• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 559 Views, 9 Comments

The Legend of The Nightmare - reading is magic



An unknown pony had written details about Princess Luna's transformation a thousand years ago.

  • ...
6
 9
 559

To My Only Dearest Friend

I will now tell you a tale no one else has ever heard, a tale that possibly only Celestia knows and even now remembers with much distraught.

The truth of how Luna became Nightmare Moon.

Now you ask of me why I would know such story, but the answer is easy; I was there.

It took place time where Celestia and Luna were rulers of the newly formed Equestria. The three races, unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies united after decades of intolerance and hatred. Upon seeing that they needed a leader who did not belong to any of their clans, they went to the alicorns. Not only they were not of any of their races, but they were also powerful and immortal, and an immortal leader is surely to benefit them.

Starswirl The Bearded was the one who approached the powerful ones, asking for their leadership and guidance. Celestia was only two centuries old, but to the ponies, she was old enough. Her little sister, Luna, was only five decades old. The older one accepted the offer, while the younger reluctantly went along.

With responsibilities of leadership given to them, the sisters also received the responsibility for the sun and the moon. Starswirl gave Celestia the sun; Luna was given the moon.

Celestia was a great leader; she lead all to prosperity and with wisdom became the most respected pony. Luna, however, was the opposite. She was not a politic, and was not prepared for tasks of a revered leader. She was more of a free spirit, playful even. Yet, she would pursue to be just like her sister.

Celestia held day court, with Starswirl by her side, being her advisor. The day court was flocked with ones seeking power and they would speak their way to attain royal power. Celestia was not a fool, however.

While the white alicorn gave Equestria prosperity and a bright tomorrow, she was what one would call a gentle tyrant. Celestia ruled with an iron fist; anyone who would object to her rules would never see the light of her sun. Few had disappeared.

Luna held the night court. The night court was silent, and nobody came to it, for they would be sleeping. Another reason was that they thought it was Celestia who held true power, not Luna. This did not discourage the night ruler; instead, she strived to become even better at her royal manners, eventually picking up the Royal We.

Weeks have passed, and Celestia had made a few ponies ’missing’ after seeing through their lies. Her court attendants were true to their words and they became part of her staff. She ruled the day with grace with ruthless judgment. Her subjects loved her, even with her controversial gossips.

I had asked Luna about it, and she assured me they weren’t killed. Even though I found it was hard to believe, I trust her word even now.

Luna, within those weeks that had passed, started to have children come to her court. The first one to come to her court was a filly, asking the moon princess to relieve her of nightmares. Luna was surprised at her first guest, not knowing what to do. She began to converse with the child, in her Royal We. The child found it amusing, and soon, they became friends. Not long, each night there would come children, looking for the kind princess to be friends with. Even with her attempts to be strict with the children, it only brought them closer.

After those weeks, her court became what others’ would call ‘the court of the children’.

A week later, I arrived at Princess Luna’s night court. Children were everywhere, and the princess herself would play with them, talk with them, and laugh with them. It was like she were a mother. When I saw her, my mind lost its track, momentarily forgetting about what I came there for.

Upon seeing my presence, the princess immediately stood up with grace and sat on her throne. She asked what I wish to discuss. The children giggled, but she remained composed.

I asked her to make night eternal.

Hearing my words broke her composure. She asked me why, and I told her that because everyone deserved it; the beauty of stars and the moon, basking in the darkish blue sky. I told her the feelings it gave me that the night gave me hope and joy. That the darkness is a mystery, and she had tamed it.

I was not lying, but I had other motives. I expected her to tell me to run off, or have me arrested right there. I closed my eyes, and waited. I heard someone crying instead. I opened my eyes, and saw the princess’s eyes overflowed with tears. The children started to gather around her, seeing if there was something wrong.

For a few minutes, she composes herself again, and told me that no one ever had said the words I had said. It surprised me, for I always had thought someone would already have, with her being the most beautiful being I have laid my eyes upon. She rejected my wish, and instead gave me an offer.

To be her adviser.

I was perplexed. Confused. I asked her as to why I would deserve such a position. She then told me that if she wanted someone to advise her, it is better if it was someone who appreciates the night as much as she does.

I accepted.

Days came, and I became the children’s new friend. They kept coming, and they did not think ill of me. They accepted me as they did with Luna. She and I became also closer to each other as we played with the children. I was happy.

Until one night, one of the children went missing. The parents came to our court, saying we stole their child from them. The princess and I became worried. We assured the parents we would find her, and that we would never it happen again.

Luna moved her forces in search of the missing child. Days became weeks and after the fourth, we found her in the forest, afraid and shivering. We brought the child back to the court and learned she was abused physically and sexually. I became angry. I vowed to protect the children as if they were my own. Luna surely did the same thing. Both of us were filled with rage and the need for justice.

We found the bastard, who was hiding in a dense part of the forest. We brought him to the empty court, and sentenced him guilty; the evidence was overwhelming, even without the child’s witness statement. He was a disgusting beast, and I would finish.

Luna sentenced him death.

And I dealt with it.

The broken child cannot be unbroken; even then, she feared that I might hurt her. That broke my heart, as I had loved her like a father would to a daughter.

The night court’s guests lessened, as the parents feared for their children’s safety. While there were still a number of them coming, I and Luna missed the others. They were family, in our minds, I told Luna. She then told me that if night court was a family, she would be the mother, and I would be the father. Though she did not say the word ‘father’, she became embarrassed and red. I found her adorable, and I found myself kissing her cheek. She stared at me, surprised as I told her my wish the night we first met, then went to the children.

A week later, Celestia came to our court. She had heard about the execution. She congratulated her sister on her swift decision to chase the offender, and then slapped her hard. What was worse was that the children was with us. They were scared.

I went to Luna’s side, and helped her stand. Celestia then told us that death was not an act she would easily forgive. It would not be tolerated. I began to defend Luna’s decision, and stood my ground against the gentle tyrant. She then asked me if I was the one who drew the bastard’s life. I simply nodded. She then said that she would forgive her sister, but she would not forgive me, for I had supported her decision despite being her advisor, and had slain another. I would be punished, and Luna could not stop it.

I was brought the sun princess’s part of the castle and later to a dark, wide room. It had nothing. All but walls can be seen in the room. I do not even remember if doors were there. We teleported into it, after all.

Celestia then tosses me into the middle of the room. She told me that I was a fool to even consider another’s life to be taken by me. She said that I have to be punished and that she had no ill will against me.

She began to cast a spell; for a few seconds, nothing happened. And then, I felt hot. Heat started to rise rapidly, and soon, I felt I was burning. The room glowed, aflame and bright. I was burning alive. Fire started to envelop my body, and I felt pain of flesh being burned. I rolled on the ground, but the ground was also in flames. I did not even notice that I had started screaming long ago.

For hours, I was screaming and writhing in pain. The fires suddenly stopped. I was still alive; perhaps her magic. I was sent back to the night court with my mind filled with horror.

When I arrived at the night court, Luna immediately came to me. She asked me what her sister done to me. I did not speak. I did not wish to. She then mentioned that I was shivering. The moon princess asked me to rest, and so I did.

Two days later, I was back at the court. But I was silent. Luna would tell the children not to worry and reassured them. I was grateful for that.

I was angry. Angry at Celestia for what she had done to me. It was unnecessary and brutal. My anger for the sun princess grew each day passing and soon, a plan came to me.

During the day, I worked to make my plan and at night, I played with them. The day was filled with research and ink, while the night was filled with laughter.

It took a month to finish the first part of my plan; the amulet. A silvery steel plate, shaped as an alicorn spreading its wings wide. At the middle, a special ruby I created from

special gems I had collected, each containing a different charge of magic. It was a pinnacle of artificial magic, and I would use it to bring Celestia’s downfall.

One night, after Luna had taken her rest in her chambers, I went out to the forest by the castle, and into a clearing.

There, I would call the spirits of the void, those who rests with the stars. Starswirl had warned me about the beings, but this time, Celestia was the one who had to worry.

I began to channel my magic with the amulet, and the circles of magic appeared on the ground. My magic became a calling to the black sky. Symbols appeared in the sky, as

if the spirits were heeding my call.

My plan was to trap them into my amulet. True, it would be a wasteful of a true artifact, but if it brought Celestia to her knees, it’s a price worth paying.

The circles glowed brighter and so did the symbols above me. I concentrated more.

And then, I heard my name.

I looked around and saw her. Luna. She asked me what I was doing. I couldn’t respond. I lost my words. She wasn’t supposed to know.

The symbols glowed at their brightest, and shot out a burst of magic. Since I lost my focus, the magic I was supposed to capture began to move around wildly. It was too late

to even capture it. I started to use my magic in an attempt to steer it away from civilization. It was still frantic, and then the magic hit Luna. It threw her into the dirt. I came to her side, apologizing to her nonstop.

She opened her eyes, and asked me if I was alright.

So my planned failed, and Luna was fine by the time we returned to the castle. She did not even ask what I was doing.

Three weeks had passed since that unfortunate night, and my actions were never questioned. The court was usual; children playing and laughing. Within those weeks, I had noticed changes with the Princess. While she would smile at the children, she would return to a stoic face whenever she was not with them. I could not read her emotions; she would assure me with a smile I had always known.

The children did not notice. Nobody did. Something was wrong with her, and it was my fault. I was afraid to ask Starswirl for his opinion about the magic. No doubt he would tell Celestia about it.

Days have passed, and Luna started observing the day court. It was unusual of her; she had no interest in nobles and their problems. Politics was simply not her game. Each day, she watched her sister with a blank face. She did not participate, but she observed with steady eyes. I joined her during those days, and seeing her in such nature was unsettling.

Nights were still filled with joys from children. She became herself whenever the children or I was around. I asked her if anything was wrong, but all she did was kiss me in my cheek. She told me not to worry, that everything will be fine.

Those words increased my worries. She was planning something, but I was not part of it.

One night, after the night court she brought me to the balcony of the castle. The night sky was beautiful; the stars dusted the sky with light and sparkled. For a while, we just watched the stars. Silence was broken when she asked me if I remembered our first meeting; of course I did. I was foolish to wish for an eternal night. She then kissed me on my lips. I was surprised, and I returned her kiss. After she pulled away from me, she promised me that I would get my wish. I did not understand her words, but she then retired to her room. I was too tired to make sense of it, so I slept in my room.

The day did not come. Hours had passed, yet the moon was still basking in the night sky. The sun should had been up. And then, I remembered her words and her promise. I became worried and rushed to the day court, and for the first time, I wanted to see Celestia. When I arrived, Luna was floating below a hole in the wall, where an eclipse glowed an evil light. Black magic engulfed the princess of the night, and then it dispersed.

Luna was gone, and in her place, was a fanged alicorn of black, its mane made of stars. Her insane laughter roared through the room. She suddenly stopped, and unleashed her destructive magic upon the room, destroying statues and walls. Concentrated magic made the ceiling non-existent. The black one walked among the rubble and found Celestia flying above her. Luna blasted another stream of magic, this time pointed at her own sister. Celestia dodged and created another hole in the ceiling, showing the moon shining bright, despite it was supposed to be day.

Celestia told her sister that she must lower the moon, for it was her duty. Luna, however, discarded her name, and announced that she was Nightmare Moon.

Nightmare Moon. It was my fault that Luna became such a being. It was all mine.

The black alicorn shot more destructive magic at her sister. Celestia only dodged and flew away from her. The Nightmare followed Celestia outside. I teleported outside to see what was happening. Outside, Nightmare Moon continuously shot at the sun princess without hesitation. The castle was being damaged by the concentrated energy.

After a few shots, Celestia finally got hit, and she fell back to her throne room. She lied there for a while as I observed from above. The black alicorn relished at her sister’s fall. Her insane laughter filled the night.

Looking at the black alicorn only made my heart break; to think she had fallen, that she was loved and yet she had done this. The one I loved was gone.

It wasn’t long before Celestia came back to the sky to face her sister, only this time, she brought the very weapon that sealed the spirit of chaos; the Elements of Harmony. The gem revolved around the sun princess at high speed.

Nightmare Moon responded with her usual burst of destructive magic. Celestia returned the attack with her magic infused with the Elements; her magic was a spectrum of light, contrasting the otherwise unholy magic.

I screamed at Celestia, begging her to stop. I didn’t want to see Luna sealed, even at her current. I kept screaming, but their magic clashed, pushing each other with force of their will. Celestia, however, had the Elements at her side. It wasn’t long before she had dominated the competition.

The Nightmare was covered in the magic of The Elements. She screamed in pain and agony. The magic shot upwards, and in her place was nothing.

She was gone. The princess of the moon was killed by her own sister. It made me angry.

I was so angry, I teleported the amulet from my room and wore it. With magic, I flew to Celestia, who seemed tired from using the Elements. I went above her and shot her with my magic empowered by my amulet. She crashes to the ground, and the Elements drops far from her.

I shot her again. And again. And again. And again. Soon, a crater was made from my assault, yet Celestia did not do anything. She was alive, that was for certain.

I asked her questions.

Why would you slay your own sister?

I shot her.

What about the ones who loved her?

I shot her again.

What about the children who adored her?

I shot her, with everything I had.

What about me?

By then, the crater was very large. Celestia was now very hurt. I landed in the crater, not near the sun princess.

That’s when I heard her crying. Celestia was apologizing repeatedly as tear ran down her face. She cried very loud, and kept saying she didn’t have a choice. That she only did what was best for the subjects. That she loved her.

Then why did you kill her?

My question made her face me. She lied on the ground, looking at the moon that was over us.

She is not dead.

Her words stunned me.

You’re lying!

She pointed at the moon.

She is there, sealed in the moon she herself adored. I could not kill her. How could I?

I looked up at the moon, and from it, I saw an image of pony.


A day later, I confessed to Celestia what could have caused her to turn into the Nightmare. I did not expect mercy from her. I did make her banish her own sister to the moon. It was all my fault. I had sought revenge, and it cost me. I lost her.

Instead, Celestia apologized to me. I was confused. She explains that the Nightmare I had called only empowers itself through thoughts of its host. Her negligence on her sister caused her to hate the day, because she always thought of her as only her little sister. She called herself a fool.

I only told her that it was my fault. I was the one who called the beast from the void. She interrupted me, saying I was free to go. Before I left, she said the words to me;

On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about nighttime eternal. She will be back, not as we remember her.

I left her. I left the castle. I left everything behind.

You must tell everyone the truth. It was my fault, not Luna’s. They must remember her kindness, her smile, her love.

I wish I could tell you everything in person, but I’m afraid I am too weak to even go outside; I am simply too old.

I beg of you, tell them the Luna who loved everyone. The Luna I learned to love.

-Your old friend,

Comments ( 9 )

crud. is a lot of crud this is

5129142
Let me just explain, since I only said "nah."
The story ... just felt, I guess plain?
For a first time, it's not bad, I'll say that...
But I just really didn't get anything.:rainbowhuh:

5130250 It is plain, now that you mentioned it. Well, it just kind of popped inside my head and I had to write it down, so there... :twilightsheepish:

I like it!:pinkiehappy:
It really has emotion and detail, and I enjoyed reading it.:scootangel:
Instant fave.:heart:

Hmm. Well, let's ignore all of the grammar mistakes, which you probably now know there are many. For your first one-shot, this was an interesting premise, but like what was said before, it is a little plain. An interesting take on the origin of the Alicorn Amulet (I'm assuming that's what that was), I'll give you that. I get that you're going for the open-ended ending, but I don't think it really works this time. We kind of need something more than just 'someone who loved Luna.'

7045869 Ah, I didn't think you'd read this one. It is quite plain, looking back.

7046497 Well, I found myself in your story list and saw that it was short, so I figured why not?

Login or register to comment