• Published 1st Jan 2015
  • 585 Views, 7 Comments

Crossroads - Jasmine Tea



This is a story about two ponies falling in love, and all the hardships of life. With monsters attacking villages, ancient weapons of mass destruction, secret organizations, and aliens. I hope they make it together

  • ...
2
 7
 585

Chapter 4: life goes on

Author's Note:

IT LIVES AGAIN!! BWHAHAHA
also I want to thank Jack-O-Worthy for doing this chapter is edits. He's an awesome guy in the fastest editor your ever read about. Go check out his stuff after the read.
I also will mention that yes I know my formatting has been weird. I encourage you to ignore it, I am currently trying to figure out what's wrong with my computer to make such an error on the website.
(pulls a bunch of wires and get's shocked) it may take a while. ~Cough

Chapter 4

Ponyville market:

“One bundle of kale, please.”

The newly fallen snow decorated the colorful little town, especially the market square, where ponies of all shapes and sizes were happily selling their wares, along with the exchange of pleasantries. “No problem, miss!” said the vendor, wrapping the bundle up. “Anything for my best customer,” he said in a hearty voice.

“Thank you for the compliment, Mr. Greenleaf, but surely you have better customers than me,” said the tall mare.

“Ha ha ha, you may be right, Miss Tea. When Cupcake was having her foals she practically bought my stand. And poor Carrot, bless his heart, had to deal with her kale cakes for months,” laughed the owner.

Chai politely smiled at the owner, not really caring for the story, but liking the sentiment of it. It was the same type of ‘sentimental’ things that she had with her brother: wanting her to come back. It would be nice, having them here.

She quickly stomped that idea out of her head. She wasn't ready to see them yet. “Well as much as I would love to stay and listen, I’m afraid I have a schedule to keep.

“Alrighty then, miss, you have a nice day now,” said Mr. Greenleaf. Chai walked off into the street, half minding the ponies around her. She looked around at the vendors, seeing the same happy faces on each one of them.

“Look, it’s her, little miss perfect, flaunting her body to everypony. Ugh, it makes me sick.”

“I heard she turned down another stallion.”

“Really!? Must be nice having all those stallions to choose from.”

“I bet you that the only reason why she turns them down, is because she wants more attention. That's why –"

Chai ignored the gossip around her and instead focused on her grocery shopping. The one thing that she had always known was to never show weakness. Her ears perked up upon hearing a frantic flutter.

“OW!” cried out a coltish voice. Chai stopped to allow her ears to turn to a side street, and determinedly began to trot towards it. What she saw was no surprise to her.

“Rumble, didn’t your brother tell you not to play on top of the rooftops,” she said in a scolding tone. There at the end of the alley way was a small pegasus stuck in a snow drift. The colt somehow managed to pop his head out of the snow pile.

“Don’t worry, Ms. Chai. I’m fine, see?” Rumble said, flexing his wings proudly, however there was a red stream flowing down from his snout.

Chai sighed and went over to the colt. “You may be fine now, but what happens if you weren't-” she reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a bandage “-I know I would be scared if someone I knew got hurt.”

She wiped blood off of the colt’s muzzle with her bandaged hoof. It stained a bit, but Chai didn't mind. Rumble looked at her curiously. “What happened to your leg?” he asked innocently.

She tended to the colt’s injury before answering his question. “Well let’s say I wasn’t being careful on what I was holding. Now, isn’t there somewhere you need to be?”

“You’re right! Mom wanted me to find Thunderlane!” he said in a panic. Unfortunately for the colt, he did not see where he was stepping.

The colt slipped on the ice and landed on his back. “Ow ow ow ow,” he yelped. “That hurts.”

“Here, let me help,” Chai said, picking up the boy. She placed him on her back and began to walk out of the alleyway.

“I’m okay, Chai, I’m a tough stallion!” he said while trying to get off the mare’s back.

“Oh? I thought you might like a free piggyback ride while looking for your brother,” she retorted with a smirk. The colt stopped his attempt; he instead found a comfortable spot and sat there.

“Sooooo, did you give Thunderlane pictures of you?” asked the small pegasus. Chai ruffled her mane.

“No. But, I do know there is a local photographer that’s been hanging around my house. Don’t know why he’s been there. Especially when I’m doing my morning stretches. Why do you ask?” she feigned innocence, knowing exactly why he was there.

Her sister would probably yell at her for not charging a fee from him. Honestly, she didn’t care as long as they didn’t touch her hair.



“I dunno–” he said, shrugging his wings “– I just thought, you were his new secret girlfriend or something.” He let out an annoyed sigh.

“That’s a strange answer to come too, and why would I be a secret?” she asked while keeping an eye out for the elder pegasus brother.

“Because he has it pinned up in his closet. He has a whole bunch of them, too. All of them in weird poses. By the way, how can you do all those things with your legs?” he asked excitedly, almost causing him to fall off her back.

Hmm, that would explain some things, she said to herself. “Well believe it or not, I used to be in a circus. I was an acrobat, quite good at it too,” Chai replied; a small smile formed while she recollected. “The ringmaster taught me everything I needed to know to be the best.”

“Wow, that’s awesome!” he exclaimed. Other ponies began to look on in curiosity. “What kind of tricks did you have to do?”

“Rumble!” a male voice exclaimed. Out of the clouds, Thunderlane came barreling toward the snow-covered street. “What are-you d-o,” he trailed off, his face going red.

On his back was a large bag that seem to be falling apart. After swallowing his previous statement, Thunderlane opened his mouth again only to be cut off by his brother. “Oh, hey Lane. Chai was telling me that she was in a circus, isn't that cool!” he exclaimed again.

“Yeah yeah yeah it’s amazing. Listen Rumble, we need to go. Now,” he urged, frantically avoiding Chai eyes.

“What’s the matter, Mr. Lane? You look like you have seen a timberwolf,” Chai said in a businesslike manner. The stallion stiffened his posture.

“Um, something like that. You mind letting Rumble down?” he asked robotically, letting his distraction show.

Chai nodded and kneeled down for the colt. As she let Rumble climb off of her back, she noticed a few rolled up posters sticking out of Thunderlane’s bag. So, looks like he got more photos of me. Maybe I should be concerned about this. That line of thought was disrupted when the colt started to whine.

“Aww, come on bro, she was about to tell me about her tricks!” Chai looked down at the colt, who now had a pout. His brother just groaned.

“Rumble. I am pretty sure she has better things to do than to do circus acts for annoying little kids. Now come on,” he said, gesturing with his wings.

As the colt grumbled, Chai subtly tilted her head towards Thunderlane. The tattered bag suddenly fell on the snow-covered gravel, spilling its contents out. As she expected, there were at least five posters of her doing yoga poses. The idea of them being lewd flew past her but not to the ponies in the market.

The area grew quiet with the occasional whisper breaking the silence. Thunderlane froze on the spot and broke out into a cold sweat.

“Oh hey bro, you got new ones for your closet,” Rumble said innocently. Then his face brightened up. “Hey Chai–” his hoof picked one of the posters “– can you autograph this?” He held it out like it was a trophy.

A few gasps of laughter rose out from the crowd even though most were still trying to be quiet. Thunderlane paled even more as he tried to make himself look small.

“Sure, why not?” Chai said with a smile, shocking everyone in the area. She reached into her bag and pulled out a pen. “Now what would you like me to write?” she asked, still smiling. The colt grinned at the suggestion.

“Write a catchphrase, write a catchphrase, pleeaasse!” Rumble shouted with glee. All the while, Chai was amused. Maybe I should show him a stunt before I leave, she thought, just by watching one little colt be a colt and nothing else.

She smiled while holding the pen and wrote out in perfect script.

No matter what you do, the Elastic Mare will never break

“Here you are, Rumble,” Chai said sweetly to the colt. He nodded along with his still shocked brother, who just stared blankly.

Then Rumble raised an eyebrow. “The elastic mare?”

“Well the ringmaster thought that was a good title for me.” She turned to the town clock and noticed that she was behind schedule. “I must be taking my leave, but before I go, Mr. Lane?” The stallion shrank at her gaze and squeakily replied.

“Yes?”

“I suggest investing in a new bag for yourself. Have a good day you two.” And with that she walked off leaving the crowd and brothers stunned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m thinking something, red.”

“Big Mac,” Neon said dryly. “Pinkie, I’m starting to think that you’re just picking Mac to annoy me.” Five minutes into their game of eye spy and the group of friends were annoyed at Pinkie. “Would somepony else start the next round?”

“Hey, would you look at that, we’ll already here. Big Mac, can ya see Apple Bloom anywhere?” Applejack asked, hoping that her distraction worked.

“Nope,” said the giant workhorse. “Hm, what’s wrong with Thunder Lane?” Mac questioned, seeing a crowd around his friend. A familiar blonde tail parted the crowd, leaving everyone dumbstruck.

The group sped up their walk, heading off into the mass of ponies. “Mac, how’s it looking up there?” asked Neon.

“Don’t know. Looks like he’s in shock,” he replied, Failing to find an opening and continued. “Can ya get through the crowd?”

“Yeah, I think so.” He began squeezing himself through the ponies. He felt like a mare trying to fit into a dress that was two sizes too small. Hang in there Lane, help is on its way. He broke through the crowd and looked around at the ponies. “Alright everypony! Break it up, there’s nothing to see here!” Neon shouted out, turning.

“Uh, Thunder Lane, you okay?” Neon questioned the brothers, only getting frantic twitching as a response. He looked down at the small Pegasus with a questioning look. That idea was immediately eradicated by the new one. “Who’s that!” Neon asked, pointing at the photos. When the older pegasus didn’t respond, his brother did instead.

“Oh hey Neon, that’s Ms. Chai Tea, she told me she was in a circus!” the colt proclaimed excitedly. He held up an image to the group.

Neon gazed at the photo of a red mare doing a split on the snow while her back was arched backwards. Her front legs curved into a circle, defining her body. And what a body it was; it was on par with the Prin– no, it was even above that, with the snowflakes dancing across her visage. Her golden/purple hair captured the little ice crystals, making it sparkle.

“With a body like that, she better be,” he muttered out

He could feel drool forming in the side of his mouth, along with something poking out. Damn, so that’s the famous Miss Chai Tea. She’s not half bad to look at– wait a minute. He thought, scrunching his face up.

But her face was what really captured Neon’s attention. It was stoic. Sure, it was pretty, but it was somewhat cold looking, and lonely. He couldn’t see her eyes but he knew, in some weird deep sense, that she was–

*splash*

“Hey! what was that for!” shouted a now thoroughly wet Neon. He looked up to see a fuming Octavia, and gulped.

“Neon. I can accept you looking at courtesans, or anything. Heck, I’m dating Vinyl–” Somewhere in the background, Neon could hear a noise similar to Vinyl making a statement of disgust “– but I cannot accept you looking at some stalker’s handiwork!”

“You’re darn tootin’ right, Octavia! And as for ya!” she pointed her bucket at Thunder Lane.

“Now, sis–” Mac tried to intervene, but was cut off by his sister.

“Don’t y’all be defending him, ya hear. And as for y’all,” she turns her fury on Thunderlane. “Ya should feel ashamed of yourself. Being a peeping Tom at yer neighbors, then taking pictures of them. I can’t believe ya having such filth around your little brother.” At that, Neon saw a spark in his eyes.

“Hey! Don’t diss me in front of my brother! Yeah, it’s wrong of me to have these, but it’s not like I’m teaching him this,” exclaimed Thunder Lane. “And besides, it’s not like I took the damn pictures.”

“Yeah, Thunder is an awesome bro! Chai told me that some weirdo has been taking photos around her house.”

“Wait wait wait!” Neon interrupted the arguing trio. “You’re telling me, that this mare knew she had a stalker, but didn’t do anything to stop him?” At that, the group went quiet.

“That’s a good point. I mean, I would get pretty pissed if somepony snapped a shot of me and Tavi when we were making sweet sweet love to each other,” Vinyl said nonchalantly, making her marefriend groan in annoyance. She levitated one of the posters from the bag, and let out a low whistle. “Dang! That girl is flexible! I can totally understand why yo –”

“Vinyl! You shouldn’t be looking at those!” exclaimed Octavia, grabbing the poster from Vinyl. Her eyes fell upon the poster in the process. “Oh, my.” she stuttered out, her cheeks turning red..

“I know right, she could put gymnasts to shame with those legs!” Thunder added in.

“Shut your yapper! Ye’re still in trouble, Mr.!” AJ said, throwing the bucket at Lane. A second later a yelp of pain was heard, making Neon feel lucky that he was only wet.

*Achoo* or maybe not.

“But ya make a good point there, Vinyl; why didn’t she get mad?” She pondered at her question. While she thought, Neon looked around at the crowd again, annoyed that they didn’t listen. Opening his mouth for a yell, he was instantly stopped by a chilling breeze. His yell died in his throat as he began to shiver, which was not made helpful by his wet clothes.

“Hey, you guys don’t mind if I take Neon to the apartment already, right?” asked Vinyl with an edge of worry in her tone. Neon turned to his cocky friend, surprised at that tone, only to find her expression to be one of mischief. Inwardly he was rolling his eyes. Don’t want to show the pony you're too soft .

“Oh, of course, please forgive me, Neon, I completely forgot you were still wet,” Octavius said bashfully, her cheeks still tinged with red. “You go on ahead, just let me deal with this dog.” The embarrassment washed away at that statement, replaced with a vicious tone.

Poor Thunderlane, thought both stallions. “Awesome! Mac, you coming”! Vinyl called out.

“Eeyup,” he said slowly, wincing at his sister’s dark look at the Pegasus. Neon shamefully turned around, coming to walk alongside the DJ. Thunderlane, we’ll never forget you, he thought, shedding a stallionly tear as the trio escaped.

The group walked a good half–mile into the market and away from the crowd while not saying much, until someone broke the ice.

“Soooo, does anypony want to enlighten me here?” Neon asked innocently to Vinyl, who only gave a toothy grin at him.

“That’s the mystery of–” her horn glowed and out came a poster “– Chai Tea, the weirdest mare I have ever met. What secrets does she hold beneath those glasses.” she said dramatically, her horn sparking up.

“Right, I’m not even going to question when you got that,” Neon deadpanned. “So Mac, care to actually enlighten me?” he asked the level headed farmer. The Apple farmer looked around the market, still not seeing his little sister.

“Beats me.” He shrugged. “All we know is that she had a hard life. Being an orphan and all, although,” he yanked at his yoke, adjusting it so it would be more comfortable, “she apparently has a little sis somewhere.”

“Wow, really? So little Miss perfect has a sister, hmm; wonder why she wouldn’t tell us?” she said, her face scrunched up into annoyance.

“That’s what AJ sort of said, before she got snapped on. Said she’s not family but treated as one.” Mac nodded sagely. “Ah can respect a mare like that.”

“Yeah but still, there’s no need for secrecy. It’s only Ponyville! I mean, it’s no better than if she was a robot or something!” she said while pouting, making Neon force down a laugh.

“Uh, Vinyl, Mac? I don’t mean to interrupt your gossip fests, but why do you even care in the first place?” Neon asked, eyeing the pair.

“There’s something wrong with her, that’s why! Not a lot of ponies see it, but she’s way too perfect. Of course, Tavi thinks I’m crazy because of that!”

“And I would too, you sound like those conspiracy nut jobs. I haven’t even met the mare yet, but you’re making her out to be an alien or something,” Neon pointed out, also looking around the market.

“Hey! that shit is made up crap for the tabloids. What I’m saying is the real deal,” she said, puckering her lips like she’d tasted something sour.

“Ah’m not going to say she’s right, but she has a point. There something that ain’t right about her,” Mac said, then let out a snort. “Where is that little filly?”

“Speaking about missing ponies, where did Pinkie go?” asked Neon, his body beginning to feel stiff. The trio looked around the market, not seeing a sight of pink fluff anywhere.

“She must’ve had another Pinkie sense when we were not looking,” she summed up before hearing Neon sneeze again. “Come on, let’s find your sister, Mac, and get somewhere warm,” Vinyl said, starting to get worried.

“Yeah.” Sniffle~, “Just… Can we first get something hot to drink now befo– ACHOO!” Both ponies turn to him and cringed at his haggard appearance.

His coat was freezing up, as his mane clung wetly to his face. A stream of mucus came running down from his nose, crossing his mouth and dripping off of his chin. What made it even worse, was that he was shivering.

Suddenly, Pinkie popped out of a rain barrel holding a large mug of cocoa. Of course this made the group scream.

“WWWWHHHHAAAAA! Pinkie don’t do that!” Yelp Neon, now having snot running into his mouth. “Ewww it’s in my mouth now.”

“Sorry! But my Pinkie sense is telling me that there is a new pony but it’s not a pony or is it a pony maybe it’s a half pony,” she said rapidly, the movements of her lips blurred.

“Pinkie!”

“Alrighty here’s a hot chocolate. Now I’m going to find me a new ninja pony,” she said, going down into the barrel. The trio just stood there, then shrugged. It was Pinkie being Pinkie. Mac produced a handkerchief and gave it to Neon, who took it gratefully. After he was done using it, Neon handed it back to a repulsed Mac as he made a face.

“Well at least I have something warm to drink,” Neon said, levitating his drink and taking a sip of the liquid goodness. “I’m almost tempted to wonder how she knew... almost.”

“Now that’s actual crazy talk. Ha ha, but I realize I’ve been selfish with you. You heard me talk but I haven’t heard you talk,” Vinyl said, eyeing a passing record stands.

“Besides the fact that my dad kicked me out! Not much, Canterlot is still filled with snobs, the economy is stable, and I broke up with my marefriend,” he said sourly, taking a sip of his drink.

“Whoa, that’s rough, dude... so, how did it go down?” Vinyl head leaned towards his side, wanting to hear every detail.

“How do you think! I got drunk off my ass, talked to somepony, her getting pissed at me, me telling her to take a hike, and her hitting me with a bottle. Overall, it went pretty well!” he said sarcastically; wiping his nose on his sleeve.

The group went quiet after the declaration was spoken.

“Not to be rude or change the subject now but, why did your Pa kick ya out? Ah know ya can get pretty silly once y’all hit the spirits but, ya never had it this bad before,” Inquired Big Mac, passively glancing towards him.

“Ugh, trust me when I say this, you're better off not knowing,” he said, dropping his head to the ground.

“Why is that?”

“It’s Nobles stuff, can we not talk about this anymore? I want out of these clothes,” he said quickly, knowing his friend’s strong belief in family. Mac nodded and looked up.

“Ah think ah saw ma sister over there,” summarized Big Mac, looking at the empty space between the stalls.

There, his little sister stood along talking to a red mare. “This ain't good,” he groaned out, “all the ponies she could talk to.”

“What?” Vinyl questioned, now looking to the spot. She grinned, it wasn’t the pleasant kind of grin, it was the shit eating kind. “ Looks like she’s with Miss perfect. Hmm, wonder what they’re talking about,” she said, lighting her horn.

Neon knew what she was doing, and quickly found a newspaper. Rolling it up, he swatted Vinyl’s head repeatedly. “Bad Viny. Bad, we do not eavesdrop on other ponies.”

“Come on Lighty, don’t think of it as eavesdropping so much as listening in,” she defended, her bottom lip quivering.

“Right, if y’all don’t mind, ah gonna talk to ma sis now,” Mac stated, ignoring their antics. Loosening his harness, he took a deep breath, going over his memories from the morning. Then he walked towards his sister and the exotic mare.

Now finally done with smacking Vinyl with the newspaper, he looked up where his big red friend was heading. Sure enough his sister was there along with a mare. The same mare from the poster, except he had a perfect view of her rear. If he had to describe them, he would say ‘nice’ and ‘smack’. “So, is that her?” he asked, now noticing her cutie mark: of a teacup half surrounded by tea leaves and spices.

“Yeah, that’s her, Little Miss perfect,” she answered, summoning a boombox for the dictation.

“I wouldn’t call her little, she’s tall as Big Mac! And is it really necessary to play that?” he asked, rather annoyed at Vinyl’s choice of music.

“Yiess,” she said, with the most goofy grin ever.

“Your such a troll, you know that?” he said playfully, rubbing his hoof into Vinyl’s messy hair. She batted him away from her head and looked at him.

“Coming from an actual troll, I take that as a compliment,” she continued, wrapping her foreleg around his neck, giving him a quick squeeze. “So, what do you think?”

“Think of what? Her?” Looking back up, he saw Mac talking to the mare. He could see part of her face, and knew why Vinyl was so suspicious of her. She was wearing the mask of a high society mare. Entitled little bitches that pass themselves off as ladies, Neon thought angrily. However his heart beat otherwise.

“Nah, she’s too high maintenance for me and besides, I just broke up with that kind of gal. Although, I wouldn't mind having a one night stand with her,” he said, giving the mare a once over; yeah, definitely tap that.

“Dude, don’t you mean high society brats,” Vinyl said, making a face. “I mean yeah, she freaks out if anypony touches her hair, but she’s nothing like those snobs.”

“Yeah well, I’m not interested,” he said rather sure of himself before realizing something. “Wait, did you say freak out?”

“Well,” she said, drawing it out, “it’s more like she doesn’t let anypony near her hair. Like I heard Rarity try to check out her mane, and got freaked out! Want to know what she did to her?” Vinyl’s muzzle leaned close to his face.

“What?” Neon’s posture stand at attention, it was not often to see his friend this serious.

“That chick just stared at her,” she said, a bit disturbed on the answer. Neon face-hoofed.

“Really? That’s it, just a stare?” His voice was disbelieving “…Vinyl that’s like teacher scary. Not like Tartarus-level scary. I’m starting to feel bad for this mare.” Neon said, agitation leaking into his voice.

/center] “Yeah, well it’s true! Rarity said it was like looking at death itself! Luckily for her, it was short lived,” she stressed, eyeing the aforementioned mare. The tea maker’s ears twitch. “I swear she’s eavesdropping on us.”

Neon just raised an eyebrow at her. “Anyways, after that scare, me and a couple other guys have this bet going on. Any pony who can get a date with her wins the bet. You in?”

“As interesting as that sounds, Vinyl, I’m not interested,” Neon said, trying to breathe through his nose. It was getting rather stuffy.

“Winners get a cash prize along with bragging rights,” Vinyl said teasingly towards the end.

“Yeah, still not interested.” Stating in annoyance wasn’t a habit he liked doing often, but that just filled the fire for Vinyl.

“Oh, I get it. You don’t think you can get her, do you,” Vinyl said, with a comprehending look on her face. Neon stood still, going over his friend’s words and then snapping at her.

“WHAT! Wait a minute, I never –”

“It’s okay dude. After how that gal treated you, I would have my self-esteem shattered too,” she said, sounding sympathetically, making Neon piss. He looked back at Mac, who look like he was done talking to the mare. Oddly enough, he had a puzzled look while Chai went into an alley.

So challenge me, will you! Make fun of me, will you. “Vinyl... I hope you’re ready to eat those words!” He exclaimed, heading off where the mare was last seen.

Low self-esteem my ass! I bet I can even get her into bed with me, Neon thought rapidly, already passing Mac and his sibling. He saw a glimpse of where the mare went, and headed to the alleyway.

He stopped for a moment. Wait, what am I going to say to her? Crap, can’t just go up to her and start flirting with her. He rubbed his chin in thought. I’ll get rejected like that. This mare is like Canterlot, I just have to get into the mindset of that.

Going through the cobblestone alley way, he found himself in the more quieter streets of Ponyville. Looking around, he spotted his target and casually walked up.

Deciding on an easy approach, he would offer a cup of coffee and then ask her out. A simple plan, but effective. Celestia! He needed something hot right now after that ice shower.

As he walked, he noticed her head leaning down. He squinted on the ground, it look to be a patch of snowdrops. She lightly sniffed, then snipped it with her teeth, getting a couple of the little flowers.

Neon saw her hoof going into her bag and pulling out a ball of string, as she clumsily gathered them up with her nose. That’s… kind of cute, he thought... feeling his cheeks warm. He felt a strange tingling in his nose.

Then his face brightened with an idea. Lighting his horn, he gathered the snowdrops in front of her. Then he took the ball of string from her hoof, snapped a piece and looped it around the bouquet, tying it in front of her.

He couldn't see the mare’s reaction, but knew he was doing something right when she held the flowers. “Excuse me, miss,” he called, behind the mare now. She took a deep breath and turned to him. “Hi I’m –AAACCHHOOOOOO!”

Neon sneezed all over on the mare, making her drop the flowers and tense up. The mare quickly tried to wipe away the mess on her face. But, in the process she knocked off her glasses. Her eyes snapped closed after the exit of her glasses.

He blew it, in the most literal sense he blew it. Chai tea, the mare that he was supposed to get a date, was covered in his snot. “I’m sorry, here let me help you,” he said, trying to salvage his plan. Neon’s magic wrapped her glasses, feeling a snap when he levitated it.

Good luck, a whispery voice said in his mind. Neon paused, just… what was that? He thought, going for a second look.

“It’s fine. Just let me have my glasses back, sir,” she said neutrally, her hoof going to the levitated item. He pulled it away from her, now having a clearer look at the glasses. They were fake, now why would you have these on if you don’t need them, he questioned, still evading the mare’s hoof.

“Sir. I need my glasses back,” Chai said, trying to grab her frames. Neon notice how polite she was being. It sounded rehearsed to him, his brow furrowed. Maybe Vinyl isn’t that crazy after all.

“You know, for a pony who has her eyes closed, you’re doing surprisingly well.” He stated, wondering how she was doing that. The mare stopped, and placed her hooves down into the snow. She was still, quite like a statue in his father’s garden. Jeez this one is lively, he rolled his eyes in annoyance. Then, he notice one of her hooves in bandages.

“Sir are you –”

“What happened to your hoof?” he asked, while wiping her glasses clean. Neon eyed her, looking for something. He would be lying if he didn’t admit that she was hot to look at. But underneath all that was probably another scheming bitch. The same cliché.

“I had an accident with a teacup. You ask a lot of questions, sir,” Chai said politely, her face unchanging. Much to the annoyance of Neon, but what really annoyed him was the fact that her eyes were still close. Why won’t you look at me !?

“Okay, that’s it, stop doing that,” Neon said suddenly, making her tensed. Okay there’s no way this mare is this polite. I’m literally being an ass to her.

“Stop doing what, sir?” the mare asked, confused, her hoof gone into her bag.

“That, stop doing that and stop calling me sir. It makes me feel old!” he exclaimed, trying to be over dramatic about it.

“Sir? You’re not making sense here. Please explain to me why you're so agitated by me,” she said, cocking her head to the left.

He could feel his cheeks burn when she did that. “Gah, that politeness. It feels forced… and didn't I say not to call me ‘sir!’” he said, fighting his blush back down. “Here’s your glasses.”

To Neon’s curiosity, the mare looked genuinely surprised for a moment before reverting back. With her bandaged hoof, she took her frames out of his magic and placed it back on her face.

“Well then, what else would you like me to call you then? I presume you have a name, correct?” she said matter-o-factly, then she opened her eyes.

He saw them, those otherworldly eyes. She stared at him blankly, he stared back too. They both stared at each other.

“I’m… Neon… Neon Light.”