• Published 22nd Oct 2015
  • 7,552 Views, 329 Comments

The Last Something Sweet to Bite - Knackerman



The third and final story in the Something Sweet to Bite series.

  • ...
13
 329
 7,552

Welcome to Our Nightmare

The real Rainbow Dash continued to sob on the floor, curled tight into a ball. Sunset wanted more than anything to reach over and comfort her friend, to tell her everything was going to be alright. She just wished that there was any hope that her comforting platitudes wouldn't be lies. "Candy Mare! You're the Candy Mare aren't you!?"

"In the flesh," replied the girl who looked like Rainbow Dash, blood staining her lips from the devoured finger she had gobbled down "In a manner of speaking." She stepped further into the room, but not in a menacing fashion. True to her words earlier, she seemed almost bored. "I have to say, I'm a little disappointed you didn't figure it out sooner. I didn't think I'd have to go to all the trouble of sending you up here to witness our little Dashie coming out of the closet." She traced one finger over the real Rainbows exposed flesh. Sunset's friend flinched, trying to pull away from the unwelcome touch. "I guess my little act was just that good."

"You stay away from her you monster!" cried Sunset, rallying. It was true she was at a disadvantage right now, but that wouldn't stop her from defending her friends.

"Or what? Are you going to punish me?" The Candy Mare twisted her borrowed face into an adorable little pout, before she burst into high, girlish laughter that didn't suit her 'Rainbow Dash' form at all. Indeed her voice and her entire demeanor had slowly changed as she had been talking. Now the sallow skin, the hollow eyes were all too obvious, as was the way she stood hunched like a predator about to spring. The child like voice that spilled from her lips was no more appropriate to her form, but the sadistic edge to her words were more than fitting. "You don't even know how long we've been planning this. You didn't even have a clue this was coming until today. I can certainly see why you were Celestia's failed apprentice," she hissed with a chuckle.

"We? Who's we?" asked Sunset as her eyes looked wildly around the room for something for her to defend herself with. While it was true physical harm wouldn't stop the Candy Mare for long, it might buy her time to untie the real Rainbow Dash. She'd carry her out of here if she had to, but they needed to leave and they needed to leave now! Her hands closed around the handle of a metal baseball bat, and without a moments hesitation she raised the sporting implement and smashed it into the side of the fake Dash's face. She could here the bones and teeth crack as the metal struck home, and see the bright red gush of blood that splattered the opposite wall.

"You'll find out who I mean by 'we' soon enough," spoke the Candy Mare, not missing a beat. Though her jaw was clearly broken and one of her eyes dangled from its socket, it didn't seem to phase her at all. Indeed, as the Candy Mare spoke 'Rainbow Dash's' mouth simply worked lifelessly up and down. As Sunset watched in horror, thick red strands that looked like liquorice, wrapped around the splinted bone and rent flesh and tugged them back into place. Even the eyeball was sucked back into its vacant socket with a sickening slurp. Though the damage wasn't healed, it looked as if it hadn't occurred in the first place. "Though I suppose it is rude of me not to introduce you before your final performance. Would you settle for a taste of what's to come?"

As she spoke, she hunched further over. Something beneath her skin began to writhe and squirm. The fake Rainbow dash's skin on her arms and stomach seemed to peel back, opening like a disgusting flower made of meat. Sunset raised the bat for another strike, but didn't have time to act as three screaming, shrieking monstrosities burst from beneath the fake Dash's skin. They were all spiked legs, tendrils, and tooth filled maws. She managed to bat one aside and smash another to the floor, but the third one latched onto her face and buried tendrils down her throat. She could feel the thick appendages suffocating her, and worse, she could taste the sick mixture of gore and candy on her tongue. The squealing monsters were part of the Candy Mare. She was force feeding part of herself to Sunset Shimmer, just as she had force fed Rainbow Dash her parents. She choked and tried to beat the thing off with her bat, but it only clung tighter to her face.

"Relax. Would I go to all this trouble to just kill you?" asked the Candy Mare, once again using Rainbow Dash's voice. "Oh no, I have something much better in store for you. Night, night." With that, Sunset blacked out for the second time that day.
--------------------------

"Ah think she's coming around," when Sunset's eyes fluttered open, for a moment she thought she was perhaps buried deep under the earth. It was pitch black and she found it hard to move, hard to even breathe. Yet hadn't someone said something? "Help me get this thing off of her, Pinkie. Ready? One... two...three!"

There was a pop, and Sunset felt something being pulled off of her face... and out of her throat. She coughed and wheezed, hacking up what felt like a lung. Even so, she found it easier to breathe now, and the darkness was not quite so absolute. There was a faint illumination that seemed to come from above, though the lights source was obscured.

"Take it easy darlin'. Just breathe," said Applejack as she patted Sunset's back, "You're going to be okay."

"As if. None of us are going to be okay," came Rainbow Dash's unsolicited reply, sounding a little more like herself. "You don't even know what's about to happen!"

"And you do darling?" Rarity asked, clearly perturbed. "I suppose you just happen to know the Dazzling's plans? Well if that's the case, do feel free to share!"

"It's not the Dazzlings we have to worry about," replied Rainbow Dash darkly, before falling silent.

"Is everyone... is everyone alright?" sputtered Sunset once she felt as though she could speak. The inside of her mouth tasted like sugar and vomit.

"Um...I think so. Though Rainbow Dash seems to be the worst off of all of us," replied Fluttershy when no one else answered. "You uh... had one of those candy monsters stuck to your face like the rest of us did. We thought the Dazzlings got to you too, but Dash apparently didn't even know they were back. She was the only one who wasn't knocked out when we were dumped in here."

"Candy monsters?" asked Sunny as her eyes continued to adjust to the gloom. In front of her, all spines and teeth and tendrils, a candy abomination lay prone and lifeless. She gasped and tried to scramble away from it.

"Easy girl, easy," reassured Applejack. "That there critter is dead. Same goes for the ones that got us. Seems like they fall to pieces after a little while. Mine and Fluttershy's ain't nothin' but dust at the moment. We woulda taken yours off sooner but it was still... ya know, alive until a moment ago."

"Yeah it was super gross!" chimed in Pinkie Pie. "Like something from 'It came from Beyond' or 'Extraterrestrial'! I was kind of worried that something was going to burst out of your chest and kill us all, but then I realized it would've already happened to the rest of us by now if it was going to." Pinkie seemed almost disappointed by this.

"Are you sure it's dead? I mean... it doesn't really look like it should be able to live to begin with," Sunset was barely able to contain her disgust at the thought of the thing being latched onto her face.

"As a door nail, sugarcube," comforted the country girl. "But the question is, what happened to the rest of y'all? We know we were ambushed by Sonata. Adagio and Aria got their hands on Pinkie Pie and Rarity. But the only thing we've been able to get out of Dash here is how we're all 'doomed' and that it's only a matter of time before she would make us eat them... Whatever that's supposed to mean," Aj finished, rolling her eyes.

"Go easy on Rainbow, Applejack," responded Sunset, drawing her knees up to her chest. "She's had it worse than all of us. But I'll tell you what happened to me... and what I think happened to her. It's as I feared... the Candy Mare is here, and she's been right under our noses for some time."
--------------------

It took the better part of an hour, but they at last managed to hash out what had happened. The better part of that time had been spent drawing out something other than cryptic replies or moans from Rainbow Dash, but the more time she spent with her friends the more she started to act like herself. It seemed she had been a prisoner in her own house for the better part of a month. She had answered the door one evening after school and was baffled when someone who looked exactly like her was standing in the doorway. She had remembered hearing stories about Changelings from Sunset and Twilight, so she thought the best thing to do was to push away her shock and fight her. Unfortunately she found herself quickly and easily overpowered. Whatever the thing was that wore her face, it was absolutely ruthless, cruel, and more than willing to torment her the entire time she was in her power.

"That's the Candy Mare," said Sunset simply. "I'm not sure how, but she seems to have gotten control of another Rainbow Dash's body. While our Dash was held captive all this time, she's been running around making her plans to capture us. Why, I can't say for sure yet, but it's obvious she's gone to a lot of trouble to get us here in this room, at this time." She paused to let her words sink in. "She's even gone so far as to enlist the aid of the Dazzlings, if what the rest of you say is true. I don't know what the nature of their arraignment is, but the Dazzlings mustn't know who their really dealing with. The Candy Mare is not known for leaving survivors in her wake and she isn't exactly the sort to make friends."

"So yer sayin' Twilight, Princess Twilight and all her friends are *gulp* dead?" asked Applejack.

"No, I don't think so. When I was communicating with Spike he acted like everything was alright. If the Candy Mare had gone on a rampage in Equestria and then come through the portal to our world, I think there would've been some kind of fore warning," replied Sunset Shimmer thinking the possibilities through. "It's obvious from Starswirl's research that there are many more worlds like the Human world and Equestria out there... Their own universes, each a little different from the other, but still similar to the ones we know. I think that this Candy Mare, and the Rainbow Dash she's using as a puppet, are from another universe entirely. I couldn't tell you how she made it into ours, but that seems to make the most sense. Unfortunately, that just means she may have already been successful in defeating the 'us's' from at least one other universe. She may only be here to uh... find more food," she finished uncomfortably.

"So that's it?" asked Fluttershy on the verge of tears, "We're doomed, just like Rainbow Dash said?"

"Not necessarily," replied Sunset, though saying it partially just to comfort the timid teenager. "It's odd that a creature as terrifying as the Candy Mare would need to be helped at all. Looking at these horrible candy creatures she used on us, I can't help but notice how quickly they decay. I think it's possible that, with the limited background magic in this world, the Candy Mare is having a hard time surviving. It may even be why she's inside that other Rainbow Dash to begin with, rather than manifesting on her own. She may not have enough power to stay in this world for long without a stable source of magic to sustain her." Sunset Shimmer put a finger to her lip thoughtfully "There's probably something here, at Canterlot High, that attracted her in the first place. It may be because of the portal... or maybe something to do with the Equestrian Magic we tap into when we sing. If she found a way to harness that magical power herself, I doubt she'd need the Dazzlings anymore."

"That's why I don't think we really need to worry about the Dazzlings," rasped Rainbow Dash harshly, her voice still a little raw from weeks of disuse. "They might be part of the Candy Mare's plans, but she's the real threat in all this, not them."

"I don't know dear," mused Rarity thoughtfully, "I don't think we should discount the Dazzlings just because they have a more ferocious benefactor. If anything I think that makes them more dangerous, not less."

"Who is and isn't a bigger threat don't amount to a bushel of apples!" Shouted Applejack exasperated,"Not if we're stuck in here while they're out there doin' who knows what! We can't even get a message out to warn anyone since they took Sunset's book and all our phones. I mean without our cell phones we don't even know what time it is, let alone where we are!"

"Oh that's easy," giggled Pinkie Pie. "The time is exactly six forty nine PM, and we're in the storage room underneath the gymnasium stage."

"How do you know that Pinkie?" asked Fluttershy after a few moments of bewildered silence from everyone else.

"Well, I know we're under the stage because this is where I moved our instruments so we could get to them when we performed at the Fall Formal," replied the party girl matter-of-factly, "And I know what time it is because DJ Pon-3 just started her fourth dance track."

Sure enough, as the others strained their ears, they could faintly hear music floating down from above, along with the soft roar of many voices, and stamping feet. Indeed the steady thrumming of the bass was impossible to ignore once they realized it was there. It was already Halloween night! They'd been stuck down here for an entire day. "Is there a way out of here Pinkie?" asked Sunset.

"Oh sure, only they're all blocked off or locked," responded Pinkie sadly, "I'm afraid the only way out of here right now is using the stage elevator, and the controls for that are, you know, up on stage."

As if on cue, the obscured light source suddenly brightened as the stages trapdoor slid open. The platform that the six girls had been unknowingly sitting on began to rise, slowly baring them and their instruments to the stage above. As they rose onto the stage, the crowd began to cheer.

Black and orange streamers hung along the walls, as did balloons of the same color. Goofy Halloween decorations hung from the ceiling; bats, spiders, witches, ghosts, and even a skeleton or two, along with two mirrored disco balls. Sure enough, the Fall Formal was in full swing, the space was filled almost wall to wall with male students in formal attire and females in extravagant dresses. All of the girls classmates were there and they were all cheering for them, "That's right ladies and gentlemen, we've got a real treat for you tonight!" boomed a familiar voice over the schools P.A. system, "The Sonic Rainbooms performing their final show! But first, we have a special Nightmare Night treat in store for you all!" The students looked around bewildered.

The Rainboom's were on stage but they weren't going to be playing yet? Nightmare Night? Didn't they mean Halloween? What was going on?

In answer to their many questions, a husky voice began to sing, "Welcome to your nightmare... I think you're gonna like it. I think you're gonna feel you belong~" Three black cloaked figures moved slowly through the crowd as two other voices joined the first, "A nocturnal vacation, unnecessary sedation, you want to feel at home 'cause you belong..." The crimson jeweled chokers at their throats blazed in unison, sending a wave of scarlet light through the auditorium that seemed to twist and bend reality in its wake. The students tried to resist the familiar tonal bonds of slavery penetrating their skulls, but it was no use. The very words of the song itself were like cold bands of iron, irresistible and unbending. The cloaked girls voices rose to crescendo, "Welcome to your Nightmare, wo ho ho ho!"

The Dazzlings whipped off their hooded robes, revealing their new forms. Scaly pale skin shot through with veins that pulsed with dark energy, razor sharp fins jutting through their cloths. Those nearest the Dazzlings sliced open their outstretched hands, already slaves to the Sirens, already seeking to worship their new mistresses. It seemed the adoring audiences fresh spilled blood was a worthy sacrifice to their goddesses return as the Dazzlings smiled fiendishly. Their mouths were filled with rows of shark-like fangs as they grinned. Their eyes were jet black orbs that seemed to barely contain the evil magic that pulsed within as they swept them back and forth over the groveling crowd.

These same eyes settled now on the Rainbooms up on stage, "Welcome to your breakdown, I hope we didn't scare you, that's just the way we are when we come down." They roared with laughter as the audience members, one by one fell to their knees, "We sweat and laugh and scream here! Because life is just a dream here! You know deep inside, you feel right at home..." Their song seemed to reach out to the girls on stage. Before, they had been able to easily resist the Dazzlings mesmerizing songs thanks to their friendship and the Equestrian Magic that it had engendered. Now the Rainbooms felt their bodies acting against their will as they each took up their instruments and began to play accompaniment to the divas triumphant voices, their limbs tugged by the puppet strings of the sirens song, "Yeah welcome to your nightmare, yeah hey hey hey!"

The monstrous girls howled with ugly laughter in their victory. This was the power they had sought so long to have returned to them. This was their birthright, the power to bend the wills of these lesser land dwelling creatures! Soon, the whole world would be on their knees, worshiping their new rulers. The Dazzlings took to the stage, moving among the Rainbooms as they played their instruments against their will, possessive webbed hands stroking their most coveted of prizes. Their revenge would be slow, fulsome, and lingering; The promise was there in their jet black eyes, in their song, and in their hungry salivating mouths.

Nothing could ruin this moment. Nothing but the sound of slow clapping as one lone figure walked among the prostrate student body.

"Bravo, bravo!" cried the Candy Mare, once again using Dash's voice. "I've gotta say, not bad. I'd give it a solid seven... no, eight out of ten. It could've been about twenty percent crueler, don't you think?"