• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 18,603 Views, 1,666 Comments

Batmare Beyond - Tatsurou



After hanging up his cape and cowl for good, Bruce Wayne finds himself adopting an infant Rarity.

  • ...
30
 1,666
 18,603

Natural Talent

Bruce was amazed at how fast Rarity developed. Before long she was speaking complete sentences, and only the fact that not all her teeth had come in kept her speech from being perfect. She also began tending to her own grooming and bathroom needs as soon as she had available facilities and tools that she could manipulate, although she was always happy to curl up in his lap and let him brush her mane, tail, or coat. She also seemed determined to go everywhere with him, constantly asking questions about anything and everything around her.

She also grew bored quite easily, and could frequently be found trying to force the secret passage to the Batcave, despite the fact Bruce had sealed it completely. Eventually, Bruce decided he needed to find some other way to capture her attention.

That was when he introduced her to computers.

Bruce had never really liked the increase in automation of the world around him, as more and more human effort slowly was replaced by more and more machine activity. As such, with the exception of the tech in the Batcave and the home security system, the only state of the art electronics in the manor was two personal computers - one his and one that had belonged to Alfred before his passing - and the holographic television. Nothing else in the manor had changed since he first donned the cape and cowl all those years ago. The stove was still gas.

So when Rarity had pestered him with questions about the computer while he was working on matters for Wayne Enterprises, he had pulled out Alfred's old model and handed it to her, telling her to have fun with it. She had let out a coo of pleasure and immediately began exploring all the functions on it, her telekinesis - which Bruce had first seen when she went to brush her own mane by levitating the brush - easily manipulating the keyboard and touch screen.

After a time, Bruce glanced over to see what she was playing with. He had expected her to be using one of the game programs, watching online videos, or possibly having found something amusing to read, since she didn't seem to have any problems with the written word. He had intended teaching her to read a few weeks ago to last longer, but she grasped it quite quickly.

What he did not expect now was for her to be browsing the stock market, with a text document open where she was analyzing the flow of the stocks and making pretend stock purchases.

He couldn't help but chuckle in amusement at that. After watching her at work for a time, he decided to speak up. "Rarity?"

Rarity looked up at him with a wide smile. "Yeth, Father?" she asked, wrinkling her muzzle as her as yet not grown in front tooth caused her to still lisp.

Bruce smiled. "You seem to be enjoying that," he pointed out.

"Oh, yeth," she replied eagerly. "It theemth a motht amuthing game, but it won't let me play." To demonstrate, she clicked on one of the stocks, only to get an alert of not having an account.

Bruce rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He hadn't expected her to think of it as a 'game', but teaching her the value of money and the economy had to start somewhere...and a 'game' was as good a place as any. "How about I set you up an account to play with?" he suggested. "See how well you do then?"

Rarity gasped happily. "Oh Father, would you?" she pleaded, fluttering her eyelashes at him. Even at this age, she seemed to instinctively know how to present herself to be the most appealing.

Bruce held out his hand. Eagerly, Rarity handed over the unit. After a bit of typing, he handed it back to her. "See this?" he pointed. "That's your username and password, and this is your account balance, and this is your portfolio value. See what you can do with it."

Rarity squealed happily. "Thank you, Father!" she said joyfully, immediately pulling the unit against her as she began to 'play'. Shaking his head, Bruce returned to his own work.

After a time, he went to the kitchen to start to plan dinner. On getting there, however, he discovered that he was short on a few things he needed to feed them both. He went back to check on the little filly. "Rarity," he called, "I need to go get some groceries. You okay here on your own for an hour?"

"I'm fine, Father!" Rarity called back, waving. "And I'm not alone. I have Aythe." True to her word, she was laying back against Ace's barrel, the canine curled around her as she braced the mobile PC between her hooves, manipulating the controls with telekinesis. The canine in question let out a resigned snort, ruffling Rarity's mane and making her giggle and squeal in frustration.

Smiling, Bruce nodded. "Alright. I'll be back soon." With that, he headed for the store.


Before long, Bruce returned home, his arms full of groceries. A brief glance into the foyer revealed that Rarity hadn't moved the entire time he was gone, her eyes still locked on the computer as she lay back against Ace. Deciding not to disturb her yet, he went to the kitchen and began to prepare dinner.

An hour and a half later, dinner was finished, and he brought the two dishes to the table. "Rarity," he called. "Time to turn that off."

"But Father!" Rarity whined. "I'm winning!"

Bruce blinked, unsure how he should interpret that. "Rarity, it's dinner time. You can play again another day."

"Yes, Father," Rarity called back, her voice mollified. She trotted happily into the dining room, climbing up the stairs to her seat at the table. She set her computer beside her place as she focused on her food, smiling as she saw that Bruce had made Eggplant Parmesan, one of her favorites.

Bruce glanced at the comp unit. "May I?" he asked, reaching for it. Her comment about 'winning' had piqued his curiosity.

"Go ahead," Rarity replied happily as Ace took up his usual spot kneeling beside her chair. Despite his excellent training, Ace, like any dog, still loved table scraps, and he knew he had better luck getting them at table from Rarity than from Bruce.

Bruce spun the unit around and activated the screen, calling up the stock market program...and stared. Rarity had, in the course of the two hours she'd been on the market and - apparently - using some programs Alfred had left on there from his days before his employment at Wayne Manor, set up three ghost accounts attached to her primary to distribute her purchases to avoid unduly influencing the market (save when she made purchases specifically to influence the market), and the 'total portfolio value' and 'total liquid assets' indicated that she had multiplied the initial deposit he'd given her to 'play' with by a factor of seven.

Regaining his composure, he turned back to the meal, looking at Rarity carefully as they both ate. Ever since she had first called him Father, he had been thinking about what that meant for him...what it meant if she were to be his daughter. He had been concerned that the pressures that could bring - to both of them - would be excessive, and possibly more than his weakened heart or her young mind could handle. But if she had such a natural talent and innate grasp of economics and market forces...

...perhaps it was time for 'Take Your Daughter To Work Day' after all.