• Published 22nd Oct 2015
  • 7,562 Views, 329 Comments

The Last Something Sweet to Bite - Knackerman



The third and final story in the Something Sweet to Bite series.

  • ...
13
 329
 7,562

Research

As her senses slowly came back to her, Sunny became aware of a low sonorous murmuring. There was something wrong with her ears. She understood what she was hearing were words but they lacked context or meaning, as if she was hearing them under water. "As with prior subjects there are no signs of damaged external tissue. I hypothesis that if there was any external exposure within the last two months, dermal vascular collapse would be observable."

Slowly, Sunset Shimmer opened her eyes to what seemed to be an impossibly bright light glaring down on her. She shaded her eyes with one hand as her vision adjusted to the harsh light. Gradually, she began the painful process of sitting up. Her muscles protested, setting off a series of cramps that made her almost double over in pain. The ache in her side where the taser had been pressed wasn't as bad as she thought it would be, comparatively, but it still hurt all the same. In truth, the cramps were probably just a product of dehydration. She was so thirsty... how long had she been knocked out?

"Subject has yet to exhibit signs of gastrointestinal distress, however this may not be due to a lack of exposure but rather a natural resistance to ionization. The implications of which I can only begin to speculate about..." There was a click, and the sound of an old tape deck rewinding. "Ugh, I filled another one! Why do I always get stuck with the oldest equipment?"

Sunset could see blearily through the door of a cage that was set in front of her. A girl in a lab coat, about the same age as her classmates, stomped into view with a handheld recording device. It was Twilight Sparkle. The realization brought back Sunset's memory of the last thing she'd seen before however many volts had caused her to black out. The hair was a little different, and the lab coat and glasses were certainly new, but there was no mistaking that this girl was indeed Twilight.

What exactly was going on? Sunset was suddenly distracted by a drafty sensation. She had been lying prone on what appeared to be a hospital bed. The drafty sensation was because she was wearing a backless hospital gown. If someone had taken her cloths, that would mean they had taken her cell phone that Principal Celestia had given her in case of emergencies. To her mind, this certainly seemed like it might be an emergency, but she was still groggy. Even so, she quickly realized which side of the cage she was on, and she was pretty sure most hospitals didn't put their patients in cages. "Twilight? What's going on?"

"Oh my gosh, she's awake!" squeed Twilight with far too much enthusiasm to be reassuring. "I've got so many questions! How long have you had your eyes on Canterlot? Is this the first city on Earth that you've invaded? Are there other forces infiltrating other cities or is this just a scouting mission? Do you come in peace? Oh, and how do you know my name? I assume it's the result of some kind of telepathy, but I didn't detect anything abnormal in your brain waves. Oh, and I just wanted to let you know what a fine job I think you've done on replicating a human body! You wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all if it wasn't for the background radiation."

"Whoa... whoa, just slow down," said Sunset holding up her hands. "I'm just... I need a moment to think. Where exactly are we?"

"I'm not surprised you have questions of your own," replied Twilight adjusting her glasses, "We're in a lab at Crystal Preparatory School. I'm sorry for the less than state of the art accommodations, but you can blame that on Principal Sombra." A few of the buttons on the recording device Twilight was holding suddenly fell off, "Along with every other outdated piece of junk in here!" Sunset Shimmer winced. Twilight smiled sheepishly, composing herself with a nervous laugh, "Sorry, sorry, you probably have a headache from the sedatives. There's a plastic cup of water on the table next to you. You should have a drink. Your kind drinks water, don't you?"

"My kind?" asked Sunny, still not a hundred percent what was going on. Despite her thirst, she left the water where it was.

"Aliens, right? Or whatever you call yourselves. That's another question I was wanting to ask you," replied the girl who, it was becoming more obvious, was and was not Twilight. She put down the recording devices and instead picked up a clipboard and pen. "Along with whether or not you're aware that the radiation your race seems to emit appears to be harmful to this planets native life forms?"

She saw how Twilight held the pen perfectly poised over the clipboard in her left hand, unconsciously, without a hint of effort. The last time she had seen Twilight Sparkle, her friend could barely hold a pen in her fingers, and instead often opted to try writing with her mouth when she thought no one else was looking. Holding a pen the way she did now was something Sunset herself had taken months to master. She felt her heart drop into the pit of her stomach as realization dawned. This wasn't Princess Twilight Sparkle. This Twilight belonged to this world and she thought that Sunset was some kind of alien invader! "Hold on, why do you think I'm an alien? I'm just a n-normal high school girl!"

"Student 'Sunset Shimmer', presumed to be an assumed name," said the other Twilight as she flipped through the pages on her clipboard. "No known records prior to enrollment in the Canterlot school system. No dental records, no birth certificate, no criminal record to speak of, but also no known address or any known relations. You quite literally appear to have popped out of thin air about five years ago, which I guess would be a point in your favor of not being a sophisticated alien invader, given there's been no attempt at fabricating any kind of background. I find it more likely that it's just you, or your superiors, being sloppy." Twilight's glasses reflected a flash of light, hiding her eyes, as she let the sheaf of papers drop back into place. "Face it, you haven't exactly done a very good job hiding the fact you're not from this world, especially with the periodic energy anomalies radiating from Canterlot High. Any amateur with a Seismograph and a Geiger counter would be able to tell that something wasn't quite right at that school," the Researcher Twilight brought the tip of her pen to her lip as she mused thoughtfully, "Then there's your reputation, always seemingly at the center of a whirl of rumors. I don't actually believe in supernatural powers myself, but is it true you assumed a demonic form in front of the students of CHS?"

Sunset tried to control her breathing, but her brow had broken out in a cold sweat, "That was just a figure of speech! And none of the rest of that stuff you said is proof I'm some kind of alien! I'm just a very... a very private girl!"

Twilight tapped the tip of her pen against her lower lip, "I suppose that is possible. It's perhaps the simplest explanation, but would a private girl have the kind of reputation you have? It's also possible you could be in some kind of witness protection program. But if that was the case, wouldn't you be trying to keep a lower profile? And then there's this..." Sunset Shimmers heart sank even further as this doppelganger of her friend lifted Sunset's journal into view. It was glowing and vibrating ever so slightly, indicating a magical message was waiting to be read. "It's an ingenious camouflage, designing a communication device as something as prosaic as a book. I assume this has a direct link to your leader? It was wise of you to use code words like 'pegasus' and 'unicorn' in your correspondence, but the constant insertion of the word 'pony' into words makes things a little hard to follow. Does 'everypony' reference your own people, or is that just a general phrase for everyone? Also, you do now that in human mythology there was only ever one Pegasus, right? It was a winged horses name, not his species. Mythology isn't my forte, and even I know that. I suppose that might be confusing to an alien invader though."

She didn't know what else to do, so Sunset simply put her face in her hands as Twilight continued to rattle off her conspiracy theories about 'aliens' and government cover ups. Without her cell phone she didn't have any means of contacting any of her friends or even so much as calling for help. The message from Twilight, Princess Twilight not this 'Researcher' Twilight, wouldn't wait for long. Though the messages were meant to be read, for secrecy's sake, any new messages would erase itself if the book was unattended for too long. The fact the book was still glowing meant that regardless of what else this Twilight had read in the book, she hadn't read the message from Princess Twilight.

At least, not yet.

There was only one course of action that Sunset Shimmer could think of. After all, this was still essentially Twilight, right? "Okay. Okay you've caught me. You're right, I'm not from this world. But neither am I an alien invader from outer space or whatever," corrected Sunny, wagging a finger as if to correct a wayward student. "You humans are far too fascinated by that concept. If you'll give me the book, I'll tell you everything you want to know."

Twilight seemed to consider this, and was about to hand over the book before she thought better of it, pulling it away from the cages bars. "How about you tell me what's going on first, and then I give you the book?"

This was getting her nowhere. What choice did Sunset really have? "Okay, but don't interrupt. There are a few things you may have a hard time believing, but I promise you, they are all true."
----------------------------

Sunset told her everything.

Well almost everything. She may have left out a few unflattering details, such as her plotting to enslave the students of CHS in order to take over Equestria, but she gave her the broad brush strokes of her story.

"So you're not an alien from another planet," spoke Twilight, as if trying out the words in her mouth as some unsavory but unidentifiable morsel of food. "Instead you are a unicorn from a parallel dimension. Not only that, but your dimension has used ours as a dumping ground for some of your more fearsome and uncontrollable entities that are more or less powerless here. Except, since you brought one of what you call the 'Elements of Harmony' through from your world, magic has appeared to grow here. So since then, those evil entities you spoke of have sought to use it to take over our world. So now it's just you and your teen aged friends, using the power of friendship, who stand between us and slavery or worse?" Twilight paused and looked back over what she had written down on her clipboard. She then promptly tossed it aside. "And I'm meant to find this more believable than you being an incredibly inept alien?"

"Believe it or not, it's the truth. I know it's not what you expected, but I swear it's how things are. If you'll just give me my journal I can show you!" pleaded Sunset.

"I suppose. But just remember, if you vaporize me no one else knows you're in here. It might be awhile before anyone comes along that you can persuade to let you out" said Twilight handing over the glowing volume. As Sunset placed her hand on the book, the glow ceased. She hurriedly opened the journal, a milkbone that had been apparently used as a bookmark falling to the floor as she did. Like magic, words began to appear on the page.
-----------

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

I regret to inform you that Princess Twilight Sparkle is out of town. Never fear, however, as you've got a dragon on your side! I'm afraid the Shady Oaks library was destroyed recently and we're still organizing the new castles library. I was able to find a book titled 'Ye Olde Tricks and Treats', however, that sounded like what you had in mind. There's some pretty creepy stuff in here, but I transcribed the parts that I think will be most relevant to your query. Tell Rarity I said 'hi', and thanks for the dog treats!

Your Friend,
Spike T. Dragon

P.S. (Don't let Twilight know I'm still eating those.)
------------

"See!" said Sunset triumphantly.

"See what? You received a communication to your alien device from your home planet, or dimension, or whatever. That doesn't prove the existence of magic. Any sufficiently advanced technology could be perceived as magic and this book of yours is no exception. Although," paused Twilight thoughtfully, "If this 'magic' of yours is the energy I've been detecting radiating from CHS it could explain why it's so anomalous. The only radiation I know of that possesses both ionizing and non-ionizing properties is ultraviolet light, but there have been no bursts in that spectrum I've been able to detect so far. I assumed this unidentified energy was just a side effect of your technology, like radioactive fallout. But if this 'magic' is as potent as you describe it could fit the criteria of my thesis."

"Your thesis?" asked Sunset perplexed. What was this girl going on about now? She was too busy reading the transcripts Spike had sent her to really pay too much attention to her nonsense.

"About the student pandemic," continued Twilight Sparkle matter-of-factly. "So far, it seems the staff at Canterlot High haven't been able to identify any virus or bacteria that could be the cause, however the symptoms are in line with acute radiation syndrome... Specifically of the gastrointestinal region. If the students have been ingesting food that has been contaminated by this 'magic' of yours, it could go some ways to explaining their condition. I just don't know why this would be happening now if you've been here for as long as our records indicate. The 'Magic of Friendship', as you call it, should have caused symptoms to appear a few weeks after your arrival in our world, not years, regardless of where you come from."

"Ingested. You mean like eaten?" asked the fiery haired teenager, getting up from her hospital bed, book clutched tightly in her hands. "Do you have proof?"

"Well, no, not really. It's difficult to scan soft tissues without doing a full MRI. I doubt the school board would be willing to pay for me to use such a device, let alone operate it for my own research." She prodded her two index fingers together and looked down in acute consternation, "It's not like I've really had access to any of the students either... although if I did, there is one way," replied the researcher smiling as she picked up a scalpel on a nearby tray. "There's always vivisection."

"Vivisection? You mean cut one of them open while they're still alive?" asked Sunset meekly. "Isn't that illegal?"

"Not exactly, so long as the patient consents. Although it is a risky procedure. Anytime you use anesthesia there's a risk of death. Any kind of live dissection would be impossible without it, however." added Twilight. "I was planning on analyzing your soft tissue, but no one would clear my use of the drugs unless I explained what specifically I would be using them for," she gave a heavy sigh and set down the bladed instrument and said sadly, "So much for my 'alien' autopsy."

"You were going to cut me open!?" cried Sunset in astonishment.

"Only a little," replied Researcher Twilight blushing. "And only to find out what was causing the sickness at CHS," then she whispered to herself "And since I thought you might be an alien maybe to keep a few slides for further study later..."

"Well that explains the hospital gown at least," muttered Sunset to herself. She was glad that this Twilight wasn't just some kind of pervert. "How about you give me back my cloths and I'll just leave you to your studies? No one needs to know about this... misunderstanding, and we can just go our separate ways."

Twilight shook her head, "No, I don't think so. The new data you've presented to me still needs to be verified, analyzed, and calibrated with my existing hypothesis. If you are a unicorn in human form, and not an alien, you're still a rare and valuable specimen. If it turns out you're just some deluded teen-aged girl, I don't want you running to the authorities as soon as you leave here either. For better or worse, I'm afraid we're stuck with each other for the time being." The lab coated girl cupped her hand to the side of her mouth and called out, "Spike! Spike, here boy!"

A purple and green puppy bounded into the lab, kicking up stray pieces of paper as he slid across the smooth tiled floor. He seemed to grin up at the Twilight Sparkle look alike, and begged for head pats. The affection was quick in coming, but Twilight quickly straightened herself back up, realizing she was allowing herself to fawn over her pet assistant in front of her 'specimen'. "*Ahem* listen Spike. I've got work to do, so you keep an eye on her until I get back, got it?" The dog barked excitedly, either in affirmation or simply because its master was talking to it. "Good boy." Then to Sunset she said. "Don't worry though. This shouldn't take more than a few hours. Then we can talk all about your friends and how they've reacted to this 'magic' of yours over the years."

As Twilight left, Sunset Shimmer smiled at Spike. So this was her idea of security huh? Once she was sure Twilight was out of earshot Sunset called out musically, "Oh Spiiike~" The dog began to growl. "Now is that any way to react to your friend?" she asked, dangling the milk bone that had so recently smeared the pages of her journal just out of reach of the purple dogs nose. His entire demeanor changed instantly as he began to beg for the treat.

This was going to be easy.