• Published 8th Oct 2014
  • 1,015 Views, 26 Comments

Demon's Crest: Harmonic Affinity - Dragonborne Fox



Eons ago, fiends fought over six crests that were forgotten by time. What happened to those crests when ponies came into rule...?

  • ...
4
 26
 1,015

A Challenge of the Devils

“Spike, send the book to Celestia immediately,” Twilight commanded, turning to a large nearby window. She trotted to it and looked outside. Night had graced the land, but the moon was an eerie beige this time. Much of the land was bathed in its light, this odd but glorious full moon sending a single chill down the alicorn’s spine.

Spike did as told, then ran up to the mare. “Something wrong?” he asked.

“I dunno. Something doesn’t seem quite right, though,” Twilight answered, shaking her head. She flared her wings wide, as if about to take flight.

Spike clambered onto Twilight’s midsection, making sure to avoid her wings. “Well, we won’t know just by sitting around here,” he pointed out.

“You’re right about that,” Twilight agreed with another nod. She took to the air, her form bathed in the shimmering moonlight. The mare scanned the landscape below, but nothing seemed out of place. Aside from the monster that attacked her earlier and the moon, what was it that was not quite right here?

“Land near the town hall,” spoke a voice, a deep masculine that sounded like it came from everywhere and nowhere at once. A deep, demonic, ethereal tone that faded as quick as it had come.

Twilight arched a brow, glancing around at her surroundings once. Who was that which had spoken to her, and where was it?

“Land,” the voice repeated in a stern tone, once more fleeting into the night like a gust of wind.

Twilight sighed, doing just as told. Next to the town hall, bathed in moonlight, stood an apparition of some kind. The figure was bipedal, hands and feet ending in talons. Bangles on the shins and wrists shone brightly, and bat-like wings of blackest hue were folded behind the muscular frame. The skin was toned and crimson, almost as if caked in the blood of thousands. The head was the oddest feature of all, sporting a protrusion that made it appear vaguely cone-shaped.

“Who are you?” the alicorn asked, approaching the figure. Spike hopped off her back to get a better look at the biped.

“My name is Firebrand,” replied the figure. His eyes, gold in hue, twinkled in the dark. “And I’m not going to the afterlife right yet.”

“Why?” Twilight asked, blinking.

“Because…” Firebrand trailed off, spreading his wings wide, “...I need to have one final worthy opponent.”

Twilight gawked. “You want to fight?!” she protested, her eyes widening.

“Verily,” Firebrand replied with a hellish sneer. He began flapping his wings, lifting himself off the ground with ease. “I’ve watched the world turn. I’ve watched you, Miss Sparkle—who better to have a worthy opponent than a princess of this land?” With that, he charged at her, claws ready to strike at the alicorn.

Twilight backed off, flapping her own wings to fly in order to dodge. Firebrand kept coming for her, delivering a swift series of punches, clawed kicks, and swipes of his feet-talons. Even a headbutt or two with his misshapen head was thrown into the mix. The alicorn, to retaliate, threw bolts of magic at him, but they phased right through him as if he weren’t even there. She teleported out of the way, appearing behind the creature, but he turned right around and flashed her another dark smile.

“I’d expected no less from the princess of magic and friendship,” he remarked, eyes glinting once more, “But I’m only getting warmed up.” Cracking his knuckles and popping his neck for a moment, he then rushed at the alicorn once more, preparing his claws for another series of deadly swipes. He was moving faster, as if with renewed vigor, a single swipe of his claw landing on Twilight’s cheek and causing her to get sent a ways back.

Blood trickled from the shallow wounds, and the alicorn simply shrugged it off. Firebrand rushed at her once more, but she stood still this time.

When he was close enough, she turned around and bucked him with her back hooves mid-air, and the hit connected. The bipedal creature backed off, merely shaking his head to shrug off the bout of pain he had just received.

“Changing tactics, are we?” Firebrand asked, smiling again. Twilight turned back to him and smiled back. “That was a good kick, for one not adept at such a feat. But it’s going to take more than that to shake me off.”

He lunged at her once more, head positioned as he was preparing to headbutt the alicorn. She flew around him and quickly bucked him right between the wings. Firebrand let off a surprised yelp, plummeting to the ground for a moment or two before being airborne again—mere inches from the ground. Before he could even react, Twilight teleported to him quick as a whip and bucked him square in the stomach.

The creature collapsed onto his knees, looking down at the ground. Twilight landed before him, watching as he looked up at her with yet another grin adorning his face.

“That was...a great battle. The greatest I’ve had since so long ago,” Firebrand said, a light beginning to envelop his form.

“Do you know anything about the disappearance of the Elements of Harmony?” Twilight asked with a frown.

Firebrand shook his head. “I’ve not seen them vanish,” he replied flatly, “I watched you all this time instead.” The light around him began glowing brighter.

“What do you know about the monster that attacked me?” Twilight inquired, her wings shifting.

“A fiend from my homeland. Hippogryph, if I recall correctly,” Firebrand answered, closing his eyes briefly. “I’m not sure why it went after you, though, or why it was alive. I’m pretty sure I slayed it and its kin.”

“You...killed it?” Twilight asked, eyes wide.

“Had to. I did not have a say,” Firebrand replied with a nod of his head. "Back in my days, it was kill or be killed."

“And what about the black book?” Spike pointed out as he approached the two.

Firebrand looked at the dragon and his smile faded. “That tome—if it could be called that now—held scores of information that you and your friends wouldn’t begin to comprehend. As time passed, those scores of information had been mangled…” he replied, the light glowing brighter still. “I know not how to restore it, sadly…” the biped added flatly, once more shaking his head.

“Do you know how to get the Elements of Harmony back?” the alicorn asked, worry lining her voice.

“I know of only one so far,” Firebrand answered. He gestured towards the Everfree Forest with a hand. “The ruined castle may hold answers which escape me…” Before he could finish speaking, the light glowed so bright it blinded the alicorn and dragon for a moment before dissipating. When it vanished, Firebrand was no longer there.

Twilight looked in the direction of the forest, eyelids slanting in worry. Spike clambered onto her back again, also looking in that direction with worry on his face. “I think we may need to get the girls…” the alicorn murmured, ears falling flat on her skull.