• Published 8th Oct 2014
  • 4,226 Views, 21 Comments

The Moon Has a Softer Light - Nyronus



Luna deals with a new experience; giving advice.

  • ...
2
 21
 4,226

Advice

I raised my head from the books, adjusting the reading spectacles upon my brow.

“Come in.” I spoke.

“Princess Luna?”

“Feather Duster? What are you doing here at this hour?”

“Oh,” The pegasus blushed as she entered the room, bereft of her proper uniform. “I, uh, finished my shift, and I wanted to come speak to you. Is that alright?”

I stared at her, perplexed.

“I... see no breach of conduct here. Please, take a seat.” In a haze of teal light the tome I was perusing sealed itself with a bookmark, the pen taking a place next to it. I turned and settled on the rug across from my guest then, and smiled. “What may a humble Princess of the Night do for her noble maid?”

“Please Princess!”

I chuckled.

“‘Tis but true.”

“Oh, it isn’t.”

“I say, it is. Now, what brings you to my chamber when at home you should be well on your way to?”

“Oh, I… well, I wanted some advice.”

Odd.

“What may I help you with?”

“Well, it’s…”

“I cannot help thee if you remain silent.”

“Well, it’s…” she trailed off again. I opened my mouth to speak, but she cut me off. “I’m in love with another mare and I don’t know how to tell her!”

I blinked.

“Oh.” I frowned then. “Odd you should ask me.”

“Why?” Why was she afraid?

“Well, I have not had a romance in some 54 score years, for one, and it went poorly besides.”

“Oh,” She seemed relieved then. Why? “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Fret not,” I said “It is quite literally ancient history.” She laughed then. That was good. There was a pause after it, and despite her laughter, my apprehension would not abate. “If I may,” I began, “You seemed hesitant to talk with me about this. Why?”

“Oh!” She said, a little surprised. “I… didn’t realize it was so obvious. Um. I was worried you may not approve.”

“Of what?”

“Of me being attracted to mares.”

“Oh! Oh, that!” I laughed. She blushed. “I, oh, I apologize. It did not occur to me.”

She smiled.

“No need princess. It’s… some ponies don’t really approve, and girls picked on me when I was in school, calling me names about it. So I just worry about telling people.”

“Please, feel at ease. If you must know, the romance I had was actually with a mare as well.”

“Really?” Her expression brightened. “I had no idea you were… well, like that.”

“Like what?” Why must this night be so confusing?

“Gay.”

“Well, I was in love. It is natural for one to be happy.”

“Uhh…” She looked distraught. What had I said? “I mean… I didn’t know you liked mares.”

“Oh… well, I… do?” I leaned back, eyebrow raised.

“Umm…” Was there some kind of social code about mares engaging in conjugal relations in this age? Was that why ponies may disapprove? What had I said to make her so off balance? “Anyway,” she went on. “It’s just… I don’t know if she would feel the same way, and she may, you know, not approve.”

“I… uh, see.” I should focus on her problems. “So, you are afraid you may upset her by pursuing her affections?”

“Yes. I don’t want to ruin my relationship with her. She’s a good friend. If… if she gets angry with me, I don’t know what I would do.”

“Ah, I see, now this makes more sense…” I nodded. “I believe I understand the problem now. My advice is to press forward and talk to her about this.”

“But what if it upsets her?”

“What friend would she be then?”

She bit her lip.

“Let’s look at it another way. Consider the problem. You wish to let her know how you feel about her, but you fear her anger because of the way other ponies have treated you in the past. A friendship requires honesty, from both sides. Even if you choose not to tell her, that breach of trust will erode the friendship. It is a pony you feel affection for, and if the affection is based on deception, it will create discord. You will feel guilt and shame around her, making her presence a misery for you. She will sense this and feel hurt. You will always also mistrust her, and must lie to her constantly, compounding the problem. You may even question why she would put you in this position, and grow to resent her. Your friendship may survive it, but it will be wounded and diminished for a long time. Furthermore, if she is a friend she will be loyal to you, and will eventually learn that your perfectly natural affections are… natural?” I paused for a moment. “Are ponies really that opposed to sapphic relations in this age?”

“Uhh…”

“Sorry, the idea confuses me. Where was I? Ah, yes. Best to be honest with her, and work out your differences in the clear, lest they fester.”

“I… yeah. Yeah, I guess you are right.” She laughed. “Thank you princess.” She smiled then. I was glad for it.

“It was my pleasure.” I said. I leaned back. Another question came to mind. From the start. “I am confused though, why you chose to come to me.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Why you came to me rather than another confidant, or even my sister.”

“Oh, I could never speak to Celestia about something like this!”

“Why not? It seems she would be a better choice than I. She only has a thousand years more experience with friendship than myself; and for good reason I may add. Consider that I am not even aware that apparently ponies find a mare wishing to kiss the rose something to object to.”

“Kiss the…” Her face suddenly blushed as her eyes widened in shock. “Oh my.”

“So, my advice comes from a questionable source. My sister seems like a better choice.”

“You sell yourself short, princess. Plus, like I said… I could never bother Celestia with this.” The mare seemed helpless for a moment. “She’s the princess. She spends all this time ruling nations and the like-”

“And I don’t?” I frowned.

“Oh. OH! No, no no no! I didn’t mean it like that, Princess.” She was scrambling. “I don’t-never-meant to question your authority or contribution to Equestria. It’s just… Celestia’s life is Equestria, and I’m… just a maid in her castle. I can’t intrude on that. Not for a question like that.” She smiled at me. “I’ve seen you playing with the foals in the garden on Nightmare Night, and swearing when you lose a round of Go with the librarian. You’re so smart, and funny, and kind. Celestia… I know she is a wise pony and the kindest pony I’ve ever met, but… she’s not like you.”

“If you believe my sister is free of swears, you should see her after she deals with the Griffonian ambassador.” Not like me? Of course she wasn’t. She wouldn’t... My frown softened slightly as I spoke again. “Still, I don’t see why those things matter. My sister is just as kind, much kinder, pony than I, and much wiser besides. I appreciate your flattery, but... please, don’t fear my sister. Honestly I would feel safer knowing you had gotten her perspective. So, if you need more advice, please, you can see her.” There was an awkward pause. Not like me? I glanced at the clock. “It is getting late. Is there anything else?”

“Oh... no, I guess not”

“Would you like a guard to escort you home?”

“No, that’s fine.” She stood, and then frowned.. “I… Luna?”

“Yes?”

“I just want to say, really, and truly, thank you. For what you told me. It really means a lot to me. I…” She paused, looking away. Then she was in the air, flying towards me and-

It was warm suddenly. After a moment she removed her legs from around my neck.

“Thank you. You really are a smart and kind pony, and don’t sell yourself short. I mean it!” She glanced around rapidly. “I have to go! I'll tell you how it works out. Thanks, Bye!”

And with that she fled my chambers.

I turned back to my desk, tome blooming underneath me. I set back to the task I had begun before she came. Still, I had much to think about.

Comments ( 21 )

Her crush is Luna I bet.

This could definitely be continued.

5113061

Then why did she hug Luna, promise to tell her how it went, and then fly away? :rainbowhuh:

Anyway, I liked this story. It was very earnest, realistic, and touching. And your characterization of Luna was very, very good.

5113335

Perhaps by having the maid come back and tell Luna all about how she was heartbreakingly rejected, and focusing on how their friendship grows and Luna adapts to a modern world.

Hey, this was pretty good!

Nice work, dude!

~Skeeter The Lurker

This was a lovely little vignette! Good characterization, decent pacing, and quite appropriate fumbling conversation between two ponies who are both slightly flustered for very different reasons :derpytongue2:

My only complaint about it is the paragraph grouping. The manner and order in which thoughts, dialogue, and actions appear or are put together was a bit jarring. Not enough to completely push me out of the story, but enough to be distracting.

As an aside, my heart gave a happy flutter at "a mare wishing to kiss the rose". What a beautiful phrase! I am likely to incorporate that into my personal lexicon, especially as it is *ahem* directly personally applicable :pinkiegasp:

Anyway, thanks for a great story, and have a wonderful day and more!

Light and laughter,
SongCoyote

Great story and amazing characterization, though personally it was a bit awkward to read it :P

Yes. This is awesome!

This story doesn't feel complete. At least not completely. Still it was a nice read. Edit: Goes to read the sequel.

Pretty good! Would've cleared up a few things here and there (like that one huge paragraph of dialogue) but definitely worth the read. One like for you!

Comment posted by Mad deleted Oct 16th, 2014
Mad

I can relate to Luna, I don't know shit about love :rainbowlaugh:

I dig it. :ajsmug:

EDIT: Posted this to the wrong page by accident. My apologies. ^^;

5114417

Because she was too shy and awkward to tell her at that moment, possibly.

I loved it! One minor note:

So I just worry about telling people.” Replace people with ponies. :derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment