• Published 16th Oct 2014
  • 9,206 Views, 207 Comments

The Midnight Dance - CartoonNerd12



An MLP fairy tale comes to life when six princesses fight for love.

  • ...
20
 207
 9,206

Chapter 20

The princesses and the guys were caught between a rock and a hard place. The queen had just stopped them from escaping her castle walls.

Chrysalis laughed evilly again, "Now where are you all going? The party is just beginning!"

"What party?!" both party ponies said.

"I don't remember being asked to do a party at the evil queen's dark castle, did you?" Pinkie said to Cheese.

"Nope. I was never given a request to make one here."

"Silence!" the queen shouted at them, and then cleared her throat, "Since you have forced yourselves into this mess, I have no choice but to cast the curse on each and every one of you…"

"I don't think so, Chrissy!" Discord yelled, "You have forgotten me in the mix!"

"Oh, Discord, darling. I know very well for a fact that you're a threat to my plans. The others are nuisances, but you are the very being that could cause my downfall!" she chuckled, "But luckily… I know your weakness…" she pointed straight at Fluttershy, "Her!"

Fluttershy yelped as she kept behind Discord, and he made sure she stayed closed to him while threatening in a low tone to the queen, "If you harm her in anyway… so help me… I will make your life so miserable that you'll wish you were nothing more than a tiny insect!"

"Oh, I'm not worried… in fact, this all works out for the best. I am made sure that one of my greatest enemies is out of the way and your sweet princess will not be a victim of my curse…"

"What?" Discord said in confusion.

"Yeah, what?" Rainbow questioned.

"I know someone who can explain this better. Oh, Blueblood!"

Blueblood walked in and flipped his mane to strike a handsome pose, which actually caused the girls to nearly gag and the guys to give hate glances. "Indeed. You see, dear cousins, as much as I would have been touched by a volunteer, I did have my eye on a couple of you… Most of you are rare beauties, but too tough for my taste. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack would have been too strong-willed for me. Pinkie would have been too wild to control. And as for Twilight, as much as she is the heir, she isn't all that beautiful…"

"You take that back!" Flash cried out, "She is a beautiful mare! Just because you can't see it-"

"Quiet!" Chrysalis ordered, "He wasn't finished…"

"Thank you. As I was saying, the only one who can take direction and is the most gorgeous pony next to me… is you, dear Fluttershy…" he moved towards her, but quickly moved back when Discord made a lion's growl and showed a fearsome face while protecting his love.

"Now, now, Discord. This is the best offer you and she can get! In order for her to be free from the curse and for you to be out of the way, she would marry Blueblood. So… what's it going to be…?"

The couple looked at each other in uncertainty, and then Fluttershy whispered, "I'll take the curse…"

"What? No! Fluttershy!" he objected.

"I can't marry him!"

"I know that… but you'll be safe…"

"No, I won't! He's a monster!"

"You got that right!" Rainbow whispered in.

"Why, compared to you, Discord," pointed out Rarity, "you're the handsome prince!"

"Rarity… that's so sweet of you…" he truly felt touched by the comment.

"Well, it's the truth. I see now what my sister saw in you all along…"

"Ditto." Rainbow agreed.

"Same goes for me." said Applejack.

"I must concur." said Twilight.

"Uh-ah!" Pinkie cheered.

Fluttershy nearly cried in happiness; they accepted him. They finally accepted him… Discord found himself nearly crying as well, but kept it in knowing there was still a villain watching them.

"We're waiting!" Chrysalis spouted out.

They turned back to face her, with the both of them saying, "No…"

"Aw, well, so much for diplomacy… Nightmares! Come forth!"

On cue, the shadowy figures appeared all over the place and even ambushed the ponies from behind, grabbing them or overwhelming them. One Nightmare managed to grab Fluttershy and she gave out a shriek as she was taken to Blueblood.

"NOOO!" Discord screamed in rage as he tried to reach out for her, but he was overwhelmed by more Nightmares.

Rainbow and Soarin' fought them off and so did Applejack and Twilight and Flash. Fancy and Rarity were blasting their horns, but was making little impact. Cheese and Pinkie were wiggling in the Nightmares' grasp, trying to tickle them to loosen their grip.

A changeling asked the queen, "Shall we join in?"

"No, let the Nightmares handle it. They'll see to it that the prisoners are kept captured. As for you, Princey, you best take your bride and get out of here!"

"Naturally, I don't want to be around when the beast comes to…" he moved a tied-up and gagged Fluttershy onto his back.

She screamed in her gag, but it was useless as the screams were muffled and no pony could hear them except…

Discord may have been piled on by second rate magical beings, but his super hearing picked up the muffled screams and recognized whose they were. His pupils shrank as his heart was pounding furiously. He bared his teeth and felt a strange sensation he never felt before. Anger swelled as something in him broke. In a huge burst of light, the Nightmares were overtaken by the heat and intensity of the light. Discord, in fury, looked around the room as his ears could pick up the sound of her distorted screams. He found where they were coming from and flew off at the speed of a bullet towards it.

Meanwhile, the ponies and Nightmares were still fighting out to win. The unicorns were blasting as much as they could. The earth ponies were using their hind legs to kick away the figures. The pegasi were flying above to use an aerial strike. Spike was trying his best from kicking to using other items to keep them away. Suddenly, something caught his eye when he saw a Nightmare about to hurt Applejack!

"AJ! LOOK OUT!" he moved between the Nightmare and Applejack and with all his might, he pushed her away. However, he was struck with the heavy blow instead and crashed up to the ceiling, causing a piece of it to crack and fall down with him before landing on top of him.

Applejack saw the whole thing and screamed, "SPIKE! NO!"

Her cries were heard throughout the hall as the fight stopped and their friends looked on in horror.

Applejack kicked the rubble away and took hold of the dragon in her arms, spilling tears while blubbering, "Spike… of all the noble things to do… Why did you go and do a stupid thing like that?!"

"Because…" he coughed, "Ponies… do… crazy things, for the ones they… love…" he smiled weakly at her.

She started breathing heavily as she couldn't believe what she was hearing, "You… you love me?"

"I do… I think… I always have…" he coughed severely.

"Spike!" the rest of the girls bellowed to see the condition he was in.

"Hey, guys… we… sure had some good times, didn't we?" he chuckled weakly.

"Shh…" Twilight shushed him, "You need to conserve your energy…"

"Is he going to be alright?" Applejack released a single tear.

The girls looked at Twilight, hoping she knew the answer, but her face grew solemn as she quietly said, "I… don't know…"

The group gave each other nervous glances.

Discord looked around the dark hallway while outside a window, a storm was brewing and it began to lightning and thunder. In a dark corner, Blueblood had Fluttershy in his grip, having her mouth covered to keep her from shouting. He magically picked up a sword and was waiting for Discord to come around for him to strike.

With Discord's back turned, Fluttershy fought out the prince's hold and screamed out, "Discord! Watch out!"

Blueblood yelled out as he swung the sword, but it clashed with another sword Discord was holding.

"Now really, Your Highness, that's playing dirty. Striking an unarmed pony? For shame, for shame… This is more of a fair fight!" he started fencing his sword.

The duel began as swords clanged and clashed. This went on for a bit as they dueled out to a balcony while it was still raining and lighting. Finally, Discord had gained the upper-hand and pressed the sword tip to Blueblood's chin.

"Okay! Okay! You win!" Blueblood sputtered, "Just don't hurt me! I'll do anything! Anything!"

Discord still had a fearsome look, but it lessened as he moved his face to him, whispering in a threatening tone, "Then run. Run away… and never return…" He threw down his own sword and snapped his fingers. With that, Blueblood was gone.

"Discord!" a gentle voice called out to him.

He turned around and embraced the pegasus who ran into his arms. They held on to each other for the longest time.

"You were wonderful! But… where did he…?"

"I sent him to the outskirts where he can run for his life and to never bother you again…" he ran his fingers through her hair.

She, in turn, stroked his dark mane, "I was so scared… that I wasn't going to see you or my sisters again…" she released a few small tears that fell down from her cheek.

"It's alright… it's over… it's over…"

A horrible thought occurred to her, "The girls! They're still fighting off those cruel things! We have to get back!"

He nodded and they rushed back.

Twilight felt that Spike's heart was barely beating. She was trying to hold back her tears, but it was impossible, "Spike, no… You've got to fight this! You've got to!"

He wheezed, "I… don't think I can…"

Applejack was crying harder and moaned, "No, Spike… No…"

He took hold of her hoof, "I'm sorry… Applejack… I… tried… I love you…" He took a final breath before closing his eyes, becoming lifeless in her arms.

"Spike… No… Spike…" Her heart was breaking in half and her voice had broken from sobbing. "No! No!" she kept bawling onto him.

Everyone else was crying as well and standing in mourning as lovers clung onto each other.

Discord and Fluttershy finally made it back, only to see the heartbreaking scene before them.

"Oh, no… Spike!" Fluttershy cried out.

"No…" Discord whispered.

The others turned back to them with glistening eyes, unable to say anything. They lost a friend today: a noble creature who was always willing to help others out and who was always there for them…

"He's not… he can't be…" Discord couldn't believe it.

Twilight could only solemnly nod her head to give the answer.

His eyes grew big as he looked at the dragon, "Oh, Spike… if only there were some way-" Then he realized, "The bottle…"

Applejack looked up to him, "What?"

"The bottle!" he took out the vial that Luna gave him, "Applejack! Give this to him, quick!" He handed it over to her.

"But why? What does it-"

"Just give it to him now!"

She quickly opened the cork and poured the water into his mouth. Once it was all gone, she was silently praying, "Please… Please… come back to me… I never had the chance to tell you… that… I love you, too…"

There was silence for the longest time, and just when they thought it didn't work after all, there was a huge gasp for air and he coughed out his fire.

"Spike!" they all cheered.

"You're alive!" Rarity shouted in joy.

"You really had us scared there, buddy!" Cheese jumped.

"You sure did…" agreed both Flash and Twilight.

"Whoa… it was so dark… but then… I heard a voice…" he looked to Applejack, "Your voice. Was it true?"

She beamed at him and said, "Yes… I do love you… I always have…" She pressed her lips to his and they kissed for a long period of time while the others applauded to them.

"It was about time…" Discord whispered to Fluttershy and she giggled in response.

"Ew, gag!" an evil voice said.

They looked up, forgetting that Chrysalis was there the whole time.

"All this lovey-dovey stuff, it's so sickening! Friendship, love…Oh, it's all so precious! It makes me want to hurl!"

"You don't know what love is!" Twilight shouted in defense.

"Believe me, Chrissy, I once thought the same way you did, but you couldn't be more wrong!" Discord looked at Fluttershy while still explaining to the queen, "It's everything you could ever want… That is, if only you are willing to have it!"

"Whatever! We have some unfinished business to attend to! It is time for the curse to be complete!"

"You'll have to go through us first!" proclaimed Flash as the boys moved in front of their girls.

"All right, I'm flexible. It doesn't matter anyway who gets to go first!" she laughed.

"No!" the girls moved in front of the boys.

"Wha… Rarity?"

"I'm tired of running! I'm going to face this monster if I have to!"

"We, too!" the other princesses pointed out.

Chrysalis laughed, "So be it, aur revoir, my dears!" She started casting the spell.

"No!" came a shrill deep voice, and out of ground in a shadowy form, Sombra made his appearance, "You will not take them!" He then turned into his unicorn body.

The girls were shocked while the boys were happy that their back-up had finally come.

"Sombra! Such a surprise to see you here! But how foolish of you to reveal yourself to your daughters. No doubt they're appalled by your state… Isn't that right, ladies?"

Sombra felt ashamed as he looked back to them and could see the shock in their faces. He felt no doubt about what Chrysalis had just said.

"Wrong!" Twilight shouted.

"Hmm?" Chrysalis was stunned by this answer, "What…?"

Even Sombra was surprised by the answer and hope began to rise in him when he heard all of his girls responding.

"We don't care what our father looks like!" Rarity yelled.

"He'll always be our dad, no matter what!" Rainbow spouted.

Fluttershy cried out, "He's the same kind-hearted father and king he always will be!"

"No matter what you give to him, he will fight it!" Applejack bellowed.

"He's our Papa and we love him!" Pinkie hollered.

"And we will never stop loving him…" Twilight declared to both Chrysalis and Sombra, "…no matter the change…"

Sombra was smiling to his girls' declaration of love as they smiled back at him. The next thing he knew, a rainbow of colors surrounded him and he was being lifted off the ground, twirling.

Chrysalis was agape to this sudden magic happening while the girls and boys were looking in awe. A huge glow filled the room and in a burst, Sombra was transformed back to normal. His hair was back to its sleek style and his horn returned to its original form. His eyeballs were white again and his eyes were emeralds once more. The dark aura that surrounded him was officially gone as he was just the unicorn king like he was before.

"Father!" the princesses cheered as they ran to embrace him, crying tears of joy.

"My girls… my daughters… how I missed you so much…" he told them while taking turns holding on to each of them.

"We missed you too, Father!" Rarity said.

"We missed you forever and ever!" Pinkie motioned.

Behind them, the guys were getting teary to the heartwarming reunion. Cheese even had a hankie and started blowing. But the reunion was short-lived when Chrysalis screeched, "No! Impossible! No pony can ever break that curse! How did you… Never mind! I will deal with all of you after this!" she set her horn to cast the spell, but tiny sparks flew out instead, "What?! No!"

Sombra spoke, "It's over, queen… The curse is broken, which means you are powerless. Look…" he pointed at the Nightmares, whose dark shadows were no more and instead, they were regular looking magical creatures.

Discord snapped his fingers and the queen found herself and the other changelings crowded with her in a steel cage. He wiped his hands proclaiming, "She won't be getting out of there for a while."

"Thank you…" a creature named Jerome said, "You have set us all free…"

"You're welcome." Twilight bowed her head as did her sisters and father.

The creatures that were once Nightmares nodded and went out the doors, freed at last.

Once the large of ponies made out of the castle themselves, they rejoiced how they had won and gained so much.

Rainbow nudged Soarin' on the way out, "Those were some slick moves you had back there."

"You weren't so bad yourself…" he said as they kept staring at the other.

"You were so brave!" Rarity told Fancy.

"Well, you were the reason…" he winked.

"Ohh…" she touched her heart.

Fluttershy kissed Discord's cheek, "I especially loved the part at the end, when you gave that nasty queen what she deserved."

"All in a day's work, my love…" he took her hoof to hold as they kept going.

"You were amazing!" Pinkie jumped with Cheese.

"You were amazing-er!" he pointed out.

"No, you were!"

Applejack and Spike walked side by side in silence until he said, "AJ?"

"Yeah?" she questioned.

"Will you… um…" he rubbed his neck.

"Yes?"

"Would you be my very special some pony?!" he said quickly.

She gasped and shouted, "Yes! A thousand times yes!" She grabbed him up to kiss him on the lips again.

Twilight, Flash, and Sombra were the last ones out with Twilight telling her dad, "Oh, Papa, there's so much we have to catch up on and there are so many things we want to know…"

"And we will, as soon as we're back in at the castle." he kissed her forehead and moved towards the others talking with them.

Flash and Twilight took a brief stop to face each other.

She said, "None of this would have been possible without you or the others… I can't thank you enough of coming after us and finding our father…"

"It was nothing…" he blushed, "Really…"

"It was something… and I am… so happy to have you here…"

"You are?" his hopes rose.

"I do… I love you…"

"And… I love you, too…"

They stared into each other's eyes as they leaned in slowly before kissing fully on the lips. They broke apart and before they knew it, Twilight had a dark pink glow coming from within her and it surrounded her. She didn't know what was happening and neither did Flash as he stepped back. The gang looked back in surprise of what was going on with Twilight, but Sombra seemed to be grinning.

In a burst of light, Twilight was gently taken back to the ground.

"Twilight? Are you alright?" Applejack asked.

Twilight lifted herself up and suddenly, she spread out wings!

The crowd gasped in astonishment.

"Oh, my goodness!" Fluttershy exclaimed.

"Twilight's got wings!" Rainbow gestured, "Awesome!"

"Darling, you're an alicorn! Like Mother!" motioned Rarity.

"Do you know what this means, Cheesy?" Pinkie led him on.

"I sure do!"

Both of them said together, "Alicorn party!" They blew noisemakers.

Discord found himself sputtering, "But-but-but how is that even remotely possible?! Even I can't do something like that! How did you do that?!"

Twilight found her voice after getting over the shock of having a pair of wings, "I… I don't know! All I did was kiss Flash and now I'm like this!"

Flash apologized, "Twilight! I'm so sorry! I didn't… I didn't mean…"

Sombra came up to them and chuckled, "You have nothing to apologize for, Flash Sentry. This was to be expected for the chosen heir of Equestria…"

"Father?" Twilight raised her eyebrow.

"You see, Twilight, when you were the last born of your sisters, your mother and I knew you would be the one to take our place someday. You may have looked like a unicorn, but you had a power within that could only be revealed when the time would come for to have true love's kiss and earn your wings… Love is the emotion that can reveal one's true potential…"

Discord pointed out, "Well, that's certain a little cheesy!"

"Hey!" Cheese whined.

The group couldn't help but laugh.

Twilight stared back at Flash, "I just can't believe… we're true loves… destiny to be forever…"

"Forever and ever!" Pinkie jumped in excitement.

"But we've only known each other for such a short time… and yet, it's seems longer than that…" he took her hoof as he moved her closer to him and they shared another kiss.

"Aww…" part of the crowd gushed.

Rainbow came between them, "Alright, enough of the mushy stuff! Let's get home!"

"Your wish is my command." Discord bowed and he snapped his fingers as they were all gone in a flash.