• Published 22nd Oct 2015
  • 7,537 Views, 327 Comments

The Last Something Sweet to Bite - Knackerman



The third and final story in the Something Sweet to Bite series.

  • ...
13
 327
 7,537

Food for Thought

"Well darlin', should we mosey over to Rainbow Dash's house, or do ya figure she might still be around the school?" asked Applejack, once they had split off from Pinkie Pie and Rarity.

"I'm not really sure," said Fluttershy uncertainly. "I know that normally around this time of day she'd be on the soccer field practicing. But considering how she's been lately, especially with the Fall Formal this weekend I doubt she'll be there. Even though she hasn't been following her normal routine, I don't think she would've gone home yet. She's been too busy to hang out with me after school like we usually would, and she hasn't been home whenever I've gone over to see if she wants to study together."

"So you reckon she's probably busy doin' something here at the school then, huh?" Applejack put a hand to her chin thoughtfully, "Ah suppose we need to take into account that she might be detained by the administrators, like Sunset suggested. Ah can't really see them keepin' a hold of her fer long without her kickin' up a fuss though. You know more than anyone else how that girl is for stirring up trouble."

Fluttershy giggled pleasantly, "That's true. It seems like she's been in the middle of one thing or another ever since we met at camp. She never was one to bow down to authority when she thought something was unfair."

"That settles it then," responded AJ pounding a fist into the palm of her hand for emphasis. "We'll check over the school before we head out. If Rainbow Dash really is in the middle of this, ain't no way that hard headed gal would just wander off and let it go."

They headed for the main entrance and walked back inside. It felt strange walking into the school this late in the day, as if just being here was somehow illicit. Most of the elective and activity groups had already gone home, and any of the sports teams that trained in the afternoon were already out in the fields practicing. The halls were eerily quiet, and most of the lights were already off for the night. Even the teachers had already managed to head home since it was a Friday, so the classrooms stood vacant.

Applejack and Fluttershy passed dark, empty rooms where the chalk phantoms of math problems and lesson plans haunted unattended blackboards. Those classrooms that weren't already locked in darkness instead were transformed by the late afternoon sun slanting strangely through their windows. Everything were suffused with a riot of orange and ruddy light, making these classrooms appear as though they were awash in flames. Fluttershy found all this quite unnerving as they walked down silent halls that had so recently been full of life and activity. Just as she was going to suggest that perhaps Rainbow Dash would've gone home after all, someone suddenly darted across the hallway further ahead. Was it someone familiar? "Was that her?" asked Fluttershy anxiously.

"Ah don't think so sugercube, Ah think that was someone else," replied Applejack, her eyes narrowing below the brim of her hat. "But Ah think Ah know who it was. Come on Fluttershy, she's heading towards the cafeteria!" Her companion broke into a gallop, completely disregarding the rules about no running in the halls.

Fluttershy hoped that there were no Hall Monitors as she hurried to catch up to the fleet footed country girl. Panting hard as she drew level with Applejack, she gasped "Why...why are we... running!?"

They burst through the cafeteria doors. The room seemed huge with all the chairs stacked and the the tables pushed against the far wall. Disinfectant and cleansers scented the air, just barely covering the ghosts of lunches past. A cloud of steam hung over the serving line towards the back of the cafeteria as the lunch room staff busied themselves cleaning everything down for the weekend before they went home.

Of the person Applejack had run so hard to catch, there was no sign. Making their way across the squeaky clean room, smiling sheepishly at the janitor who glared at their feet as they scuffed over the recently waxed floor, they approached the serving line. Granny Smith was there, apparently going over inventory before she went home. "Well howdy do there Applejack, didn't figure on you visitin' yer old Granny today. Ah figured you youngin's would be back home practisin' that catterwallin y'all call music," she said with a toothy grin, her dentures shining.

"Howdy Granny, and no," she responded somewhat embarrassed of her guardian, "We ain't goin' to be practicin' today. Actually we were wonderin' if maybe you had seen someone come in here just now? Maybe someone who didn't belong?"

Granny Smith raised the eraser tip of her pencil to her chin and looked thoughtful. "No... no I don't rightly recollect Ah've seen anybody that don't belong. Was there somebody in particular y'all had in mind?"

"Well, um, what about Rainbow Dash?" asked Fluttershy twirling a strand of her fair hair around one finger unconsciously. "We were actually looking for her. That's why we stayed after school."

"Rainbow Dash ya say?" mused Granny thoughtfully. "Can't say Ah've seen that little firecracker all day. Course mah memory ain't quite what it used to be. Was she here at lunch?"

"Ah don't think so Granny," replied Applejack. "Would ya mind too much if we came back there and sort of had a poke around? Ah know it's silly, but Ah'd feel a whole lot better if'n we did."

"Well sure, suit yourselves," answered Granny smiling again, apparently overjoyed that her granddaughter was interested in her work. "But don't you go getting into none of the treats for the Fall Formal early, ya hear?" she said shaking her pencil at the pair, as if reprimanding them already. "Ah don't want none of them shenanigans like we had that one time ya brought Pinkie Pie back here ta help. Ended up having to call in professional caterers at the last minute that year. Vice Principal Luna was fit to be tied!" this last bit, said with a wink and a nudge to Fluttershy, had apparently been included for the timid gals benefit. Fluttershy tried but failed to suppress a smile. Granny Smith was just that kind of person, able to make even the most timid students feel at ease.

"No worries Granny," said AJ rolling her eyes, "We just want a peek and then we'll skedaddle." She lifted the partition that normally separated the students from the staff and motioned her friend to follow. Granny Smith only smiled and went back to going over her paperwork.

The kitchens were large, though obviously not nearly as large as the dining hall. Sinks and counter tops not only lined the walls but stood sparkling and ready for use in rows in the middle of the kitchen as well. Steam hung heavy here, as did the scent of dish washing liquid. Everything seemed to float in a lemony haze. A few suds of bygone bubbles clung to the drains here and there, especially the ones that were set in the floor. The many ovens and stove tops were cool and the various pans and cutlery seemed to have already been put away for the day. Even so, the nervous by nature Fluttershy flinched a bit as she laid her eyes on a particularly large meat cleaver that had been left out for sharpening. Fluttershy was a vegetarian and a lover of animals, and she didn't want to think of what that terrible heavy blade did on a daily basis. She hoped, though even she thought vainly, that the red stains were just from chopping tomatoes.

So engrossed in her own thoughts was Fluttershy that she almost jumped out of her skin when Applejack put her hand in front of her in a silent gesture to stop. She nearly screamed, but clamped both hands over her mouth quickly so that all that managed to escape was a tiny squeak. Applejack put her finger to her mouth, indicating that she was to remain silent, before motioning her friend to follow. They moved more slowly now, cautiously. Fluttershy could hear, just ahead, the sound of pots and pans banging together and the clinking of utensils. Back here was where one could find the walk in freezers. The heavy metal doors, set starkly into the walls, were intimidating all on there own. That one of them was open, the cold air from inside spilling out in a dense fog that rolled across the floor, added a whole other layer of foreboding to the scene. It seemed the lighting in the freezer was broken, and whatever was within those shadowed depths was hidden from sight. Even so, its was plain something stirred inside those frigid depths.

Someone was in there!

Without any warning, Applejack darted inside. There were sounds of a struggle. Fluttershy was about to call for help when the rough and tumble cowgirl stumbled back into the light, dragging someone else with her. She pinned the other persons arms to their sides, and hauled them bodily into the light. Fluttershy recognized the other girl immediately, "Sonata! What are you doing here?"

One third of the Dazzlings struggled to break Applejack's grip, but it was clear the country girl was much stronger than she was. Try as she might, there was no way that she would be slipping away. "I don't have to tell you anything!" Sonata cried as she squirmed in vain.

"Check her pockets Fluttershy," order Applejack. "If she won't talk, maybe there's some clue in there."

Fluttershy didn't really want to but, despite her apprehension, she obeyed. Most of what was inside the pockets of the girls skirt were used tissues and expired coupons for tacos at various restaurants around town. The only other thing was a small plastic baggy of what looked like candy.

"Hey, that's not yours!" Sonata shouted. "Give that back!"

"We will, just as soon as you tell us what yer doin' here!" yelled Applejack, tightening her grip as the siren struggled afresh to break free. "You ain't supposed to be back here."

"Yes I am!" cred Sonata tearfully.

"Yes she is," said a firm voice from the foggy kitchen firmly. "Let her go Applejack, or so help me Ah don't care how old ya are, ya ain't too old ta get a whoopin' from yer Granny!" shouted Granny Smith as she came forward with a rolling pin.

"But Granny, she's one of the Dazzlings!" replied AJ dumbfounded as she let Sonata go. The blue haired girl stuck out her tongue after she smoothed down her cloths. "She's one of the girls that tried to take over the school!"

"Don't ya think Ah know that? Ah ain't that addle brained yet!" Granny Smith laid a hand on Sonata's shoulder. "But she's still just a gal, and every gals gotta eat. You really expect me to sit by while these youngins scramble for scraps from the dumpsters out back? Them other girls are trouble, but this one here Ah let have the leftovers from y'alls lunches. If you picky eaters ain't gonna eat everything Ah cooks fer ya, it might as well go to those in need!"

"Sorry Granny Smith," said Fluttershy. "We didn't know. We won't bother Sonata anymore, right Applejack?"

There was a pause before her friend grudgingly replied, "Right. Ah guess..."

"See that you don't," Granny Smith pointed her rolling pin for emphasis. "Now you all clear out of here. That goes for you too Miss Sonata. A'fore the lot of ya get in trouble fer being in a staff only area after school."

"Yes ma'am." They all replied and hung their heads low. Granny Smith put her hands on her hips and shook her head, before heading back the way she had come.

"Are ya really just here for leftovers?" asked Applejack suspiciously.

"Like I said, that's none of your bees wax," said Sonata balling her own tiny fists and putting them on her hips. She turned to Fluttershy and extended her hand, palm up, "Now give me back my stuff!"

"Wait just a minute sugar cube. What's that ya got there in the bag?" Applejack snatched the bag from Fluttershy before Sonata could retrieve it. She studied the contents carefully, dangling it out of reach of Sonata as she tried to snatch it away. "This here don't look like any candy Ah ever done seen. If'n yer so hungry and ya got this, why not just eat this instead of coming to the cafeteria for scraps?"

There were actual tears at the corner of Sonata's eyes, "I already told you that's none of your business! Just give it back!"

"Let her have it back Applejack," said Fluttershy, a sternness entering her voice that even she had never heard before. "It doesn't belong to us."

"Ah don't think that would be wise Fluttershy. We ought to take this back to Sunset," replied Applejack as she untwisted the knot in the plastic bag. "This might have somethin' to do with that candy horse she mentioned earlier."

Just as Applejack opened the bag for a closer look, something strange happened. The candy shifted and it started to move! Something jumped out of the bag. No, the candy itself jumped out of the bag, and plastered itself against Applejack's face! Long spiny legs rose from the sugary substance and spread through her blond hair to grip the back of her head. The whole mass covered her nose and mouth completely, leaving only her shocked eyes exposed. She fell back, banging her head on the freezer door. As she fell, a second candy creature sprung to life from inside the bag.

Sonata covered her mouth, her eyes wide with horror as the spidery candy creature skittered across the floor towards Fluttershy. Too horrified even to scream, Fluttershy turned to run. She needn't have bothered. Moving with unnatural speed, the abomination clacked and skittered across the floor and up the side of the wall. It was on the ceiling before Fluttershy had taken more than three steps. It jumped down, clamping onto her face just as the first one had done to Applejack.

Fluttershy fell to her knees. She could feel it's tiny sugared feelers tickling her nostrils and probing her lips. She tried to scream but the candy muffled her cries. She clawed at the spider, frantically trying to rip it off her face. Her vision was going blurry. She couldn't breathe! The thing was trying to suffocate her! Yet for all her struggling, all she managed to do was draw her own blood as she scratched and scratched trying with all her strength to pull the thing off, red gashes opening beneath her panicked fingernails. It was no use.

Realizing at last the futility of her attempts to free herself, Fluttershy reached a desperate hand towards Sonata. Though her eyes were still wide, behind her hands Sonata's horrified expression slowly turned into a wicked smile. "That's what you get! That's what you both get for bullying me!" she yelled. Fluttershy's vision slowly began to go red around the edges as tears poured from her eyes. Involuntarily, she felt her mouth open, gasping for breath and finding none. She felt the creatures feelers slide into her mouth and down her throat. She gagged, but couldn't force anything back up. She slumped to one side, banging her own head on the clean kitchen floor. As she collapsed she thought she heard approaching footsteps.

"What's going on here? What happened?" cried Granny Smith., her own eyes wide as she looked back and forth between her Granddaughter and the timid little girl she was always trying to make laugh. Sonata cringed, but quickly slipped behind the distraught adult. "What did you do to them!?" cried Granny Smith as she kneeled beside Applejack.

"Nothing compared to what we're going to do," replied Sonata, eerily calm. "Sorry 'Granny', but you are directly in the wrong place at the wrong time!" She lifted the dull meat cleaver from the kitchen counter and buried it in the back of Granny Smith's head.