• Published 16th Oct 2014
  • 9,156 Views, 207 Comments

The Midnight Dance - CartoonNerd12



An MLP fairy tale comes to life when six princesses fight for love.

  • ...
20
 207
 9,156

Chapter 19

Chrysalis and Blueblood were in her throne room of the dark castle that was at the center of the Changeling Kingdom. The day was just about to arrive for the princesses to make their choice.

"It makes sense to marry the heir!" Chrysalis argued.

"If Twilight is the one who volunteers, then yes. But if not, then I shall take the bride that holds my interest and won't give me a hard time."

"But if you marry the Princess Twilight, then that guarantees your spot for the throne and I'll be free to take all of Equestria!"

"Tempting to be sure, but Twilight never did appeal to me. She's alright looking, but a few of her sisters are knock-outs!"

"Ugh. Stallions… But it goes to show that I'm right when it comes to taking places of other mares; the colt just cares about a pretty face and doesn't bother to check to make sure it's really their marefriend! So, are you going to go to them this morning?"

"I shall give them until sunset to make the decision, being the gentlecolt that I am. It doesn't matter to me; I get a bride either way. Although, I hope none of them take up the offer unless, of course, the one I want volunteers, then I'll be satisfied anyway!"

"Just out of curiousey… who did you choose?"

He smirked before answering the question.

From the little dungeon window, the princesses could see their mother's sun raising. It was officially the last day, the day that the curse would be fulfilled and Blueblood would get his wife willingly or not.

"This is it, girls," said Twilight, "Today is the day they give us our ultimatum. If any of you want to escape the curse and marry Blueblood, I wouldn't hold it against you. None of us would…"

The sisters nodded at each other.

"So… does any pony want to?"

They exchanged glances, not saying anything.

"I take it then we're waiting until he actually gets here and then you'll be more voluntarily to say…?"

"I think you're right, Twi," said Applejack. "None of us want to admit that we're going to marry Blueblood without the rest of us thinking otherwise…"

"Until he does show up, let's talk about something else…" Rarity suggested.

"About what?" questioned Rainbow, "The curse? And what that's like?"

"Oh…" Fluttershy crouched down, "I wish Discord was here…"

"I wish Cheese was here!" Pinkie crouched, too.

"I wish Soarin' would get here already! Why haven't they come get us yet?!"

"Maybe Mother told them it would be too dangerous for them to come…" Twilight thought out loud.

"What?!" Fluttershy shouted, "I don't believe that for one second! Discord won't stop at nothing to bring me back! Doesn't it strike you girls as odd that he or any of them aren't here yet? Because he has a plan! And he's using Spike and the others to help out!"

"You know…" AJ pondered, "She's right! That being full of chaos has the power to appear and disappear at will! He could have been here days ago, but he must know something that's preventing him from doing so! And knowing Spike, he wanted to come along and so did the rest of them. They're doing a sneak attack on Queenie to set us free!"

"Oh, I do hope so!" Rarity rejoiced.

"Sweet! No curse and no Blueblood for us!" Rainbow flapped up.

"Well, that's assuming they get here in time…" Twilight informed them.

"Aw, don't be such a downer, Twilight!" said Pinkie, "I know they'll be here today just before the sun sets!"

"I hope you're right… I really hope you're right…" she looked up to the window, praying with all her heart that this dawn would be a new beginning for them and a sign to her that she would be able to see Flash again very soon.

The guys had finally made it to the kingdom of changelings and found a secluded area overlooking the place and the scary-looking castle.

"What do you see?" Flash asked Discord as he was looking into a pair of binoculars.

"Changeling guards. Lots and lots of changeling guards…"

"Then, how we going to get inside?" Spike questioned with worry.

"Wait, I know!" Flash scurried through his bag and took out the cloak, showing it to them.

They were confused and Soarin' asked, "A blanket? Your way in is though a blanket?"

"Ugh, it's not a blanket! It's a cloak."

"So…?" Fancy said, "What does it do?"

He smirked, "I'll show you." He put it over his head and instantly became invisible, causing the rest of the guys to gawk.

"Hey, where did he go?!" motioned Cheese.

Flash took it off to show himself, explaining, "Zecora gave this to me when I saved her from the Timberwolf. She told me I was going to need this when things got heated and this is as heated as they come."

Discord extended his hand out, asking, "May I?"

He handed the cloak over to him as Discord examined it, "Hmm, tightly stitched fabric… holding a magical portion of invisibility when in contact of the wearer… machine washable…" he put it around his neck, "And quite comfortable, too." He gives it back to Flash and remarked, "You certainly got a good deal out of saving lives, didn't you?"

"So, do you think it could work?" He looked over to the castle and its many posted guards around it.

"It'll more than work! We now have a way to get them out before lunchtime! So, here's how we're going to do this…" Discord put them into a huddle, whispering his plan.

Flash, wearing the cloak, quietly made his way up to the guards in front of the doors. He made sure he knocked them out and gave out the bird whistle signal for Spike and Soarin' to come to him.

Flash whispered from under his cloak, "Remember, we meet back here in half an hour to see if either one of us find the princesses…"

"Right." both dragon and pegasus said as they opened the front doors and each took a separate hallway in the strange castle.

Cheese looked over to Discord, "While they're inside, what do we do?"

"Just hold your horses. Oh, get it? Hold your horses? Eh?"

"I fail to see how this is the time for, ugh, puns…" pointed Fancy.

"Ah, yes, right… Must keep to the mission at hand! Anyway, Cheese, we wait to make sure they know where the girls are, and once they do… They'll come back here and tell us. From there, we grab the princesses and get the heck out of here! Now, is that more clear to you in that puny pony brain of yours?"

"Okie-dokie!" he went back to watch the castle as lookout.

Discord could only sigh in displeasure.

Spike tip-toed around the dark corners of the creepy hallways. He always made sure the coast was clear before continuing on. He looked back to make sure he didn't get spotted and he faced the front again, only to be startled by a stone gargoyle. Once he took a closer look, relief washed over him and he pressed forward on his assignment.

Soarin' was flying in the rafters of the castle ceiling. Suddenly, he heard voices coming from a room and took a peek to listen in.

"…The day is almost over, Blueblood."

Soarin' whispered, "Blueblood?" He kept listening.

"Soon, you shall have your bride and I shall have Equestria!"

"I must admit, Your Highness, at first I wasn't so keen to join you, but you when you offered that chance for me to have one of my cousins. After all, how could I refuse?"

"Indeed… You are an excellent traitor to your country."

"Traitor is such a strong word. I like to think of myself as gaining what I want as always."

"But of course you do; you are a prince. As am I a queen, we deserve the things that we can possess!"

"As is fitting."

They laughed evilly.

"That turncoat!" Soarin' said under his breath, "We've got to find the girls and fast!" He flapped away, unaware of what Chrysalis said next.

"Perfect…"

"What's perfect?"

"Your competition is here, but don't worry. They'll soon be taken care of and you'll be free to have your wife…" She gave off a menacing look, "And I will be able to put the curse on all of them!" She laughed more evilly, making Blueblood scared.

Flash got to the lower parts of the castle and trotted down the steps. He found a single door down there and thought, I hope this is it… He opened the door as it creaked. He heard a voice he recognized all too well.

"Hello? Is anybody there?"

He walked in with the cloak still on him, and through the fabric, he could see them. They were all there. He smiled at the sight that set his heart to soar.

"That's weird. The door just opened by itself." said Applejack.

"Ooh, do you think there are ghosts in this castle?" Pinkie used an eerie tone.

"Ghosts?" Fluttershy squeaked.

"Of course there aren't any ghosts!" Rainbow said, "It was just the wind."

"I wouldn't be too sure of that." Flash spoke up.

The girls stiffed at the sound until Twilight stammered, "Wha… What or who are you?"

He took off the cloak and all of them shouted with joy, "Flash!"

"Oh, my gosh!" Twilight had near tears in her eyes, "Is it really you?!"

Flash moved to her, smiling, "It is…" He took her hoof, but then she wrapped both of her hooves around him, embracing him in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much…" she told him.

"I missed you, too…" he confessed.

"Flash," said Rarity, "if you're here, does this mean…" Hope then swelled in her heart.

He turned to them, grinning widely, "Yes, we're all here: Discord, Cheese, Soarin', Fancy, and Spike. We've come to get you out of here and bring you home!"

There were cheers before Flash had to shush them.

"Sorry…" Pinkie whispered.

"Well, it was about time!" Rainbow mentioned, "What took you guys so long?"

"We… had a few obstacles to encounter, but that doesn't matter. We're here now and not a moment too soon…" he looked at the shackles around their necks and reached out for Twilight's, "Here, let me get you out of those." he touched it, but an electrical shock went through him, causing him to be flung back.

"Flash!" Twilight cried out, "Are you okay?!"

He grunted as he got up, slightly smoking, "I'm a little burnt like toast, but otherwise okay."

"Burnt like toast?" Fluttershy questioned, "That's something Discord would say."

"He must be rubbing off of me, then. He has a tendency of doing that, you know…"

She blushed, "Do I ever…" Then, a thought crossed her mind, "Is he okay? Where is he?"

"Yeah, and where's Soarin'?"

"And Cheese?"

"And Fancy Pants?"

"And Spike? Is he okay?"

"Don't worry, they're all okay. Discord, Cheese and Fancy are waiting outside for me, Spike, and Soarin' to give our report about finding you guys."

"Then go to them. Maybe Discord can do something about these chains." Twilight motioned.

"Right…" he stared at her before turning to go, but stopped when she asked.

"Quick question, though: where did you get the invisibility cloak? I've read about them, but I didn't think I would be able to see one!"

"Zecora gave it to me when I saved her from the Timberwolf. She even told me that I was going to need it later and boy, was she ever right."

"That's great! Oh, Flash, I'm so proud of you…"

"Anything… for you…"

"Awww…" the girls awed.

With a look of fortitude, he went to the door and told them, "I'll be back, and with the others. It won't be long now."

"I certainly hope not." said Rarity, "I want to see my Fancy…"

"And I want my Cheesy…"

He chuckled, "Believe me, they'll want to see you, too…" he looked back to Twilight, "And I will always come back to you…" he blew a kiss and put on the cloak before quickly going out the door.

Twilight could only swoon while her sisters smirked at her.

Spike and Soarin' were already at the front doors with Spike asking, "Did you find them?"

"No, but I do have bad news…"

"What?"

"I'll tell you when we're all together."

Spike looked around, "Where's Flash?"

"Right here." said a voice.

Spike jumped when Flash pulled off the cloak, "Geez! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Sorry about that, but I have great news: I found them!"

"You did?!" Both of them said and started asking random questions.

"Easy! I'll tell you everything as soon as we meet back with the others."

They nodded and rushed back to the area where the other guys were waiting impatiently.

"Well…?" Fancy gestured.

"They're in the dungeon." spoke Flash.

"What?!" the rest gasped.

"And they have chains that keeps them from escaping. I tried getting one off, but I was electrocuted!"

"That explains your hair being more frizzy than usual." Cheese pointed out.

"And that's not all," said Soarin', "Blueblood's here working for the queen!"

"Blueblood?!" all of them said again.

"And he's trying to marry one of them!"

"SAY WHAT?!" they all growled.

"Not if I can help it!" Fancy started charging towards the castle, but was grabbed by the tail by Discord.

"Whoa there! Since when are you usually the stallion that barges in without a plan?"

"Where Blueblood is concerned, I have to help my Rarity before it's too late!"

"And we will! Flash, show us the way." Discord said.

The pegasus nodded and galloped ahead.

The girls were getting anxious in their cell, waiting for the moment they would be reunited with their special someponies.

"Shouldn't he been back by now?" questioned Rainbow.

"Oh, I hope they weren't captured!" said Fluttershy.

"It's going to be okay, you'll see…" Applejack said.

"These last few days have been awful for all of us. Oh, I can't wait to be back in Fancy's arms!"

"I'm going to hug and squeeze my Cheesy! Because that's how much I missed him!"

"Wait…" Twilight ears perked up, "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Rarity asked.

"That!" This time, there was a huge clank outside the door.

Rainbow got in defense mode, "I heard it…"

Fluttershy whimpered as the sound got louder, and the other girls were on guard bracing for the impact.

The door clicked open and showed no pony was there. Suddenly, their chains were taken off, but then, out of the corner of the door, a pony popped up.

"Cheese!" Pinkie squealed with delight.

"Pinkie!" Cheese rushed to her and the two squeezed the life out of each other.

"But where's…" Rarity started, but she felt a tap on her shoulder. She saw him smiling at her and embraced him as he kissed her forehead, having their horns touch in love.

Rainbow was happy for her sisters, but she began to wonder about her own colt. Suddenly, her eyes were covered by hooves while a voice said, "Guess who?"

"Heh, cut the act. I know it's you, Soarin'…" she grabbed hold of him and kissed him full on the lips.

Fluttershy was starting to worry, but the next thing she knew, she was grabbed up by a pair of familiar strong arms holding on to her. She, in turn, held his neck very strongly while crying tears of elation in his fur.

She whispered, "I knew you would come…"

He, too, was crying in her mane, "Nothing could stop from being with you…"

Applejack was suddenly tackled by a purple blur. She looked at her back to see who it was. She smiled happily, "I figured you weren't far behind…"

"And I believe this belongs to you…" He took out her hat and when she sat up, he put it on her.

"You… you kept it? All this time?"

"It was the only thing that helped me through so I could see you again…"

She took hold of him and hugged him closely. He, in turn, hugged her tightly.

Twilight was getting confused. Already, her sisters had their beloveds, but hers was nowhere to be seen. Then it struck her and she smirked, "You can take off the cloak, Flash…"

On command, he revealed himself to her, smirking back, "I was wondering if you were going to notice…"

"Just get over here."

He walked over to her and the next thing he knew, he got a kiss on the cheek! He went red in the face.

After a few sweet moments of the lovers reuniting, Discord said, "As much as I love to stay here in enjoy this moment some more, we've got to get you girls out of here!"

"No kidding!" Rainbow flew to the door, "I don't plan on sticking around anymore!" Soarin' flew after her.

"Wait for us!" both Cheese and Pinkie said as they dashed out of there.

The others didn't waste a minute as they followed after the leaders.

The large group of twelve was careful as they made it into the hallways. The boys showed the girls the way to the entrance and it was within their sights. They were almost there; freedom was within their grasps. But as they made it to the opened doors, it shut on them just as they were about to get out.

A loud cackle filled the air as they turned back in terror to see the Changeling Queen floating above them with a majority of changelings by her side. She said to them with an evil grin, "Did you honestly think it would be that easy…?"

Author's Note:

We are almost done with this story! Just a few more chapters and it's over! I'm sad but relieved at the same time. Until then, I will keep writing up to the very end!