• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 2,946 Views, 84 Comments

How to be Cruel - Erisn



Tirek is alone in his cell in Tartarus when he recieves an unexpected visitor. She says she's going to kill him. It's Fluttershy.

  • ...
9
 84
 2,946

Epilogue: Home

Fluttershy stayed for a few more minutes to make sure Tirek was truly dead. Then she carefully stood up and prodded at her side. She winced, but decided that while she was badly bruised, there were not broken bones or cracked ribs. That was good.

Cerberus was next, and Fluttershy spent some time scratching his ears and whispering to him while he rolled happily on the ground. His muzzles were still stained with blood, but he didn’t seem bothered by it. Fluttershy left him there, as the dog happily returned to his patrol of Tartarus.

She guessed it might be several weeks before any pony came to check on Tirek, but their conclusion would be the same regardless. The only thing that could foil her plan now was another visitor in Tartarus. But only Celestia or Luna would dare venture here, and Fluttershy knew that both were visiting Manehatten at the moment.

It took her several hours to maneuver through the maze of tunnels, but in the end, Fluttershy emerged into an evening’s sunset. She oriented herself to where she knew Ponyville to be and took off into the air. She was nowhere near as fast as Rainbow Dash, but Fluttershy flew doggedly, accomplishing with time and patience what Rainbow Dash could do with speed and skill.

It was nightfall by the time Ponyville came into sight. Fluttershy skimmed over the rooftops, and flew onwards towards her secluded cottage on the borders of the Everfree. Lights shone merrily from every window, and she could hear the sounds of animals chattering away as she approached.

The house went silent as soon as they sensed Fluttershy’s presence, but the silence lasted only as long as it took for her to move closer so the inhabitants could see who it was. Noise resumed and the cottage door swung open. A rabbit hopped out and held it open for Fluttershy, letting warm yellow light spill out into the night.

“Thank you Long Foot,” Fluttershy said as she trotted inside. “Have any of my friends come to call?”

Long Foot shook his head, and gestured to the other animals crowding Fluttershy’s house. Birds and rodents and other mammals and one bear greeted Fluttershy, and just for an instant, she remembered a similar scene, in a happier time.

“Well, thank you.” Fluttershy said again. “I appreciate your help. I don’t anticipate any more outings for the next few weeks, so we’ll take it easy. Get some sleep now, okay?”

Long Foot bowed and hopped back into the cottage to his cot on the floor. His fur was a beautiful white. That was one of the factors that had made Fluttershy choose him over other rabbits. He still had problems hitting Fluttershy when other ponies were around, but he had Angel’s expression and foot tapping down. Long Foot wasn’t nearly as aggressive as Angel, but he was a good actor and more importantly, he was reliable and serious. He just lacked the fire.

Fluttershy stepped around her cottage, greeting animals and tucking them in or seeing them off. They had gathered here, waiting for her return as she honored their concern with courtesy and respect. She waved goodbye as Matilda the bear walked back into the Everfree. It had taken some effort finding a bear that looked like Harry and was willing to stay in close proximity to Ponyville, but Matilda was one of his distant cousins and had understood the need.

When all of her animals were asleep of had gone back to their homes in the Everfree, Fluttershy opened her door again and stepped outside. The season had changed from summer to autumn in the last few weeks, and it was a cool breeze that ruffled her mane as Fluttershy carefully shut her door. Soon, the landscape would be full of falling leaves, and the vivid red and orange of the world preparing itself for winter, but not yet.

The garden behind Fluttershy’s house was not large, but still bigger than what most ponies cared to manage. Neat rows of carrots and heads of lettuce and cabbage poked out of the earth, but Fluttershy passed those by. They were growing quite well now, and Fluttershy wondered whether it was due to Chrysalis’s presence.

She reached the back of her garden, where it nestled right up against her cottage. No vegetables had been planted there. Flowers instead grew in a rough circle, not just the typical dandelions, tulips and other flowers native Ponyville but far more. Beautiful yellow marigolds and chrysanthemums of lovely shades of purple and vivid oranges grew here. Bluebells sat next to orchids and magnolias still in full bloom.

Fluttershy touched the flowers gently, and watched as the night’s breeze made them sway. They would be fading soon, as fall and winter took all the life from the earth. Soon, there would be nothing but barren ground here. She would deal with that time when it came. For now, it was enough.

Fluttershy lay down in the soft earth, and breathed out. She had no blanket, but the air wasn’t cold. She felt the rich soil beneath her, heard the sigh of the wind, and closed her eyes. She buried her face in the ground and felt as though something, someone was right next to her, pressing his furry face against hers.

She whispered into the earth.

“Angel? I’m home.”

Author's Note:

Thus ends How To Be Cruel, and with it, one of the hardest characters I’ve had to write. Evilifying Fluttershy is hard, and the only character I think would be harder to write as would be Rarity. Pinkie Pie is tough, but I think you could do interesting things with internal monologues.

I don’t usually feel the need to write any author’s notes, but in this case I feel it would help address any questions. Astute readers may have noticed that Fluttershy’s story hinted at her killing Sombra, dragons, and other villains from the show. However, I decided to just wrap everything up after Chrysalis. This is for two main reasons: one, I don’t really want to write any more in this story, and two, it just wouldn’t be as interesting.

Fluttershy resembles Walter White a lot in the way she acts. She’s an idiot, but brilliant at times. However, after killing Chrysalis she’s definitely more of a Gus character who’s scarily smart and ruthless. And while it would be interesting to watch her stomp every villain she meets, it’s not nearly as fun for me to write. This story went way longer than I expected, so I sort of ran out of steam near the end. Maybe someday I’d pick it back up, (after Season 5 perhaps if there’s a really great villain), but for now we have to just imagine the bloodstained road Fluttershy took until she met Tirek.

You may also be interested to know that there is actually some basis for this story from the show itself. If you look carefully in the scene where Shining Armor and Cadence send Chrysalis and her army flying, two changelings do indeed seem to fly into the Everfree. Coincidence? Probably.

Also you may have picked up on the fact that Chrysalis is indeed humming This Day before she dies. Try rereading that chapter with that song playing in your headphones.

Well, that’s about it. For all those reading this far, thanks for sticking with this story. Not sure if I’ll be writing anything more in the near future as I’m tired, but keep an eye out. I might be hit by sudden inspiration (or a brick), and churn out a few chapters. Maybe it's time to do some blogging or find some other amazing stories on this side. Thanks for reading,

--Erisn