• Published 21st Oct 2014
  • 7,184 Views, 679 Comments

Discord's Discount Disguises - MythrilMoth



Discord opens a costume shop in Ponyville for Nightmare Night. But is he on the up and up?

  • ...
24
 679
 7,184

Chapter Six: Alright, Who Ordered Zombies?

"What the hay?!"

Zecorpheus cantered away from the grasping hooves of a zombie bursting out of the ground. "Nightmare Moon's Agents are after us!" she declared. She pulled a pair of automatic pistols out of thin air and opened fire; the zombie's skull burst like a ripe melon.

"Agents? These are zombies," the masked mare, Ink Blot, said gruffly. A zombie pony lunged for her; she spun around and bucked its head off. "Hrm. Never fought zombies before. Weird."

"Trust me...they may appear to be zombies, but zombies don't exist! These are Agents! Stay on your guard!"

Four more zombies advanced, moaning raggedly. Grimly, the two mares readied themselves for battle.

* * * * *

Spike finished off his apple brandy and went in search of another bottle. "Dey gotta be summa drink up in here," he muttered.

He found himself in a library. There was a large, glowing mirror set up in the middle of the floor. He took a moment to study himself, adjusting his hat. "Sheeit, got my suit all dirty..."

The mirror rippled, and an amber-coated mare with a poufy red-and-gold mane tumbled out, slamming into him. "Gah! Da fu—"

"Sorry!" the mare said, picking herself up and dusting herself off. Her horn glowed and she set Spike onto his feet. "Spike, is that you? ...what are you wearing? You look like a pimp..."

"Why crazy bitches keep callin' me Spike? I am A PIMP NAMED SCALEBACK! Say it wiff me now!"

"Uhh...okay..." The mare frowned. "So, uhh...is Princess Twilight around? I wanted to give her back these books I borrowed..."

"I ain't seen nobody up in here since I got here," Spike said.

"Well...alright...I guess I'll just...leave these here, and..."

"Hey now, don't rush off!" Spike looked her up and down. "How'd you like to go to work for A Pimp Named Scaleback, sweet thang?"

The mare shuddered. "Yeah. No. Not happening." She frowned. "You're acting...strange."

Spike waved his cane at her. "Don't make me slap you," he said. "Make yourself useful, get me some mo' sip."

The mare groaned in irritation. Her horn glowed, and Spike found himself standing on his head. "Twilight needs to put you in time-out," she said. With a sigh, she added, "Well...as long as I'm in Equestria, I might as well have a look around Ponyville...even if it is night..."

* * * * *

Fluttershy recoiled in terror as six zombies burst out of the ground below her. "This is not okay. This is not okay."

A massive gust of wind swept through the street, sending the zombies flying.

Fluttershy whirled around to see Derpy flying beside her. Only, she looked...strange. For one thing, her eyes were straight. For another, her mane was gone. She was wearing a set of orange robes, and blue arrows had been tattooed from her scalp to the base of her tail (which had been dyed the same shade of blue and pulled straight), and down each leg all the way to her hooves.

"Do you need a hoof here?" Derpy asked. "I mean...I know you've probably got things under control, being a princess and all, but...I'd be happy to help out." She frowned at the crowd of shambling horrors below. "Are those...are those real zombies?"

"I...I think they are, yes. I mean, they came out of the ground, and...I don't think anypony was dressed as a zombie..."

Derpy nodded. "So it's okay if I use firebending on them, right?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

Derpy smiled easily. "Just leave it to me, Your Highness!" She spread her wings and glided down over the crowd. She took a deep breath; flames shot out of her hooves, searing the walking corpses in the streets below.

Fluttershy stared. "Oh...kay then...I'll just...let you handle that."

* * * * *

Bits of zombie flew left and right as Twilight's chainsaw sang. She laughed as she danced through the rain of undead flesh. "Woohoo! Now this is how Nightmare Night is supposed to be!"

Three zombies burst out of a house. She tore into them, reducing them to miscellaneous zombie parts.

Something huge, green, and moaning shambled out of an alley. She readied her chainsaw to attack it...

"Wait!" Flash cried. "I don't think that's a zombie!"

Twilight paused. "Are you sure? It's...it's really grody." She took a second look. "Actually, it's...Flankenstein's monster?" She shrugged. "Eh. Close enough." Her chainsaw roared...

"Twilight, I really don't think you should kill that one," Flash said. "Just...call it a hunch."

Twilight frowned. "Spoilsport."

Flankenstein's monster roared at her, then kicked her across the street. She cried out as she sailed into the side of a building, crashing through the front wall. Twilight groaned as she picked herself up, shaking splinters from her mane. "Okay, that tears it. That green freak is dead! Or deader! Redeaded?" She bolted out the door, chainsaw roaring...

The monster was gone. "AAARGH! GET BACK HERE, YOU...!"

* * * * *

Immediately upon entering Ponyville proper, Sunset Shimmer knew something was horribly wrong.

For one thing, there were zombie ponies everywhere.

"What the hay...?"

Three zombies staggered toward her. A grey pegasus mare swooped down, blasting them away with a tremendous gust of wind.

A yellow mare landed in front of her, pink mane streaming behind her. "Are you alright?" she asked.

"Y-yes, I..." Sunset Shimmer paused, eyes wide. "Fluttershy?"

"Yes...do I know you?" Fluttershy peered at her. "You...look vaguely familiar..."

Sunset Shimmer stared at Fluttershy—or, more to the point, at the long, tapered horn protruding from her forehead. "Uhh...Fluttershy? When did...when did you become an alicorn? I mean...I'm pretty sure you were supposed to be a pegasus..."

Fluttershy blinked. The light of recognition entered her eyes, and she took a hesitant step back. "You're...you're Sunset Shimmer," she said.

"That's right," Sunset Shimmer said. "I just came through the portal to return some library books to Princess Twilight, and decided to have a look around Ponyville..." She frowned as two more zombies appeared behind Fluttershy. With a burst of her own magic, they were sent flying; the grey pegasus swooped down and burned them to ashes. "What the heck's going ON here? And why are you a princess all of a sudden? Are...are the others...?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "Discord did all this," she said. "He sold everypony enchanted Nightmare Night costumes. It's made almost everypony in Ponyville completely crazy." She looked around at the pieces of zombie littering the ground. "I think he must've summoned these zombies too, just to add to the chaos."

"Discord's loose?!" Sunset Shimmer exclaimed, rearing. "Oh my gosh...this is terrible!"

"Oh, Discord's been free for some time now," Fluttershy said. "He's...he's mostly reformed." She frowned. "And...and I'm sure he really did mean all this to be a harmless Nightmare Night prank. It's just...sometimes, Discord's idea of fun...is a little more than most ponies can handle."

Sunset Shimmer raised an eyebrow. "Okay..."

"Would...would you mind helping me?" Fluttershy asked. "I'm...kind of trying to...sort of...sort this mess out..." She briefly explained exactly what Discord had done, and the effects she'd witnessed so far.

Sunset Shimmer's eyes shrank to pinpricks. "Wow. That's...and you say he's reformed?!"

"Yes. We're friends." Fluttershy crossed her eyes and peered up at her horn. "My being an alicorn tonight was his idea. I think...I think he knew his prank would get out of hoof, and wanted me to..."

"Yeah, you're obviously the best choice to handle something like this," Sunset Shimmer muttered, shaking her head. She took a deep breath. "Okay. What do you need me to do?"

"Don't forget about me!" the grey pegasus said, landing next to them. "I wanna help too!"

Fluttershy started. "Oh. Umm...okay. You...can help by doing what you're already doing. Deal with this...zombie mess...please?"

"Can do!" the pegasus launched herself into the air, soaring off into town.

"And you...well...for the moment, you can help me track down Applejack. She, umm...apparently, she decided to dress up as a succubus. I think...she's been...doing something bad to stallions..."

Sunset Shimmer's eyes bugged out. "Applejack? A...a succubus?" She doubled over laughing. "Oh Celestia, that's...that's too hilarious!" At Fluttershy's mild glare, she forced herself to sober up. "Ahem. I mean...wow. That's...pretty bad. We should...definitely find her." Snickering, she followed Fluttershy into the heart of Ponyville. "Man, I am so glad I picked tonight of all nights to drop by..."

* * * * *

"The ghost went in here," Apple Bloom said, examining the hoofheld specter scanner she carried.

"Uhh...is it me, or is something...weird about the town?"

"There's been something weird about this place since we got here," Apple Bloom said absently. "All we have to do is spank this spook, and everything'll be..."

The door to the boutique exploded. The ghost they had been tracking flew out, screaming her head off. Three zombies trotted out after her, moaning and groaning.

"THERE SHE IS!" Scootaloo exclaimed, opening fire with her capture streamer.

"Watch out!" Apple Bloom yelled, tackling her out of the way as a zombie tried to grab her.

The ghost's horn glowed, and the zombies were sent flying by a green flash of ecto magic. The ghost's horn glowed more brightly, and several spears of ice lanced out, ripping into zombie flesh.

Apple Bloom sprang to her hooves, capture wand at the ready. "Stay back, ghost!"

"Are you KIDDING ME?" the ghost screeched, hooves on her hips. "I just saved your lives! I am NOT a bad ghost! I'm a GOOD ghost!"

"There are good ghosts?" Scootaloo asked, scratching her head.

"Look...just..." the ghost massaged her temples with her hooves. "You see these zombies? Why don't you try using those insanely destructive weapons of yours to set those stupid things on fire, instead of blowing up half the town trying to hit me for no good reason?"

Five more zombies shambled into view from behind the boutique.

The two Spook Spankers looked at one another, shrugged, and opened fire on the zombies. Their temporary ghostly ally joined in.

* * * * *

"Hey there, handso—oh, you're a zombie, nevermind. Ew."

* * * * *

Lucha Mayor glared intently at the horde of shambling undead making their way up the street. "¡Quietos ahí, bola de engendros! Ahí les va lo bueno!" She launched herself at the nearest zombie, seizing it around the neck. "¡Quebradora voladoraaaaa!" Up and over it went, slammed powerfully into the ground; it fell apart with a sad moan. "¡Lárguense de mi pueblo!" she cried as she grabbed another zombie, flinging it into the crowd behind her, where more ponies were tearing apart zombies left and right. It fell victim to the roaring chainsaw of the strangely-dressed mare with the talking severed head hanging from her skirt.

More zombies surrounded her, moaning.

"¡Vénganse, a ver si muy machos!" With a mighty roar, she dove into the mass of zombies, hooves flailing. "¡Feliz día de muertos!"

* * * * *

"Yada yada! Kowai na mon! Kimochi warui!" Octavia ran around in circles, wailing at the top of her lungs.

"Shikkarishite, Seiraa Merodi!" Vinyl yelled as she threw a brace of roses at the zombies, freezing them in their tracks. "Ima da!"

"Hai!" Octavia removed her tiara. "MERODI TIARA BUUMERAN!" Her attack tore through several zombies, reducing them to ashes.

* * * * *

Badgerella shredded another zombie. A tendril of Mane-iac's mane snaked around her leg, hauling her up. "Hey! Do you mind? I kinda got my hooves full here! I'll kick your hairy hinny hiney later!"

"OhohohoOOOOOHOOOOHOOOHAAAHAAHAAAAA! But if I let these disgusting undead things SNIP those beastly claws of yours, you'll be out of my HAIR for good!"

Badgerella swung around and severed the hair holding her with her claws, then launched herself at the Mane-iac. "Listen, bub," she snarled as she pressed her claws against the Mane-iac's throat, "you've got two choices: you can either help us deal with this zombie mess, or I can perform a tracheotomy you probably won't live through."

Mane-iac swallowed nervously. "E-even if I...would ever help...a hero...there's no way I'm getting zombie guts in my glorious mane..."

"So don't use your mane! You've got a horn, don'tcha?"

"Wh-what are you talking about?"

Badgerella snarled and levitated a mirror out of her utility belt, holding it up so the Mane-iac could see. "That right there! Did you forget you had it under that mess of ugly you call hair?"

Mane-iac blinked. "I...what?"

A tentative burst of magic sent Badgerella flying.

Mane-iac stood, peering up at her long, sharp horn. She turned to her side, examining her flanks...and the enormous, feathery wings that hung there. "Oh my. This is more invigorating than a new herbal conditioner..."

She looked all around herself at the chaos of ponies fighting zombies. Her horn lit up.

A blinding golden beam of light lanced out, splitting into dozens of beams, which sliced through every zombie present, setting them ablaze.

Mane-iac threw her head back and let out a long, loud, whooping laugh. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LISTEN UP, PATHETIC PONY PEONS! LOOK UPON YOUR NEW SUPREME RULER! LOOK UPON THE ALL-POWERFUL QUEEN MANE-IAC!! BOW BEFORE ME, OR YOU WILL HAVE A BRUSH WITH DOOM!!"

All around the square, various ponies cowered, shuffled their hooves, or screamed.

Mare-Do-Well trotted up to Badgerella and punched her in the face. "You idiot," she rasped.