• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 4,402 Views, 69 Comments

The Sun Always Rises - jl7895



Sunset Shimmer is done with the students at CHS, but a young boy want to give her a second chance.

  • ...
11
 69
 4,402

Chapter 8: Date Night

Okay Sunset, you need to calm down. There’s nothing to worry about. You’re just about to go on a date with the first person who showed you genuine affection and probably likes you and you really like him too, so if you mess this up then you’re going to be alone forever. You know nothing big.

Ugh, why am I so nervous? This isn’t the biggest thing I’ve done. I should have been way more nervous at the Fall Formal and even more nervous the next day. But I didn’t care about other people then. I didn’t care if no one liked me because I needed them to fear me. Now, I care about Sky. I want Sky to think I’m perfect, even though I know that he knows I’m not. If I could, I would just start over with him, so he wouldn’t know about the demon thing. Why couldn’t this be simpler?

I told Rarity and Coco about my date and they offered to help me put an outfit together. I didn’t think I really needed to. I know what looks nice and what Sky would think looks good. But then Rarity made a big deal about looking perfect for the guy I lov- LIKE. For the guy I like. Either way, they knew how to play me and I accepted their offer.

Sky told me he was going to take me I then remembered that I only had one dress. It’s nothing special, just a red dress that goes a bit below my knees. Unfortunately, they took that into account and brought over a dozen dresses each. And their make-up. And their jewelry. And their hair care products and other things to style my hair. Great…

“What about this one?” I asked entering my guest room wearing the fourth dress. It was a flashy, blue, strapless dress with blue sequence on the side.

“I don’t think it fits her,” Coco said. “It looks a little too…revealing.”

“It’s not bad to show some skin on the first date, darling,” Rarity said with a smirk.

“Can I please take this off?” I asked. “I just don’t feel right in this one.”

“You’ve said that about every dress you’ve tried on,” Rarity said as she looked through the pile of dresses. “There has to be one of them you like. What about this one?”

It was a long black dress with long sleeves, which I didn’t like either. None of the dresses I’ve tried on are me. They’re not my style or something that feels right. Don’t get me wrong, I look good in them, but I just don’t think it would be something I would normally wear.

In Rarity and Coco’s defense, I don’t really think I know my style now. When I was trying to rule the school, I needed a tough persona, hence the leather jacket. I saw some pictures of bikers wearing them and they looked plenty tough. Now that I’m trying to make friends, I’ve hung up my old leather jacket, and I’m a little lost. Imagine completely changing your entire persona while trying to keep some of who you are.

“I don’t think any of these are me,” I said going through the dresses one by one.

“Maybe she’s just not a dress type of girl,” Coco said. “What if we put her in a nice blouse and skirt?”

“Wait,” I said as I came across a dress. It was a long, teal, single-strapped dress with a blue ribbon around the stomach. I pressed it against my body and looked in a mirror and thought something was missing.

“Try these,” Rarity said, holding a pair of teal teardrop clip-on earrings to my ears. It was almost perfect.

“We could put your hair up.” Coco said.

Perfect.

Rarity and Coco also seemed happy that I had finally chosen an outfit. I realized why when I looked at a clock and saw that we were trying to help pick an outfit for about three hours now.

“I’m sorry I took up so much of your time,” I said as they were styling my hair. “I know there are other things you would rather be doing than this.”

“Like what?” Coco asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe working on a fashion show or hanging out with your other friends.”

“You’re our friend too,” Coco said as she started tying up another strand of hair.

“I know, but I’m not the most interesting person in the world. What do I have going on besides going on this date?”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, darling,” Rarity said. “You are a former magical unicorn turned best friend. How are you not interesting? Besides, I like being around you. You give me hope.”

“Hope?” I asked.

“You have found someone who really likes you and I can tell there’s something special between you two. All I get are some ‘bros’ who treat me like a piece of meat. All they care about is my body and ignore the lady inside.”

“And I’m usually too shy to talk to anyone. Even if I do like someone, I’m always afraid that I’m going to do something wrong in the first five seconds of talking to a boy. Seeing you this confident and ready to put everything on the table for him makes me think I could do that too someday.”

“There,” Rarity said while taking a step back. “What do you think?”

“I love it,” I said looking into a mirror. As if on cue, the doorbell rang.

“You look stunning, darling,” Rarity said. “Now go on, you wouldn’t want to be late for your own date.”

I went downstairs, took in a deep breath, and opened the door. Sky was standing there wearing a suit with a dark red undershirt and a black tie to match. He looked at me and smiled a warm, gentle smile.

“Wow,” he finally said making me blush. “You look amazing.”

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” I said closing the door behind me.

Sky lead me to his car and opened the door for me. I realized what was playing on the radio and I needed fight every urge to sing along. I failed. I sang along to Maroon 5 under my breath just to make sure I didn’t completely embrace myself in front of Sky, but I think he heard.

“You don’t have to hide it,” he said as he started driving. “I made this for you.”

“What?” I asked.

“I asked your friends what kind of Music you like and I burned some on a CD for you. It’s yours to take. And you don’t have to sing under your breath. I’m sure you have a lovely singing voice.”

“I don’t know about that,” I said as I began to feel a blush.

“Let’s prove it.” Sky reached over and restarted the song. He began singing the opening to Sugar and encouraged me to join in.

I didn’t want to at first. This was my first date and I wanted it to go perfectly. No one remembering me as a demon or me doing something foolish, like singing off key. However, there was something about Sky I couldn’t shake. I felt like I could just be myself. I didn’t need to impress him or make him like me. There wasn’t any tricks or manipulation or lies. There was just us.

I started singing out loud this time and I found myself enjoying it. I felt like I was truly expressing myself for the first time in my life. I felt like I was exactly who I wanted to be, even if Sky was the only person to see it.

“That was beautiful,” Sky said when the song ended. “Why don’t you sing more?”

“I never thought I was good enough. There are so many people out there who are better than me, I just thought they would rather hear them instead of me.”

“Modeling, people person, and singing? You are triple threat Miss Shimmer.”

“Stop it,” I said with a giggle. “What about you? Have you thought about getting back into music?”

“Are you suggesting we become a duo that takes the world by storm?”

“No, I’m just thinking that you probably missed it. It’s been sometime since you and Flash were in a band together and that was the first time you’ve done anything musical around me.”

“I’ll have you know I’ve been writing songs. Operation: Friendship wasn’t just for you. I’ve been writing songs and I plan to give it to Flash in hopes it makes up for the notebook I lost.”

“How are you real?”

“What do you mean?”

“You were brave enough to save me, likeable to the point where everyone likes you, creative enough to get AK Yearling to come here, and kind enough to want to make things up with Flash. I’ve never even thought someone like you could exist.”

“Males aren’t always just hound dogs. Some of us really are good guys and just want to see people happy,” He said as he pulled up the restaurant.

Sky had picked out a classy five-star restaurant for dinner tonight. At first I wondered how he could afford a place like this, but then I remembered how much we could get for one bit. We could be the two richest people in this suburb.

The valet opened my door and I got out of Sky’s vintage car. I was wondering if he really was going to leave his pet project with a stranger who could crash it or crash something into it. I looked over at Sky and he seemed comfortable, so I guess it was fine.

The restaurant welcomed us with a red carpet and soothing music. Sky gave his name to the maitre d’ and he lead us to our seat. I noticed some people where either internationally or unintentionally looking at us and their draws dropped. It reminded me of when I was on the run way. Of course I didn’t like it when guys would treat me like a slab of meat, but I did like being treated as something greater.

“I have a question,” I said after we placed our drink orders. “Why did you stick with me?”

“What do you mean?”

“I was pretty much a lost cause. I used people, manipulated feelings, and tore friendships apart and all this time. I did unforgiveable things and you were still willing to save me? Why did you do it?”

“I’m a soldier and was ordered by Princess Celestia to make sure you were safe and help you return if you wanted to.”

“But you could have said I was fine with Princess Twilight’s friends and I didn’t want to come back. You could have been home with your friends and family and you decided to stay here with me.”

“I don’t know what you think my life was back in Equestria, but I didn’t have anypony. I was orphaned when I was never really close with my parents and didn’t get along with anypony back in the academy. Every night was always a dinner for one and then right to bed. This was kind of a new start for me.”

“Then why ask me out?”

“When you spend enough time with someone, you start to develop emotions for them. Granted, we didn’t actually spend time together, but you were always on my mind. At first it was just part of the job. I need to focus on you and start thinking like you. I guess I blurred the line between business and emotions.”

“So, you saved me on the bridge not because it was your duty, but because you liked me.”

“Like is a strong word…” It took me some time, but I realized I was smiling. “Okay, my turn. Why did you say ‘yes’?”

“You were the first person in this world that showed you cared.”

“Flash didn’t care about you?”

“He did, but I feel like I made him care about me. I wasn’t myself around him so I don’t know if he liked that me or the real me. You, however, saw every side of me. You saw me when I was a two-faced liar and destroyer of friendships. You saw me when I wanted to end it all and you brought me back. You didn’t run form me when everyone else did.”

“I’m touched,” he said with a smile.

The dinner itself was something I’ve never tasted before. Every bite was a different taste that played with my taste buds. Each meal was the best of its kind and nothing I eat could ever compare to it. And the desert. Oh my, the desert. I love anything sweet, but mostly chocolate. This chocolate was imported from Switzerland and kept at the perfect temperature to make sure it doesn’t melt. It’s then used to decorate several small cups of different flavored ice cream and served to us. I don’t think I’ll ever have anything as great again.

“That was incredible,” I said as we entered Sky’s car. “I think you might have just ruined food for me for the rest of my life.”

“I’m glad you liked it. Is there anything else you wanted to do?”

“I don’t know. A movie maybe?”

“Anything in particular you wanted to see? I’m fine with anything.”

“Just don’t pick an explosion fest.”

We saw a comedy-drama about some people making money because of the economic collapse. It was enjoyable, but I wasn’t really interested in the movie. A bit after the movie started, Sky grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. It was a bold move, but I didn’t expect any less from Sky. As far as I could tell, he was a bold person. I didn’t care. I kind of wanted him to do it. I never wanted this movie to end, so he would have to hold my hand for the rest of our lives.

Unfortunately the movie did end. While I was having the time of my life, I was starting to feel a little tired. Sky said he too was tired and decided to take me home. The car ride was anything but quiet. The two of us were joking around and laughing, but it was more than that to me. To me, it was someone showing how comfortable they are around me. Sky was showing me that he could stand to be around me for more than a couple hours and I wanted him around.

Sky pulled up to my house and he walked me to the door. I was smiling bigger than Pinkie ever could because tonight was perfect.

“I had a wonderful time,” I said as we reached our front door.

“I did too,” he said with a smile to match mine.

“So…I was thinking maybe we do this again some time. You know, like a…second date.”

“I would love that. Just name the time and I’ll be here. I’ll see you around.”

Sky turned around to walk back to his car. There was something I wanted to do for a while. All night Sky has been making bold moves and impressing me every time. Now, it’s my turn.

I called out to Sky before he was too far away. He turned back to me and I kissed him. He wasn’t expecting it at first, but he replied in kind. This was the greatest moment of the night. Time paused for a second so I could savor this moment. Here, the past didn’t matter and future looked bright. Here, I was with the person I loved.

When we pulled out lips apart, all I could do was smile. He told me that was the greatest moment of his life too and he promised to see me tomorrow.

I walked in my house with a skip in my step. Knowing Rarity, she would have stayed here and waited to hear every detail of the night and I just wanted to tell someone. I was actually in love. The best part was I didn’t have to manipulate or lie to him. I found someone who was just as in love with the real me as much as the me I pretended to be.

“Rarity, Coco,” I called out as I took off my shoes,” are you still here?”

“We’re up in your room,” she responded.

I walked up my stairs and started planning out what I was going to say. I needed to tell this story perfectly. I wanted the girls to feel like they were there. I wanted to share every detail of what just happened so I could relive it as well.

“I want to tell you everything that happened.”

“And I would love to hear it, darling. However, there is a surprise up here for you.”

“Surprise?” I asked as I opened the door to my room. “What could you possibly have that could-”

“Hi, Sunset,” a third girl said.

“Twilight?”

Author's Note:

Another chapter done. Sorry for the lack of updates. If you want to know what's been going on, then this blog post should bring you up to date.

I will be starting on the next chapter probably tomorrow because I feel bad for not cranking out content. For now, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and look forward to the next within a month. Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 5 )

D'awwww!

Kisses are my guilt pleasure. Knowing I'm gonna die alon-but enough of that, good chapter jl7895!

Oh you mother fuck. That goddamn cliffhanger tho.

haha i like it








stayclassy:moustache:

I love this story. I forgot about it and read it again from the beginning. I love it and I love the cliffhanger. I look forward to reading more.

Is a new chapter coming ?

Login or register to comment