• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 688 Views, 3 Comments

Sweet Destruction - Quark_LeStrange



After the royal wedding, things are looking up until one pony's terrible discovery.

  • ...
2
 3
 688

Chapter 1

Mrs. Cake locked the door to Sugarcube Corner and began helping her husband tidy up the store. Pinkie Pie was in the kitchen working on a new cupcake recipe. The twin foals, almost six months old, lay asleep in the corner. Another day at the bakery had gone by without a hitch. Sales had increased quite a bit after the royal wedding several weeks earlier. She and Mr. Cake had been working overtime trying to meet everyone's orders, but tonight they finally had time to relax. If Pinkie would stay calm, anyway. She chuckled; Pinkie Pie often seemed to cause more trouble than their children. She straightened up the bags of flour and went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

"Hey, Mrs. Cake!" chirped Pinkie Pie, furiously whisking a bowl of batter. "Are you closing up the shop?"

"Yes," she replied, searching the cupboards for the kettle.

"Ooh, sprinkles!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Good idea! I think they're in the top right cupboard. No, left. Right or left!"

"I'm looking for the kettle," said Mrs. Cake.

"Oh, that!" Pinkie said, continuing to whisk.

"Do you know where it is?"

Pinkie didn't look up. "Ummm, nope." She whisked harder.

Mrs. Cake stared at the pink earth pony. "Pinkie Pie, you're going to ruin those cupcakes. Where's the kettle?"

"It's definitely not in the oven," Pinkie Pie said.

Mrs. Cake walked to the oven and looked inside. "It isn't in the oven," she said.

"I told you it definitely wasn't in there!" Pinkie Pie rolled her eyes. She was whisking the batter so quickly that it began to slosh out of the bowl.

"Pinkie Pie, I just cleaned this kitchen. Please don't make a mess," Mrs. Cake told her as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Oh, I won't, Mrs. Cake!" Pinkie said, licking up the batter from the countertop.

Mr. Cake sat in the corner, watching the foals sleeping. Mrs. Cake walked up beside him and sat down, resting her head on his shoulder. "I love you," Mr. Cake whispered, bristling her ear.

"I love you too," Mrs. Cake said. Her heart bubbled with affection for the one pony who truly understood her. There was only one very special somepony for her. "Do you know where the kettle is? I want to make some tea."

"I lent it to Twilight Sparkle," Mr. Cake said. "She's doing some kind of experiment that requires a bunch of hot water, and her kettle was broken."

"Well, as long as she takes care of it," said Mrs. Cake. "I wish you'd told me. That kettle is an heirloom."

"I'm sure it will be fine," Mr. Cake assured her. "It's the least we could do after her help in the shop. We've barely met all of our orders lately."

"Everyone has quite a sweet tooth since the royal wedding," Mrs. Cake observed.

"It's probably something in the brain, huh? Big celebrations making people want more sweets."

"All I can say is, I hope it lasts for a while longer. We've almost made enough money to expand the shop." Mrs. Cake stood up and stretched. "Well, I guess I'll be off to bed. I need to get more sleep anyway." She looked through the kitchen door at Pinkie Pie, who was dancing around the batter-splattered room as she placed her cupcakes into the oven. The corners of Mrs. Cake's mouth raised slightly as she shook her head and started off to their bedroom.

"I'll come to bed in a minute," Mr. Cake called after her softly. He picked up the two sleeping foals by their diapers and carried them into their nursery. After nuzzling them fondly for a moment, he shut the door quietly and went back into the shop to grab a snack. He ate two chocolate chip cupcakes and a large slice of banana cake with blueberry frosting, barely chewing as he quickly swallowed the sugary treats. He wiped the frosting from his lips before walking to the bathroom.

Turning on the light and closing the door, he stood still, staring at his reflection in the mirror and waited to make sure that the sugar had kicked in. The image in the mirror flickered for just a moment, changing in a fraction of a second into a dark, grotesque winged form before returning to the form of Mr. Cake, the friendly baker. This form was so uncomfortable; earth ponies were the most limited ponies, and when he took on their shape he was unable to use his wings. It was an easy sacrifice, however, when receiving as much love as Mrs. Cake and the children gave to Mr. Cake. Satisfied that his form was stable, the changeling turned of the light and went to bed.