• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 707 Views, 18 Comments

Alex's Scrapbook - Alexstrazsa



An assortment of writing scraps from various projects, compiled for your... pleasure?

  • ...
2
 18
 707

The 63rd Rune - Epilogue

Author's Note:

This was an April Fools joke I played on my unfortunate 63rd Rune fans, where I wrote an epilogue and hinted at a sequel. Fun times for everyone!

It had been a week since Twilight and her friends reverted from stallions to mares, and things were starting to settle down in Ponyville. The party had died down the day afterwards, and everypony was beginning to resume their normal schedules. Twilight sat in the library, quill and blank piece of parchment in front of her. Her eyes widened as an idea came to mind and she pushed the quill to the paper, but just as quickly pouted and shook her head, pulling it back.

"I just don't know what to write..." she said, leaning into her hoof as she pondered.

"Do you really need to write something?" Spike asked, walking by with a stack of books. He set it down next to the nearest bookcase and began to shelve the pile. "I'm sure the princess knows whatever lesson you learned. I mean, you were with her the entire time at the party!"

Twilight groaned, putting her head on the desk. "I know, I know, but I still feel like I should write a formal report. We all learned a lot about ourselves, and I feel like I can organize it better in writing." She raised her head slightly and scanned over the paper. With a sigh, she lifted the quill and wrote 'Dear Princess Celestia,' along the top of the scroll. "That's the least I can do..." she mumbled.

"Just do what you do with your other reports, Twilight," Spike said, propping a ladder up against the top of the shelf. "Go over your experiences, write an outline, format it like an essay... you know, all that geeky stuff."

"Hey!" Twilight exclaimed, shooting a glare at Spike. "It's not 'geeky', it's 'organized'. There's a difference!"

Spike let out a chuckle, then said "I'm sure there is..."

"Regardless..." the unicorn continued, looking back to her paper, "you're right. I should just approach it like I would approach any letter!" She floated an extra piece of parchment in front of her and began to scribble notes down as she recalled the past two weeks of her life.

Twilight was in the middle of jotting down her notes on their Cloudsdale journey when a peculiar sensation washed over her. It started as faint prickling in her horn, then spread through her body like pins and needles. "What the..." she mumbled, touching her horn.

"You say something, Twi?" the small dragon asked, hopping down from the ladder.

"I feel this weird sensation in my horn... I've only ever felt like this in Old Canterlot," she replied, attempting to look up at her horn. "And only incredibly powerful magic can cause something like this. But as far as I know, I'm the only pony in Ponyville who can-"

A loud boom echoed through the library, with such force that it shook the entire building. Following it was a dull crash, and from the vibrations of the falling objects, Twilight could tell it happened in the basement. "What the heck was that, Twi?" Spike asked, fighting to regain his balance.

"I have no idea." the unicorn replied, immediately standing up. "But I know whatever it is, it was powerful, and it's in our basement." The dragon gulped, his eyes darting to the basement door. "Keep a lookout up here, Spike." Twilight said, heading to the door. "If anything happens, I'll call you."

She opened the door and descended into the basement, lighting her horn in the process. At the bottom of the staircase she opened the door, and after a brief pause and a breath of air, she walked in and peered around the room. Dust hung in the air, and it didn't take long for her to find the cause. In the far corner was a pair of toppled bookcases with their contents strewn about the ground in a large pile. She slowly walked to the heap of books and looked observed it for a moment. "Well, that was a relief..." she said, letting out a sigh.

It was then that a unicorn thrust their head out of the pile and stumbled over themselves and the books, crashing front of Twilight. The lavender mare screamed and jumped back, but not entirely because the unicorn had startled her. What frightened Twilight the most was that when the unicorn picked themselves up and shook their head, she saw Dusk Shine.

"What in Equestria happened?" The stallion said, frantically looking around.

"You... y... you... you can't exist!" Twilight stuttered, her eyes wide as she took in the features and look of this stallion. There was no doubt about it. He looked just like she had a little over a week ago.

"Who are you?!" Dusk Shine quickly asked, Twilight's existence finally registering in his head. "And why do you look like me? Where am I?!"

Twilight gulped, still looking at the stallion in fear. He couldn't exist. It wasn't possible. There was no way that another version of herself could be in the same room as her, let alone the same plane of existence. "You... you're me," she finally sputtered out, pointing at him with a hoof. "You're Dusk Shine..."

"What... how... how do you know my name?" he asked, staring at Twilight with disbelief.

"That doesn't matter right now, what were you doing before you got here?!" Twilight asked, leaning forward slightly.

"I was... I was attempting a teleportation spell." He replied, looking upwards in thought.

"Did anything happen while you were casting it?!" she exclaimed, near frantically. She inched ever closer, pleading to the stallion.

"I... I was looking at the calendar!" Dusk answered, recoiling slightly.

"And? What about the calendar?!"

"I noticed..." he gulped, eyes shifting away from Twilight. "I noticed that..."

"What?!" She demanded, barely able to keep her balance as she anticipated the answer.

"...it was April 1st."

- - -

That was really mean. I'm sorry guys. Don't hate me.

Happy April Fools Day.

- Alexstrazsa