• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 8,602 Views, 499 Comments

The Ultimate Sacrifice - DarkWolf



Metal 0-1 is warped into Equestria after a strange turn of events in "Down The Rabbit Hole"

  • ...
30
 499
 8,602

Chapter 8: A Step Forward

Chapter 8: A Step Forward

“I guess we should start off with something simple. First off, what are your names?” Princess Celestia asked.

Sandman hesitated for a moment. He had never told anybody his real name. Not even Truck or Grinch knew his real name, and vice versa.

“You can call me Sandman, ma’am. That is Truck and that is Grinch.” Sandman said, pointing to his two squad mates.

The Princess studied him for a little bit, but eventually seemed to be satisfied with his answer.

“Very well, my name is Princess Celestia, Ruler of the land of Equestria. What are you doing here in my country?” she asked.

“We are not sure ma’am. We came here unintentionally. We were hoping you could shed some light on that problem for us.”

“Your kind has been coming here for many years. The first humans came around two thousand years ago, while the last humans before you came around four hundred years ago. I do not know exactly how you got here, but I believe we can figure that out. What were you doing before you came here?”

“We were fighting in a war.”

“Can you go into any detail? That seems rather vague.”

Sandman pondered that question for a while. "How could she not know of the war? Its spread all over the place. You would have to be completely separated from the rest of the world to not know of it, but even then it would still be a shock."Sandman turned his attention back to the Princess. "Oh well, I guess I better answer it anyway.”

“We were trying to stop the destruction of earth as we know it by killing an international terrorist known as Vladimir Makarov.”

The Princess sat for a moment, taking in this new information.

“Tell me about this war. What was it about?”

"Seriously, how could you not know of this?” Sandman thought.

“My country, The United States of America, accidently started a war with another country called Russia. We had done something undercover in their country in an attempt to get close to Vladimir Makarov, but something went wrong and it resulted in my country being blamed for something we didn’t do. Russia invaded us, trying to get payback. They were winning for a while until we were able to liberate our capital. Then, we were able to push them back a good deal, although some places were still occupied. The Russian President wanted to make peace with us after that, but Makarov kidnapped him before he could get to the peace summit we were holding in an effort to keep the war going. After some missions of which I cannot go into detail, we were able to track down the Russian President and his daughter, who Makarov had kidnapped as well. We were rescuing him when we got here. I don’t know anything past that ma’am.”

The Princess did not speak. She only stood in front of them with her head towards the ground. Sandman broke the silence in between them.

“Ma’am, where are we? We need to get back to our country as soon as possible!”

The Princess looked back up to them.

“You are in Equestria.”

“Where is Equestria ma’am? What continent?”

“Equestria is here. It is everything you see in front of you.”

Sandman was beginning to get irritated.

“Where can we go to get back to our country ma’am? What direction?”

“I do not know.”

“How can you not know?! Where are we!?” Sandman blurted out.

The Princess was taken aback by this sudden outburst, and Sandman instantly regretted it. Sandman turned away from her for a minute to regain his composure. Grinch stepped forward to take his place.

“We want to know what continent we are on and how we can get back to the United States ma’am.”

“You are not on a continent, you are in Equestria. As for getting back to the… United, um… what was it called?”

“You can call it the US ma’am.”

“Thank you. As for getting back to the US, I do not know how to get back there for I do not know how to travel cross worlds. You humans have been the only ones who have been able to travel into our world, but there are no records of humans being able to get back to your world, or ponies going into your world.”

All three of them looked at the Princess with complete shock and confusion on their faces.

“What do you mean ‘cross world’ ma’am?” Sandman asked.

“Your world and my world run parallel with one another, but they are split apart by a very thin wall. Sometimes, your kind breaks that wall and travels into our world. Nopony here has ever been able to cross into your world though, or at least nopony has on record. So, I do not know how you can return to your world.”

After a couple of minutes of dead silence, Sandman finally spoke up.

“So, what you are saying is that we are trapped in a different world full of talking horses and there is absolutely no way we can ever get out and get back to our world?”

“For the most part, yes, you are correct. However, we are not horses, we are ponies. Second, I would not dismiss the notion of you ever getting back. I have many records in Canterlot and I am sure one would be able to give us some information on your kind or how you can return home.”

“That would be very gracious of you ma’am.” Sandman responded, trying to sound as reverent as possible.

Truck grabbed Sandman on his shoulder and turned him around to face him.

“Boss, you can’t seriously believe that crap, can you? I mean, think about it, us in another world? That’s got to be a load of shit. There is no way that could be possible.” Truck whispered.

“Yeah, I don’t really believe it either, but there have been a lot of things that have happened lately that I don’t believe. We just really don’t have a choice. Just go along with it for now.” Sandman muttered to Truck as he turned his attention back to the Princess.

“However, I still have some questions to ask you.”

“Yes ma’am?”

The Princess thought for a moment about her next question.

“Why do you humans find pride in killing off your own kind?” She asked with a hint of disgust in her voice.

This question took each of them by complete surprise. It took all of them a couple of minutes before they could come up with an answer. Sandman was the one to respond.

“I don’t take pride in killing others. I kill because I must in order to survive and to keep others safe. If it was to come down to it, I would be more than willing to sacrifice myself in order to protect my men and those who can’t protect themselves.”

The Princess’s attitude did not change, but she seemed to give a slight nod of approval.

“What are those weapons you carry with you?” She asked, pointing a hoof towards Sandman’s M9 in his holster.

“These are the weapons we were using in the war ma’am. They are very common in our world.”

“What exactly do they do? Records tell of weapons the humans had that could launch small pieces of metal at things from a distance, but these were only found among the final humans in Equestria and most of them were either destroyed or lost.”

“Well, you are correct ma’am. That is what these do. When did you say the last humans were here?”

“Around four hundred years ago.”

Sandman began to think back to what type of weapons were around during that time. Flintlock rifles and pistols were the common weapons of choice four hundred years ago, so those were probably what she was talking about.

“I believe those weapons you were talking about were Flintlock weapons, ma’am.”

“Hmm, I am not sure what that means. Please explain.”

“I do not know much about them to be honest, ma’am. I know they used black powder, you reloaded from the barrel, and they required you to reload after each shot. They have been outdated for around two hundred years because they were replaced by percussion cap weapons and many other different types, but eventually we were able to create automatic weapons, like the ones we are carrying now.”

“Your kind seems to know much about weaponry. We do not advance in that field for we normally have no need for weapons.”

“You would be very surprised if you knew of the weapons we have back in our world, ma’am.”

A couple of minutes passed between the two with complete silence. The Princess was the next to speak up.

“Well, if any of you have some questions you would like to ask me, you may do so now.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Sandman responded. “First, could you please go back over exactly where we are and how we got here? I just want to make sure I understand everything.”

“Very well. You are in Equestria. Equestria is another world much similar to yours. Both of our worlds run parallel to one another. Every now and then, you humans find a way to get across from your world to our world. Exactly how, I do not know, nor do I know if it is even possible to return if you cross over, but that is a discussion for another time and the answer will hopefully present itself.”

After a few moments of taking in the story a second time, Sandman responded.

“Thank you, ma’am. Second, what are those tattoos on your side supposed to mean?” Sandman asked as he pointed to the picture of the sun on the Princess’s flank. She turned to look at what he was pointing at.

“Oh, those? Those are Cutie Marks. Everypony gets one when they figure out their special talent.”

Sandman looked at it for a little while with an odd expression on his face.

“So… your talent is… the Sun, ma’am?”

“Yes, it is my duty to raise and set the sun each and every day, while it is my sister who raises and sets the moon each and every night.”

All three humans looked at her with a confused expression on their faces.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but did you just say that YOU raise and set the sun?” Truck asked.

“Yes, I did.”

“It doesn’t just, you know, do it by itself?”

“No. Many things that happen in nature are controlled by us ponies. The Pegasi are in control of the weather and clouds and we have to change the seasons.”

“Okay, that’s it. I’m calling BS on this one.” Truck said in anger. “There is absolutely no way in hell that you can control the sun and nature! The ‘stranded cross worlds’ story was a stretch, but this is pushing it way too goddamn far!”

Sandman turned to Truck and grabbed him by his vest.

“Truck!”

“Shut!”

“The!”

“Hell!”

“Up!”

Sandman turned back towards the Princess, releasing Truck and pushing him back towards Grinch. Her attitude toward the three of them seemed to have diminished slightly.

"Goddammit Truck! We are trying to get some help from these ponies, not piss them off!” Sandman thought angrily.

“Forgive my friend, ma’am. We are under a lot of stress right now and are greatly confused.”

The Princess seemed to accept his apology in a way, for her attitude returned to a more relaxed state.

“I understand, but I am just as confused as you all are. This situation is just as stressful for me as it is for you. Humans are very rare, so I do not know that much of your kind. However, I believe I have come to an reasonable conclusion.”

She turned away from them and called over Applejack from her group of friends. She approached slowly, but the sight of the Princess and all the guards around her were able to make her feel safe.

“Yes, Princess?” Applejack asked.

“I need you to confirm their answers to my next questions. You must tell me if they are lying or not, do you understand?”

“Yes, but… ah don’t know if that’l work or not. Ah can usually feel it if a pony is lyin’, but ah don’t know if Iah can do the same with a human.”

“Well, just try then, Applejack. Listen to your gut.”

“Ok, if you insist Princess.”

Applejack approached the three men with Princess Celestia at her side.

“I am going to ask you some questions, and like I said at the beginning, all I ask of you is for me to tell the truth. If you do that, you have nothing to fear. Do you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Sandman responded.

“Very well. First off, why did you come here?”

“I do not know. We all came here by accident, ma’am. We had no purpose in coming here.”

The Princess turned to Applejack, who was intently staring into the eyes of Sandman. After a few moments, Applejack looked at her and nodded her head in approval.

“Second, do you or did you have any intent on coming here to harm us?”

“No, none at all, ma’am.”

Once again, after a few moments, Applejack nodded her head.

“Lastly, if I was to trust you and allow you some freedom, would you disobey me or go against any of the rules we have set here in Equestria, or attempt to do harm to any of my subjects?”

“No, ma’am.”

After what seemed like ages, Applejack finally turned to the Princess and nodded her head yes.

“Ok then. I guess we should try to find you some shelter for a while until I can find a way to get you home.” The Princess said with a cheery voice.

Sandman breathed a sigh of relief.

“However, you will be under the protection of an armed guard, just to make sure that nothing is to happen to you or to us.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Haybrun! Come here please.” The Princess shouted out.

From behind Celestia, a male pony stepped out. He was wearing gold armor like all the other guards, but he had a couple of stripes of white and blue across his chest plate. The Princess turned her attention back towards Metal.

“This is Haybrun, Captain of the Royal Guard. He will be the one overseeing you over the course of your stay in Equestria, along with some others of course. He will be the pathway between the two of us, and if you have questions, you should ask him. Is that understood?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Good. Now, I must say, I have no idea where to place you.”

“If it is okay with you ma’am, we can set up a camp out in the woods like we have been doing.”

The Princess waved a hoof at them in disagreement.

“No, the Everfree Forest can be very dangerous, and it isn’t very accessible for most.”

After a few minutes of pondering, she finally came up with an idea. She turned to Applejack, who was still standing beside her. Applejack already sensed what she was about to ask.

“Oh no… no way! They can’t stay with me Princess! What if they try to do somethin bad! I mean, I got to take care of the farm and…”

The Princess cut her short.

“I know you don’t want to Applejack, but I see no other options at present, unless I am to take them to Canterlot and keep them in the dungeon.”

Applejack had seen the dungeon before. It was dark, cold, dirty, and overall a living nightmare. Only ponies that had done something absolutely horrible were sent to that dungeon. She wouldn’t wish it on anypony, or the humans for that matter, even if they did deserve it for hurting Rainbow Dash.

“Fine… I can renovate the barn to keep them in.”

“Thank you, it will only be for a few days until I can accomadate them a room in Canterlot. Do not fret, you will have guards stationed there to protect you if something was to happen, but nothing will happen, right?” She said as she turned towards Sandman and the others.

“Yes, ma’am. I promise you won't have any problems from any of us.” Sandman responded.

“And plus, you already said that they were telling the truth about them not hurting anypony, correct?” She asked Applejack.

“Yeah… ah guess.”

The Princess kneeled down to meet Applejacks gaze.

“Don’t worry. It will only be for a short time. I would never put any of you in harm’s way, you know that.”

Applejack merely nodded her head in agreement.

“Very well. Applejack, lead us to Sweet Apple Acres. I will remain with you there until I believe things are in order.”

The group turned and followed suit with the Princess. Applejack and her other friends were in front, the Princess and Haybrun were next followed by five guards. Metal was in the middle followed by another five guards.

“Applejack, are you sure about this?” Twilight asked.

“No… no ahm not. But if the Princess is certain that nothing will happen, ah will trust her on it.”

“I still can’t believe we are actually letting them STAY!” Rainbow Dash blurted out. “Sounds to me that the dungeon would be the perfect place for them!”

“Come on Rainbow, I know you got a grudge against them, for good reason, but they seem to be telling the truth, right Applejack?” Twilight responded.

“I sure hope so…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note*

Haybrun is an OC that was given to me by Codexwriter476. This will not be the last time you see him, and he will pop up every now and then in future chapters. So, many thanks!