• Published 10th Oct 2014
  • 11,832 Views, 1,116 Comments

On the Corner of Straight and Narrow - Tatsurou



Sam and Max raise a filly Trixie while solving mysteries.

  • ...
23
 1,116
 11,832

Second Case - Rising Star

Upon the trio's arrival at the TV station, they discovered it mostly empty. Sam was the first to speak. "Well, here we are Max, Trixie. The TV station with programs too old to be contemporary, too new to be retro, but consistently derivative enough to be popular: W.A.R.P."

"Television so mindless, you can't help but watch!" Max agreed.

"Is Trixie getting paid for this advertisement?" the filly inquired curiously.

"Not yet," Max admitted sadly.

"Oddly quiet in here," Sam commented dryly.

"Mysteriously so!" Max pointed out eagerly.

Trixie, for her part, got bored with the exposition and started heading towards the only other person in the room, quickly followed by Sam and Max. "The Great and Powerful Trixie demands entrance to the studio!" Trixie proclaimed to the yellow clad woman.

"Sorry," she replied. "We've already finished auditions for tiny animals with huge egos. Unless you get better acting talent, you won't go anywhere in this business."

Trixie frowned. "The Great and Powerful Trixie is an excellent actor!" she proclaimed, stomping her hoof.

"Sorry, but I don't currently have any roles available for high-maintenance child stars."

Trixie's eyes narrowed, and it became quickly clear to her guardians that she was on the verge of exerting violence on this unpleasant personage. Max, for his part, rubbed his hands together eagerly. Sam, however, desired to intervene. "Excuse me, Miss, but we're Sam & Max, Freelance Police-"

"Doesn't Trixie get billing?" Trixie demanded.

"Not until after your third case," Max commented comfortingly. "Don't worry, at the rate we're going, that won't be long."

"I'm attempting to convince the civilian to assist us, guys," Sam complained.

The woman, for her part, was rubbing her chin speculatively. "You know, the dynamic you three have is rather interesting. If you can demonstrate any actual acting talent, I could use you. I'm supposed to be directing Midtown Cowboys - amongst other shows - but all my stars are on Myra's show, and won't come back out." Her mention of Myra was growled out viciously. "And since I don't have any other applicants for the audition..."

"Trixie can be a TV star?" Trixie asked eagerly, her eyes shining.

"If you three can act," the lady countered. "You'd best be able to follow the Director's - that's me - stage instructions, too."

"Can we audition, Daddy? Uncle Sam?" Trixie bounced eagerly. "Can we? Can we? Can we?"

"Can we? Can we? Can we?" Max begged Sam.

"Sure, why not?" Sam replied, unwilling to disappoint them both. "What do we need to do?"

"Alright," the director said. "To test your acting talent, we're going to do the climactic scene from Old Yeller, the classic tale of a boy who has to put down his beloved dog because he has rabies." She pointed to Sam. "You be the dog."

"Isn't that type casting?" Sam asked, somewhat offended.

"Do you want the role or not?" the director demanded. "Show me rabid!"

"Uhh...grr?" Sam offered.

"You call that rabid?" she demanded. "I need real rage! Real madness! The eyes of one who has lost all sense of reason!"

Hearing that, Max's ears perked up. "Sam! What Brady did to Trixie? It was her idea!" he said quickly, quiet enough that only Sam heard.

"Now show me-" the director began.

Sam lunged forward, one hand grabbing the director by the throat and pinning her to the wall. His other hand pulled back, fingers curling to accentuate his claws. His lips pulled back in a bestial snarl, drool dripping from his lower lip as a growl of pure rage reverberated from his throat, filling the air with pure menace.

As the director's eyes widened and a grin crossed her face, Max spoke up again. "Just kidding, Sam!"

Sam pulled back. "Dog gone it, little buddy," he grumbled. He turned to the director. "Sorry for handling you like that-"

"That was amazing!" she said eagerly. "I mean, I fully expected - at best - a bit of an angry face covered in shaving cream, but that! That was divine! And on such little stimulus, too!" She pointed to Max. "I noticed your stage direction. I don't know what you said, but whatever it was, it turned the trick!" She then turned to Trixie. "Now, you'll be the boy on discovering his dog does, in fact, have rabies. Show me sorrow! Show me tears! Show me anguish!"

Having caught that Max had used some real event to trigger Sam's reaction, Trixie decided to do the same thing. She recalled her nightmare. Her ears went back against her skull, her eyes went wide and watered, tears pouring down her cheeks, her lips pursed into her most adorable, saddest pout, and sad music began playing from nowhere.

"Beautiful!" the director proclaimed. "If I weren't totally jaded from years working in television, I'd be crying my eyes out at that scene." She then pointed to Max. "Now you! Shoot your dog!"

Sam looked nervous. "Now Max, let's not be hasty-"

Grinning widely, Max pulled out his gun and shot Sam in the head, making him fall backwards.

"Wonderful!" the director crowed happily. "That pratfall was perfect! I genuinely believed he just shot you! And you even provided your own special effects!" She clapped her hands eagerly. "You're hired!"

"Was there ever any doubt?" Trixie proclaimed haughtily, though visibly vibrating with suppressed glee.

Sam stood up. "Good thing I worked my anti-hypnosis headgear into my hat," he muttered, straightening the head wear in question, "or I'd have one too many holes in my head."

"Alright you three," the director instructed, "head on into the Midtown Cowboys stage. I need to get this stage prepared for another show."

"Does Trixie get her own dressing room?" the filly asked as they headed through the door.

"Not until you've done a full season," the director replied without hesitation.


On the next stage, the director was already waiting for them. "Alright, let's begin," she stated quickly. "We're in a bit of a hurry, so I'm going to have to be brief. You two are playing a pair of cattle ranchers trying to raise a herd in an apartment in Manhattan."

"My Uncle Ernie did that," Max pointed out. "Except it was pigs, and not in an apartment."

"Will Trixie meet Max's Uncle Ernie?" Trixie asked eagerly.

"Unfortunately not," Max apologized. "It was a very...unsuccessful venture."

Trixie winced in sympathy.

"I only see one cow," Sam pointed out.

"It's a small herd," the director pointed out in exasperation. "You're struggling, okay?"

"Okay," Sam agreed.

"Now, you've got this landlord, Mr. Featherly, who has a very strict no-cows policy."

"Devilishly inconvenient," Sam commented dryly.

"I begin to see from whence the hilarity spouts," Max added.

"Trixie doesn't," the filly argued.

"Antics, hijinks, and humorous misunderstandings," Max explained.

"Ah," Trixie mused.

"So where's the script?" Sam asked.

"Well, there's a slight hitch," the director demurred. "The cow ate most of the script, so you're going to have to ad-lib the show. And don't worry, you'll be working with Philo Pennyworth, who plays Featherly. He's a brilliant actor, classically trained, globe theater and all that. Just set him up to do something funny and he'll handle it from there."

"Check," Sam agreed. "Anything else?"

"Actually, yes. We did save one line from the script, and it's vitally important we work it in, because it's the product placement that pays for the whole show. One of you will have to say the line."

"Me!" Max volunteered eagerly.

"All right, Max, your line is: Better get the serious toothpaste."

"Got it," Max agreed.

"Any more questions?"

"What is Trixie's role?" Trixie demanded.

The director paused. "...well, we don't have anything written, so just get on stage and do something adorable and we'll work from there, alright?"

"Trixie can do that," the filly confirmed. "Trixie is very good at being adorable."

"Alright you two, center stage!"


As the cameras started rolling, Sam looked around to see how he could disguise the cow in the room as something other than a cow. Thinking quickly, he grabbed the lampshade off the lamp and stuck it on the cow's head, looking not unlike a chef's hat.

At that moment, the door swung open, and a well dressed chicken came into the apartment. "Aha!" the chicken proclaimed. "I know you're hiding a-"

Before anyone else could react, Trixie charged onto the set, tumbling and landing on her back at Pennyworth's feet.

The actor didn't even blink at the unexpected interruption. "And who's this little one?"

Trixie looked up at him cutely. "Moo?"

As the laugh track played, 'Featherly' chuckled. "Is this the cow you've been hiding?" he asked good-naturedly.

"Sorry sir," Sam said calmly. "My niece is visiting this week, and she loves playing pretend. I would have mentioned it, but there's a 'no kids' policy in addition to 'no cows'."

'Featherly' chuckled. "Well she doesn't look like a goat to me!" The laugh track played again. "Besides, she's only visiting. And you are adorable, aren't you?" Reaching forward, he pretended to tickle Trixie's tummy with his feathers. "Coochie coo! Coochie coo!"

Hiding her actions with her oversized hat, Trixie sprayed a tube of lime Gogurt on 'Featherly's face. He pulled back sputtering.

As the laugh track played again, Max said without prompting, "Better get the serious toothpaste!"

"And cut!" the director said. "Well done you three!"

"I must say, good show!" Pennyworth told Trixie as he cleaned up the yogurt on his face. "Quite clever there, and good ad-lib."

"Trixie is a star and she knows it!" Trixie proclaimed happily. "What's out there?" she asked, pointing at the door they'd come in from.

"That's our Talentless show, Embarrassing Idol," the director explained. "People who think they can sing perform, and the judges heckle them."

"Trixie will sing!" Trixie proclaimed, running out the door.

"Here," the director said, handing Sam a tape. "A clip for her portfolio. She's definitely got potential."

"Thanks," Sam said happily before he and Max followed Trixie.


In the refurbished stage, the director was talking to Peepers. "I just don't see how you can sing and be a judge. I don't think the public would swallow that."

"Look Daddy!" Trixie called. "It's the Soda Poppers!"

"Could we find another judge?" Peepers asked.

"Daddy can judge!" Trixie eagerly volunteered.

"I can?" Max asked in shock.

"I have every confidence in your ability to be offensive and insulting in good spirits, little buddy," Sam agreed.

"Alright, fine," the director agreed. "Let's just get this show going."

As the show prepared, Peepers was the first to sing. "Am I blue, How are you, can I fly?" he sang, hitting a high note on his last word.

"So...is it Trixie's turn yet?" Trixie asked.

"Actually, I'm thinking of singing," Sam pointed out, pulling out the voice modulator. "I understand Specs is looking for high notes." Going up to the mic, Sam used the voice modulator to hit a high note that cracked Specs' glasses.

After Sam got Specs and Max's vote - much to Peepers irritation on the former - Trixie prepared to sing. As she went by the judge's table, however, she heard Whizzer complaining to Peepers. "I still can't believe you forgot my birthday!" he growled.

"I said I was sorry!" Peepers whined.

Seizing on an advantage, Trixie walked up to Whizzer. "Happy Birthday!" she said happily, rising up on her hind hooves to plant a chaste kiss on his cheek. As she came down, she fluttered her eyelashes adorably.

A goofy grin plastered itself on Whizzer's face. "T-thanks," he said happily.

Smiling, Trixie turned around and walked towards the mic. As she approached, she smirked down at her hoof. "Works every time," she whispered smugly. She blinked up at the mic. "Can Trixie have a lower mic stand?"

To nearly everyone's surprise, Whizzer zipped over to set up the mic at Trixie's mouth height before zipping back to the judge's table.

"Thank you!" Trixie called happily, fluttering her eyelashes at him again.

"D-don't mention it!" Whizzer replied hesitantly.

"What devilish manipulations!" Max whispered. "She's got him wrapped around her hoof! Oh, Daddy's so proud!"

Chuckling, Trixie cleared her throat, stepped up to the microphone...and sang.

As she reached the end of her song, she rose up on her forehooves to emphasize the last high note, only to fall forward onto her face, her cape falling atop of her to cover her up. She quickly pushed herself to her hooves to hear the judge's votes.

"I have to vote for the cute filly who made this birthday great!" Whizzer said quickly.

"Hey!" Peepers complained.

"While Sam hit the highest note," Specs explained, "you hit more of them, and they fit more naturally in the song. Plus, that little pratfall at the end was just too adorable. That's another vote for you, Trixie!"

"You guys!" Peepers complained again, even louder.

"I may be a silly rabbit," Max said happily, "but I know Trixie's all for me!"

"The votes are unanimous!" the announcer proclaimed. "The winner is the Great and Powerful Trixie! She's won a recording contract with with Bin Bottom Records! Congratulations!"

Trixie was visibly vibrating with glee as she accepted the contract. "Yes!" she proclaimed, ignoring the Soda Poppers running out angrily. "The Great and Powerful Trixie proves once again to be the greatest there is!"

Sam and Max looked on, smiling proudly as she boasted.