• Published 8th Oct 2014
  • 2,672 Views, 81 Comments

Trouble at the Finish Line - shortskirtsandexplosions



Rarity gets more than she bargains for when she allows Applejack and Rainbow Dash to compete over writing an enchanted comic book for Twilight's birthday gift.

  • ...
14
 81
 2,672

Rarity's Turn

Rarity sat delicately on a stool, legs crossed. She smiled to herself, humming as she scooped two spoonfuls of sugar and sprinkled them into her levitating teacup. She looked up.

The comic book lay across from her on its pedestal. Dead still.

Rarity blinked. She smiled even more. Adding another spritz of sugar, she stirred her drink and took a sip. Exhaling, she leaned back, breathing calmly into the afternoon light.

Minutes limped by.

She glanced up—pleasantly—at the clock. The short hoof was on the 'three' and the thin hoof was on the 'six.'

Rarity fluffed her mane, took another sip, and waited.

Finally, after another twenty minutes, the pages began flipping... and flipping and flipping and flipping and—

In two flashes of bright light, a pair of mares emerged. A pair of silent mares. Frazzled mares. Blushing mares. They both took one look at Rarity, then instantly turned away in a jolt. They didn't say anything. They didn't even murmur. They gazed at the floor, one of them pawing at the tile with a demure hoof. Applejack's mane and tail had somehow lost their red ties in the teleportation. Rainbow's wings stuck towards the ceiling... and stayed there.

"Well well well!" Rarity smiled elegantly. She looked up at the clock, taking another sip. "Mmmm...!" She gulped it down and pointed. "Three forty-five! My my... that must be... what?" She turned and smiled at the pair. "Seven hours? Seven and a half?" She smiled, teeth showing. "Granted, I'm no expert on the ways of enchanted books... but from what I understand, a single hour of the real world spent in the comic equates to... oh... three or four in the comic world? Which must mean..." She tapped her chin... tapped it some more, then produced a faux gasp. "My word! You must have been in there for twenty-two virtual hours at least! Why... that's like a full day!"

"Mmmm..." Rainbow Dash winced as her stomach growled. "...yeah..."

"You do realize that, with the Plot Override canceled, the comic's... ahem... 'narrative' only ends at the culmination of the actual story. So... tell me..." She raised the teacup once more to her smirking lips. "Did you... achieve your climax?"

Rainbow winced. Applejack cleared her voice. "Ahem... eeeeeyup."

"...several times, perhaps?"

"E-eyup..."

"I see..." Rarity turned her grin over towards Rainbow. "You must be awfully sore."

Rainbow sighed dreamily. "Yeah..." Her eyes bulged. "Er, I mean uh uh! I-I mean no! I-I..."

"Snnkkt..." Applejack face-hoofed, her freckles disappearing completely in the red sea her muzzle had become.

"Unnnnngh..." Rainbow Dash buried her face against the tile floor like a blue ostrich... with outstretched wings.

"Would you... perhaps..." Rarity stretched and yawned casually before fluffing her mane. "Mmmm... say that you got your aggressions out? And then some?"

The mares said nothing. They exchanged glances with one another, then winced all the more, immediately looking toward the walls.

Rarity took one last sip, then placed the teacup down on a nearby table. "'Tis the wonderful thing about competition." She folded her lower legs and leaned forward on the stool. "It brings about the best in you. Only, on this occasion, it brought it out in two separate, branching directions. But, now that we've crossed the streams as t'were, could we officially declare that you have the passion out of your system? Hmmm?"

Both mares nod-nod-nodded.

"And can we now work together to make sure that Twilight feels as... ahem... satiated as you both do now?"

The two mares glanced at Rarity, eyes blinking bright.

Rarity rolled her eyes. "I mean as tomorrow's birthday mare, of course."

"Oh... uh... sure..."

"Darn tootin'."

"It's... all about Twilight."

"From now on."

"Ahem." Rainbow Dash coughed, nodding. "Right."

Applejack looked at her. "Right?"

"Right."

"Good." Rarity nodded. "Very good." She stood up, stretched her legs, and girl-stepped towards the two. "Now... I'm awfully tired from staying up all night, penning that... mmmm... curious masterpiece I spontaneously dreamed up. And, so you know, our artist friend at Quills and Sofa is as perfectly confidential as he was sixteen days ago. So... he most certainly won't give you princesses a strange look when you drop a new and final manuscript off at his shop this afternoon. At least..." Rarity stopped in place, smirking. "Not too terrible a look."

"No... I-I reckon not..."

"Thanks, Rarity." Rainbow gulped. "We... we won't fail Twilight."

"I imagine not." Rarity's eyes narrowed. "After all... you've had your rest and relaxation, haven't you?"

Both mares glanced at each other, making solid eye contact for the first time since leaping out of the book.

"How delightful! I'm glad that we could come together on this... ahem... so to speak. Now, if you don't mind..." Rarity yawned again. "I must retire. Beauty sleep and all." She turned to leave, but paused. A beat. She turned about, then leaned in, whispering in both mares' ears. "Play nice, and I'll even let you take the draft I made home with you."

Applejack and Rainbow stared, eyes bright.

Rarity's lips curved. "Now... I'm not that much of a monster, am I?" Then, with a swish of her tail, she daintily trotted up the stairs to the top floor of Carousel Boutique.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash turned towards each other. They gazed in silence. They both turned to look at the comic book still resting on the pedestal. Then, eventually, they looked at each other once again.

"You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" Applejack asked.

Rainbow gritted her teeth. "Speed writing?"

Applejack grinned evilly. "Speed writing."

Rainbow Dash bit her lip, wingtips fluttering as her cheeks turned rosy.

"What are ya waitin' for, princess?!" Applejack swatted her with her tail. "Let's get to space laserin'!"

Rainbow Dash galloped towards a stack of paper sheets. "So long as you bring the poncho!"

Applejack's teeth yanked a pen from its spot on the desk. "Mrmmmf! Way ahead of y'all!"