• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 2,925 Views, 153 Comments

Tirek's Shadow - LiterarySerenity



Discord, the Lord of Chaos and final key-giver, gets a visit from a shadow that claims to be Tirek and threatens to destroy the mane six out of revenge.

  • ...
4
 153
 2,925

Epilogue: Where we Leave Equestria in Harmony

When Twilight went to see Celestia in Canterlot the following day, they arranged to meet in the princess’s personal study. Indeed, this was a place the young alicorn had frequented while still under Celestia’s official mentorship at the School for Gifted Unicorns, and Twilight knew the way there so well she could have walked there blindfolded. But she decided against this, although the very thought simply reminded her of the reason behind the visit.

Celestia stood at her window, a tall white pony with a multi-hued, flowing mane, looking out upon the Canterlot Gardens as if in deep thought. A small white stand was beside her, and upon a purple cushion there sat what was clearly the letter Twilight had sent to the princess while trying to find research materials related to the Tree of Harmony.

“Princess, is that—?” Twilight trailed off, even as Celestia turned to receive her warm nuzzled greeting.

“Your letter?” Celestia lifted the parchment with her magic. “Yes, it is, dearest Twilight. I received it three days ago.”

Three days ago, before all the craziness began and Discord’s shadow took shape as Tirek.

“I know you must have been pretty busy.” Twilight said first. “Perhaps meeting with a committee outside Equestria, or handling threats to the borders, or other matters of court.”

“Nothing more strenuous than usual.” Was Celestia’s calm reply. “I read your letter as soon as it arrived.”

“Oh.”

“It was a challenge to delay answering your letter, but I chose not to due to a promise made years ago.”

“A promise?” Relief washed over Twilight at the hint Celestia had avoided responding to her request for such a reason, followed soon by curiosity. “What type of promise?”

“As you know, Starswirl the Bearded was my mentor and one of the dearest friends I have ever had.” Celestia smiled at this fond remembrance. “In my mind, no pony was wiser than he, who taught me so much. Starswirl even helped to give Luna and me the confidence and training we needed to assume our positions as princesses of Equestria. So I would do anything he wished.”

Then before Twilight to ask the question eager to get free, Celestia persisted.

“A long time ago, around the time when we—” Here Celestia drew in a deep breath, as if the reminder still gave her pain. But she composed herself after a few moments. “Parted ways, he left me scrolls he instructed me to open only at specified times over the coming years. It was by reading these that Luna and I found out about the Elements of Harmony, among advice for many other situations that would arise.”

“I once read that Starswirl could travel through time and space.” Twilight said.

“That is correct. He unlocked this knowledge and went to various points throughout Equestria’s history, and most of the time my mentor went alone—though he would bring back valuable information that he would use to prepare for future events. In this way, one of the recent scrolls told me to send you Starswirl’s journal to attempt the spell inside, leading to your ascension as a princess. Yet another told me to send you Discord to reform, and that only “Kindness” would make this possible.”

“Wait a minute.” Twilight could only have imagined what Celestia had thought when she opened the scroll and saw these instructions, one year after the ponies had turned Discord back to stone. “Do you mean Starswirl the Bearded was the pony who wanted Discord reformed?”

“Dearest Twilight.” Celestia stroked Twilight’s mane back in a gentle parental manner. “Starswirl asked me to task you ponies, and Fluttershy as the Element of Kindness, with changing Discord’s ways for the better. Although I did have some doubts, I trusted him, and you have since proved him right.”

“Starswirl must have known Discord’s role in Equestria all along.”

“Yes. Did you ever wonder why the Elements of Harmony only turned Discord into stone, or why you were able to use them to summon him when needed? Discord is a very important part of the magic that exists in Equestria. His constant creativity and chaos actually helps to keep it flowing throughout the land, but now he also has some measure of control or understanding over these actions. Yet this is no less vital a role than the one you and your friends play as bearers of the Elements from the Tree of Harmony. All of you are its chosen representatives and connected to this magic in a way unlike other ponies.”

“What now, though?” Twilight couldn’t help except ask. “Where we go from here?”

“That is ultimately your choice, Twilight.” Celestia replied. “Other dangers will still exist that threaten Equestria and its Harmony, and probably from even more devious villains who want to take advantage of the magic found in abundance here. But now the Tree of Harmony has those who can defend it from harm.”

From there Twilight and Celestia moved onto other topics, and spent a pleasurable afternoon in each other’s company. The future was still uncertain, yet Twilight trusted Celestia and decided to enjoy every possible minute.

***

The loud shuffling of paper awoke Twilight that evening, while curled under her warm bedcovers. Sitting up, her snout bumped into a book in the air over her bed. It took the princess a few dazed seconds to recognize the golden unicorn bust that prefaced one of her favorite volumes on Equestrian myths and legends.

But then Twilight noticed the upside-down draconequus holding it, giving her a look of pure mischievous glee.

“Odd.” Discord said, in mock confusion. “I thought the presence of a book would bring you to your senses immediately. Maybe I should have waved it under your nose like smelling salts.”

“Discord.” Twilight whispered just in time for Spike’s sake, snapping into full awareness. “What are you doing here at this time of the night?”

“Just making a special delivery.”

“I’ve read this book before.”

“Not that, dear Twilight. Although this volume is very fascinating.” Discord flipped through several pages, and then turned the volume sideways as a longer paper—that Twilight knew didn’t exist—folded out and gave a low whistle at whatever he had reportedly found there. Then he tucked his under his arm and coasted over to the bedroom door. “No. I had something far more chaotic in mind.”

“Discord. We’re friends, but you shouldn’t wake me up in the middle of the night unless it’s important.” Even so, Twilight slid out of bed and followed the chaos spirit out and through the palace.

“Don’t worry. I promise you’ll forgive me.”

So Twilight followed Discord, trying to avoid yawning or simply dropping to sleep on the castle floor. A great deal had occurred, and she had been looking forward to a good night’s rest. After the week of shadow-filled nights, she had thought Discord would have as well.

They reached a door somewhere deep in the castle, although at first Twilight could not and did not care where.

Then Discord snapped his talons, and the door creaked open.

Twilight had to squint against the brightness within.


But soon she couldn’t stop staring, wide-eyed at the amazing sight before her—and gave a happy gasp. There must have been a goofy grin on her face. Twilight could feel it pushing back her features, but she did not let this worry her one bit.
For in the room ahead was the grandest, largest library and collection of books Twilight had ever seen. Discord had distorted the space inside, apparently, to accommodate a far greater amount of books than even the Crystal Empire had in stock. They were on shelves that reached to the ceiling, and she could discern a staircase leading down into darker, basement rooms—perfect for archives or other light-sensitive materials. Several of these books, she noticed, were flying about the room.

“Welcome to the new palace library.” Discord said. “I thought you might appreciate having one of these again with copies of books from all across Equestria, since you practically live on them. In addition, if you need reference material on any particular subject, just call for it and the volumes with come flying.” He indicated the soaring editions.

“Thank you thank you thank you!” Twilight warbled out in delight, hugging Discord around the middle in her ecstasy. It gave her a flash of satisfaction that this caught the draconequus off-guard, though all the same, Twilight realized she should probably calm down at least a bit. “I mean, thank you, Discord. This means a lot to me.” She gazed at the many volumes, imagining the joy of discovering what lay within each one.

“Well, you were there for me when I was having a bad day.” Discord looked a trifle embarrassed. “So I gave each of the ladies something special to show my gratitude.”

It was true. Twilight would find out the details later, but Discord had indeed gone from friend-to-friend distributing gifts.

For instance, Rainbow Dash awoke to discover a stable, miniature tornado with ever-changing obstacle courses behind her home. And when the daredevil reached the center, she found a grand trophy with her name upon it.

Pinkie Pie found a pink cotton candy cloud in her room, with a sprout in the side. Turning it on, she could get as much chocolate milk as she could stand—and that was quite a lot based on the way the pony would slosh down the stairs the next morning.

Rarity got a magic pony mannequin, with instructions to its usage. Any design she drew out on paper she could project onto it, to see how it might appear if she created the dress. Beside this was box of rare sapphire diamonds.

Applejack discovered a new apple orchard on the property, which grew a menagerie of different types and flavors of these fruits. All of them were delicious and would make tasty snacks from then on for ponies in Ponyville at a good price.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy became well-known among all the creatures in Everfree Forest. They gained a magical understanding that meant even Timberwolves recognized the kind pegasus on sight and would feign tried to harm her in any way. Because in doing so, they instinctively understood a terrible shadow should overtake them, cast by her protector. But, in fact, Fluttershy would find more and more of them coming to her home, in the most peaceful possible way, to have her treat their ills.

***

In his dreams, Discord was having a picnic again with his friends. This time, all of them were trying part of the dream, and not the actual ladies—even Twilight, who chatted with the others over small matters related to books.

There was only one exception, and the draconequus had left a place open for him from the beginning. This time, he didn’t even need to hear the bells before Starswirl sat down with much creaking.

“I see you made it.” Discord said.

“I see you made it.” Starswirl returned. “I brought another casserole, if you don’t mind.”

“I don’t. In fact, you’re just in time to sample my own contribution to the picnic.” Discord pushed a seven-layer fudge cake in front of the old stallion. “What do you think?”

“Hmm. It’s a little plain.”

“If you think it’s so, then just try some.” Discord baited, and this time, Starswirl took it.

“Very well.” Starswirl leaned forward to cut a slice—

When the fudge cake jettisoned up and smashed into his face, where the old wizard sat there in surprise for a number of moments while Discord enjoyed being smug.

The cake fell off, exposing a merry gleam in Starswirl’s eyes.


And the pair laughed, without any dark clouds in sight.

Author's Note:

Merry (early) Christmas to everyone! Thanks for going with me on this literary journey. ^_^

Comments ( 41 )

And a wonderful ending to a wonderful story!~ Well, given that 90% of my comments have been randome ' Yay update!' or 'Great chapter!', I wanted to try something new, a review! I warn you, this is my first review, so I apologize if it isn't very detailed.

The Plot;
Given my love of Discord, and him going through any psychological troubles, I love the plot. It's interesting from the start to the end. I love how you added Starswirl and just tons of lore into the mix!~

Characterization;
I love it. The characterization is the main reason I love this story. I have a serious soft spot for Discord getting along with the main six. It's just so cute! Anyhow, everyone is perfect. Everyone here is great. One could mistake this for a script for the season 5 premiere.

Starswirl;
I think this character deserves his one section. I love him so bloody much! I have many Starswirl's that where mean and hardhearted, but your Starswirl gave me a Father-like feel. He's just so nice and understanding; it's great.

All In All;
This is a wonderful story, and one that had me waiting with baited breath after every update. I am happy to put this story on my favorites list. :heart:

5418371 Aw~ Thanks for your kindness throughout the entire writing process. Your review was wonderful. I really appreciate it, and all the encouragement you've given me. As I think I've mentioned, it makes a huge difference when to know someone is reading or enjoying your work--especially a person as nice as you! ^_^

Best wishes to you throughout the holidays, and may you have an even brighter New Year!

P.S. Speaking of your Starswirl comment, I did have an idea for a short story that revolves around Starswirl and Clover. It's going to be a comedy, and the working title is: "My Little Clover: Starswirl is Magic." Hah. I'm still working out all the chinks, though. ;3
P.S.S. Thanks for adding my story to your special list of favorite tales!

Twilight's library is now the TARDIS, obviously. Great story! By the way, I nearly died when Fluttershy was singing and then shadow-Discord got her, but I didn't comment that time . . .

Why isn't this story more popular??? It deserves it!!!! :flutterrage:

5418958 Thanks! That really means a great deal. Writing the last few chapters of a longer story always tend to be the most intense, and I'm glad you enjoyed them so much. :twilightblush: I also knew Fluttershy would have to come right towards the end because she has the strongest bond with Discord, especially on an emotional level--and she's so close to nature in general.

Yep. Twilight has a ponderous library now. Actually, I'd based it off the Unseen University's Library from Terry Pratchett's works, but the TARDIS would definitely be a great way to describe it as well. "It's bigger on the inside."

Once again, thank you, and Happy Hearth's Warming Eve (and Merry Christmas)!

5419988 Thank you. I'm so happy you liked it!

Likewise, I can hardly wait to see how your first big project on FimFiction.net develops (my PM response will on its way to you shortly ^_^).

5427563 Thanks! That was my aim, so it feels good to know I hit the mark there. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story. ^_^

5427588 That's because Twilight, in this case, isn't quite sure what Discord means by "unusual." She thinks the strange music might have been Discord's humming, although at this point she is not certain about it. And even though it's odd to her to have Discord cleaning the Tree of Harmony with soap and water, soap by itself doesn't strike her as particularly strange.

So there is a bit of a disconnect between what each one means, though Twilight would like to understand Discord better.

5427600 Thanks! And, of course, in the time it took me to answer your last comment, you had already read the next chapter. ^_^ I'm glad it cleared everything up right away.

5427661 Wonderful! One of the biggest worries I had throughout writing this story was making sure to stay true to Discord's character. I once heard him described as a "walking visual pun," and there are all these amazing things he can do. So making sure he stayed believable was important. :twilightsmile:

This was a very enjoyable story. I liked the idea of the tree's voice/power being like hearing music. In my own head cannon Discord's Magic is also needed for balance so I liked that thought as well. I also liked how you incorporated the Zap Apples into the mythology of the Apple of Discord.

5444450 I'm glad you enjoyed it! :twilightsheepish: The story kind of took on a life of its own, and things like the "Apples of Discord" just seemed to click along the way as possible connections between the mane six, Equestria's history, and Discord. Tales can surprise you like that, if this makes sense. ;3

Another masterpiece. Wonderful story :twilightsmile:
I enjoyed it very much. Discord stories such as this are quite rare and I always love reading stories in which he's an actual 'deep' character for a change.
The dynamic between him and Twilight were fabulous. I would have liked to read more of that. DiscoLight is one of my favourite ships/pairings anyway^^

Like, Fav and added to 'Outstanding'

5477083 Wow! Thank you. :raritystarry: You've really made my day, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Discord has to be one of my favorite characters in the show, alongside Twilight--and especially after the Season 4 finale it seems there is a lot they could learn from each other.

Thank you again! :heart:

I read this story last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! (I read all 50k+ in one night! Couldn't stop reading it haha) I particularly love your characterization of Discord! You really nailed him here, IMHO; it's hard to find a fic that manages to balance out his quirkiness with his deeper feelings, but you got it spot on! :pinkiehappy:

And also I really, really loved the plot twist! >u< I actually really wasn't expecting that! (not saying what it is for those who may be reading the comments and don't wanna get spoiled) And, no offense to Discord shippers, may I just say how nice it is to read a fic that has Discord being platonic friends with the mane 6? I really appreciate that.

This is now one of my top favorite MLP fanfics! :yay:

5488224 Wow, and thanks! :pinkiehappy: It fills me with great happiness to be able to craft a story that people can enjoy, so hearing your kind words is really heart-warming. Ever since the season 4 finale, I've had all these head-cannon moments for what could happen afterwards and what great magical feat Twilight could have encouraged Discord to do--and that kind of developed into this story. One of my biggest hopes was to capture some of the fairytale/fantasy magic from the actual show, so I tried to write it as I pictured an longer episode or two-part story arch might have run.

I'm also happy to hear Discord's characterization came off well. He really is a fun character to write, and it's an honor to work with that character and the other mane six.

Thanks again!

This was a very enjoyable story :twilightsmile: You did a great job! There were some mistakes in places that occasionally pulled me out of the story, but I've come to expect that with a lot of fics... Thanks for sharing your story with us!

5545652 Yes, I do need to go through and do a few revisions. But thank you so much! ^_^

5548472
Well, let me know if you need any help with that :twilightsmile: On a related note, why do you use the word "shattered" whenever you mean to say "scattered"?

5549219 Did I really make such a silly mistake? Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I seriously need to go through and proofread everything here now, although that will be slowly because of school and such (in-between updating another story and various other things). But I really appreciate any tips to improve the quality.

5549755
Well, if you want me to help edit it, just say the word. It just won't be right away, necessarily. >< Good luck!

5549829 Thank you so much for the offer! I definitely appreciate that and will keep you in mind while preparing to edit the story. ^_^

It took far too long for me to find the time to sit down and read this tale. Should've done it sooner. I've been toying with the idea that the Tree of Harmony might have some seedlings out there, but the idea that Discord himself is a part of it that gained a life all his own? That's just awesome.

6260264 Thank you so much for you kind words! I had wanted to write a story about Discord for quite a while, and there was a lot of room for interpretation because of how mysterious his past has remained in-show. So a lot of the head cannon actually took place throughout the writing process.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

P.S. Good luck with your story as well!

6260436 Thank you. I've got a headcanon of my own involving Discord, but I love yours. And the best part is, they're sorta compatible. But then again, this is Discord - his past is probably more multiple-choice than the Joker's.

6260535 That's very true. Discord has lived such a long time that he has had a chance to do and see a great deal. Another inspiring thing is the thought he is a "spirit." That's his classification (alongside being a draconequus), and we haven't exactly seen avatars or spirits of specific magical aspects in Equestria so far, aside from the mane six (who embody the Elements of Harmony). Besides this, Discord has shown certain aspects of the main six in his performance so far. For instance, he's crazy and loves a good laugh (like Pinkie Pie), has powerful magic (like Twilight), enjoys games and pranking (like Rainbow Dash), has a flair for the dramatic and fashion sense (like Rarity), has his own sense of organization (like Applejack), and is knowledgeable about many different creatures (like Fluttershy).

But I might be just trying to draw comparisons there. Hah.

6276507 Hah. Seeing that extra star there beside the Tree of Harmony was one of the reasons I got started on the story, actually. I kept wondering why there would be another one there, or what that meant.

Thanks for adding the 100th comment. Yay!

Awesome story!

6745567 Aw, thank you so much for all your kind comments! It really means a lot to me. ^_^

6800401 Aw~ Thank you so much! That means a lot. Discord has such a passion for creating things, it just seemed appropriate.

Representing forgiveness as well is a very interesting take on his character! Would you mind sending the link to Crissy-miu's fan art on Deviantart? I'd love to see the art that inspired this perspective on Discord. ^_^

7389066 Thanks! Discord and Twilight bounce off of each other pretty well. And they actually have quite a bit in common. ^_^

7428640 Ah, thank you! That really means a lot. I hope you're feeling better and having a great summer. :twilightsmile:

I loved this story so much!! thank you for writing it.

7803122 Thanks! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

I have had this story in my read it later folder for a long while.

I am so glad I finally started to read it. This story was amazing. I could easily see this turn into a two part episode.

I was hearing your dialogue in the character's voices. This story deserved the favorite I gave and the thumbs up.

Great Job!

7994156 Aw~ Thanks for your kind words, the thumbs up, and the favorite. I'm happy you enjoyed it! I wrote this story right after the Season Four finale, and it was so much fun to write. :twilightsmile:

Wow!!!!!!! This story made my cry so hard, its absolutely incredible!!! I can't even put it into words, i kept having to pause and put down my phone to walk around my house and scream as every little nuance and headcanon, im just so!!!!! AaaAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! This story feels damn near life changing, you really really have a talent for story telling!!!! I need to sit around for an hour listening to happy music and squealing about this story now, please have a GREAT great great great day!!! You deserve it!!!!

I keep comeing back to this story as soon as I forget the details. I have read this at least 6 times, and I still love it.

Login or register to comment