• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 10,850 Views, 1,075 Comments

Sunset Shimmer: Element Bearer - ConningOfficer



A heroine instead of a villain, Sunset Shimmer becomes a leader to her friends at Canterlot High. She begins by helping Sonata Dusk after the Battle of the Bands...

  • ...
22
 1,075
 10,850

Chapter Twenty-One

Elegant Ensemble yawned as she parked her car behind Rarity’s convertible in front of the Carousel Boutique. She raised her eyebrow as she noticed dirt caking the vehicle’s back bumper and rear wheel wells, spoiling its normally pristine appearance. She shouldered her bag, removed the keys to the store and finally reached back into the car for her travel mug.

She yawned again, took a long drink of her espresso and said to herself, “I really shouldn’t have agreed to that last cocktail with that gentleman last night, but his stories were just so interesting! It’s a pity he must return to his duty station at Neighport. A rough Saturday morning is simply the price I must pay for swimming in the dating pool at my age.”

The midmorning sun, filtered through a sheet of high clouds, caused Elegant to squint as she approached the front door. She assessed and then accepted her blonde-haired, blue-eyed reflection in the store’s front window. Elegant then turned her key in the lock and pulled the door outward. In the darkened boutique, she announced, “Good morning, girls! I’m--”

“Shhh!” came an insistent hiss. The voice whispered, “Do be a dear, Elegant, and close the door. I suspect we’ll be opening a bit late today.”

The lamp on the sewing table was the sales floor’s only illumination. Rarity, her red spectacles perched on the end of her nose, was concentrating intently on her work, which appeared to be hand-sewing several pieces of heavy black canvas with a large needle. Elegant’s jaw dropped as she noticed that every garment rack had been pushed to the side of the room. Camping equipment, personal items, food, water, a composite bow and what appeared to be farming tools were laid out on the shop’s floor.

In the center of it all, folded into a lightweight sleeping bag, was Sunset. She slept on her side, her chest rising and falling slowly, while her left hand rested on a thick book that lay near her head. Elegant slipped off her high heels and tiptoed over to Rarity.

“You know I have learned to accept your flights of fancy, but what in the world is going on here?” whispered Elegant.

Rarity removed three pins from her mouth and used them to attach two more stiff box-shaped pieces of canvas to a sturdy webbed belt. She set down the item, turned to Elegant and softly but urgently inquired, “Elegant, do you remember what I told you about the Fall Formal and my friend Twilight?”

“Yes, I do,” replied the older woman, gazing skeptically at her employer. “But, you had to have been making all of that up. You are prone to exaggeration, after all.”

Shaking her head sadly, Rarity stood and brought her head close to Elegant’s ear and whispered, “I wish it were so, but the magic and the danger were real. Something has happened that’s ten times worse, and my friends and I must take care of it.” Rarity extended a thick envelope towards Elegant. “If you do not hear from me by Monday morning, open this, and then take it to our lawyer. It transfers ownership of the Carousel Boutique to you.”

Startled by the younger woman’s declaration, Elegant’s brow furrowed in confusion, as she steadied herself by placing a hand on the sewing table. “What are you up to?” she quietly asked. When Rarity did not respond, she rubbed her blue eyes and added, “You’re telling me that everything this past weekend was real? The green mist, the holographic monsters, and the rainbow laser-effect – all of that was magic?”

Rarity nodded and pointed at Sunset’s restful figure. Her tone was plaintive, bordering on pleading. “Yes, Elegant. And, she is our only chance to prevent a horrible magical catastrophe. She wasn’t even born in our world! Darling, there’s no time to engage more conventional assistance. My friends and I must complete this quest ourselves, at the risk of our own lives. Under no circumstances will I give you more details. Please, trust me on this, though I understand that it must be difficult to do so.”

The older woman looked back at Sunset and then into Rarity’s intense, desperate gaze. At last, she sighed and nodded her agreement. “I know better than to fight you once you’ve made up your mind, Rarity. A gentleman told me an interesting story about selfless, courageous acts last night over a drink, so I’m sympathetic. But, permit me this: Is there anything I can do to help?” asked Elegant worriedly. Her gaze lingered on a stray ray of sunlight that penetrated the curtains to reflect off of the bright steel of Applejack’s sickle.

Rarity forced Elegant’s fingers to close over the envelope. Solemnly gazing into her eyes, she gravely replied, “There are three things, darling: First, we will leave one of our group behind, and Sunset will want you to take care of her for a time. Second, do not alert the authorities of our disappearance unless you are forced to open the envelope.” Rarity permitted herself a small smile. “And third, please hold these pockets together for me. I’ve never quite made anything like this before, and it’s more difficult than I thought!”

During the next half-hour, Elegant quietly assisted Rarity with several tasks while Sunset continued her slumber in the center of the floor. The proprietor hung a sign on the front door that said “Unexpectedly closed for our Spring Inventory,” updated the business’ accounting records and helped Rarity finish her gift for Sunset.

As noon grew closer, Rarity and Elegant began to hear footfalls from the second floor along with the telltale “whoosh” of water through the building’s pipes. Sunset flipped over, as she inexorably climbed towards wakefulness.

When they finished their work, Rarity suddenly reached a shaking hand across the table and laid it atop Elegant’s steady one. The older woman nearly flinched in surprise, then relaxed and gave the white hand a reassuring squeeze. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be alright."

“Maybe not this time, Elegant,” Rarity murmured, removing her spectacles for a second and wiping her eyes.

As Sunset stretched and opened her eyes at long last, Elegant leaned across the table and whispered to Rarity, “You’ll tackle your problems head-on like you always do, with the passion and independence I’ve come to admire. After all these years, I’m just glad to see you accept the same sort of generous help you have always given to your friends – and to your sister. It’s a welcome change.” Elegant winked and released Rarity’s hand.

Rarity smiled and said loudly and pleasantly, “Good morning, sleepyhead!”

The purple semicircles now gone from underneath her green-blue eyes, Sunset threw both arms above her head and stretched again. She looked over at the sewing table and grinned at the pair of fashion designers. “Oh, I see. I rate a wake-up party. How long was I out? I haven’t slept that well in years!”

Elegant stood and cleared her throat. “Excuse me, ladies. I’m going to make coffee and ensure that the second floor is still standing.”

She turned towards the stairs and nearly collided with Discord, who wore three different types of military camouflage. Fluttershy was standing close behind, dressed simply for a long road trip.

Blue eyes met red, and Discord was the first to recover from the sudden meeting. He bowed deeply, took Elegant’s hand, moved to kiss it and said in Prench, “Enchanté, Cher—Oof!”

Rarity covered her mouth to stifle a giggle as Fluttershy delivered an elbow to Discord’s ribs and edged past him. Elegant, blushing at Discord’s bizarre attempt at a chivalrous introduction, simply continued upstairs without a word.

Discord rubbed his side and chuckled mischievously in Fluttershy’s direction, muttering, “Element of Kindness, indeed.”

Fluttershy dashed forward to embrace Sunset, who hadn’t yet emerged from the sleeping bag. “You look like you slept very well! I think I was the first one upstairs to get up, because I was surprised when I found that Rarity’s side of the big bed was empty.” Sunset and Fluttershy looked over at the sewing table.

“Well, first, to answer Sunset’s question, I’m guessing you’ve been asleep for about ten hours. I have not, and I apologize for abandoning you, Fluttershy but I had true inspiration strike me at about six this morning,” said Rarity enthusiastically, removing her eyeglasses and placing them on the table. Her deep blue eyes were beaming. “Sunset, I have made you something eminently practical for the trials ahead. Come here and I’ll show you!”

Sunset rose to her feet and made her way over to Rarity’s restored inspiration space. Discord and Fluttershy stood off to the side as Rarity guided Sunset to stand at the focal point of the three-paneled mirror.

Sunset could see Rarity concealing something made from heavy black fabric behind her back. The fashion designer pleasantly ordered, “Close your eyes, darling.” When Sunset complied, she added, “Oh, and Fluttershy, be a dear and come give me some help.”

Sunset felt the scratchy cloth wrap around her waist and over her shoulder. The strap, which draped from her right shoulder to her left hip, carefully avoiding the Element of Redemption, was unusually heavy across her chest. One set of hands secured a sturdy plastic buckle around her waist while the other adjusted a strap behind her right shoulder, deftly tucking in the loose end beneath the belt and lingering against her shoulder blade a second or two longer than necessary.

“I can’t have you rummaging around in a backpack like you did last night! Alright darling, you may open your eyes,” directed Rarity.

Sunset’s reflection was blocked by Fluttershy, Discord and Rarity, who all looked at her approvingly. Discord snapped his fingers and a pointed gray hat and a ridiculously long beard flashed into existence along with a puff of smoke. “There! Just what a two-legged magic-user needs!” Cutting his practical joke short, he snapped his fingers again, made the outrageous items disappear and gestured for Sunset to look into the mirror.

Rarity had fashioned a combination belt and sash out of heavy webbed material and attached several modular pockets in varying shapes and sizes. Some were closed with zippers, others with buttons, and some remained open. The silver dagger from Vulcan Anvil’s forge was cleverly concealed in a sheath on the back of the sash. The only splashes of color amid the black fabric were two tiny replicas of Sunset’s cutie mark, with one embroidered atop her shoulder, and the other painted on the belt’s buckle.

Sunset bounded over to Rarity and wrapped her in a warm embrace, then widened her arms and added Fluttershy and Discord to the group squeeze. “Thank you so much, Rarity! It's perfect for my spell components!”

A mildly annoyed voice said, “I hate to interrupt the fashion show, but the clock is ticking.” Aria held a steaming mug of coffee in one hand. Her face frowned, but her eyes smiled.

Sunset removed the bandolier and laid it carefully next to her other belongings. She straightened up, and said, “You’re right, Aria. Let’s get dressed and make sure we have everything we need.”

Pinkie Pie called from the top of the stairs. “Applejack says that if Discord doesn’t get up here with a plunger and some air freshener right now, she’s going to give him to Raven herself!”

The Spirit of Chaos meekly climbed the stairs, holding a polka-dotted plunger in one hand and an oversized toilet brush in the other. He shook his head in exasperation as he complained, “I want to win and go home so I don’t ever have to encounter this situation ever again.” More loudly, he added, “Pinkie, you’re the one that let me have both a burrito and tacos yesterday!”

The building full of women laughed loudly. Fluttershy and Rarity drew back the shades, and let the sun shine through the blinds into the Carousel Boutique as the group set about their tasks.

-----

“Your Majesty!” called Focused Blaze.

“Mother!” called Adagio, swimming closely behind the guardsmare. “I request a word with you!”

Queen Blinding Dazzle looked back at the pair pursuing her, and slowed her transit to the royal living quarters. Her golden eyes flashed with anger and her silver muzzle was contorted in a furious snarl. Specks of inky ebony magic still spat forth from the spires of her crown.

“Your Majesty, please wait for a moment!” implored Focused once more.

The monarch halted in the empty passageway and silently allowed her daughter and her protector to approach.

Adagio chose her words carefully and with as much deference as she could muster. “Your Majesty, I am quite aware that the lives of your subjects are yours to do with as you please...” She nearly faltered when her mother’s golden eyes narrowed dangerously, but continued. “Why did you choose to dirty your fins and slay the merstallion in the throne room?”

Looking suspiciously from Adagio to Focused and back again, assumed superiority dripped from Blinding Dazzle’s words. “I will permit you this answer, only because you are about to serve our Master in the unique way we discussed, my impetuous daughter.” Quick as a sapphire shark, the Queen darted towards the Princess. “You must never, ever, give those that disobey our Master the slightest bit of mercy. If that seed of hope sprouts, it will destroy us. It will destroy you!”

Focused Blaze’s scales were suddenly dull. Her voice was uncharacteristically soft as she said, “Princess, please permit Her Majesty to recover from the events in the throne room. I will escort you to the music mistress.”

Adagio shrugged off the tactful attempt to end the confrontation. She remained floating in place, with her golden muzzle a few inches from her mother’s silver scales. The young princess asked, “How do we properly carry out our duty to lead the clans, when we kill so quickly? How do we replace the lost resource of a trained warrior? How can a murdered guardstallion be put to the question to tell us about others that might betray us? A convert or a spy serves us much better than a corpse, Your Majesty.”

The Queen laughed in her daughter’s face. “You fool! After all I’ve told you, you still cling to your misguided idealism. That insolent wretch may be dead, but he will continue to serve the Master forever. If my plan succeeds, he will serve us forever!”

Adagio resisted the temptation to cringe and stoically endured her mother’s unhinged laughter. The Queen, still cackling, whirled around and swam out of sight.

“Come, Princess. Let me make you some kelp tea. There’s someone I’d like for you to meet,” said Focused, gently nudging Adagio towards the officer’s barracks.

Adagio nodded. “Thank you, Captain. I appreciate the offer and accept. I admit that my mother has been increasingly unwell lately.”

Color returned to Focused’s scales. She lowered her head respectfully, and said softly, “You are not the only one to have noticed this, Your Highness. I fear she is no longer hearing the Master’s words clearly. Please follow me to my humble quarters. I would be honored if you would meet my daughter.”

Adagio suddenly awoke. She sat straight up in bed, her heart racing, the filmy sheets soaked with sweat despite the spring chill. Sweeping damp curls from her face, her breathing slowed and the dream returned to the depths of memory. Adagio picked up the alarm clock from where she had knocked it to the floor during her restless sleep.

She looked at the clock and frowned. “There’s not much time. I’m sure Raven didn’t lift a bony finger to look after the sacrifices last night. They will be awake in a couple of hours and I must be ready to supervise them.”

Adagio went into the attached bathroom. She splashed some cold water on her face and rapidly fixed her cloud of orange curls. Anticipating the struggles that would punctuate her last evening in this world, Adagio decided to dress simply, in a gray t-shirt, a half-unzipped black fleece vest, stylish black jeans, and practical boots.

Returning to the bedroom, she surveyed the disorganized pile of possessions, rolled up her sleeves, and grimly started to work. She spread her items on the bed, and emptied Sonata’s seabag on the floor. A millennium's worth of practice took over, and she quickly packed her basic travel kit, including her sleeping bag and tiny pillow.

Her hands hovered over her painting equipment, and her whirlwind of motion came to a sudden stop. Adagio wiggled her fingers and thought, If this works, I won’t have hands again. I’m never coming back to this world.

Sonata’s empty olive-drab seabag taunted Adagio. She tentatively stepped around the bed and looked at the collection of items spread across the area rug. Adagio picked up a tiny wooden chest, placed it in the palm of her hand and opened the lid. It was full of neatly organized, easy to hide keepsakes that meant something to Sonata. Adagio realized she had never taken the time to learn their significance.

“An old copper coin; a ticket stub; a brass button from those terrible uniforms; a poker chip from Las Pegasus; a yellowed playbill from Trottingham; a red, white and blue ribbon…” she sank to her knees and took inventory, naming each item but only knowing a tiny bit about it. Closing the chest, she regretfully said to herself, “A thousand years of shared experiences, and now we’re all apart. At least you will have your bracelet until I can bring you with me, Sonata.”

Adagio left her clothing behind, replacing the space in her pack with the memory chest, the sketch pad full of drawings and a couple of the sheets she had painted with Sonata. She stuffed Sunset Shimmer’s items in the pack’s front compartment and placed the stolen butterfly knife in one of the fleece vest’s pockets.

This is a grave risk, but it’s better to dare greatly to rule Aquastria than to return to a life on the run with the Master’s magic slowly leaking out of me, Adagio thought as she looked at her determined reflection. Aria, please get here soon! Your future Queen needs her protector.

Adagio shouldered her backpack and carefully descended the stairs. With the beakers, flasks, hot plates and ingredients scattered across the counter, the kitchen looked more like a chemistry lab than a place to prepare food. Raven added drop of purple liquid to a test tube, and looked up from her work as the Siren princess came into her view.

“Good morning, Adagio. I hope you are well rested after such a long slumber,” said the banshee cheerfully.

Grimacing slightly at the veiled insult, the Siren faked a pleasant smile and replied, “I envy your endurance, Raven. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to use the expression ‘slept like the dead’ ever again. But yes, I had good rest. After a meal, I’ll be ready to move our guests.”

Raven added a pinch of green powder to the test tube and stirred it with a slender glass rod. “I’ve nearly finished with the mind-clouding potion. May I recommend some subterfuge to make sure the girls drink it?”

I tire of her patronizing attitude, even if she is a powerful banshee, thought Adagio. Aloud, she added patiently, “I’ll always take good advice. What did you have in mind?” She retrieved a pair of packaged energy bars from the pantry, opened one and took a large bite.

The banshee set the test tube in the rack and placed both palms on the counter. She leaned forward and said, “Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle still see me as a teacher, and the sleeping draught will have jumbled their memories. But you, Your Highness, are a potent source of fear.”

“Oh, so you will just hand them a cup as they’re chained to the bed, and then all’s well?” asked Adagio sarcastically. She paused to wipe her mouth on the back of her hand between bites.

Raven narrowed her flat black eyes and cautioned Adagio. “We each know the other is not a fool. It’s unwise to treat me like one.” She continued more pleasantly. “I want you to chain me to the fourth bed so that they believe I’m in the same predicament that they are. All four of us will appear to be innocent women held captive by the ruthless Siren!”

“But, what if I conveniently lose the key to the handcuffs?” Adagio playfully asked, raising an eyebrow.

Raven pulled the heavy steel rack out of the oven and chuckled. “Oh, those chains downstairs can’t hold me!” In one fierce motion, she folded the oven rack in half. As she did so, Adagio noticed a faint glow from one of the banshee’s bracelets.

She’s not as naturally strong as I feared, thought Adagio. Perhaps Aria and I have a chance after all if I can relieve her of some magic items. Of course, we must strike first.

Raven set the oven rack down and continued. “I will convince the girls to drink the ‘water’ to keep their strength up. Once the potion takes effect, release me so I don’t have to pour concrete into the basement floor again, then start leading the girls to the cave. I’m sure that while their minds are clouded, you can find appropriate lies to convince the three of them to follow you down the path.

“Hmph,” said Adagio, nodding with grudging admiration. “Like lambs to the slaughter. I’m impressed, Raven. That’s quite devious. How long will the potion last?”

Raven scribbled on a scratch pad, underlined a number, then turned to Adagio and said, “It will last a few hours. I recommend giving them another dose in the late afternoon, but their minds will be clear by midnight, so we can perform our ritual.”

Reaching back into the pantry, Adagio removed a loaf of Prench bread. With false casualness, she asked, “Raven, how will you have your Lord bring my Master to us?”

“Tsk, tsk, Your Highness!” Raven’s chuckle sounded like dry leaves rasping against stone. “I won’t give away all my secrets, but suffice it to say that I have a way to do so that is mine alone. I’ll call for Lord Vecna to nudge He-Who-Swims-In-Darkness sometime after midnight. Think of it as a particularly final ‘last call’, Adagio.” The banshee smiled at her own joke.

While noting the banshee’s ominous comment, Adagio tore the loaf of bread into four large chunks and placed each chunk on a paper plate. She changed the subject back to the task at hand. “I would like to provide food to the sacrifices, while you trick them into drinking the potion. There is something darkly poetic about prisoners having a meal of bread and water.”

Rolling her dark eyes with disdain, Raven said, “They won’t starve to death in a day, Adagio.”

“But confused or not, they will need some stamina to make the walk down to the cave and to squeeze through that narrow opening in the back. Your knockout dessert was a long time ago,” Adagio insisted.

Raven’s unnerving laugh issued forth from her mouth once again. A hint of sarcasm entered her voice as she said, “I didn’t know you were so maternal! If I didn’t know you so well, I’d say you were starting to go soft.”

“There is much that you don’t know about me, Raven,” Adagio replied, absently rubbing her stomach with her free hand. “But, I assure you, this is a completely practical decision.”

The banshee threw her hands in the air in mock surrender and smiled. “Forgive me for harassing you so much. I agree that your idea is sound. After so much experience with teenagers, you make an excellent point. Their feet and brains are completely controlled by their stomachs. I’ll finish the potion and we’ll proceed.”

Adagio added butter to the large hunks of bread while Raven finished her work. The completed potion was clear, with the same rusty hue of water coming from a pipe that hadn’t been used in a long time. The banshee carefully divided the product of her alchemical skill between six water bottles, giving each only a tiny tinge of color.

“I see. One dose now, and another later,” Adagio noted as she placed two untainted bottles of water in her backpack.

Raven filled the sink with soapy hot water and submerged the alchemical glassware. She wiped her hands with a dish towel and nodded approvingly. “Good, I don’t need to waste time leading you through every aspect of the plan, but I will say this: It’s vitally important that you keep the three girls under your spell until night falls and there’s no chance of intrepid hikers or amorous-minded couples stumbling on our ritual site.”

“It appears that you’re nearly finished here,” Adagio observed with a sweeping gesture that encompassed the kitchen. “Is there anything else you need to do before I set out the ‘snack’ for our guests and set you up to be a false damsel in distress?”

Flashing a crooked grin, Raven replied, “No, Adagio, I think we’re ready. But, I have installed microphones in the basement.” She pointed towards a radio sitting on the table next to the large easy chair. “Channel two will let you hear everything downstairs. So, once I’m staged as ‘your captive,’ you can brew a cup of coffee, put your feet up and relax, Your Highness.”

The banshee led the way to the basement. As she followed, Adagio thought, Raven’s left very little to chance. She’s even still dressed in her work clothes from the previous day, just as it would be if I had abducted her.

Adagio carefully placed the plates holding the simple snack on the floor next to each girl’s bed. Raven trailed behind with the potion-laced water bottles. The three girls had barely budged since they had been secured into place the previous night. Their chests rose and fell slowly and peacefully, oblivious to their incarceration.

The words to a nearly-lost lullaby came to mind from deep in the Siren’s memory. Adagio bent over Apple Bloom’s bed and inhaled, but before she could give voice to the first note, she thought, I’d sooner die than let Raven hear that song.

Grimly recalling her earlier experience with the banshee’s alchemy, Adagio stood straight, crossed her arms and idly commented, “I wonder what dreams they are having. Your sleeping draught gave me a particularly vivid experience.”

“Shush, Adagio.” Raven put her index finger to her lips and whispered, “We don’t want to wake them before I’m settled in.”

The Siren silently nodded, and thought. Why would dreams force her to change the subject? Raven almost always answers my questions, even if it’s just to prove her superiority. Adagio kept a poker face as she came to a conclusion. This plan, while it fits my purposes, gives me almost no opportunity to speak to the three girls while their minds are clear. There must be a reason why.

Raven handed Adagio the keys to the restraints, and then lay down on the last empty bed in the soundproofed basement. She permitted Adagio to lock both the handcuffs and the anklecuffs. Standing up straight, she brushed her orange curls out of her face and smiled sarcastically at the banshee. She said softly, “Is that tight enough for you, Raven?”

“Just because I’m doing this, doesn’t mean I enjoy it! Attach the chains and leave me be,” Raven snapped. “The sooner I get started, the better.”

Once back upstairs, Adagio muttered to herself, “Raven is annoyed. I hope Aria finds a way to bring Discord here. If he’s nearby, I know I can make that spark of annoyance grow into a blaze of anger to force the banshee into a mistake.”

After a few minutes, Adagio was seated in Raven’s easy chair, drinking a mug of coffee and flipping through her sketch book. At last, she turned on the “monitor”, which was already tuned to the appropriate channel.

Adagio heard Raven speaking to the three teenage girls. The Siren rolled her eyes at the banshee’s overdramatic acting. “Oh, it’s terrible! We’ve been trapped in this basement by a lunatic! Do you remember the Battle of the Bands? It’s one of those awful Dazzlings!”

Scootaloo’s determined voice came through the speaker. “It has to be Adagio! She’s the only Siren that’s not accounted for!”

Good, Aria’s plan has worked like a charm. She’s completely infiltrated the group, thought Adagio.

“Adagio? It’s so hard to remember, girls. She must have slipped us some drugs,” moaned Raven in false confusion.

Sweetie Belle, despite the fearful edge in her voice, was eager to help. “Ms. Raven, don’t you remember the girl with the long orange hair and the spiky hair clip?”

“Was that her name? All I remember is that a red sports car blocked the road, and I was forced to stop. I talked to her, and then woke up here. Now, we must calmly think of survival and escape. Girls, I bet you’re thirsty. Adagio, if that’s her name, left us some water,” said Raven convincingly.

A skeptical voice with a country accent interrupted. “Are you sure, Ms. Raven? I’m really thirsty, but I’m not sure we should eat or drink anything that Adagio gives us,” said Apple Bloom.

That’s my smart girl, thought Adagio with mingled approval and annoyance.

“Yeah! Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer will figure out how to rescue us soon enough. They were really close to figuring out what Adagio was up to,” said Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle groaned and added, “Well, they need to hurry. I’m really hungry and thirsty.”

Sensing the opening, Raven earnestly said, “Well, I drank my water and had a few bites of my bread, and I’m doing alright. Maybe Adagio has something else in mind. You really should keep your strength up.”

After a bit more convincing from Raven, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were convinced that the bread and tainted water were safe. Adagio listened intently as Raven masterfully misdirected the three girls and concocted an elaborate backstory covering the past twelve hours.

“I’m glad that they didn’t take the banshee’s story at face value; it shows their inner strength. It’s a pity that they are such ideal gifts to the Master, but it is the way of my mother and all those that came before her.” The Siren’s voice cast aside its regret, and took on a regal tone as she summarized one of her mother’s more lucid lessons. “As rulers, we are forced to sacrifice a tiny number to He-Who-Swims-in-Darkness to ensure an unchallenged rule; we lift the burden of choice from those too weak to endure it; and most importantly, we protect Aquastria and its citizens from enemies.”

“But my mother didn’t have to resort to this sort of high-stakes deception, did she?” The Siren began to pace the living room. “Think, Adagio! What can I say to convince them? How can I fool them? Who would the girls listen to?”

Suddenly, she recalled the story that several students had told her about Apple Bloom’s farming family. After a quick internet search on her phone, she found the information she sought. Placing the phone back in her pocket, Adagio clapped her hands once in satisfaction. “That’s it! So many of them at the high school said something along the lines of, ‘It’s as good as a secret, because nobody talks about it anymore.’ Now, how to quickly change my appearance?”

She quickly removed her tiara, currently in its normal hair ornament configuration, and placed it in her vest pocket along with the stolen knife. Then, Adagio tied a piece of string around her long orange hair at a point that was nearly level with her shoulders. For the finishing touch, she raced upstairs with a pair of kitchen scissors and cut a strip of fabric from one of the discarded outfits, fashioning it into a purple bow that she placed on the back of her head, further restraining her curly locks.

“It’s only a wild guess, and the Apples won’t be welcoming me to a barn-raising anytime soon, but, perhaps I,” she passably imitated Applejack’s accent, “can fake it better than a puffer-fish facing down a barracuda.”

Adagio could easily tell when the potion took effect, because the girls stopped speaking about their imprisonment, and began fixating on random observations. She listened to their comments through the speaker, and decided it was time to release Raven. Adagio paused to listen at the top of the stairs.

“This pillow is fluffy, like a cloud. I bet if I was flying in an airplane, I could pinch off a piece of cloud and take it home with me,” Scootaloo sighed dreamily.

Sweetie Belle’s squeaky voice chimed in. “That light, it’s so bright, like I’m back on stage at CHS! But, I’ve never done a play lying down. Am I in a movie? Lights! Camera! Action! Silver Spoon, go get me a latte!”

Where the other two girls were mildly euphoric, Apple Bloom was distressed. “Where are the windows? Help! Big Mac! Applejack! Granny! I’m trapped in the feed box!”

Adagio prepared herself to play her role. She took a deep breath and glided down the stairs. Raven looked at her quizzically and presented her wrists, so the Siren could release her from her fake imprisonment.

“A new cast member!” announced Sweetie Belle grandly. Her pale green eyes were unfocused as she looked in the general direction of the stairs.

Adagio remembered what she had just quickly read in the obituary and associated news stories, and only let a hint of an accent come into her tone as she stood in front of all four beds. “It is I, Citrus Blossom, and I’ve come to take you from this place.”

Apple Bloom tried to get up and fell back down as she ran out of the slack in the chains. The empty bread plate fell to the concrete floor. “Ma! Get me out of here!”

Impossibly, Raven’s jaw fell open and her flat dark eyes widened with surprise. She nodded respectfully to Adagio and played her part in the improvised scene. “Girls, please be patient. Apple Bloom, your mother is going to get me out of here first and will then return to take you to safety.”

“Yes. Your captor is gone for a little while, but she’ll return soon enough. Once I’ve helped Ms. Raven, I’ll take you to a place to hide,” said Adagio, spreading her arms wide in an exaggerated protective gesture. She unlocked the restraints holding the banshee.

Scootaloo, her pupils dilated and eyes leaking tears, threw herself into Adagio’s story with abandon. “Mrs. Blossom, I’m so glad you’re alright! I’ve spent my whole life being sorry for what happened to you, Apple Bloom’s daddy, and my parents!”

Free of the chains, Raven got to her feet and started to follow Adagio upstairs. Apple Bloom, barely coherent, shrieked, “Ma! Don’t leave me again! Please come back!”

The Siren hesitated on the bottom stair, then decisively turned around and went to Apple Bloom’s bed. Adagio wrapped her arms around the inconsolable, chained farmgirl. Tenderly, she said, “Be quiet and brave, my daughter. I had a surprise for when we reached our hiding place, but I’ll tell you now if it will make you feel better.”

Her tears wet against Adagio’s neck, Apple Bloom stopped crying and asked, “What is it, Ma?”

“Your father will be waiting for you when we get there,” lied Adagio convincingly. An unusual sensation crept into the pit of her stomach as she said the words and felt the drugged girl in her arms relax.

As the Siren untangled herself from the embrace and the chains, Apple Bloom said, “I’ll be brave, Ma. I’ve always tried to be.”

The unease in Adagio’s stomach grew as she ascended the stairs, followed closely by Shrieking Raven. When they reached the main floor and closed the door to the basement, the banshee stopped playing her role as an abducted schoolteacher.

Bowing deeply and adding an antiquated flourish, Raven said, “I bow before a true master of deception. That was brilliant, Adagio! As long as the girls receive their second dose of the potion, they will follow you to Tartarus and back.”

“Thank you, Raven,” said Adagio, subtly shifting her weight from one foot to the other. Her nausea growing, she was eager to conclude the conversation with the banshee. She raised her chin authoritatively, and ordered, “I request you stay out of sight as I transport the sacrifices. I will see you at the cave after sunset, as we discussed.”

Raven nodded admiringly at Adagio once more. “Very well, Adagio. And once again, using Apple Bloom and Applejack’s dead mother as a lure is masterful.” She turned on her heel and ascended the stairs to the second floor.

After the banshee disappeared upstairs, the Siren walked over to the sink and filled a glass of water. She drank it down completely. Before returning to the basement, Adagio retrieved and opened Sunset’s compact to check her reflection, and failed to meet her own gaze. She placed the scrying device back into her pack.

The stairs creaked as Adagio walked down the stairs. As all three girls looked at her blankly, she said, “I’m back. Remember, I’m Citrus Blossom.”

“Ma, thank heavens you came back for us!” cried Apple Bloom. “I hope Ms. Raven’s alright.”

Releasing Apple Bloom first, Adagio instructed the Crusaders. “She will be fine, my brave daughter. Girls, we must be quiet and careful. I’m taking you to a secret place that few people know about, but it will be a tough walk down a steep path. Are you ready?”

“I was born ready, Mrs. Blossom!” said Scootaloo. “Just wait until Rainbow Dash hears about this!” Despite the brash tone in her voice, she swayed unsteadily from side to side.

Adagio released the other two girls, and swallowed some bile in her throat as she said, “You may not need to wait very long, Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash will probably find us later tonight.” She turned to Sweetie Belle and added, “And so will Rarity. Follow me upstairs, quietly.”

“Whoa! My head feels like it’s been wrapped in cotton candy. Where’s Silver with my drink?” Sweetie Belle wondered, her head tilting to one side.

Apple Bloom took charge and said, “I’m not feeling so great either, but I have to see Pa. Hold hands, just like we’re back in elementary school. Ma will make sure we get there.”

Smiling genuinely, Adagio nodded. “Good idea, Apple Bloom. Thank you for helping your friends. Now, we must go.”

The group of four slowly climbed the stairs, hand-in-hand. When they reached the kitchen, the Siren shouldered her backpack, adjusted the straps, and gripped Apple Bloom’s hand once more. As they left the cabin, Adagio looked back and saw Raven standing in a second-floor window, watching the slow procession towards the wooded path. Her human disguise gone, Adagio gulped in fear upon seeing the skeletal face with its humanlike eyes and perfectly coiffed black hair. She tugged gently on Apple Bloom’s hand, urging the teenagers to move a bit faster.

Despite the bright afternoon sunlight, it took them nearly an hour to cover the mile between the cabin and the entrance to Bridal Cave. The path was poorly maintained and steep, which would have caused the trip to be slow and cautious under the best of circumstances. Adagio’s trips to the cave the night before proved to be useful, as the girls’ altered mental state slowed their progress to a crawl.

At last, they arrived safely on the sand and gravel beach, where Lake Piebald’s cold waves lapped the shore. Adagio looked up at the steep thirty-foot tall rise that they had managed to safely descend and shook her head with relief. She could see the entrance to the cave about a hundred yards away.

“Hurry, girls! We’re almost to our hiding place!” said Adagio, shielding her eyes against the sun.

The entrance to the cave was no larger than a standard door, but once inside, the first chamber opened into a spherical cavern with a huge vaulted ceiling. The walls were coated with bluish celestite crystals, and stalactites above were paired with stalagmites below.

“Ma, why are your eyes pink?” asked Apple Bloom, noticing Adagio’s glowing magenta eyes.

Growing weary of the lies, Adagio sighed and answered truthfully, “It’s magic, Apple Bloom. I can see well in the dark, so let’s all hold hands more tightly.”

Opposite the entrance, the large circular chamber narrowed into what appeared to be a small crevice. An optical illusion created by the celestite crystals and the cave pearls concealed an entrance to a second cavern.

Adagio released herself from Apple Bloom’s grip and led Scootaloo forward. “Squeeze through the opening, little one. Our safe place is in there.”

She repeated her instructions to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, and then removed her backpack and shoved it through the opening ahead of her. Adagio inhaled, and scraped her way through the snug entrance, and nearly fell over all three girls who huddled together in the darkness. Water droplets and ragged breathing were the only audible sounds.

“Stay here for a moment. I’ll turn on the light,” said Adagio as she made her way through the darkness.

Sweetie Belle giggled. “It’s so dark! I can smell Scootaloo, but I can’t see her!”

“Quiet! I want to see Pa!” cried Apple Bloom.

I need to give them the second dose of potion soon. They are becoming more lucid with every second that passes, thought Adagio. She made her way to the battered camping lantern that had illuminated the Sirens’ aquarium hideout and activated it. The three girls gasped in wonder and Adagio smiled at their reaction, since it was so close to her own the night before.

The second cavern was much larger than the first, about forty yards in diameter. The blue celestite crystals mingled with pyrite and other minerals that reflected prismatically in the dim light. At the back of the cavern, a black pool, fed by an underground river, filled a small semicircle about twenty feet across. The lantern’s light played off of the rippling water, creating an ethereal, dreamlike effect. A small boxlike shelter, covered in sheets, sat next to the subterranean pool.

Adagio retrieved the three tainted water bottles from her pack and gave one to each of the three teenagers. “Girls, I know you must be thirsty from your long hike. Please, could you drink some water before we do anything else?” she implored, mustering her maternal charm.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo eagerly opened their bottles and quickly consumed the contents. Even in the dim light, it was obvious that the potion had a nearly immediate effect. Their pupils dilated, and they began to sway as they stood in place.

Apple Bloom fidgeted with the lid, but didn’t open it. She raised an eyebrow, and asked suspiciously, “Where’s Pa? You said he’d be here. I’ve waited so long!”

Adagio knelt in front of Apple Bloom and opened the water bottle’s lid. She carefully embraced the teenager and answered, “He’s coming from so far away, Apple Bloom. It will take him time to arrive. Pa would want you to be well when he sees you so grown up! Please be brave and drink this for me.” Adagio kept her face neutral as the pit of her stomach tightened once again.

“Yes, Ma,” said Apple Bloom demurely. She obediently drained the water bottle, imbibing her second dose of the mind-clouding potion.

The three girls, now much more easily controlled, made random comments about the cave’s beauty that mixed with their individual dreamlike states. Adagio removed the sheets concealing a ten-foot by seven-foot cage, and grabbed a small bag from inside.

“Girls, remember, we must be very quiet and very still, or we will be found. This is to keep you safe until Pa, Rainbow Dash and Rarity arrive. Will you come here, please?” Adagio removed three gags and six lengths of rope.

The Siren, using the power of suggestion and another series of outrageous lies, convinced the three girls to accept having their hands and feet bound without a fight. Before leading them to the cage, she gagged each one of them.

Apple Bloom nearly broke through her mental haze. Her last plaintive cry before Adagio gagged her was, “Ma! You promised Pa would be here! Where is he? I miss you both so much!”

After locking the three sacrifices into the cage, Adagio slumped to the cave floor. She looked at the trio, obediently waiting and blissfully unaware of their fate. Adagio’s magenta eyes locked with Apple Bloom’s unfocused yellow gaze. Suddenly, the Siren’s mind swam and her stomach heaved. With only a second’s warning, Adagio emptied the contents of her stomach into the dark pool of water.

Wiping the bile and stray vomit from her mouth with the back of her sleeve, Adagio gazed into the black water and said, “By the Maelstrom, what is wrong with me all of a sudden? How can I barter with the Master for their lives and still become Queen? Who would I choose to spare if I could only save one of them?”

With no answer forthcoming from the darkness, the Siren princess settled in for a long wait before her date with destiny.

-----

Sonata set her empty plate on Rarity’s coffee table and curled up on Rarity’s comfortable sofa once again. Despite the golden afternoon sun that streamed through the windows, she rubbed her arms to stave off nearly continual chills. She pulled the warm blanket over her legs and picked up the heavy Aquastrian tome.

Her blue-streaked ponytail extended almost all the way to the floor as she pillowed her head on the arm of the sofa. Sonata said to herself, “Reading this is the only way I can keep my mind off what they’re all doing! Saying goodbye to Aria was so tough!” She carefully opened the ancient book. “So, where was I? Oh, that’s right. I was about to start ‘Part III: The Sudden Fall of Imperial Aquastria.’ Wait, why is there a picture of Discord on the bookmark?”

She removed a gray ribbon from the book, which had a cartoonish picture of the Spirit of Chaos printed on it. One red eye was closed in a conspiratorial wink, and his sarcastic smile seemed wider than usual.

Sonata started to read aloud. “Just as Queen Blinding Dazzle was about to secure victory over the surface Equestrians during the Battle of the Crystal Glacier, the Sirens suddenly disappeared…” Her voice fell silent as she once more became captivated by events that occurred in her undersea home more than a thousand years ago.

-----

Sunset gazed at the last reddish rays of daylight as they disappeared beneath the waves of Lake Piebald. Behind her, over the wilderness that dominated the lakeshore, twinkling stars began to appear in the eastern sky. She closed her eyes and let the light breeze coming off of the cool water ruffle her hair and raise goosebumps on her skin. She raised her right hand to touch the comforting, metallic weight of the Element of Redemption around her neck.

Jumping with surprise, she was jolted back to reality by a loud pop from the rapidly growing campfire. Sunset picked up a thin hooded sweatshirt from the nearby rocks, donned it, and then added her familiar leather jacket to complete the ensemble.

“Okay sugar cube, you have to put the big sticks in the fire and make the whole thing look like a pyramid,” said Applejack, instructing Rarity on how to assist her.

Rarity, holding a single piece of wood about three feet long, edged away from the fire and nervously said, “Perhaps gathering rocks wasn’t such a bad idea after all. It would be such a shame to spoil my marvelous complexion with burns.”

Placing the last rock in the second circle surrounding the campfire, Fluttershy wiped her hands on her jeans, and grinned pleasantly at Rarity. “I think we’re all set here. Rainbow Dash could use some help unloading the van, if it’s not too much trouble.”

“I’m fine, but I’m wondering why we paid for a campsite here when it’s deserted! It’s way too early in the season for anyone to be here,” Rainbow Dash complained, carefully laying Discord’s backpack next to the collection of weapons on the ground.

Wiping her brow with the back of her forearm, Applejack replied, “We have to start out totally above board, or they’ll watch us like a hawk and then Adagio wins.”

Pinkie dumped her large load of firewood next to Applejack. She shook stray leaves and twigs out of her poofy pink curls. “Rares, I have the perfect job for you! Convince that guy that we’re here for the rest of the night and make him leave us alone!” She pointed to a tall, slender man wearing a broad-brimmed hat who stood next to a rugged four-wheel drive vehicle parked about a hundred yards away.

“I’d much rather misdirect the ranger than dig for rocks or pick up firewood!” Rarity winked at Pinkie. “Thank you, darling.” She swayed her hips as she approached the sports utility vehicle.

Hearing Pinkie’s giggle and witnessing the group working so well together, Sunset smiled and strode purposefully towards where the Apple Family’s truck, Pinkie’s Coltswagen and Fluttershy’s van were parked next to three medium-sized dome tents.

For the past half-hour, Discord and Aria had appropriated the campsite’s picnic table. They were deep in conversation, pointing at various locations on a large map of the national park surrounding Lake Piebald. As Sunset approached, Aria crossed her arms over her chest and Discord gestured with both hands in exasperation.

“I don’t like it, Discord. Adagio would want to stay hidden. I say we head for Bridal Cave up here. It’s about two miles away, and there’s no easy path to get there once we leave the battlefield. The terrain practically begs for privacy,” said Aria, impatiently pressing her case.

The Spirit of Chaos waved his hands in front of him and shook his head. “No way, Handlebars. Raven and her ego love to make everything into a grand production. She’ll plunk herself in the center of the tourist area. We need to go to the Crystal Cavern.”

Sunset intervened before Aria’s temper boiled over. “Either way, we’ll have to cross the old battlefield to avoid the ranger station. Even if they’re more customer service than law enforcement, we can’t let them see us carrying all our gear. Once we get here,” she pointed at a junction of two paths at the edge of the battlefield, “we can make our choice.”

Shrugging her shoulders and rubbing her temples, Aria said, “I wish I had more information to give you, Sunset. I texted Adagio to let her know I was here at the lake, but there’s been no answer. Maybe she’s somewhere that doesn’t have any signal. Until she replies, I’ll just have to support your plan.”

“A prudent choice, Sunset." Discord agreed in a serious voice, in stark contrast with his mismatched woodland, desert and urban camouflage. He tapped a rectangular shaped parcel of land next to the battlefield. “Of course, I'm most worried about this obstacle. The Lake Piebald National Cemetery is a grave danger for us, and I assure you that the pun is intentional. Raven will certainly use it as a resource. The only question is how strong her powers have become here in this world.”

Aria’s frown deepened. “Why are we even bothering with the banshee? Our first priority has to be stopping Adagio from hurting the girls and waking my former Master.”

The flashlight in Discord’s hand morphed into a wooden stake, which he used to tap the map once more. He groaned, “It must be part of my probation to have to explain things so simply to those that should know better! Aria, we can’t save them if we can’t get to them! We’ve been over this! If Shrieking Raven can leverage Equestrian magic to absorb more necromantic power, she’ll become a juggernaut of death. We have to neutralize her first.”

Pigtails whipping about as she shook her head violently, Aria growled, “I know you’re being very practical, but I can’t agree with this.”

“That’s enough,” said Sunset calmly, stepping between the two tacticians. “I won’t abandon Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle to die, even if it means splitting our group. It’s all I can do to keep Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity from sprinting out into the wilderness right now.”

Fluttershy’s pin took flight from Discord’s right collar, and his eyes followed it as it attached itself above his left breast pocket. He looked intently at Sunset and warned, “Dividing the unified Elements of Harmony into separate components is a major risk. As a matter of fact, it was my primary goal not so long ago, when I was fighting against your four-legged counterparts.”

Rarity, her conversation with the park ranger having reached a successful conclusion, wandered over to the picnic table to eavesdrop on Sunset, Aria and Discord’s planning.

Sunset tossed a half-dollar into the air, punctuating her explanation. “What’s even more risky is chancing those three girls’ lives on a coin toss. Twice, the Power of Harmony has come to the rescue. Despite the abilities my Element has granted me, I can’t rely on that power to obediently appear at the proper moment.”

Squeezing between Aria and Discord, Rarity broke into the conversation. “Darling, with all that magic at your disposal, surely you can channel that power just like Twilight did,” she said confidently.

“Rarity, while I appreciate your confidence in me, you’re missing the point. I need to give us the best chance of success. I have no idea if I can substitute for Twilight, and even if I could, I don’t know how to call upon the Power of Harmony. I can’t let what happened in the CHS gym last week happen in this situation,” said Sunset, adding an emotional sweep of her right arm.

Aria chuckled. “Yeah, the six of you standing in the center of the gym, holding hands and hoping we’d be blasted by your Orbital Friendship Cannon was pretty hilarious.” She added a wry smile. “No offense.”

“None taken,” grumbled Rarity.

Laying the wooden stake on the map, Discord changed it back into a flashlight. “Fine, I’ll agree to defer this decision. There’s something chaotically brilliant about making it up as you go. Besides, I’m along for the ride no matter what you decide, Sunset. But, our companions are done waiting for us to make up our minds.”

“Correct, Discord. We’ll choose a path once we make it across the battlefield,” said Sunset. Her jaw set with determination. Brushing a stray lock of hair out of her face, she loudly added, “Grab a snack and sit down, everyone. We’ll talk this through one last time.”

Sunset quickly guided Discord, Aria, Pinkie, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash through the initial plan, noting key landmarks on the large map. Twilight gave way to full darkness as the group listened attentively. They munched on snacks and, at Aria’s recommendation, tied each others’ hair into ponytails or braids.

The briefing was nearly complete when Pinkie, who had used a black bandana to somewhat confine her curls, couldn’t contain her curiosity any longer. She interrupted Sunset to ask, “Aria, why aren’t you doing something with your pigtails?”

“Because someone has to be the badass, and aside from Discord, I’m the only one of us who has ever fought in a battle before!” Aria pointed at Rainbow Dash before she could protest. “The Battle of the Bands doesn’t count. Neither does anything sports, music, or skateboarding-related.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and sighed. “Fine, Aria. But, I’ll only give in this time because you kicked my butt in the barn. With a little experience, I’m sure I’ll be even more awesome with my staff than you are with Chainbreaker!” She grinned broadly.

“Ladies, as much as I enjoy this delightful back-and-forth, I believe we need to start moving.” The laughter gave way to attentive silence. Discord snapped his fingers and was immediately wearing his backpack, with the knife given to him by Applejack held in a sheath at his hip. He announced, “I’m ready to go! While you slowpokes get your stuff on, I’d like to give you some important knowledge about the varieties of living dead.”

“Oh dear!” exclaimed Fluttershy in her soft voice. She placed her composite bow over her right shoulder and fumbled with the straps on her belt quiver. “I’m not so sure I want to hear about this, Discord.”

Chuckling, the Spirit of Chaos said, “With that braid, Fluttershy, you look almost like Birgitte Silverbow! I know you’ll have the courage to match. Listen, everyone. I’m sure you’d rather get at least a little advance warning about what we are likely to face.”

“We’re all ears, Discord.” Sunset Shimmer slipped on her bandolier, now stuffed full of spell components from Equestria, and listened attentively along with the others.

Pinkie laughed brightly. “Well, our pony ears haven’t appeared yet, but you get the idea!”

“This isn’t much of a primer, ladies, but it must serve. Skeletons and zombies are the lowest forms of undead. They feel no pain, never get tired and don’t breathe, so you have to destroy enough of their bodies to cause the necromantic magic to collapse,” Discord performed a stage fall, landing harmlessly on his side.

Rarity turned even paler than seemed possible. “Darling, did you just insinuate that those are the easiest monsters to dispatch?”

The Spirit of Chaos stood and snapped his fingers. Rarity’s club appeared in her hand, the sudden weight shift nearly upsetting her balance. “That’s why Aria was so wise to tell you that a fencing weapon is so useless,” Discord explained. “That brass club, on the other hand, will do wonders against a skeleton.”

Attaching her lariat to her belt, Applejack teased Rarity. “See, that roll in the dirt did you some good after all, sugar cube.”

“Raven will likely be able to produce a few pestilential undead. Among these are ghasts and ghouls. A wound from them can paralyze or sicken you, ensuring that you become the creature’s next meal. While it’s painfully obvious advice, just don’t get hit by a festering undead. Gang up on these vile creatures and destroy them quickly,” said Discord, who stood at the center of a cloud of stinking green gas.

“Yuck! That reminds me of what you did to Rarity’s bathroom this morning!” Rainbow Dash stuck her tongue out of the side of her mouth in comically exaggerated disgust.

Discord waved away the foul-smelling cloud, ignored Rainbow Dash’s insult and continued. “I certainly hope that we don’t encounter any non-corporeal undead, like a wraith.”

Her attention captured, Aria stepped forward. Chainbreaker, glowing dimly, was strapped across her back. “You mean an undead monster that doesn’t really have a body, right?”

“Exactly. Shades, ghosts, shadows and wraiths are all forms of spirits that have been ripped from someone or conjured in one way or another. The point is that if we see any of those creatures, we are in serious trouble, because Raven is either using powerful magic items or has become potent enough to kill us with her scream. Here’s the safety tip: If you can see through any of the undead, then only Sunset, Aria and myself can properly deal with them.”

Sunset pulled the hood of her thin sweatshirt over her head and asked, “What spells are most effective against a creature like that, Discord?”

“Fire and lightning are all right, but magic projectiles are my personal favorite.” A ball of purple energy flew forth from his hand and flew into the lake, creating a small hiss of steam. “But, ignore my amusement, because nothing works better than radiant magic to sizzle these types of undead, Miss Baconhair!”

Sunset stepped into the center of the circle of companions. She looked at each of the faces of her seven friends. All of them were dressed in rugged clothing that ensured freedom of movement, with some limited, completely expected adjustments for personal taste. For example, Rarity’s jeans were a bit too expensive and a smidge too tight, Rainbow Dash’s outfit had too many splashes of color to be truly stealthy, and Aria’s clinging bodysuit left her muscular shoulders and arms bare, despite the spring night’s chill.

Sunset nodded to the Spirit of Chaos. “We’re as ready as we can be, Discord.” Turning to address the entire group, she declared, “I gave you all of my feelings last night, so there’s not much more to say. So instead, before we move out, I’ll give you some protection against what we’ll face!” Concentrating, she retrieved a large pearl from her bandolier and crushed it in her fist. The Element of Redemption glowed, along with the hand holding the fragments of the pearl. A green-blue aura enveloped each of them, and then winked out.

“That pearl must have been worth two thousand dollars! It’s a pity you had to destroy it, because it would have looked perfectly divine in a brooch or necklace,” moaned Rarity.

Pinkie Pie gestured with her handaxe and jumped up and down. “It feels like I’m wrapped in a warm blanket! What a perfect spell for a cold night!”

“What did your magic do to us, Sunny?” asked Fluttershy.

Discord answered for her, “It’s a long-lasting enchantment protecting us from evil.” Turning to Sunset, he added, “I know who taught you that spell, and she would be very proud of you. Thank you, because I know it’s going to be a long night.”

“Let’s cut the sentiment short, Discord, but I’m glad you appreciate my handiwork.” She smiled and loudly added, “Okay, Aria, you’re on point!”

The pale glow of Chainbreaker, stowed on Aria’s back, led the way. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Applejack, Discord, Fluttershy, and Rarity followed. The eerie glow of the Element of Redemption around Sunset’s neck brought up the rear, as they left the campsite and headed out into the dark expanse of the Lake Piebald battlefield.

After a half-hour hike, the campground’s light forest gave way to occasional trees as the well-maintained path looped towards the battlefield. In the distance, they saw meticulously reconstructed redoubts from the original battle, covered in lush green turf that towered fifteen feet into the air. The outer walls of each earthwork bristled with tree trunks sharpened to a point. Overhead, the thick crescent moon dimly illuminated the expanse of open ground.

“Our resident egghead didn’t make this trip,” began Rainbow Dash curiously, “so can anyone remind me what happened here?”

Rarity sighed and rolled her eyes. She patiently explained, “More than two hundred years ago, this is the site where the last battle of the War Between the City-States was fought, unifying Cloudsdale, Ponyville, Canterlot and Baltimare into a single nation.”

“I thought you were awake for this one, sugar cube!” teased Applejack. “The Prench Admiral, Blue Mizzen, trapped the Cloudsdale army here with his fleet, while the allied Canterlot and Ponyville army under the command of General Cherry Chop attacked from the land.”

Pulling her hood back and fluffing her hair over the shoulders of her leather jacket, Sunset raised an eyebrow and asked, “I’m embarrassed to ask, but this country is made up of four separate city-states?”

“Were you sleeping through history class, too? Well, now it’s eight, but you’re missing the point!” said Pinkie Pie, ebulliently skipping down the path.

Fluttershy removed her bow from her back and carried it in her hands. She softly added, “The Cloudsdale army didn’t expect to lose control of the sea, and after a long siege, Lord Cornflower was forced to surrender over where the ranger station is now.”

“Thanks for the history lesson, I think. In school, they lost me when they talked about liberty and the constitution and stuff. Why didn’t they talk about the battle? I would have been all into that!” Rainbow Dash complained emphatically, using her staff as a walking stick.

They departed the path and began walking diagonally across the battlefield to the point where the group would finally decide upon a destination. As they stepped onto the grass, they heard a distant rumble, and a dark green flash momentarily lit the sky. The girls huddled together, with Discord standing slightly apart. He lifted his chin and sniffed the air like a bloodhound.

Gesturing towards the nearest redoubt, Aria put a finger to her lips. She stage-whispered, “Something’s wrong. Can you feel it? We need to get up on the high ground.”

Sunset nodded her agreement. “That flash came from the direction of the cemetery. Ready your weapons, everyone.” She quickly took inventory of the spell components secured in her bandolier, double-checking her count of the alicorn feathers.

A ball of light floated from Discord’s finger and drifted towards the next redoubt, about two hundred yards away. This fortification, a twenty-foot tall ridge of earth and sharpened sticks, was larger than the first. According to the map, it was constructed to protect an artillery battery.

A helmet with wings attached to each side suddenly covered his wild brown hair. “Don’t stop here, ladies! I can smell Raven’s magic in the air, but it’s still weak. We must keep moving and make as much progress as we can before its strength builds!” The wings flapped wildly as he jogged towards the next man-made earthwork, his backpack bouncing up and down.

The seven girls stood looking at one another in confusion, when they were jolted back to the present by a soft, high-pitched whine coming from Aria’s back. Chainbreaker, sensing enemies, glowed more brightly than the moment it had come to life. Aria detached the weapon from her pack and held it defensively in both hands.

“That noise coming from your mace sounds like my cousin’s lumber mill!” exclaimed Applejack, who crowded in closely to look at Chainbreaker. Her awestruck face was illuminated by the weapon’s magical light.

Sunset pointed towards Discord, who gestured wildly for them to follow him to the second redoubt. “He’s insane, but he’s got the right idea. We have to keep moving. I’ll give you a little help!”

She took a bear’s claw out of one of the bandolier’s many pockets and placed it in both her palms. The amulet and her hands glowed with an aquatic aura as Sunset concentrated on her spell. The claw evaporated into mist as a wave of energy invigorated the young women. They trotted towards Discord, who had resumed his jog across the battlefield.

“Please, oh please let me use your spell during a soccer game!” panted Rainbow Dash.

Rarity, huffing and puffing as she ran, rolled her eyes. “I think you’re putting the cart before the horse, Rainbow Dash. No offense, Sunset.”

“Yeah, we have to live through this night first!” Pinkie Pie giggled as she skipped as quickly as Rarity ran.

They covered the distance without incident and climbed to the top of the redoubt. Discord was standing at the barrier’s highest point, with his arms folded grimly and a long plaid cape streaming out behind him in the breeze. He pointed a gloved hand towards the graveyard.

“Damn her! It’s been nearly eleven hundred years, and it’s like déjà vu all over again,” fumed Discord. “The dead walk, and they’re headed this way.” He turned to Fluttershy, and his frown eased into concern. “Please, let me work on your arrows.”

Fluttershy flipped her pink braid off of her shoulder and looked up at the Spirit of Chaos with admiring teal eyes. “Of course, Discord!”

A golden glow enveloped the Spirit of Chaos’ hands and the quiver full of arrows at Fluttershy’s belt. The hunting and target shooting arrows changed into a motley assortment that appeared to be unable to fly, except for a half-dozen slender missiles that shone with a brilliant white light.

“My dear, stand next to me up here, and shoot only when you’re sure of your target. You will know what each type of arrow does when you touch it. But only use the radiant arrows in an emergency. They are extremely powerful, but I don’t have the credentials or raw strength to make any more of them,” he instructed, patting Fluttershy’s shoulder.

Aria, her eyes glowing violet in the darkness, joined Sunset in positioning the the group in a line atop the redoubt. They looked to the east, the direction that they needed to go to reach the caves, and saw a bright green haze expanding across the cemetery.

Aria asked, “Sunset, do you think we can we make a run for the next redoubt? It’s only about a hundred and fifty yards.”

“Let’s find out!” Sunset conjured a ball of light and tossed it into the air. It illuminated a circle about fifty yards across.

Applejack frowned in disgust and gripped her sickle. “Well, I reckon we have some business before we can try to sprint over to the next high ground.”

A half-dozen figures walked unevenly towards the redoubt. They wore fragments of clothing from over two hundred years ago, and two of the six carried ancient, rusting cavalry swords. As they stepped into the circle of illumination, it was obvious that there was little or no flesh on the bones that shambled towards the living souls atop the fortification.

“Skeletons!” shouted Rainbow Dash, who sprinted down the redoubt, twirling her staff.

Aria chased after the brash athlete, shouting, “Dammit, Rainbow Dash, you can’t take on six of them by yourself!” Applejack and Pinkie Pie followed close behind Aria, who added, “Remember, they’re not alive. Don’t hesitate. They’re walking piles of bones that want to kill you, so take them out before they do the same to you!”

Discord snapped his fingers and a huge anvil winked into existence over one of the skeletons, crushing it into fragments. He winked at Fluttershy and said, “Make that five. Now it’s your turn!”

As Rainbow Dash closed the distance to the group of skeletons, Fluttershy nocked an arrow with a blunt, square tip. Carefully controlling her breathing, she loosed the arrow, which struck a skeleton on its shoulder, knocking its arm off. “I did it!” she cried with excitement.

“Great work, Fluttershy! Direct hit at forty yards!” cried Sunset proudly. She turned to her left. “Rarity, your job is to protect me and Discord from anything that will distract our spellcasting,” ordered Sunset, gripping the fashion designer by a white forearm and pulling her away from Fluttershy’s field of fire.

Rarity smiled warmly at Sunset while she tested the weight of her brass club. “Hmph! That sounds like an easy job, because our amazing friends seem to have this all under control.”

Rainbow Dash had reached the remaining skeletons and was wildly spinning her staff. While she successfully kept them from scoring any hits on her, she was unable to go on offense, until Aria led the supporting charge with Chainbreaker spinning a dangerous circle in her right hand. Pigtails twirling, she deftly parried a clumsy attack from a tall skeleton with a sword, then delivered a punishing counterstroke. As the glowing mace impacted the monster’s skull, the entire skeleton turned to dust in a burst of white light.

“That was so awesome!” yelled Rainbow Dash, as she used her staff to knock down two of the remaining four skeletons, who tried in vain to attack her with their fists.

A powerful slice from Applejack’s sickle bisected a third skeleton, which fell harmlessly to the ground. Awestruck, she glanced at Aria and said, “Chainbreaker’s worth every minute of lost sleep at the forge! Pinkie, finish off that one – it only has one arm thanks to Fluttershy.”

“Okie!” Pinkie’s hatchet chopped through the skeleton’s brittle spine. “Dokie!” Then, she struck off the monster’s other arm. “Lokie!” A final blow to the head caused Pinkie’s opponent to crumple.

Chainbreaker disintegrated the other skeleton carrying a sword and Rainbow Dash dispatched the last creature with repeated strikes from both ends of her staff.

Applejack cleaned her sickle on the grass and chuckled. “That wasn’t such a chore, now was it?”

Aria’s violet eyes narrowed as she lowered Chainbreaker’s head to rest against the turf. “It’s only just beginning, girls.” She smiled at each of them in turn. “But good work, even though someone ran off into battle without thinking!”

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to deliver a sarcastic reply when they heard Sunset’s commanding voice from atop the redoubt.

“Get up here! Now!”

As they reassembled their defensive line atop the earthwork, Sunset produced another three balls of light. The additional illumination revealed about thirty skeletons emerging from the tree line, followed by a dozen slow-moving, fleshy figures that inexorably moved towards the redoubt. As the young women fought down their fear and prepared themselves for the next stage of the battle, the Spirit of Chaos threw his head back and laughed.

“I told you it was going to be a long night!”

*****

The general designs for Bridal Cave were inspired by the caverns on South Bass Island, Ohio. The island is the site of many pleasant memories (and a few hazy ones), and as improbable as it may seem, the crystals inside those caves are actually called “celestite”.

Lake Piebald’s battlefield and the history surrounding it are loosely based upon the national park and battlefield at Yorktown, Virginia.

Author's Note:

The battle is joined, but many questions remain. Since this is my longest chapter to date, I will keep my author comments very short! Thanks for taking the time to read the latest update to Sunset Shimmer: Element Bearer.

If you get a chance, I hope that you find the time to write a comment or simply thank the wonderful individuals that help me bring a new chapter to you every two weeks or so. Their commitment, creative tension and laughter make the rough patches smoother and the good times even more rewarding.

To each and every one of you: I appreciate your steadfast support for this story more than you could ever know. Thank you very much!