• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 10,005 Views, 387 Comments

My Little Draconequus: Wishing is Chaos - taterforlife



Fluttershy doesn't know what to think of Discord anymore. She wishes she could understand him. Little does she know that, with the help of a mysterious stranger, that wish is about to come true...

  • ...
17
 387
 10,005

Intermission

My Little Draconequus: Wishing is Magic

Chapter 10: Intermission

By the end of her story, Fluttershy’s eyes were dry. Granted, they were still a bit red and puffy from her earlier tears, but that quickly passed once she had moved on to describe what happened after losing her mother.

She hadn’t shed a tear for her father.

With wide eyes, Discord stared at her.

He was astounded.

Before Discord had broken out of his stone prison the first time, he had already known quite a few things about the Elements of Harmony. Being stone hadn’t affected his hearing, and while Celestia and Luna were always careful with their words whenever they visited the garden, the tourists weren’t so discreet. When he had finally gained his freedom back, he had already known that the Elements had chosen new ponies to represent them and were no longer connected to the Royal Sisters.

But he hadn’t had much time to find out more about them. He’d known that his enemies would find out about about his release, and had been quick to act. Luckily for him, it hadn’t been a challenge. Records on the new wielders of the Elements were easily found in the castle, and the security there had been laughable at best. By the time he had broken Celestia’s pathetic little spell that had kept the Elements locked and hidden away, he had already memorized each pony’s profile, with a plan on how to turn each of them against themselves. He’d thought it was going to be easy.

He’d believed that Fluttershy was going to be especially easy. He remembered how he had scoffed at her folder in the Royal Archives. Her picture alone had been enough to show just how easily shy she was, with her head bowed toward the ground and the smallest of smiles. The Element of Kindness. The Element that Discord had once believed to be the most pathetic of them all. He had laughed then. The weakest pony for the weakest Element. Hilarious.

And then she had fooled him, had made him cheat at his own game. He’d been so furious in that moment. Furious, and utterly confused. He hadn’t had a single clue as to how a shy little nopony like her had gotten the best of him. Nopony other than the Royal Princesses had ever done that to him. It would’ve been one thing, had Applejack or Twilight Sparkle had been able to resist him the first time. But Fluttershy? That had made his anger even worse.

But now, as he sat on Fluttershy’s couch, with his tail still twisted around hers, he realized just how wrong he’d been. Of course, he’d known for a while since befriending her that he’d been wrong to some degree. He just hadn’t known exactly how wrong he was.

He did now.

“Um, Discord? I appreciate you holding my hand, but do you think you could hold it a little more gently? Please?”

“Hmm?” Out of his thoughts now, he looked down to see that he was clutching Fluttershy’s hand. He hadn’t even noticed that he had taken her small, cold-blooded frog hand into his big, fuzzy lion paw. He was squeezing it so hard that he could feel his fingers starting to go numb. How long had that been going on?

“Oh. I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I didn’t mean to. Well.” He scratched the back of his head. “I suppose I did, but I didn’t notice it.”

An odd look appeared on her face for a mere second before she shook her head once and smiled. “It’s okay. I understand. But you looked to be so deep in thought. What were you thinking about? If you don’t mind me asking.”

He stopped scratching his head, resting his hand back on his lap, and smiled. “Oh, I suppose I was just processing everything you told me, you know. It was quite a long story.”

She bit her lip. “I’m sorry, I know I probably didn’t need to—”

He waved his hand at her. “No, no, that’s not what I meant by it, don’t waste an apology on that. Goodness, Fluttershy, don’t you ever reflect on a story after hearing it?” he asked, crossing his arms. “Especially that of my bestest buddy’s?”

She giggled. “Oh, of course. How silly of me. I should have known.”

“That you should have! Now, if you don’t mind…” He crossed his leg and steepled his fingers together. “I’d like to ask you a few things.”

She nodded towards him. “Go ahead.”

“What did you do after you came down here? Did you know somepony that would take you in? An estranged aunt that broke away from your father’s crazy family, perhaps?”

His eyes were drawn back to her face as she smiled widely. “No, actually. I stayed with the animals. I told them what happened as soon as I came back, and they offered to take care of me.”

Discord wrinkled his brows together. “But isn’t your talent taking care of animals? That’s what got you your cutie mark. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?”

She shook her head. “We took care of each other, Discord. I did things for them, and they did things for me. I helped calm them when they were afraid, or helped babysit their young, and they helped me start a new life here. It’s thanks to them that I have this cottage.”

“... Wait, what?!”

His face made her laugh again. “It’s true! I was only ten at the time, and I needed a place to live. For the first few years I lived with Harry’s mother, Sherry, in a bear cave…”

What?”

“... and she and all the other animals and I would forage and find food together. I got water from a water fountain by the park in Ponyville. I was so glad that I had thought to bring a water bottle from home…”

“You lived with a bear!? In a cave!?”

“The hardest times were during the winter, but luckily, I had Sherry for warmth, and by my first winter on the ground, the Rainbow family had found me and had made sure I was taken care of.”

“You mean they found you and they let you live near the forest like an exotic animal-taming native? Please tell me you wore a loin cloth and swung from tree branches. That would just make my day.”

She snorted, imagining herself as some sort of Amarezon warrior riding on the back of a ferocious bugbear to save animals from a devious hunter. Being a Draconequus had certainly given her a more active imagination.

“I was nothing like that, but yes, the Rainbows did find me. Oh, I felt so bad for making them worry about me for so long! Ponyville wasn’t far from Cloudsdale, and it had been one of the first places they had gone looking for me. They hadn’t thought to look near the forest until a few months later. They knew I loved animals, but they didn’t think I’d ever actually want to live with them until Rainbow Dash thought of it.”

She giggled as she remembered something. “When they found me, I was putting flower crowns on all the animals. Rainbow Dash pounced on me the moment she found me, hugging me so hard I could barely breathe.”

Discord raised an inquisitive eyebrow. “And they were totally fine with you living in the wild? Because if so, I just have to meet Dashie’s parents.”

Fluttershy leaned against Discord, making sure to keep her antenna from poking him in the eye. “They weren’t at first, but once they saw how I was with the animals and how much I didn’t want to go back home with them, or live in town...They gave in.”

Discord decided to answer his own question for her. “Because you just love your little creatures so much.”

“That, and I was still so shy. The town ponies knew about me, but I did my best to avoid their attention. They didn’t go near the bear cave, so whenever I saw a pony come near, I ran there to hide. I didn’t...really trust anypony, besides the Rainbows.”

Discord felt his heart sink a little at her quiet voice. He had no idea what it was like to lose a loved one.

But he did understand what it was like to be alone and distrust ponies. He understood it all too well.

“But the Rainbows did make me introduce myself to the local mailpony so she could deliver packages to me every week. Dashie’s parents knew they couldn’t get me to go back with them, but they wanted to make sure I’d be okay on my own. So they started a bank account in Ponyville, which paid for groceries and supplies that were sent to me from town. The mailpony was a brave pony, and agreed to come to the cave after I showed her how nice Sherry was. It helped me get through the winter.”

She took a little weight off of him to meet his eyes. “And after a few years, and risking a few visits to the local library to look at house plan books...The animals and I built this cottage.”

After everything Discord had heard, he was no longer surprised. He smirked and rolled his eyes. “Oh, I can only imagine. Now, let me guess.” He cocked his head at her, his face smug. “The beavers helped you with the woodwork and made you some of the furniture, and the birds helped you gather moss and greenery to cover the roof?”

Fluttershy gasped. “How did you…?”

“An easy guess, my dear. You said yourself that you didn’t trust anypony in town, and that the animals helped you as you helped them. But each animal has their own special abilities, just as you and I do. And anypony who’s anypony knows that beavers are good with tree bark. And it’s not like a bunny would be able to help you cover a roof. You’d need a flying animal for that. I’m very good at guessing games, Fluttershy. Don’t you know?”

Except for when it comes to you. I once tried to guess what kind of pony you were, Fluttershy, and oh, what a horrible guess it was.

She nodded. “That’s true. But all the animals did their part. It took a while, but by the time I was sixteen, this was built.”

“It took you that long?” he asked sarcastically. “My my, Fluttershy. You moved out at ten years old, and yet you didn’t find a house for yourself until six years later? Yeesh. How lazy.”

She swatted a hand at his shoulder and he barked out in laughter, putting his hands up as if asking for mercy. “I kid, I kid! But seriously, Fluttershy, I’m impressed. How did you get all your quaint little furniture and whatnot?”

“The Rainbows.” She smiled. “They gave me the money, and to this day, they refuse to let me pay them back. They pretty much became a second family to me, and I… I think that’s what they wanted to be. Blaze cut off all ties with my father after he learned what happened to me. Though…” She put a finger to her lip in thought. “I suppose I shouldn’t call Golden Chariot my father anymore. I don’t have it with me, but in my file at Town Hall, you can see the form that declares me as an independent.”

Discord stiffened. That didn’t sound good. “What do you mean?”

Her smile disappeared, but once again, her eyes shed no tears. “He had meant what he said, Discord. Legally, I’m not his daughter anymore. He kept track of the time and disowned me when I turned eighteen.”

Fluttershy noticed that Discord’s tail was suddenly very tight against hers, twisting them more closely together. He growled as he spoke.

“...Did he, now?”

She knew it wasn’t a real question, but she could tell how angry he was. His hands curled into fists as he stared ahead without looking at anything, his eyes harder than they were before. She heard a slight growl rumble from his throat.

He was angry at her father for what he did to her, all those years ago. Discord, a creature that thrived on things such as broken relationships, was angry at Golden Chariot for destroying the bond he had once shared with his daughter.

Fluttershy felt a fierce wave of tenderness crash into her, and it nearly made her cry. She felt a sudden urge to hug him and kiss him all over his stupid face.

She blushed at the thought. Oh my goodness, what am I thinking? I couldn’t! That’s not me! It must… it must be my magic, toying with my emotions. It can do that, right?

She didn’t dare ask. Instead, she interrupted him by laying a hand on his shoulder, though her face was still burning. She tried ignoring it.

“I-It’s okay.”

He looked at her. “And just how, exactly, is it okay, Fluttershy? You don’t seem upset by what your father did at all. And frankly, it’s confusing in a way I don’t understand.”

Fluttershy cocked her head. “What do you mean?”

“What do you mean what do I mean?! Fluttershy, your father abandoned you!” he said, throwing his arms out towards her. “You miss your mother to the point of tears, and yet when it comes to Golden Idiot, you barely blink! Why miss one part of your family, but not the other? Isn’t family as sacred as friendship to you ponies?”

She opened her mouth to speak but he stopped her. “Yes, yes, you’re not a pony, blah blah blah, I know that! And it’s not as if I want to see you cry over your father, because he doesn’t deserve your tears.” He gazed at her sharply. “He certainly never deserved you.”

The way he said it made her feel so inexplicably warm that she didn’t know what to say, so she let him continue.

She watched as he broke his gaze on her. His anger disappeared as his ears flopped down and sagged downward, resting his elbows on his legs and covering his face with his hands.

“But I just don’t understand,” he whispered.

Fluttershy didn’t know what to say until she put her arm around him in comfort. The words left her mouth before she could stop them. “Discord…”

He didn’t move, but his eyes looked up to her face.

“Do you have a family?”

He smiled slightly. “See, I knew you’d ask me that.” He straightened back up, hoping that doing so would get Fluttershy to stop looking at him so pitifully. “Which reminds me. It’s my turn, isn’t it?”

“Is that okay?” she asked.

“We made a deal, didn’t we? And, well…” He took a deep breath. “I’ve never really talked about it in detail before. I’m a bit curious as to how much I’ll remember. But it’s not exactly a feel-good story for the entire family to enjoy, so be prepared.”

She took his paw back in both of her hands, leaning against him again. “That doesn’t matter. I just want to know you better.”

He cleared his throat. “Right. Well. First, let me ask you: do you remember what Pinkie asked me a few days ago, when she and the others found out about your transformation?”

She nodded. “She asked you about your birthday, but you wouldn’t answer. And I realized that I had never asked you about it, either.” She squeezed his paw. “I’m sorry about that.”

“Pffft,” he scoffed. “Even if you had, I would have tried avoiding the question as I had with Pinkie. Because answering that question would only lead to more questions, and then I’d have to talk about my past anyway. Which is why I’m only going to tell you this once, so listen closely. It’s not something I enjoy talking about. But I will.”

He made a point of looking at her again. “For you.”

She blushed, then let go of his paw and instead took his entire arm and hugged it slightly. She noticed that he didn’t try to pull it away, and it made her happy.

He raised his other arm, and she saw his hand start to glow.

“But if I’m telling a story, then we’re going to do it my way.”

He pointed his pointer finger towards the table. His magic drifted towards the table like purple smoke, with tendrils dancing in the air that slowly began to shape into something. The smoke stretched and molded itself until it looked like something familiar, but tinier. Younger. It had no beard as his current self did, and its horns were stubs, but it was obvious who it was.

Discord spoke. “That, my dear, is me. I believe I was about six. Maybe seven.”

“You mean you don’t know?” Fluttershy asked.

“No. I don’t. No one does. The thing is, Fluttershy…”

She slowly looked away from the vision and up at him, seeing the tiny Discord apparition reflected in his eyes. He didn’t return the look; he was too focused on the past that played out right in front of them.

“I don’t have a birthday.”

Author's Note:

Wow. I never thought I'd see the day where it actually takes me less than two months to update.

...But that's only because this chapter was so tiny for me.

So hey, at least we know that tiny chapters don't take me too long, amIright? Eh? Eh?!? :trollestia:

Not crazy about the chapter title. It makes me think I'm writing a play or a play-based story or something. But I couldn't think of anything better. I know chapter titles aren't usually a big deal, but I enjoy making them. So it sucks I couldn't come up with anything I really liked.

I know I still have to reply to reviews from last chapter, I'm sorry, I will get to them!!!

As always, constructive criticism and reviews are always welcomed and appreciated. Up Next: Discord's past...

(Luckily there's nothing canon about that...yet. XD)