• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 593 Views, 2 Comments

Love From Loneliness - Robobrony



How do you cope with loneliness when your in denial about not needing somepony in your life?

  • ...
 2
 593

Chapter 1

Love From Loneliness
Chapter 1

Love is a strange thing. We don’t choose who we fall in love with, it just happens. Love can be the greatest thing in the world, or it can make your heart ache terribly to the point you may never want to experience it again. Being alone can have interesting effects on a mind. If you find yourself isolated and alone, you tend to fantasize about the strangest of things whether you want to or not. The mind tends to play tricks on you just to cope with the loneliness. And even though, everyday, you tend to be surrounded by others, you can still feel like the loneliest pony in the world.

This is the story of an earth pony stallion who fell in love with a mirage. His name is Onyx. His coat was a dark brown with a grey mane and tail and a single sunflower growing out of a mound of dirt for a cutie mark. His eyes were brown as well. His special talent was growing flowers and tending to plants, thus his job was running a small flower shop. He wasn’t exactly a friendly pony, but he wasn’t rude to his customers either. Whenever a pony came in looking for flowers, he would just help them as any store owner would help a customer, minus the smile.

Onyx had no one in his life. He lived alone in his house in Hoofington near the edge of town. That was the way he liked it, or so he thought. Hoofington was just a small town like Ponyville where everypony there pretty much knew everypony else. Onyx tended to keep to himself and didn’t really interact with others. That’s just the way it was with him ever since he was left alone. Onyx had a normal foal hood, nothing special happened as he was growing up. Though his parents weren’t exactly always around; And when they were, they might as well have not been there. His mother and father ran a string of banks and brought in lots of bits.

Onyx was an only foal as well so he had no siblings to play with. Onyx tried making friends so he wouldn’t feel so alone, but he later found out they only wanted to play with him for all the cool stuff he had as a rich pony. They only wanted him for his money. Onyx broke off those friendships and tried again later in life. The same thing kept happening, ponies only wanted to be his friend for his money. Finally, after he was old enough to live on his own, he had pretty much given up on having friends and moved out to strike it on his own.

Onyx moved to Hoofington where he opened up his little shop and just lived life day by day. No friends, no mare friends, just him and his lonely self. He didn’t even have a pet. Today was no different for Onyx as he tended to his flowers and helped a customer that came in every now and then. They were usually buying flowers for decorations for their houses or getting a bouquet for a date. There was one particular busy month he hated the most really. Not because of how busy it made him; on the contrary, it was the richest time of the month for him. He hated this time of the month because it was when a certain holiday was coming around he didn’t care much for.

It was a holiday that only reminded him of the broken hearts he suffered through growing up. Whenever he tried for a marefriend, he would later find out she was only interested in him for the money he had, or some other richer pony came around and won her over, leaving him alone. Hearts and Hooves day was just a reminder of broken hearts from the past to him and he didn’t like it much. Onyx’s attitude only got worse as the day drew closer, however he did his best to hide it for the sake of his shop.

After a long day of working, it was finally time for him to close up shop and head home. Onyx put the close sign on his shop’s door up and began cleaning up the store for any stray leaves or petals. Once he finished, he put on his saddle bag and collected the bits he earned for the day. Onyx left his shop and headed on through town. Along the way, he kept spotting couples together talking and smiling or just laughing. Sometimes just looking at each other. It made him sick, as he scowled. “Pfft, love, give me a break.” He said to himself in a gruff tone. “Who needs it. I’m fine all on my own.” He said to himself. “I don’t need anypony in my life. I’m perfectly happy with how things are.” Though Onyx said those words, he couldn’t help but linger on one couple in particular.

The stallion had produced a hoof ring to his marefriend and she shed tears of joy as she hugged him and shouted yes. Onyx closed his eyes and faced forward again as he hung his head. “I don’t need anypony.” He thought to himself. “I don’t…I don’t…I…I…”

Onyx gave a heavy sigh. “*Sigh* what does it matter anyway. There’s no pony out there for me.” Onyx continued on. Before heading straight for home, there was a flea market in town he wanted to look at. Another of his hobbies was going to the flea market to see what kind of exotic or interesting items he might be able to find for his home. Onyx strolled through the crowds and stalls, the sound of the lively place filled his ears as merchants called out to the crowd to get their attention. Tents lined the streets and many different smells filled the air.

“Come one, come all, many items for sale!” One merchant called.

“Exotic foods from far off lands, see what your taste buds have been missing!” Another called.

“I have many charms, good luck charms, charms for good health, charms for love!” That one caught Onyx’s attention. He paused a moment, looked to the side at the merchant and merely gave it a passing thought. He gave a snort and started on his way. “Wait, good sir, I saw that look, you’re intrigued aren’t you?” The merchant asked. He was a skinny looking stallion with a light sandy coat and green mane and tail. He wore a rather colorful robe and a cylindrical hat to match.

Onyx stopped and looked to the merchant. “No, I’m not.” Onyx stated.

“Ooh, you can’t fool me, the love charms are what got you, yes?” The merchant asked. “I have many charms, some rather common, some very rare and powerful. The love charms I have are sure to ensure you and your marefriend are happy.”

“I don’t have a marefriend.” Onyx said with annoyance in his tone. “Nor do I need one, I’m perfectly happy being by myself. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to get home.”

“Perhaps I can interest you in a very special charm guaranteed to help you find that special somepony then?” The merchant said.

Onyx thought a moment. Conflicting thoughts raced through his head. Should he even believe this merchant? No, he doesn’t need some charm to help him get a marefriend. He doesn’t need one. Every mare he met was no good. Still, if this charm could work, could it help him meet that special somepony who likes him for who he is? Onyx slowly turned to face the merchant fully after a moment. “Are you sure this….charm of yours will work?” Onyx found himself asking.

“My friend, this charm I wish to show you is a rare one indeed. Have a look.” The merchant reached down under his table and pulled out a necklace. It was made of silver and shined in the light. The chain held a five pointed star with a small heart at it’s center. “This, my friend is a legendary love charm made by a young unicorn prince from a far off land who only sought out that special somepony for himself. He made two of them and sent one out into the world in hopes of finding that special mare for himself. It worked for him and thus he shared how he made it. But because of how difficult it was, only a few were made. Each were made in sets of two with a special connection to them. It is said, that if a pony were to come across one, and another come across its twin and they were of opposite sex…or were indeed made for each other…” He paused at that part to let the idea sink in. “then the two would guide the ponies to one another and they would live happy lives.”

Onyx stared at the charm for a while as he thought. “Could this really work for me then? Pfft, yeah right, it was a nice story and all, but that’s all it was, just a story. No way that thing will work…..would it?” Onyx thought it over. “You know, it’s a nice necklace and all, but I doubt it can do what you say. Still, I think I’ll at least take it, just because I think it looks nice.”

“Splendid my friend, splendid. That will be thirty bits.” The merchant said with a smile.

Onyx brought out the thirty bits and paid the merchant. The merchant hoofed over the necklace to Onyx who put it in his saddle bag and went on his way.

Onyx arrived home and entered his house. It wasn’t anything special, just a white house with straw roof just like the rest of the houses around town. Inside, Onyx had a brown couch with a wooden coffee table and a round dark red and green rug under it. A kitchen in the back, stairs to the second floor where his bedroom was and bathroom. Onyx placed his saddle bags on the coffee table and went for the newspaper sitting on it. He made himself comfortable and went through it for a while till it was bed time. “Let’s see here, anything interesting occur?” Onyx opened the paper. “Hmm, new princess of Equestria crowned. Twilight Sparkle, once proud student of Princess Celestia has been made alicorn princess.” Onyx read out loud.

“Pfft, great, a new princess. As if three wasn’t enough.” Onyx scoffed. He shuffled the papers and read on. “Rarity unleashes new line of dresses and suits, Applejack has big sale at farm, yadda yadda yadda.” Most of the first few articles were about the six ponies known as the bearers of the elements of harmony. “Tch, maybe one of them is meant to be my special somepony.” He joked. Celestia’s sun began to set and colored the sky in an orange glow. Onyx looked out the window just in time to see the sun setting behind the hills off in the distance. He set the paper down, got up, and stretched out all four hooves with a yawn. He cracked his back and grabbed his bags.

Onyx headed up stairs to his room and tossed his saddlebags in his closet. Before He went through his usual routine to get ready for bed, he turned on the lamp on his bed’s dresser, he then showered, brushed teeth, and flossed. He turned the bathroom light off and exited. Onyx sat on the edge of his bed and was about to turn the light off when a shine caught his eye. He looked to the closet and saw the necklace he just purchased hanging out of his bag. It was reflecting some of the light from the lamp.

Onyx gave a curious look. He got up, walked over to his bag and picked up the necklace. He simply looked at it for a moment. “Love charm huh? Yeah right.” Onyx turned and walked back to his bed. He set the necklace on the dresser, turned the light off, and climbed under his sheets. Onyx rested on his side facing the dresser and closed his eyes. A few moments later, Onyx could swear he felt something just as he was about to fall asleep. It felt like there was something resting on his shoulder. “Hmm, what the?” He quickly sat up and looked to his side to see what was there. When he did, the feeling was gone right away and he saw nothing in his bed. “Weird.” Onyx shrugged it off and lay back down.

A few moments later, just as he felt he was about to fall asleep, he felt it again. He quickly sat up again to look and again, nothing there. “What the hay? Ugh, whatever.” Onyx lay back down on his side and tried to sleep again. Again, just as he felt he was about to fall asleep, he felt like something was lying across his shoulder. This time, he simply looked without getting up and saw a shadowed hoof lying over his shoulder. “Wh….who’s there?” He asked, feeling a slight tinge of fear. No answer came. He slowly reached a shaky hoof up to the hoof over his shoulder. Just as he was about to touch it, it vanished.

Onyx sat up again and looked. Again, still an empty bed other than himself in it. “What the hay was that?” He asked himself. He placed a hoof to his head with a worried expression and shook it. “Am I going crazy? I know I saw something.” After a bit of thought, he let it go and lay back down on his side. For the fourth time, just as he was about to fall asleep, he felt the hoof over his shoulder again. Onyx only widened his eyes. He just looked up at it without moving. “Hello?” He asked. “Who are you? Wh..what do you want?”

A feminine soft silky voice answered back. “Are you lonely?” It asked.

“What?” Onyx asked back. This time, the hoof disappeared on its own. Onyx sat up slowly this time and looked to where he could swear some pony was there. Still nothing was seen. Hesitantly, Onyx lay back down again, hoping to get some sleep and forget whatever it was that just happened. This time, the hoof did not return and Onyx was able to sleep.

Author's Note:

I know what you're all thinking. 'Another story when you already have so many others to work on?' What can I say? This was an idea I had that I just had to get out there. I hope you all enjoy it like you have my other fics. Be sure to leave comments below and let me know what you think.