even when she thought they were wrong. At most, she would simply dismiss or ignore them. So despite his fear, he had the courage to continue. “B-be that as it may, would it not be easier to simply remove the nobles from their posts if it be true these aristocrats wrought such unrest?”

Celestia smiled but shook her head. “As entertaining a conceit that may be, their positions are not without meaning. Neigh, it is not that simple matter to fix or We would have done so already. Our sister and We need capable ponies to organize the lands that are not in Our direct control. Aye, We might appear large, but Our attention is naught but of one pony. Without the hierarchy, this nation would be impossible for Our Diarchy alone to manage. We—that is: Our sister, We, and several of Our deepest of mind—had pondered alternatives, but neither Tyranny nor Democracy would improve the common coil but rather increase the common toil. There are not enough moments in the common pony day, nor in Ours, to shift the burden of responsibility further up or down. Mayhap a development in agriculture, in education, or contraption might give Our subjects and Us more time for such civil concerns? For now, though, We can only guide while the nobles act.”

Halberd was more than satisfied now. ‘These political and philosophical concerns are far too lofty and noble a venture for a General of such poor faculties as myself.’

He turned to leave but had a sudden change of heart. He had one last question, one which he was hesitant to even consider. “Then what of your concern? Is Our Night Princess not going too far in her act? Indeed … it is convincing; but I fear without proper communication posthaste, it may well end in tragedy.”

Celestia did not answer and so he left her to her thoughts. The Princess sat in the cold for a few minutes before she collected herself from her melancholy and thought. ‘What is my sister doing? I can rationalize her actions as I much as I deem it warrants, but she should have made her intentions candid when she set off on this rebellion of hers. Leaving on her own is not unusual, but to inform me not at all … it is such gross neglect of her duty-’

Her thoughts were interrupted by one of the Royal Guards entering through the tent entrance. “Your Majesty!” she exclaimed with bated breath before bowing.

“For what cause is this interruption?” she asked politely.

She stood back up. “Your Highness, forgive my intrusion! I have just received word; one of the sentinels of Our Night Princess’ guard has entered the camp. She will speak not her intent save that it is of vital import.”

Her eyes went wide. ‘The Night Guard? For her to send her own personal guard to me ...’

“Take Us to this Night Guard immediately!”

“As you will!” she exclaimed with a salute.

Four Royal Guards were standing around the Night Guard when Celestia entered the tent. All five of them seemed worried Celestia suspected that it wasn’t for the battle—with which they were accustomed—but for their otherwise reserved Princesses making such grandiose gestures like this conflict. They worried for the safety of their nation. Celestia wished she could say their concerns were not valid, but she was believing herself less and less by the hour.

“Is this the messenger then?” Celestia asked the guards.

“Aye,” one of the stallions guards said. “Your Highness, she says that she has a message for your ears only. The guard would say not a word about her Princess’-”

“She is your Princess too, you lumpish half-wit,” the Night Guard spat.

Before he could respond, Celestia glared at them angrily. “Leave at once! This news is of no doubt great import and We wilt not delay its transmission any further!”

The guards turned even whiter than their uniforms made their coats and they all rushed out of the pavilion, wondering what they had said wrong.

Celestia sat down with a stern look. “Now, can you tell Us what message Your Lady deemed warrant such secrecy?”

The Night Guard gulped and looked away. “T-this news is not something that Our Lady told me to give … in fact, I would say that I am betraying the trust Our Lady gives to us by divulging it to you … but it would not be in the best interest of Equestria, nor for her if I keep silent ...”

Celestia’s stern look turned to concern. “You are very brave, then, in doing so. If it would be only true of Our own subjects—to speak against Us for the good of the nation—this conflict might not have been thrust upon Us from the onset.” The bat-pony smiled at this, her fangs slightly exposed. Celestia gave a warm grin herself. “Now relax. Tell Us, what is your name and your message.”

“It is Moonglow, Your Majesty.” Her smile faded. “Princess Luna has secreted herself from town, heading towards the Capital.”

Celestia was mildly concerned, but this was important news. ‘Has the mind of my sister lightened with the rising Sun? Leaving the field of battle; to the capital no less.’ “Did she bring not any guards with her? ”

“Neigh, she brought none! I would not be hither if it were true! We- I just want to protect Our Lady … we are sworn! That being the case ... my orders are in conflict; she had told us to tell no one of this deception. I compose, however, I must tell you. Our Lady will understand, will she not? It is for her safety!”

“We are still confused. What is your reason to tell us? Wherefore is Our sister in danger?”

“She- Our Princess is not well! She has been muttering to herself and is angry all the time. This war … it is not even about her ponies anymore! Our Lady just … she wants to kill! Her Moon … I had heard Our Lady mutter that she desires it eternally in the sky, that all her ponies suffer, so that ‘those foals might better appreciate Us’! She is not sound of mind, she knows not what she says! Prithee, you are Our Lady’s sister. I implore you, seek her out and cure her of her mania! There is no telling what she might do!”

Moonglow burst into tears. “I- I could not! She had magicked herself hence! Even if I had magic I could never hope to catch Our Lady ... but you can! By your leave, I beg of you! I know not what I would do without her!”

Celestia was stunned at the honest devotion. ‘My sister could always bring forth the best in her ponies.’ “Your tears have stifled my vengeful fire. We will leave hence!” She left the tent and brought the guards at the entrance flap to attention. “Guards! Tell the General and his entourage that We will be away. Our sister has fled the field and We must ascertain her plan. Tell them they are to hold position. Have somepony lead this guard back to the city.”

“As you will!” the guards exclaimed, snapping to attention.

Celestia tore through the fabric of the Aether, teleporting in quick succession in chase of her sister. Even for alicorns, they needed several teleports if they hoped to traverse such great distances without draining too much of their power. While it might take two weeks to reach Everfree City from Trottingham by road, it only took mere minutes for Celestia. Still, to Celestia, it was painfully slow given the circumstances. She could sense the disturbance in the Aether caused by her sister’s own multi-teleport spell and Luna had at least an hour lead on her.

‘Please sister! Do not be foalish as has been implied, say it is but a lie! You do not gravely mean to enjoy this war?! Surely it is but a ploy to convince-’ She shook her head. Celestia could lie to others but she couldn’t lie to herself. Luna held the Element of Honesty for a reason, she was a terrible liar; her guard would have caught onto that in an instant. This new information about her mental health—combined with what she already knew about her sudden rebellion—meant that Celestia not only had serious concerns for her sister, but the survival of Equestria itself.

She finally arrived at the edge of the city, only to see the citizens fleeing for their lives. The forest seemed to have a mind of its own, and was overgrowing the walls of the city itself. ‘What is this hysteria I see?! The Everfree is a halcyon lodging! What hath occurred to disturb the balance-’

She already knew the answer. ‘Luna! For even Harmony to reject thee...’ Without continuing her thought, she teleported to the castle gates fearing the worst.

It was far worse than even that.

The two guards which guarded the entrance during her day court, Radiant Armor and Glimmering Shield, lay dead at their posts, a magic blast crushing them against the castle walls. With their armor so heavily compromised, the spell hiding their colors—white coat and blue mane on the former and orange coat and yellow mane on the latter—had failed. To a pony who didn’t know them, however, it would have been almost indistinguishable under the bruising, blood and torn skin.

Celestia collapsed, grasping hold of them, trying to revive them with her magic. “N-no nononono, you cannot do this Radient! I forfend! I-I need you right now! Please, Glimmer, my sister she …” Celestia stopped suddenly. “She did this?”

The idea, the very thought, was so foreign to her that it made her sick. ‘That my sister could wantonly kill and endanger the lives of our subjects ...’ she thought as she stumbled away from the two deceased ponies in disgust, not at their shape, but at her own naivete. ‘I must put an end to this!’

She raced inside and down the halls of the castle, but she didn’t get very far. All around her, the noble-ponies of Equestria lay dead. Their corpses smashed against the walls or in some cases dismembered. Celestia had seen such sights before, she had toured the battlefields against the Griffons or the Zebras and had seen the horrors of war first-hoof, but never had it been so personal.

“Duke Copper … Earl Wheat … Duchess Silver Mane … Missus Honeypot ...”

She named them one-by-one as she stumbled through the castle in an almost trance-like stupor, her mind unable to process the atrocities. She would occasionally stumble and weep, only to get up and move on; somewhere in the back of her mind, determined to find who did this. She barely noticed when she found herself in the throne room and finally away from the carnage.

The throne room was a simple affair, but impressive. A long rectangular room, stone pillars with large horse statues at their peak lined the walls. At the far end, two thrones—one adorned with the Moon, the other the Sun—sat to the left and right of a pulpit in the center. A large stain-glass window was imbedded several meters above the pulpit. Finally, the ceiling was a marvel of engineering, it had been the first ever vaulted ceiling construction in the world.

When she snapped out of her melancholy, she discovered that she was not alone. Sitting calmly on her throne was Princess Luna. She was not wearing her regalia which was surprising since she would never take it off, especially with the protection it gave in such a war-like scenario.

“Good morrow to you, sister!” Princess Luna said cheerily. “It brings Us such gladness that you could be hither! We had told Our thestral guards not to tell you of Our sudden and secret departure, but in hindsight, We know not wherefore the reason!” She stood up from the throne. “You need not worry about their punishment; whoever the guard may be,” she giggled.

Celestia was stunned by her sister’s positive demeanor and all but forgot about the horrors she had just witnessed. Her shock turned to relief in an instant. ‘Mayhap this is all a horrible misunderstanding! Of course! It was foalish to even contemplate the connection my sister could have in this sordid affair! I would not be surprised if she came hither to defeat whatever evil has caused this! She is impulsive after all.’ Celestia giggled, only to further gag in shock at what she was laughing about. She shook herself. ‘Nevertheless, my sister be perfectly fine, in fact, her demeanor has even exceeded my expectations!’

“Oh sister, you had Us worried so! We feared that you had been stricken ill or that you had killed all the assembled nobles here; but forget that, we must hurry! There is something here that has killed all of Our friends and is affecting the balance of-”

Luna’s demeanor changed in an instant. Her face contorted into a thing which could only be described as pure hate. “Friends, friends! Those vermin art no friends of mine! That self-serving, parasitic, abscess of Our nation serves a more practical purpose as they art; crimson adornments for our castle!” She smiled darkly.

Tears fell from Celestia’s wide eyes. “W-wha- w-why Luna?! Not just the nobles, but the guards too! I even saw a maid or … or two. Oh by Harmony no …” She staggered, a hoof to her forehead in an attempt to recover. She sputtered and gagged, unable to comprehend what was happening.

“Why thou ask?” Her face glaring at her sister with unbridled rage. “They humiliated me! Every night, the same insults, the same accusations. ‘Wherefore does an emotional incompetent like Our Night Princess even rule?’ ‘Wherefore do we even have a Diarchy if it be that only one of the sisters actually makes the decisions?’ !“ Luna spat the quotes in a demeaning a tone as possible. “They were the incompetent ones! Those tapeworms deserved their slaughter! And if others got in the way ... those foals deserveth their death as well!”

Luna’s anger once again subsided into a warm smile. “Now our subjects can live with the freedom they deserve!” she stated serenely. “We know you agree. We have had our differences in the past, but it is clear that killing all the nobles is the only way we can set this country on its righteous path! Then everypony wilt love Us and Our Moon; the signs of their salvation!”

No.” Celestia admonished coldly. Her face was now like stone, but behind her mask were so many blinding emotions that her brain could not comprehend them. Instead, cold fury won out. “Thou wilt seek the forgiveness of the families thou hast slain from, thou wilt leave this nation and thou wilt return not ... until I can even ponder forgiving thee for thy insanity! Thou threatened the intellectual and cultural heritage of Equestria ... for … for petty personal gain! Thou hast killed my friends; indeed, my family!”

Luna did not seem to be paying the words much attention. She turned away and mumbled something to herself. Then she grinned and nodded her head. “That is right! It was not they who hated me, but it was thou who turnest the weak gutless nobility against me!” She pointed an accusatory hoof at her sister. “Thou! With thy scheming … it hath always been thee! Our nation doesn’t desire a Princess like thee!”

Celestia stepped towards her sister and glared with a mixture of sadness and rage. Luna flew back behind her throne, when she came out wearing her regalia.Turning back to Celestia, Luna stared back in equal fury. “Not. Another. Step.

Celestia was about to retort, but she stopped when she noticed something different about the regalia. Unlike the usual silver chest-piece and crown—which complemented the gold of her own—this set was black; darker, yet shinier than any metal she had seen produced. This delay gave her sister time to move to the pulpit between the two thrones. She continued, “Did thou really expect me to sit idly by whilst they all basked in thy precious light?! In Equestria, thither can be only one princess! And that princess … wilt be me!” Luna smashed the pulpit in front of her with her forehooves, sending cracks up along the wall behind her, breaking the central window above it and showing the mid-morning Sun still high in the sky.

However, it wouldn’t be for long.

Luna raised her forehooves; slowly bringing herself to a hover above the ground. As she did so, the Moon, which had been on the other side of the planet, quickly found its resting place in front of the Sun. The eclipse shone with a burst of light, then crippling darkness, before finally bringing on the night; but this wasn’t the worst of it.

Celestia watched on in horror as the sister she had know for over one thousand years transformed before her eyes. She was enveloped in a fiery, yet blackened glow; like she was being consumed by the fires of Tartarus itself. When she emerged, her mane became more translucent, her coat turned pitch-black, her regalia turned closer to a lighter—almost translucent—blue, and her teeth elongated into sharpened fangs. What shocked Celestia the most, however, was her eyes. Luna’s turquoise irises still glared angrily at her, but they now consumed her pupil, creating a thin black slit which bisected them. She now looked at her like a wild cat, which had found its prey.

She cackled menacingly before threatening her sister with a burst of magic, littering some debris before her. This snapped Celestia out of her consternation and she flew into the air, only to be attacked again by this her ‘sister’s’ magic. She deftly dodged, resulting in another hole in the ceiling.

“Luna,” Celestia cried, “I will not fight you! You must lower the Moon! It is your duty!” She said the words, but she couldn’t believe them; deep down, she knew this had gone too far.

“Luna? I am …” She thought for a moment before leveling her glare once more. “... Nightmare Moon! I have but one royal duty now: to destroy thee!” She finished off the sentence with another attack.

Again Celestia dodged, this time escaping the throne room through the new hole in the ceiling.

“And where doth thou think thee art going?” Nightmare Moon demanded with a grin before taking off herself.

As she followed her sister, she fired several attacks, all dodged closely by Celestia. To the white alicorn’s dismay, however, each dodge only resulted a a piece of Everfree City being struck in her stead. Seeing the futility of flight, she tried to flee back into the chamber; there was still a secret weapon she could try to fix everything. ‘I know not if you still subsist thither Luna, but prithee, be alright. If there is any way to cure you of this evil, it is with the Elements of Harmony!’

Her moment’s hesitation, however, was too long and she was struck by one of Nightmare Moon’s blue magic bolts. Luckily it mostly connected with the regalia’s natural warding charm and she was left relatively unaffected. It was still powerful enough, however, to cause her to fall roughly on the throne room floor, the magic backlash temporarily paralysing her wings. She hadn’t realized it until now, but the constant use of magic in teleporting back to the Castle had left her substantially drained.

It took her a few moments to get up, but luckily her sister had only used this opportunity to laugh maniacally.

“Oh, dear sister,” Celestia said to herself. “I am sorry, but you have given me no other choice but to use these!”

With the last word, she summoned her magic on a seamless panel on the floor. Suddenly, the ground opened as a complex rotating mechanism—which acted as the thaumaturgic shield, protecting the Elements from discovery—rose out from the hole. With its spinning arms finally resting, Celestia grabbed—in her magic—the crystals levitating on each of the mechanism’s five pedestals. She took careful care to also phase a star-shaped crystal from within a stone sphere at the mechanism’s peak. The Elements now surrounding her, she spun them in a vortex around herself. ‘I have no idea if this will work,’ Celestia thought. The conflicted feelings in her spilling out into tears. ‘I may die, or my sister … but I have little choice! If I am to have any chance to save her—and more importantly, to save Equestria—I will have to do it alone!’

She rose to the sky and faced down her ‘sister’ once more. Nightmare Moon was no longer laughing. Seeing her glowing from the magic of the Elements, the night mare’s eyes glowed white and both alicorns horns lit in preparation. ‘I love you Luna,’ was all Celestia thought before she lined up the Elements and fired.

They both released their magic simultaneously, the blue magic from Nightmare Moon, the Rainbow magic from the Elements—now arrayed in front of Celestia—glowing gold as it mixed with the Solar energy from her own magic. The energies collided, but it wasn’t long before the gold overpowered the blue.

“Nooooooo!” Nightmare Moon cried as she was completely enveloped.

Pushed along by the magic, she flew into the sky, the beam slowly fading as it went further and further away. It eventually found its way to the Moon where a new crater pattern formed on the surface: large, black craters forming the visage of a black mare.