• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 1,299 Views, 10 Comments

It Could Have Been Different - Slywolf930



As i lay here in the hospital, these hallucinations keep me company.

  • ...
2
 10
 1,299

Lunch

Lunch

They say it could have been different.

A few years ago I found out I needed glasses. I had some chronic disease in my eye that would follow me the rest of my life. I don’t even care to remember what it’s called anymore.

After that, I started getting chest pains and migraines. Doctors said it wasn’t serious, but they wanted to run some tests to make sure. It took a month before they gave me my results. I had leukemia.

I like to consider that the beginning of my new life. Like a lot of bronies, I hadn’t told anyone else I watched the show. Knowing I only had a few years to live, I told everyone. I mean everyone. The doctors considered testing me for some mental disease because I kept mentioning it to them.

My parents let me do a lot of things after that. They took me to conventions and the such. They bought me merchandise ‘til I was giggling like a school filly. I even remember they laughed at all my references. They didn’t know what I was referencing, but they laughed anyways.

I had my own nurse for while. She was pretty hot, I’m not gonna lie. She found it cool that I watched the show. She said she watched with her kids all the time, but she wasn’t a ‘fan’ exactly. It’s funny, when you’re dying, nobody makes fun of you for watching a kids show.

Last month the hallucinations started. It started as just glimpses of characters from the show. I would see a pink blob out of the corner of my eye. The next day I would see a blue streak. Excuse me, CYAN streak. She really doesn’t like it when I call her blue. Even though the colored pencils I’ve seen all look like her and they specifically say ‘blue’.

Anyways, I thought it was because I’ve been watching re-run after re-run of the show and I was just seeing things. Then, I started to hear voices about three weeks ago. They were whispers but they were too familiar for me to not know.

The first day I saw one of them directly wasn’t too long ago. Twilight popped up in my hospital room one day and asked how I was feeling. At first I thought it was a dream, but reality was fantasy these days and I didn’t freak out or overreact. I said I was feeling okay considering, and she told me this story about when her mother got sick.

She had to leave before lunch, and then when they allowed visitors, my parents came in. The next day it was Rarity. She changed the sheets on my hospital bed and let more light streak in through the windows. She asked what kind of music I enjoyed, and I told her that I liked almost all music. We had a cup of tea before she had to leave before lunch.

My parents wouldn’t believe me when I told them about the visits. They would get this sad look on their faces and just nod slowly. I told them anyways, cause I thought they might believe me if I told them exactly what happens.

The next day Sweetie Belle showed up. She said Rarity told her I wanted to hear her sing. I closed my eyes and listened to her sing for ages. I must’ve drifted off, cause I woke up at lunch and she was gone. I can still hear a slight melody of her voice. It makes my heart feel warmer when I think about it. She really did have the voice of an angel.

Speaking of Angel, Fluttershy brought him to meet me. He wasn’t a bad guy, like the show depicted him. He was fluffy adorable. Don’t tell him I said that. He tried to sucker punch me when I went in to give him a hug. Fluttershy asked me about what animals I liked, and I told her I had been in the boy scouts. I had to quit because I was hospitalized, but I told her about the animals I saw and she did the same. She gave me a vegetarian sandwich before she left for lunch.

I wasn’t expecting Applejack the next day. She showed up when I woke that morning with Applebloom on her head. I have to say it was adorable how they looked together, but I think that’s mostly because of Applebloom. She was poking my arms and torso and wondering what was wrong with me. Applejack had to pull her aside, probably to talk to her about personal space and personal questions. I didn’t mind. I talked to them about tree climbing and hiking and other boy scouts stuff. They listened quietly and I was glad that they were good listeners. They left early to go help on the farm. I understand.

When Rainbow Dash showed up, I guess I was expecting Scootaloo too, but she was busy doing some scooter practice. Instead, Rainbow dash opened the curtains and went outside to show me some of her tricks. They were amazing, to say the least. When she came back I showered her in compliments. She complimented my physical build, but I could tell she was trying to be nice. Being hospitalized isn’t good for your muscles. She said she’ll race me the next time she saw me and left It lunch.

Pinkie was a different story altogether. She poked my chest until I woke up this morning. When I didn’t open my eyes fast enough, she pulled my eyelid up so I could see her. She had a smile that reflected the sunlight and blinded me. She started jumping around and asking questions that I didn’t have a chance to answer.

When she felt like I’ve been confused enough, she pulled me up from the bed and had me stand up. I’ve been in the hospital for a long time now. My legs were almost giving up on me when I got to my feet. Still, she cheered me on, and I managed to get to the door. The nurse doesn’t show up until some time after lunch, so I smiled and followed pinkie out the front door of the hospital. The doctors didn’t notice me, so I managed to get out easily enough.

Pinkie led me down one of the dirt roads beside the hospital. She let me lean on her as I walked. My eyes took in the sight like the first time I watched that magnificent show. I saw the beautiful ocean that was behind the hospital. I smiled and I took in the sight with a fresh breath. The world really was amazing.

“Don’t you need to get back home before lunch?” I asked pinkie, who had been admiring the scenery in quiet with me.

“Yeah…” Pinkie said. Her voice was sad, but then it perked up.

“Do you want to come with me?” Pinkie asked. She gave me a wide smile and my spirits rose.

“Will I get to meet the others?” I asked. “The ones that I didn’t meet yet?” I was thinking of the background characters and my favorite pony, Luna.

“They’re already waiting for you, silly,” Pinkie said. She turned around and motioned for me to do the same.

I turned my head and looked onto the dirt road. Behind me, I saw Twilight and Applejack and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash and Rarity and… Pinkie? Behind them were the others I’ve adored for a long time now. They were all smiling. Celestia and Luna lowered from the sky and landed in front of me. I felt a spark inside of me.

“Let’s get going, it’s almost time for lunch,” Luna said. They extended their hooves to me and I felt tears stream down my face faster than ever before. I couldn’t utter a response behind my tears and I just nodded my head.
-----------
Beep
Beep
Beeeeeeeeeee-
The doctor shook his head and lifted the sheet over my head. Next to him, my dad was holding my mother, who was crying into his arms.
They say it could have been different.
I’m glad it wasn’t.

Author's Note:

I haven't posted anything recently and I've been feeling bad about it. So I wrote this. I'll do a review of it another day, I need to go to bed right now...

Anyways, Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 10 )

So loving, yet sad. I liked it.

...What..I can't even understand why he is glad...Meh still a great story

wow! I mean... just wow!

That is so sad that really breaks my heart but I guess this was his version of heaven :raritycry::raritydespair: :fluttercry:

my eyes are sweating...

fuck me...that was just..wow

I'm dead inside forever now.
-Jontron

A new life, so to speak.

I'm not crying, you're crying :fluttercry:

Wow. Just wow. I've actually teared up. Bravo, good sir. I applaud you. *slow claps*

Login or register to comment