• Published 16th Feb 2015
  • 7,533 Views, 514 Comments

The Red Cyclone - Onomonopia

  • ...
11
 514
 7,533

The Brewing Storm

Chrysalis cracked her eyes open with a groan, slowly dragging herself out of her bed while mentally bracing herself for another day as the "glorious" leader of the changelings. Still half asleep, she walked onto the balcony of her castle, half opening her eyes to look at the majesty that was her kingdom.

'And I use that term loosely,' she thought to herself as she looked out across the blackened landscape, where buildings that had fallen into disrepair adorned the dome that surrounded the city, a dome that was as gray as her outlook. 'Time to get to work.' She turned and left her balcony, wide awake now that she was in leader mode. She exited her chambers and headed down to the main castle hall, where her advisor stood at the bottom of the stairs waiting for her. Her advisor was also the only being that could get her to smile anymore.

"Good more Queen Chrysalis, did you sleep well?" Insectum asked her with a smile as she held a small clipboard in her hooves. Chrysalis's response was to pull her daughter into a quick hug before the two of them headed for the exit of the castle. "I hope you enjoyed your rest, because that'll probably be the only thing you'll enjoy today."

"Going back to bed," Chrysalis replied as she turned around, but her daughter grabbed hold of the queens tail with her magic.

"Come on mom, you know you have to do this. Now let's read off what you've got on your plate today," Insectum began as she looked down at the top item on the list. "Oh boy. Looks like to start things off you'll be investigating that disturbance that showed up in the middle of the night out in the middle of the wastelands, so that'll be fun. Then you have to see what was the cause of the fires down in the center of the city. And then-"

"Let's just go to the wastelands. It's more lively than this place," Chrysalis grumbled, her daughter nodding as the two began to walk through the streets to the exit of the kingdom. Chrysalis motioned for a number of guards to follow her as they passed by them and she was glad that she had spotted them as she walked, it gave her an excuse not to look at her sorry excuse of a kingdom.

The buildings were made of the cheapest material, none of which held up long and most of the buildings were already collapsing upon themselves. Because of that, many changelings were forced to live in the streets where they weren't safe from the constant bombardment of the elements.

'And then there's the food shortage,' Chrysalis silently thought to herself as she caught glimpses of the starving changelings out of the corner of her eyes, paining her heart to see both adults and children forced to starve. 'Why in the hell would those damned bandits steal love potions from us? What could they possibly need with that many love potions? Grr, when I get my hooves on them, I'll tear their hearts out and feed on them.'

"You're doing the best you can mom, don't forget that," Insectum said to comfort her mother, Chrysalis smirking as once again her daughter seemed to be able to read her thoughts. "They all still look to you." Chrysalis wished that Insectum hadn't said that, for she was forced to look at some of the hopeful faces as she passed by her changelings, faces that believed in her despite her failure.

"Any idea what might be out in the wastelands?" one of the guards asked when Chrysalis stared for a second too long at a pair of children. Chrysalis gave him a small smile, grateful for him giving her a topic to take her mind off the hive. "Reports say that it was like a light show we don't get around here. Think Celestia might be trying something again?"

"No, it is too soon for old tank flank to be bothering us again," Chrysalis assumed as she and the other changelings walked out of the front gates of the kingdom, the guards that defended it saluting her as she passed. "Whatever it is though we have to assume that it is hostile and will probably try to kill us. Be on alert, I can't afford to lose any more changelings."

"Especially with that wilderbeast running around," the other guard muttered, all of the changelings growling at those words. "Lost three guards last week to it. Shame, they were good fighters."

"We'll deal with that another time. Right now we need to focus on the task at hoof." Chrysalis and the other changelings took to the skies as they exited the kingdom, flying through the gray skies to where Insectum had marked on her map.

"This is where the reports say the lights were coming from," Insectum muttered, her report being confirmed a few seconds later as all four changelings saw the massive crater that hadn't been there the previous night. In the center of the crater was a massive machine that still spewed some dark energy into the skies, while parts of it were scattered around the crater. "Alright, spread out but stay within earshot. Last thing we need is some monster from wherever this came killing any of us."

The guards nodded and split up while Chrysalis and Insectum flew down to see the machine for themselves. It was a massive piece of work, with strange, alien markings on the sides as well as lights that blinked on and off. Chrysalis looked at the strange marking with interest, wondering what they could mean.

"Queen Chrysalis! Over here!" Chrysalis and Insectum both looked up from the wreckage of the machine and raced over to where one of the guards was waving, both of them being stopped in their tracks by what they saw. A monstrous creature lay face down in the mud, it's massive frame moving up and down slowly, telling them it was still alive. It had no coat, but it's massive muscles were covered in scars. It had only a few patches of fur and wore very little clothing, but what worried Chrysalis was how massive it was.

"What kind of monster is this?" Insectum asked as she poked one of the massive biceps of the creature, getting it to grunt once before it began to snore again. "I've never seen anything like it before. Why is it here?...and why does it smell like alcohol and pride?" Chrysalis narrowed her eyes at it as she kicked the beast with her front hoof, surprised at how her hoof bounced off with ease.

"Think we can get a meal out of it?" she asked her daughter, who as still examining the massive beast with curious blue eyes.

"Well, I have no idea if it's sentient or not, but do you know what this means?" she asked her mother with a huge smile. "This means we have a strange creature that no pony or changeling has ever seen before. We've got something the ponies don't." Both Chrysalis and her guards grew wide smiles at those words and Chrysalis looked down at the beast with plans for it.

"Take it back to the castle. We'll send out the strongest guards I have to retrieve the pile of metal," Chrysalis ordered. The guards nodded as they tied ropes around the red boots of the beast, dragging it through the mud as they all headed back to the castle. 'Oh yes beast, let us see what the ponies would be willing to trade for you.'

←↙↓↘→↗+H

With a jolt Zangief awoke, his massive bulk leaping with him as he snapped himself awake. But upon moments of rising from his slumber, he quickly realized that something was the matter. His arms, which should have been crushing his foes, were chained to the armrests of a chair that was too small for his muscular body.

"Where am I?" he asked as he blinked his eyes, becoming accustom to the darkness of the room he found himself in. When he could see, he found that he had been imprisoned in a stone cell with the only light coming through the small iron bars on the door before him. "Haha, for a moment you had me worried," he said with a laugh to whoever was on the other side of the door, all of his worry melting away. "I thought that I might be in danger. But if you believe that chains can hold down the Red Cyclone, then you are a fool!"

Then Zangief began to press again the chains with his ultimate weapons: his muscles. The veins on his tree trunk like arms expanded as he pushed against the metal with his herculean might, knowing that no chain or metal could hold him down. But to his absolute shock, he found that the chains had no respect for his might and stubbornly held him in place. Upon a closer inspection of the chains, he found green energy running through them, causing the great Gief to growl with frustration.

"Oh good, you're finally awake." Zangief swung his head towards the sound of the voice, already entering his mental commands for his piledriver. But the move never even made it to his mind as his thoughts were blown away by what entered through the door and into his cell. It was around five feet, full of holes and looked like a black insect to him. An insect that could talk. "And from the fact that you just yelled out to me, you are intelligent after all. Now they'll have to want you."

"What are you? Where am I? Oh, I must be dreaming after a night of vodka and dancing," Zangief said with relief as a smile broke out across his face. "For no creature as strange as you could possibly exist. I have slept long enough, so could you unchain me so I can pinch myself?"

"Allow me to help wake you up," Chrysalis snarled as she smacked the Russian across the face, barely moving his head. Zangief blinked twice as he waited for himself to wake up, but when nothing happened he turned to look back at the angry bug lady.

"This is no dream," he finally deduced as Chrysalis tried not to put to much pressure on the hoof she had hit him with. "I am truly chained to a chair that I cannot break free of and there is a strange insect like creature talking to me...AAHHHHH!" His roar nearly blew Chrysalis back as he struggled against his chains again, Chrysalis amazed to see that his raw power might break through her spell.

"Don't be foolish, you cannot escape my magic," Chrysalis gloated as she reinforced the magic, keeping Zangief in the chair.

"What do want with me bug lady? If you wish to fight me, then release me from these chains and I shall show you true Russian might."

"I am Queen Chrysalis and I ask of you to refer to me as such. I do not wish to fight you, I have more important plans," she chuckled as she circled the chair, Zangief trying his best to keep his eyes on her at all times. "A creature such as yourself has never been seen in this land before, be it my wasteland or Equestria. You will make a great bargaining chip."

"I will tell you what. If you release me now and tell me how to get to the homeland, my mother Russia from here, I may consider not piledriving you into the ground," Zangief tried to bargain, but Chrysalis let out a small chuckle as she licked her lips.

"No thank you, I don't want you going anywhere until I've struck a deal. But in the meantime, maybe you can help feed my people for a while," she said sinisterly as she opened her maw.

With the threat of being eaten before him, Zangief pushed against his bonds with all of his muscles. While the chains that held him to the chair refused to submit to his might, the bolts that held the chair to the floor realized how outmatched they were and surrendered immediately. The result was the chair being torn straight out of the ground and allowing Zangief to get to his feet. The moment he realized that he could move he bowled over Chrysalis and sprinted through the doors, despite the fact that the chains still held and the chair was still attached to him.

"And now that thing is on the run in my castle. Great," Chrysalis grumbled as she picked herself up and chased after the Russian, who could move despite his bulk when he needed to. Zangief barreled down the hallways of the dark and green castle, ploughing through more of the insects that tried to either stop him or get out of his way.

'Trapped in a strange new land, with an insect like queen trying to eat me? This is one of the stranger days that I have had, though not the strangest,' Zangief thought to himself as he continued to run, he weight of the chair not even a distraction to the power of his body. He slammed through a door and reached what he hoped was the main room, as a pair of massive doors that were strangely decorated awaited him on the other side of the chamber. But between him and the door stood nearly fifty of the strange insect creatures.

"Only fifty of you?" Zangief asked with a laugh as the creatures prepared to tackle him. "If you are going to try to stop the Red Cyclone, then at least try!" With a yell he rushed into the creatures, crushing the first ten that tried to subdue him with their own strength. The next twenty or so tried to subdue him with numbers, but once they had surrounded him did Zangief pull out all the stops.

"LARIAT!" he yelled as he spun around like a cyclone. Despite having his arms chained to the chair the force of his weight slamming into the changelings was enough to hurl them from him. With them out of the way, he continued to charge through the rest of the creatures, who now ran or got out of his way.

"Hahaha! You should know better than try to match muscle like mine with numbers! I am stronger than any-" He stopped gloating as he charged towards the last changeling that stood before him, but unlike all the other ones this one was far smaller and held a clipboard in it's hooves. But when Zangief caught a quick glimpse of it's eyes he saw fear, the fear of a child.

At the speed he was going no normal man would have been able to avoid the changeling, but Zangief was far from a normal man. His desire to avoid the child fueled his might and he leapt into the air with all of his strength, flying over the small insect and slamming himself chair first into the twin doors on the castle, blasting them open as his weight pushed him through.

"Haha, that will teach you to try and contain me!" Zangief laughed as he rose back to his feet, chuckling with victory despite the chair still being chained to him. "Now I can return to the motherland and..." Once again he stopped talking as he looked down the steps from the castle doors he stood at towards the city, where the streets were filled with the insects.

"Maybe this will not be as easy as I thought."