• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 947 Views, 40 Comments

Mare-Do-Well the Brave and the Bold: Requiem for a Rainbow Speedster - Time Agent pony



Rainbow Dash a.k.a. the Dash, is long gone. Mare Do Well tries to keep the crime in Manehatten down but it seems that Rainbow is still alive and trying to tell Mare Do Well and the other Dashes that this is so.

  • ...
3
 40
 947

A ghost story

Back at Soarin’s house, where there were pictures of him with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo lining the walls. Soarin sat Mare-Do-Well down in his kitchen and poured her a cup of tea and explained what was wrong with Kid Dash.

“Well, you know the official story" Soarin began, "Rainbow Dash 'The Dash', died fighting Lighting Dust, the Reverse Dash” he explained.

“I gather that’s not the whole story” guessed Mare-Do-Well,

“No it's not” Soarin replied, staring into his mug of tea sadly and he went on,
“Rainbow and Lighting were evenly matched so Rainbow called in Scootaloo and myself to take Lighting down once and for all. We chased her all across Equestria, our speed ever increasing. Somewhere over the Equestrian sea we broke the sound barrier and still we accelerated, faster than any of us had gone before. As we approached the sonic rainboom it happened. Our speed opened a rift into another dimension. Before we could react we fell in, Lightning went first so she was the first to suffer its effects. We tried to turn around but there was no solid ground beneath our hooves, no way to slow down. So Rainbow gave Scootaloo and me a great big shove towards the exit. In saving us she doomed herself” he said. “Since then Scootaloo’s been running ragged trying to fill in for Rainbow and blames me for her death” he finished.

Mare-Do-Well put a reassuring hoof on Soarin’s shoulder, “she's young and lashing out” she said.

“That's a comfort” Soarin said thankful for the comment, “If I didn’t think the kid was right” he paused, “Rainbow was still a young Pegasis, not an old Wonderbolt like yours truly. If anypony was going sacrifice themselves, well it should have been me,” he finished sadly.

“That’s your guilt talking” Mare-Do-Well said trying to cheer Soarin up.

“I feel guilty, alright” Soarin said with a bit of a smile, “so guilty in fact I’m cracking up. I’ve been seeing Rainbow everywhere I go, it’s like she’s haunting me”.
Mare-Do-Well finished her tea, “get some sleep Soarin” she said as she was leaving. Outside the house she climbed back into the Maremobile and drove off along the road back to Ponyville. She was just thinking about Soarin’s ghost when she saw a ghostly Pegasis in a scarlet red costume with a rainbow mane come galloping towards her.
She swerved to avoid the Pegasis but she past through the chariot like a ghost. The chariot nearly crashed off the road but just managed to stop in time. Mare-Do-Well jumped from the chariot and looked quickly along the road, there was nothing there.

Mare-Do-Well drove back to Manehatten and told both Soarin and Scootaloo that she wanted to meet them at the Dash museum. Some of the Dash's old enemies things were on display include a poster with the Dash and Soarin with the words, "Race around Equestria" on it.
"You and Soarin, might want shot the breeze but I've got a city to protect" Scootaloo said, crossly

"I don't like her tone, but I agree with the kid on this one" said Soarin, "why'd you have us meet here and what are we looking for?" he continued,

"Didn't Rainbow use that magical treadmill Princess Celestia built for her to access other dimensions and travel through time?" Mare-Do-Well asked,

"Yeah, if I remember correctly, it should be..." Soarin replied, he ran over to where a certain was covering something up.
He pulled it off revealing the treadmill Mare-Do-Well mentioned, "here",

"I encountered Rainbow's ghost" Mare-Do-Well continued, "I suspected this may be picking up her magical ora somewhere through the dimensional void and broadcasting it to us",

"Whoa, hold on" Scootaloo said, "you saw Rainbow's ghost?",

Soarin sighed, "It's my fault" he explained, "I've been seeing Rainbow, and I planted the idea in Mare-Do-Well's head",

"Except you've never mentioned any ghost to me" Scootaloo frowned, "and I've seen it too",

"Why didn't you tell me?" Soarin asked, shocked,

"Why didn't you tell me?" Scootaloo retorted.

"Help...me!" a ghostly voice echoed out of nowhere, preventing Soarin and Scootaloo from arguing any further, all three turned to the ghostly Pegasus Mare-Do-Well had seen before came galloping towards them, "Help me" the ghost said, again.

Mare-Do-Well quickly wiped out her magical tracker before the ghost vanished into thin air.

"I've got a lock on the ghost's resonance wave" she said, after checking the device. She turned to Soarin, "Soarin, can you set the treadmill to match it?" she asked.

Before Soarin could answer, Scootaloo took the device from Mare-Do-Well's hoof, "I've got it" she said. She ran over to the treadmill's control panel and typed in reading from Mare-Do-Well's tracker, "there, now if we ran fast enough the treadmill will send us to wherever the ghost is" she finished.

"Where's that? Tartarus?" Soarin asked,

"What difference does it make?" Scootaloo replied, angrily "Rainbow needs our help! You coming or not?".

Soarin and Mare-Do-Well looked at each other, then they joined Scootaloo on the treadmill,

"Match my pace, kid" Soarin said,

"You match mine, gramps" Scootaloo retorted,

With that, the two speedsters and Mare-Do-Well began to run on the treadmill, Magical energy crackled around them as they went faster and faster, and in a flash the three were propelled into the unknown.