• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 2,904 Views, 124 Comments

Tirek's Shadow - LiterarySerenity



Discord, the Lord of Chaos and final key-giver, gets a visit from a shadow that claims to be Tirek and threatens to destroy the mane six out of revenge.

  • ...
4
 124
 2,904

Chapter Ten—Riding the Windstorm

From the moment Rainbow Dash plunged into the chaotic storm, she indeed had to content with on obstacle after another. The pegasus dodged barrels, shot through hoops, zigzagged between vertical poles, loop-de-looped along curvaceous slopes, and slid down water slides. Although these were only a few of the many challenges Tirek threw at her, Rainbow overcome each one with skillful ease—determined yet clearly thrilled by the experience overall.

Despite the latent danger, Discord realized he quite enjoyed seeing this blue daredevil tackle these impediments. They came at a rapid rate, and it took a well-trained mind and body to accomplish what Rainbow could without breaking a sweat. The draconequus made a mental note to create a simpler version for her to use (though his would be much nicer than this copycat shadow), since she was obviously delighting in it so much. And in fact, Rainbow appeared to grow more self-assured after every success, while as they continued to move deeper into the vortex.

But therein rested the danger.

The problem was that Discord had usually approached pegasi like Rainbow Dash with his tornado in the past, who—favoring themselves excellent athletes—would enter and get overconfident when handling these initial trials. At that point, the chaos spirit would begin hurtling far more troublesome difficulties their way and thrown them off-balance.

Rainbow Dash was becoming too cocky for her own good.

“No, I’m not.” Rainbow Dash retorted at Discord’s accusation, both out of indignation and to make herself heard over the thunderous gale. “And I can deal with whatever this storm can dish out.”

As if on cue, a peppermint boulder sailed past, followed by large bubblegum balls.

Rainbow managed to avoid the first few assaults with startled yet relative success, yet when a gumball avalanche emerged, Discord had to intervene. A giant paddle was just manageable and useful to smack the bits further into the vortex, where the draconequus thought he heard Tirek cry out in frustration.

Good.

“Okay. I get it.” The pegasus groaned, misinterpreting Discord’s smirk as a critique of her actions. “I’ll be more careful, all right?”

Although this was exactly what he had wanted Rainbow to do, Discord might have still made some explanatory remark when the brown sugar dust hit them at full blast. It was like some pony had tossed the ingredient right into their eyes, where such a thing had no business venturing. The chaos spirit had little trouble wiping off the irritants (using a sponge), but the additive seemed to be what threw off Rainbow—who started back in momentarily alarm and got side-swiped by a crate.

The pair began to get dragged along by the tornado, twirling about even when Discord wiped the brown sugar caked onto Rainbow’s goggles. In addition, the candy still came at them in droves, which the draconequus fended off in various small ways. Despite this, the storm was starting to force them out.

“Come on.” Rainbow said, though she appeared to be saying this more to herself than Discord. “We can’t get beaten like this.”

“Ha.” Tirek laughed from deep in the vortex, sending forth a gumdrop volley. “Give up, and admit that you will never conquer a great being like me.”

“Never.” The pegasus answered.

“Then perhaps you could just throw me the nuisance about your neck, and we will call it a draw.” A trophy manifested before Rainbow, large and gleaming. “You can even get this sizable award to add to your collection.”

“No deal.” Rainbow said, living up to her element. “Nothing is worth more than a friend. Right, Discord?” The lack of hesitation warmed the chaos spirit.

“Of course not.” Discord answered, after the slightest fraction of a pause. For he couldn’t help being a tad envious. If only he could have been a little more like that, much sooner. However, the brief lapse during Tirek’s taunting had given the draconequus a simply chaotic idea—and something that perhaps would excite Rainbow even more than the obstacle course itself had. “Hey, Rainbow. How would you like to reverse a tornado, and perhaps to even burst it apart?”

“You mean like making it spin the other way?” Rainbow dodged rock candy peddles sailing, as the rest had, from the very heart of the vortex.

“Exactly. As I’ve said, this tornado does not work like others you know. It stays in one place, forcing objects from the center—as well as any challengers—outwards from the center, and is rather self-contained. However, there the possibility of sending those same objects back towards the center by getting the tornado to spin in the other direction.”

“Sounds great, but—” Here Rainbow did hesitate, yet only to venture a glance back at her wings. “I might need extra help to fly against the wind here.”

“Turn around, and leave those preparations to me.” Discord said.

Rainbow did as instructed.

The magic wouldn’t be too hard to do, even in his weakened state. Discord could feel the strength of the pegasus’ courage, and her confidence—in him of all ponies. There was nothing to say the draconequus couldn’t use just a bit of magic to bring out that energy surging in Rainbow Dash and make it flow to the appropriate spots. For instance, with one simple snap the pegasus’ wings grew, sturdy enough to hold up in the forceful gusts. Another snap created an appropriate cover over Rainbow Dash’s snout to make it easier for her to breathe. Then there was the rocket attached to her back and powered by her resolve.

No. Discord didn’t need to do much at all, except flick a switch on the side of the rocket. And then they were off, speeding along the tornado in the opposite way.

Rainbow had clearly noticed her wings growing, and that surge of renewed strength. But the athletic pony got a kick out of the rocket.

“Oh, yeah!” Rainbow exclaimed, speeding along faster than ever before, and leaving a glossy rainbow trail in her wake.
There was a moment where the chaotic vortex appeared to freeze, until it started to twirl in the other direction. All the candy and other hurtles pushed towards the outer stretches of the tornado started to sweep back in, and Rainbow dodged them with glee.

“This is awesome.” The pegasus said several times as the candy shot past the other way.

Meanwhile, they could both hear Tirek shouting in agitation, getting pummeled by his own attacks. Actually, it was easier to listen to the shadow cry out because Rainbow Dash and Discord got drawn further in as well. Soon, they would come into the eye of the storm.

The eye of the storm—

No pony had ever made it to the center of a chaotic tornado, and Discord himself had been so sure this was an impossibility that he hadn’t planned what would happen if one got through.

What would he have done? In the heat of the moment, the draconequus couldn’t have said.

So when Rainbow Dash and Discord burst free from the lining to see Tirek looming above them, hundreds of candy bits collected in an integrated mass above his head, they got taken by complete surprise. The sight must have concerned or made the pegasus doubtful despite herself, for the rocket vanished and Rainbow’s wings shorten. Discord couldn’t make the flow return now to save them. He tried to teleport them away, yet the magic failed.

“Trapped again.” Tirek barked, and the candy came at them.

***

Twilight Sparkle and other ponies dashed along the narrow pathway through Everfree Forest. As they went, the princess tried to explain the strange nightmare she had seen, including its possible connection to whatever might lay ahead. Unfortunately, she was positive one must have led to the other. All the while, Twilight noticed a curious thing—it was like she could hear the Tree of Harmony singing out as she had the previous afternoon, and right after awakening not an hour ago. Yet now the sound was far more cacophonous and made chills run down her spine. It reminded her of something winding up, going so fast something was sure to break or go wrong.

“Goodness.” Fluttershy interjected. “Something is wrong with the forest.”

“Ugh.” Rarity added. “You’re right. They’re limp, lifeless, and so uninspired.”

They were right. Looking around, Twilight could see a terrible change had come over the Everfree Forest. The trees looked petrified and gray, and the vegetation sagged. Setting aside the drumbeat of her pulse, or the quick candor of her breaths, it was too quiet here.

“I sure hope nothing like this spreads to Sweet Apple Acres.” Applejack added. “Twi. Was the Everfree Forest gray in your dream too?”

“It wasn’t in my dream.” Twilight answered, but Applejack had brought up a good point. She was expecting to see a villain ahead, true. However, there had been nothing in there about the woods.

Twilight would have to consider the matter later, though, because at this time they came out of the Everfree Forest to the ledge overlooking the ravine and the ruins of the old castle. And it was just in time to see a massive dark tornado shatter apart. What appeared rocks and peddles came shooting their way, thought Twilight managed to deflect these with a shield.

“Yum. It’s candy.” Pinkie Pie scooped up a wad of bubblegum.

Candy? But Twilight’s attention quickly refocused onto other flying forms. One was Rainbow Dash shooting towards the ground, although the alicorn noticed Discord appear about her and create a mattress on the spot where they landed. Yet it didn’t seem to do much to cushion the crash.

The other was a great dark shadow, in the shape of a dark centaur.

“It’s—” Twilight trailed off. She didn’t need to say anything more.

Tirek was back.

***

Discord ached all over. He spat out candy canes, blinked sugar from his eyes, and bonked caramels from his ears. It was a different experience, being on the receiving end of such an attack. The shadow hadn’t even had the taste to at least throw softer choices at them instead, like marshmallows or cotton candy. One could only have so much of the harder stuff. This reaction, as it was, only helped to take an edge off the jolt he had received after getting hurled like that.

Vision still whirling, Discord perceived Rainbow Dash’s head popping free of his coils. The chaos spirit had grown to wrap about the blue pegasus on the way down, manifesting the cushion for added protection. And thankfully, by the cross way Rainbow looked, rubbing her head with a hoof, she would survive.

“Ouch. Remind me to wear a helmet the next time I enter a chaotic tornado. The rocket was incredible, though. You’ll have to tell me how you did that.” Rainbow Dash said, and then considered him. “Are you okay?”

“Yes. I’m fine.” But in truth, Discord felt exhausted. He was also finding it harder to get moving again—even when Tirek began to descend, laughing all the while. That shadow had apparently enjoyed the show and was coming to finish them off. With the amount of energy he had now, it was clear who would emerge victorious. “You should get out of here.”

“And leave you to have all the fun?” Rainbow replied, wiggling free. “No way.”

“Move, unless you dare to face me head-on.” Tirek said, glowering at the pair, but specifically on the pegasus. “Rainbow crash.”
Not only was Tirek using Discord’s magic and copying his tactics, but now he was throwing out subtle insults (which were simply more mind games).

“You just said the magic words.” Rainbow shouted, zooming recklessly at the encroaching shadow before Discord could stop her.
Tirek swiped with one of his great claws, faster than either Discord or Rainbow could have anticipated, and struck Rainbow. It wasn’t a physical blow, but more like watching the pegasus pass through a plume of smoke.

The image reminded Discord of his night fright, where every pony got enveloped in darkness.

Rainbow paused in midair and fainted, dropping down. Discord managed to lunge forward and catch her. His friend appeared as if in a deep sleep, enshrouded by magic.

His magic.

It was causing nothing but harm again.

That’s when Discord heard TOH play a high-strung melody, frenzied yet somewhat heroic in tone. And that undeniable tingle went through him, signaling the approach of none other than the other ponies.

Leading the charge was Twilight.


“At last, the other Elements are here.” Tirek’s voice echoed. His eyes flashed a sickly golden at Discord. “Shall I give them a good show?”

He came crashing down, hooves first, on the stones upon the stony ground, which started to shift and change—forming a checkerboard pattern that quickly spread throughout the ravine and encapsulated it. Discord recognized the shapes. How could he not? They were his own magic, after all. And now Tirek closed off the ravine so they couldn’t escape.


Oh, dear.

Author's Note:

The battle continues.