• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 3,852 Views, 518 Comments

DayBreak - MyHobby



After an attempt is made on Celestia's life, Twilight Sparkle must assemble a team to track down the assassin and bring her to justice. Danger awaits as they delve into the origins of both the attacker and alicorns.

  • ...
12
 518
 3,852

Silence

Fog coated Ponyville in the early morning hours. Dew coated the brown, fallen leaves and glistened in the faint lamppost light. The leaves rasped underfoot as Care Carrot barreled through the town, leaving her clamoring thoughts in her wake. The streets grew more familiar after every run, allowing her the luxury of navigating by instinct. This morning, her instincts took her downtown.

Few ponies were out before the sun came up. There was a maintenance pony working on the main square’s fountain. The was a street sweeper freeing the road of debris. There was the lamplighter moving on her appointed rounds, extinguishing the street lights.

The sun peered over the horizon. It bobbed as if it was still asleep and begging for five more minutes. Care stopped to lean against the steps leading up to City Hall. She wasn’t sweating, thanks to the cool autumn air, but she was still breathing heavily.

“Killing Hurricane won’t make me feel better, huh?” She snorted, pulling her ponytail out from under her jacket’s neck. “Who said I wanted to?”

She had, of course. Just after the first attack. She promised that she’d make Hurricane pay for what she’d done to the princess, to her squad, to herself. That blasted cutie mark still swirled on the edge of consciousness: The spiraling clouds with the empty center. Heartless and turbulent. An uncontrollable storm.

And now everypony wanted to tell her that it was wrong? Wrong to put Hurricane out of everybody’s misery?

She leaned her knee against a higher step and rested her forehead in her hoof. Her tail thrashed behind her as she gritted her teeth.

“You finished early this mornin’.”

Care opened her pinkish eyes. “Applejack.”

Applejack, Lord Mayor of Ponyville, sat beside Care. She tightened her cravat and watched the maintenance pony bring the fountain to life. “You’re lookin’ like you sat on a nest of bees. At which point they insulted your manestyle.”

Care pulled her lips tight. “I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“No?” Applejack tipped her hat back. “Funny place to stop by if’n you don’t feel like talkin’. Seems that’s all anypony does around City Hall.”

“I wasn’t thinking where I was going.”

“Right. Just trottin’ wherever your fancy takes you?” Applejack flexed the muscular Kicks McGee. “Your legs musta thought you needed to stop by. They’re smarter than they let on, you know.”

Care rolled her eyes.

Applejack let out a dry chuckle. “So that wasn’t as wise as it sounded in mah head, but ah mean it when ah say you came here for a reason.”

“Yeah?” Care sat up. Her back cracked in a few spots as she stretched. “I’m not so sure.”

Applejack frowned, her ears falling below the brim of her hat. She shook her head gently. “You’re angry, Sugarcube.”

“No horseapples?” Care grunted. “I might be a wee bit peeved, yes.”

Applejack nodded. Her long, blonde mane slid off of her shoulder. “You need to talk about it. Gotta get it off your chest before it punches a hole in it.”

“Talking about it.” Care scraped her hoof along the wooden steps. “Talking about it just makes me madder. And nothing’s gonna change that until the assassin is taken down for good.”

A bird sang at the edge of town, greeting the morning. Applejack’s ears twitched at the sound. She winced. “Bein’ angry ain’t gonna help nothin’.”

“Being angry is a great motivator,” Care snapped. She rolled a hoof in the air. “When ponies get angry, things get done. Things get changed. Things move forward.”

Applejack clicked her tongue. “Things fall outta control.”

Care stomped a hoof. “If you’re not angry, you’re not paying attention!”

Applejack brought her forelegs close to her chest. She brushed her hooves against her orange coat. “Ah am mad.”

She pulled her hat from her head and let it flop to the ground. “Ah’m madder than ah’ve been in a long, long time. Mah friends are hurt, the pony responsible is free, an’ the entire world is just tumblin’ sideways. Ah ain’t been this mad since—”

Care and Applejack looked at each other. Care’s eyebrows were level, her ears laid back. Applejack’s eyes were red, holding back tears.

“When mah parents died,” Applejack said, “ah got real mad. Ah left mah home just to try an’ get away. Ah was mad at the animals, the doctors, the crops, even mah own family. Ah just wanted to forget it all.”

The fierce coals burning in Care’s eyes cooled. She bowed her head, condolences running through her mind. She opened her mouth to say one to Applejack, but stopped when she saw the mare.

Applejack held her head high, watching the sun rise gradually into the sky. Her eyes dried, the tears unshed. “Went to Manehattan, stayed with mah aunt and uncle. An’ it never fit. Ah wasn’t made for that life. Ah was miserable, an’ ah didn’t have nopony to talk to about it. Ah’d left ’em all back on the farm.”

Applejack rested a hoof on Care’s shoulder. “Ah isolated mahself and wallowed in mah own loneliness.”

Care swallowed hard. She brushed a green bang out of her eyes. “Wh—what happened?”

“Ah pulled mah head outta mah butt.” Applejack choked and laughed at the same time. “Saw a beautiful rainbow one day, headin’ straight home. Ah realized what an idiot ah’d been, realized ah missed the ponies ah cared about. Ran all the way from Manehattan to Ponyville in two days.”

She pointed at her cutie mark. “Ah promised mahself that ah’d never again forget what mah family means to me, an’ that ah’d never forget the place ah called home. That’s why there’s three apples. One for lil’ Apple Bloom, one for Big McIntosh, an’ one for…”

Applejack’s chest deflated as she let out a wheeze. “For the granny that ain’t here no more.”

She licked her lips and tilted her head to the side. “Ah am angry, Care. Ah’m one o’ the angriest ponies you’ll happen to meet. Maybe ah’ve got a right to be, too. But bein’ angry never helped me none. It was the ponies who loved me, they’re the ones who made life livable again.”

She sucked in a quick breath and released it with a shrug of her shoulders. “Who do you care about, Care?”

Care’s mouth fell open. She looked at Applejack’s face for a quiet, still moment. She fought to voice the words in her heart. A tear rolled down her cheek. “I don’t know.”

Applejack’s face fell, her eyes jumping to the mare beside her. She scootched closer and wrapped her foreleg around Care’s shoulders.

“I—I’m not like you, Applejack,” Care choked. “I didn’t fit in with my folks. I’m… I’m a unicorn soldier in a family of earth pony farmers. I left to make a name for myself. A name besides ‘Carrot.’ W-we don’t even know each other anymore.”

“Blood’s thicker than water, so they say.” Applejack squeezed Care close. “If you make the effort, you could make it right.”

Care hunched over, shaking her head slowly.

Applejack looked down at the mare, her mouth a thin line. “Alright, then. Answer me this: Who cares about you, Care?”

Care lifted her face. “I’m… sorry?”

“Who, out of the people you know, care about how you’re doin’?” Applejack prodded her chest. “Dig deep and think. Who loves you, or thinks kindly of you, or goes out of their way to help you? You gotta have some.”

Care lowered her head back down with a light scowl. The glum expression faded as her ears stood straight up. “Celestia.”

“That’s right.” Applejack patted the mare’s back. “Who else?”

“Well… there’s you?” Care gave Applejack a small smile.

“Darn tootin’!” Applejack grinned, wiping salt from her cheeks. “See? You ain’t alone, Care. You got ponies in your corner! Anypony else?”

“There’s Caution Tape, and there’s…” Care rubbed her foreleg. A tiny whine jumped from her throat. “Blankety Blank.”

Applejack lowered an eyebrow. “Who?”

“He’s… a friend.” Care cleared her throat. “A friend I need to apologize to really dang soon.”

“That’s part of healing, Sugarcube.” Applejack yawned and stretched her legs out. She scrambled to her hooves and returned her hat to its proud perch. “Learn from mah mistakes, Care. Don’t let yourself get torn away and all alone. Stick with your friends. Be a friend. In the end, you’ll be stronger for it. You’ll be more ready to face the day.”

She pouted her lips in thought, then clicked her hooves together. “Say, tonight’s the big Ponyville Nightmare Night Extravaganza. Ponies from all over town are settin’ up games and music and stuff. You should take a bit to relax, just for tonight. Leave the investigating for tomorrow.”

She winked. “You already have the Radiance costume.”

Care rubbed the back of her neck. She cracked a grin. “I’d have to see what the team’s doing.”

“Ponyville will be here when you’re ready.” Applejack chucked Care’s shoulder. “An’ ah’ll be here if’n you need to talk.”

“Thanks, Applejack.” Care wobbled to her feet. She slid her hoof across the wood steps, nudging tiny fallen acorns around. “It… really does mean a lot.”

Applejack tipped her hat. “Ah know it does, Sugarcube. Ah know it.”

***

Daring Do’s hooves pounded the sandbag mercilessly. The sharp impacts echoed through the castle’s gym. Her mane stuck to her face and covered her harsh gaze. Each blow was accompanied by a strained grunt.

“Stupid.”

Whap.

“Stupid.”

Thwack.

“Stupid!”

The bag rocked on its tether, swinging out of her reach. Her next punch carried her over and down, sending her to the ground. She lay down beside the sandbag, just resting her cheek against the cool floor mat.

She tested her wing by stretching it out to its full length. A minute later, the strain on her tendons was too much. She brought it back to her side with a hiss of pain.

She lifted herself to her feet to face the bag. She glared at it, then hit it with a mean right hook.

It wobbled and returned to ignoring her.

Her ears swiveled as she caught the presence of somepony else in the room. She peered over her shoulder, sending magenta eyes to the entrance. She sighed, nodding at the gray-coated unicorn in the doorway. “Hi, Velvet.”

She rested her forehead against the sandbag. “Here to tell me ‘I told you so’?”

Soft hoofsteps carried Twilight Velvet across the room. She took up position behind the sandbag, holding it tight with her forelegs. She met Daring’s eyes with a faint shake of her head.

“You need me to say that like you need a hole in the head,” Velvet said.

Daring Do pulled her mane out of her eyes. She held Twilight Velvet’s gaze and smiled. “Yeah, well, you should say it,” Daring chuckled.

“Less talking, more punching.” Velvet wiggled the bag. “We’ve got a lot of frustration to work out before we start our study session.”

Daring Do wound her hoof back. “Whadda yah mean, ‘we’?”

“You’re hardly the first pony to want to punch something, Daring.” Twilight Velvet wrinkled her muzzle and winked. “Get kicking, or it’s gonna be my turn.”

Daring nodded. She hit the sandbag with swift, solid punches, cushioned by Velvet’s steady grip. They exercised without a word for most of the day, taking turns relieving stress with the punching bag.

***

Rainbow Dash pulled the cloud veil aside, revealing a world grown from crystal. The breath caught in her throat, just as it always did when she saw the Crystal Empire from the air. The city glittered and glistened in a kaleidoscopic display, slightly distorted by a protective magic dome. It would have been blinding under direct sunlight, but the low-hanging sun cast a gentle, warm shine.

She flew back to the airship and grasped a rope, allowing herself to hang in midair. She stared straight down at the cold hills far below. Crystal ewes pranced, their translucent bodies reflecting like stained-glass windows on the fluffy white snow.

She laughed and kicked off of the ship’s envelope. She arced downwards and swung around to fly alongside the gondola. “Ahoy the ship! Clear skies all the way!”

“Promises, promises,” Skyhook muttered. He held a hoof beside his mouth. “Acknowledged, Captain Dash!”

He stood in the midst of barely-controlled chaos. Soldiers and sailors alike scrambled to tidy up last-minute activities, getting in each other’s way and treading on each other’s hooves. The mad scramble was only outdone by the constant chatter.

The sound of Blueblood shouting into the crystal radio rose above the din. “Blast it, Cadence, we’re asking for a place to land, not a parade! What do you mean we need to assume a holding position? I know this is short notice, but— It’s our aunt, you impossible alicorn! Don’t you dare play the ‘frazzled, overworked princess’ card with me, I know of your trickery.”

Skyhook sighed and pushed his way through the crowd. Once he had reached Blueblood’s side, he regretted that particular decision. The white-coated unicorn slammed a hoof down on the countertop. “No, I am not hung over! I’ve been sober since we took flight, if it’s any business of yours! Give us a ruddy landing strip!”

Blueblood covered the mouthpiece and sent a searing glare Skyhook’s way. “There’s no place for us to land because the air harbor is crowded with tourist ships. They’re here for Nightmare Night. Of all holidays! Why would anypony in their right mind come to the Empire for Nightmare Night?

Skyhook held his leathery wings upward to avoid bumping the bustling passengers. “Maybe they aren’t here for Nightmare Night. Maybe they’re here for the same reason we are. Safety.”

Blueblood blew a weak breath between his lips. “Very well, then. I see your point.” He raised the mouthpiece and spoke in a voice just loud enough to hear over the hullaballoo. “Cadence, would you kindly let us know when a spot has opened up? And make sure the doctors are ready for our charges. Thank you.”

He tossed the mouthpiece back to the radio operator, who fumbled with it in her hooves before finally getting a grip. “Sky’s Limit over and out,” she said.

Blueblood settled down into a chair on the overcrowded observation deck. He looked out over the city as the airship maneuvered into a steady orbit. He eyed the spires of ruby, sapphire, and quartz, all mingling together to form a sight few could forget. The Crystal Palace sat at the epicenter of the Empire, rising into the sky, overlooking all. A rainbow contrail zipped past his vision, drawing him out of his reverie. “Home again, home again?”

A shout from across the deck stung his ears. He slapped his forehead, fighting against the beginnings of a headache. “Hardly the time for a quiet, introspective moment.”

“Sorry, Your Highness, did you say somethin’?”

Blueblood brought his head around. The pony that had spoken was an earth pony guard, coated from head to hooves in gleaming golden armor. A moment’s thought put a name to the face: Caution Tape of Celestia’s personal guard. Blueblood shook his head. “Not especially. I just feel a bit odd being here, is all.”

Caution leaned towards the window to take a look. “Izzit the circumstances or the location?”

“A little of both.” Blueblood raised an eyebrow. “How would you feel visiting the source of your family’s abdication?”

“Abdication, sir?”

“The reason the line of Princess Platinum no longer rules Equestria.” Blueblood stood up, placing a hoof against the pane. “The disappearance. That was the moment the alicorns took command, in a sense. That was the moment they proved themselves worthy.”

“Well…” Caution stood at attention. “Oi wouldn’t discount your leadership skills, Your Highness.”

Blueblood chuckled. “It’s your job not to discount them.”

“Caution Tape!” Skyhook shouted. He bobbed over the heads of the ponies closing in on him. “I need you to help bring these ponies to order!”

Caution raised a hoof. “Right away.”

Blueblood gave him a nod. “Keep my aunt safe. Thank you.”

“It’s my honor, sir,” Caution said as he trotted away.

Blueblood pulled his mane back, tying the long, blond locks into a loose ponytail. He moved around the edge of the observation deck, his head low as he mulled through his thoughts. His brow furrowed as he focused on the tall tower once more. Historically, it was his kingdom down there.

Legally, on the other hoof…

He collided with something blue head-on, something that yelped and pushed him back. Two hooves rammed into his chest and knocked him onto his bottom. The air left his chest in a whoosh, leaving an aching, painful void that screamed to be filled. He clutched his throat as his eyes popped.

“Watch where you’re going, creep!” Rainbow Dash snapped. Her loud voice echoed in his head. “You’re not getting away with any funny business with me!”

After an agonizing moment, his lungs refilled. His voice cracked. “I meant nothing!

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes to a sharp slit. “Yeah, sure.”

“Honestly, I merely wasn’t paying attention.” He waved one hoof while the other rubbed his temple. “Just… lost in my thoughts.”

Rainbow scowled. “Next time keep your nose outta my feathers.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Blueblood said. “I know of far less painful ways to get myself killed.”

Rainbow pursed her lips, the gears turning in her mind, until she let out a guffaw. “’Kay. Whatever.”

“I wasn’t expecting to run into you.” Blueblood stared into space. He rubbed his eyes. “Naturally. I mean that I thought you were outside, enjoying the view.”

“I was, but they won’t let me through Shining’s barrier unless I’m inside an airship.” She furled her wings, a glum expression on her face. “So, yay, windows.”

Blueblood watched as the airship approached the edge of the magic bubble. “Security is strict these days.”

“Yeah. Feels like you can’t even eat an apple unless it’s been tested by an army of alchemists.” Rainbow Dash pointed a wing to where Skyhook was waving his forelegs. “Looks like you’re wanted.”

There’s a new experience.” Blueblood flicked his tail as he walked through the crowd. Rainbow Dash followed close behind, hovering just overhead. The soldiers parted to let the prince through, standing at attention. Skyhook stood at the radio, his hoof on the receiver.

“It’s Princess Cadenza. She says she’ll only speak with you,” Skyhook said. “Something about a pass-code only certain ponies know?”

Blueblood’s eye twitched. His horn glowed blue to grasp the mouthpiece from the commander. “Cadence, don’t do this. You know it’s me. You were speaking to me just a mome— I am not holding up progress, you are. Just tell us where to land, and—”

Blueblood gritted his teeth. “‘Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake’”—he kept his voice quiet, running through the rhyme as fast as his tongue could manage—“‘clap your hooves and do a little shake.’ There. It’s me. Where’s our Creator-forsaken platform?”

They were directed through the barrier and into the city. One of the first additions to the Crystal Empire after its return had been public transportation services. The train station had been first, followed by the aerial harbor. The harbor was a series of landing strips ready to accommodate anything from the largest cargo dirigible to the smallest hot air balloon. Magically-charged crystal lights lined the runways, visible from miles up in the atmosphere. Crystal ponies directed luggage cart traffic with shimmering hooves.

Away from the main runway, beside the Crystal Palace, a smaller landing platform had been constructed. It was reserved for either visiting diplomats or friends of the Princess and Prince of the Empire. Carriages already waited to carry the secret passengers of Blueblood’s vessel to the tower, where they would be safe.

Hopefully, Blueblood thought.

Though the platform itself had been clear since before they arrived, the skies were full of bulging balloons and spinning propellers. Airships clouded the sky as they waited for their chance to land. The hair on the back of Blueblood’s neck stood up when a blimp maneuvered too close, before it was pushed back by crystal pegasus guards.

“You know it’s bad when there’re traffic jams in the sky,” Rainbow Dash muttered.

Down on the ground, beside a squad of soldiers in full armor, stood Prince Shining Armor. He gave the Royal Guards a nod, and the pegasi jumped up to guide the ship toward the platform. Earth ponies caught thrown ropes to weigh the airship down, while unicorns tied secure knots. A gangplank was lowered, giving the passengers the opportunity to flood out of the gondola. Rainbow Dash gave Shining a wave and hovered near the doorway, so that she would be close when her friend was moved.

Blueblood waited until most of the passengers had disembarked before making his way down the ramp. “Shining Armor, it’s an honor, as always.”

“I’d like to save the pleasantries for later, if you don’t mind.” Shining bowed his head briefly. “I want to get our charges to the infirmary as soon as possible. The assassin has a habit of popping up unexpectedly.”

“Of course.” The throb in Blueblood’s forehead flared up. “If you’ll excuse me, I’d rather not see my aunt in her condition. I’ll be in my carriage.”

Shining Armor frowned, a glint of pain flashing in the corner of his eye. He swallowed before answering. “I see. Be my guest. We’ll reach the castle shortly.”

Blueblood’s hooves tapped against the crystal road as he approached an opulent, gilded coach. He glanced over his shoulder, catching sight of two beds being rolled towards medical carts. A brief flash of a white wing stung his eyes. He turned back to the carriage and pulled the door open before the coachee could let him in. The driver shrugged and strapped himself into the harness.

Once inside, Blueblood pulled the curtains closed and gave his head a rest from the multicolored surroundings. He settled back into his cushions, closing his eyes and letting out a deep sigh of relief.

Bonjour, husband.”

Blueblood brayed as his body bolted upright. A thin, delicate mare sat across from him, her violet eyes half-lidded. She gave her mane a flick with her hoof. “You look tired,” she said.

Blueblood let out a phlegmy cough before sitting back down. The coach lurched beneath them as they moved out. “What are you doing here?”

Fleur De Lis wrapped a lavender shawl around her shoulders. She played with the tassels absently. “You mean here in this carriage, or just in general?”

“I didn’t tell you where I was going.” Blueblood leaned his head towards her, his eyes narrowing. “How did you know to come to the Crystal Empire?”

Fleur scoffed. “I have a life, Blueblood. I do not need to follow you around like a lost puppy.” Her horn glowed. Her magic tilted the curtain aside to give her a view of the crystalline city. She sent him a sideways glance, her face softening. “Ze princesses of Equestria have come under fire, Blueblood. I was afraid I was next. I came to Cadence hoping for a safe haven, and she offered one to me.”

She sighed, closing the blinds. “Even though ze assassin probably wouldn’t look at me twice.”

Blueblood nodded. He scuffed a hoof on the seat cushion. “Well… I’m glad you’re here, safe. I would hate to return to Equestria to…” The headache rumbled beneath his eyes. He pressed his hooves against the side of his head. “I’m sorry I didn’t think of it.”

Fleur tilted her head back. She let out a tiny giggle. “Are you sober?”

“Barely.” Blueblood rubbed his cheek. “I didn’t want to make any mistakes on the voyage up here. You have been apprised of my aunt and Twilight’s situation?”

Fleur’s ears angled down. “Oui. Once I arrived, Cadence told me they were on their way.” She nibbled the tip of her hoof. “I spoke with ze doctor. He is an eccentric individual, but he might just know what he’s doing. Breezies usually are as such.”

Blueblood said nothing. He settled against the headrest, his eyes closed and his hoof gently massaging his face.

Fleur cleared her throat. “Have ze migraines returned? I could order you a drink when we reach the palace—”

“No. No, just some… mild painkillers, I suppose.” One of Blueblood’s eyes popped open. “I need to remain alert. At least until the princesses get settled in.”

Fleur rolled her eyes, shaking her head all the while. “Oh, oui, being zonked on painkillers is much preferred to being soused with liquor.”

“What would you suggest, dearest?” Blueblood blew a lock of mane off his nose. “Pray tell, how would you handle it?”

Fleur’s forehead wrinkled. She turned away from him and swished her tail. “I never know what to suggest, husband. I never do.”

“Then we’ll handle it the way we always have,” Blueblood said. “The path of least resistance.”

The rest of the ride to the palace was in complete silence, broken only by an occasional groan of pain from Blueblood and soft sigh from Fleur.

***

The bartender raised his head as the door clomped open. The new customer wore a long cloak to shield them from the crisp fall wind. A wide-brimmed hat concealed their head, protecting them from a sun that hadn’t quite risen yet. The pony walked purposefully to a specific table in the corner and sat down facing the door.

The owner of the tavern came out of the back room, rubbing his eyes. “Hey, get outta here. The bar doesn’t open for another—”

“Hold up, boss,” the bartender said, cleaning out a mug. “I’ll handle this.”

The owner’s moustache bristled. After a moment’s consideration, his eyes blinked rapidly. “You mean she’s—?”

“Like I said, I’ll handle it.” The bartender poured two drinks and slid a tray onto his back. The owner returned to the other room with a quick patter of his hooves.

The bartender dropped a glass before the cloaked pony. He plopped into the seat opposite her, sipping his beverage. “I didn’t expect to see you around.”

The pony removed her hat, revealing a gray mane. She adjusted her glasses to sit a little ways down her nose, so that she could see over them. She glanced at her drink and scoffed. “We need to have a talk, Scuttlebutt.”

Scuttlebutt leaned his foreleg over the back of his chair. He took another swig. “I never realized you cared, Merry.”

Merry Mare slapped a hoof against the table. “What do you think you’re doing here, Scuttlebutt?”

“Following Dulcimer’s orders while staying close.” He ran a hoof across his brown chest, giving her a cheese-eating grin. “Where once was cream hair is now brown. While once I was short and scraggly, now I am tall and thin. What once was a private aide is now an anonymous bartender.”

“You’re darn right you’re close,” Merry hissed. “Too close. It isn’t safe to have so many of us in Ponyville at once.”

“You wouldn’t even have noticed me if I hadn’t told you I was coming.” He flicked his eyes to her untouched glass. “You aren’t exactly a regular patron here.”

Merry gritted her teeth. With slow, smooth motions, she removed her glasses, folded them, and set them on the table. She crossed her forelegs. “I am about to be very frank with you, Scuttlebutt, and you are going to appreciate the horseapples out of it.”

She reached a hoof across the table and touched his leg. She hummed a soft tune.

His entire body seized up. He trembled, slumping in his chair. His eyes grew wide and his complexion grew pale as he stared into her face.

She smiled. “We are entering a very crucial, very delicate stage of the plan. Celestia has been all but neutralized, yes, but we don’t know for how long. Luna has lost her sanity, and Equestria won’t survive long under her rage. Twilight could come out of her coma at any time. We have to act now.”

She growled under her breath. “Frankly, I’m not too impressed with Hurricane’s track record. The only permanent solution is to release our master from the mirrors. The only way to get these mirrors is to strike while the iron is hot.”

Drool dribbled down Scuttlebutt’s cheek. A low whine escaped his throat.

She released him. He slumped headfirst into the table. “I need your help, Scuttlebutt,” Merry said. “And I need it without any clever quips, without any slip-ups, without any interspecies vendettas with changelings...

Scuttlebutt regained enough motor function to look up.

Merry Mare slid her glass over to his side of the table. “You are going to do as I say, exactly as I say it, or I will send you back to Beefland in pieces. Do you understand?”

After a minute of listening to his moans, she scowled. “Blink once for ‘yes.’”

He blinked.

“Oh, goodie.” Merry brought her mouth close to Scuttlebutt’s twitching ear. “I’ll send a message to Zephyr about where Hurricane’s target is. She’ll be grabbing the highest-profile mirror. You need to grab Celestia’s shard from the palace.”

Panic set in on Scuttlebutt’s slack features.

“Calm down. You’re a wight. You can disguise yourself and nopony will know it’s you.” Merry smirked. “As you, yourself, explained just a few seconds ago.”

She gave him a light tap. He slid off the table and thumped to the ground. “I expect you to get the operation moving as soon as you can. All of Equestria is counting on you. No pressure.”

She touched a yellow gemstone hanging from her neck. She opened her mouth and sang quiet but strong notes. “Ahh-ah-ah, ahhh-ah.

Her hat lifted from the table on golden, shimmering currents of magic. It flew across the table to land on her head. She pulled her cloak tight and threw the door open, while Scuttlebutt struggled to lift himself to his seat.

Me and you, you and me
We’ll get the mirrors together
Soon they’ll have to see
We’re ponykind’s saviors

Ex-Mayor Merry Mare gazed up at the low sun, setting her spectacles in place.

We must avoid
Every little indiscretion
Our only hope
Is our Master’s resurrection!