• Published 22nd Oct 2015
  • 7,555 Views, 329 Comments

The Last Something Sweet to Bite - Knackerman



The third and final story in the Something Sweet to Bite series.

  • ...
13
 329
 7,555

The Best Revenge

In spite of herself, her stomach growled.

"Ugh, I can't believe we're back to this," came the exasperated words of a young girl who's features were partially hidden by the hood of her jacket. Her face was lost in shadow, though she stood beneath the moonlight and the steadily buzzing fluorescent lamp that served as the only light source in the back alley. She was not alone as two other figures, similarly dressed, stood nearby. One was clearly on lookout for anyone coming around the corner while the other meticulously, but hurriedly, rummaged through the dumpster behind the restaurant.

"Quiet down Aria, or do you want to get caught dumpster diving... again?" the harsh reply from the one busily sorting through several containers. Most were empty, but some were still full. Some were even still warm. They would eat well tonight.

"We wouldn't have to be doing this, again, if it wasn't for your stupid schemes Adagio," cried Aria Blaze, her purple hair spilling out of her hood as she pushed it back, ignoring the warning in the others voice. "If you two would just follow my lead, I bet we wouldn't have lost our gems in the first place."

"We lost the gems because we were defeated, Aria! Not just me, but you and Sonata as well. We lost. That's all there is to it," Picking out three likely looking containers she opened the first. A fat roach scurried away from the light as she opened the to-go box. She could feel its tiny legs scurry across her knuckles as it dropped back into the darkness of the dumpster. Adagio Dazzling shivered, but she suppressed the instinct to scream and brushed a curl of orange hair out of her eyes. She had more self control than that. "We've lived on the streets before. We know how to survive. All we need to do is bide our time while I come up with a plan for us to get our revenge."

"Oh, and I'm sure it will go as well as your last plan," growled Aria crossing her arms. "I still say we should get out of here. Maybe find that portal that those students were gossiping about. We could go back to Equestria, reclaim our real birthright!" she threw her arms up for emphasis before going on, "Don't you miss it? The soft lullaby of the waves? The cool depths of the sea? We could have that again, along with our real bodies!"

Adagio turned slowly, a scowl on her face "Have you forgotten where that portal is supposed to be? Canterlot High. I suppose you think they'll let us just walk onto campus, 'Oh, pardon us, we know we tried to enslave you all, but could you just let us poke back through the mystical portal that would let us return home?'", she pantomimed the scene, talking to the lamp post as if it were one of CHS's many students, "I'm sure that would go over swimmingly! Hah!" Despite the need for stealth she couldn't quite contain that bark of laughter at such an absurd idea.

"We could try apologizing," thought Sonata aloud, joining the conversation. Her companions glared at her. It was clear this wasn't the first time she had made this suggestion. "I mean, it's not like we'd have to really mean it or anything. That school has already let Sunset Shimmer into their good graces, and she tormented them for years! So what if we... controlled their minds a little? I'm sure they'd accept us if we just said we were sorry! For realsies!" The earnest look on her face was enough to make her cohorts grimace.

"I'm sure they wouldn't see through that ruse at all Sonata," replied Aria with a smirk. "Why don't you go try it out and let us know how it goes. We might even visit you in Juvenile Detention. That is, unless they decide to try you as an adult. On the other hand, I'm sure it's 'Taco Tuesday' everyday in prison."

"You really think so?" asked Sonata Dusk with an excited grin, her hood falling away to reveal her long blue ponytail.

Adagio rolled her eyes, "No you idiots. Apologizing isn't going to get us what we want, and neither is running back to Equestria with our tails tucked between out legs."

"But we don't have tails anymore. Do we? I know we got our fins back briefly, did we get our tails too and I didn't notice?" Sonata looked back over her shoulder to make sure, and began to spin in a tight circle, trying to get a good look at her own backside. Aria put one hand to her forehead and closed her eyes while Adagio's expression made it clear she was fighting with every fiber of her being not to fill the alleyway with echos of her expletive filled rage.

"No you buffoon!" she hissed instead, "Pay attention! What we want isn't to return home, or to get into those idiot high schoolers good graces! What we want is revenge, pure and simple, for the humiliation we suffered at their hands! It's their fault we lost our gems, their fault that we're not flush with Equestrian magic, and their fault that we're back to living on the streets! I don't care how long it takes, I don't care if we have to sleep under bridges or on park benches or even eat out of the trash! Whatever it takes, we are going to do it until we are avenged!"

"Perhaps I can be of some assistance with that?" voice from a deep shadow in the alleyway with a high pitched giggle. It was hard to tell how long the cloaked figure had been standing there. Unlike the others, who merely wore ragged hoodies to hide their faces, the new comer was draped in a garment that looked like it had once been a pets blanket. The smell certainly seemed to indicate as such. Even so, she didn't seem like the half senile beggars the former Dazzlings had to sometimes fight with over scraps of food and shelter.

"Sonata, you were supposed to be keeping watch!" chided Aria.

"I was! I am! I mean..." stammered Sonata as she backed away from the cloaked figure, a look of apprehension on her gormless face. "I have no idea where she came from."

"Further than you might think," laughed the newcomer girlishly. There was something familiar about her voice, but also something haunting and strange, "but that doesn't really matter. What matters is what we can do for each other."

"And why exactly would we do anything for you, scruffy? We're not exactly looking to do anyone's dirty work right now," Adagio said disdainfully, unconsciously brushing a bit of garbage off her shoulder. "We've got plenty of dirty work of our own to deal with."

"Perhaps I could make it worth your wile? If you do as I say, you would be rewarded," continued the stranger.

"Hah, what do you have that we could possibly want?" asked Aria dismissively.

"These," the mysterious figure replied, as she withdrew three necklaces from the folds of her cloak. In the dimly lit back alley, a ruddy light suffused the world in crimson shades. At the end of each dark chain a gem, the deep shade of fresh blood, glowed gently. There was no mistaking them. They had once belonged to the Dazzling's after all.

"Our gems!" cried Sonata, her and her compatriots instantly mesmerized, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, how did you fix them!?"

"She didn't," replied Adagio before the stranger could, "Look at them closely."

It was true the gems appeared the same, but the chains that held them did not. They were old, incredibly ancient looking, stained by time and possibly something far darker. On closer inspection the gems themselves were more than a little dull, chipped, and cracked. They only shown so brightly from the massive amount of magic that they contained, far more than the Dazzling's old gems had possessed. "It's true that these are not yours," replied the stranger, "But they can be. All you have to do is exactly what I tell you to do. It will be a task you may even enjoy, and I'm sure it will more than satisfy your thirst for revenge. Do we have a deal?"

"And what's to stop us from just beating you up and taking them from you?" asked Aria pounding her fist into the palm of her hand. "There's only one of you and three of us, after all."

This didn't get the reaction that Aria had expected. The cloaked figure suddenly let out a high pitch burst of laughter that echoed through the alleyway, loud enough perhaps that it rang throughout the town as well. It was enough to unnerve even the usually unshakable Aria. "You're more than welcome to try," said the stranger suddenly seeming to loom large in the scarlet light from the gem stones, "Only I can't promise you would survive the way you are now. So weak, pathetic, and utterly spent. Barely worth a second thought," With a quick gesture she tucked the necklaces back into her robes. "Though if you wish to refuse my offer, I'm sure there are others who would be willing to take my bargain."

"Wait, wait, now just wait a moment," said Adagio hurriedly. She motioned the other two to come to her and the three huddled together. What followed was a flurry of harsh whispers.

"She is like, way creeping me out," said Sonata in a voice that was just barely quieter than her speaking volume.

"I don't like her either," added Aria, "If she wanted us to do her bidding so badly, why not just use the gems to make us?"

"Probably because she can't," hissed Adagio, "Which means we have the advantage. Did you see how fiercely those gems glowed? I haven't seen any stones so powerful in a thousand years! Perhaps even longer! We can't afford to pass this up."

"I thought you were all for toughing it out on the street until you could come up with a plan?" asked Aria snarkily.

"Things change sister. I'm as sick of digging through garbage for dinner as you are, and this is our ticket out of this dump," replied their leader bluntly. For once, Aria couldn't argue with that.

"But she's really, really creepy! How do we know we can trust her?" whimpered Sonata. "what does she even look like under those rags she's wearing?"

Adagio looked to Aria, who gave a curt nod of her head. Breaking the huddle the Dazzling's stood in formation, each with a hand on their hip. Their leader stepped forward, "Well you certainly have our attention, and I'm sure you drive a hard bargain. Just one thing..." Adagio pulled back her own hood as she asked, "Who are you? Who's the mystery woman who comes to us offering Equestrian artifacts of such obvious power? Show us your face."

Without saying a word, the stranger pulled back her cloak. The gasp from the three must have been worth it, because she started to giggle as they exclaimed in surprise.

"Oh wow!"

"No way!"

"You've got to be kidding!"

"Hey you bratty kids, quiet down back their or I'm calling the cops ya little hoods!" cried an adult voice from the front of the restaurant.

"Well now, isn't this an interesting development," said Adagio with a grin as she stroked her chin. "I think it's safe to say we're more than interested. I'd even go so far as to say we have a deal," her face twisted into an evil smile. "So what's the plan?"