• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 4,578 Views, 253 Comments

SIEG EQUESTRIA! - Macross84



Sgt Michael Black has found himself in a land far removed from the hellish fighting of the "One Year War". Yet, even here in the land of Equestria, dark clouds of battle loom over the horizon.

  • ...
13
 253
 4,578

The Battle for the Crystal Empire Pt. 2: What Skulks Beneath

Cantorlot Castle

Ever since the Gala, there had been a tension presiding over the sparkling edifice of Cantorlot Castle. The staff had sensed it, as well as visiting nobles though they kept it to themselves. The only two that didn't appear to be aware of this tension was the Celestial sisters. Though it could simply be that they were ignoring it while focusing on more important matters. The source of this oppressive tension that hung over the castle was a young prince by the name of Blue Blood. He was seen skulking about the castle by the many guards and servants of the estate. Constantly mumbling to himself, or in deep thought. His once flippant, flirtatious attitude towards the mares of the palace, or those of high enough birth to catch his eye, pretty much came to a dead halt after the Gala. Leading many to wonder if some kind of spell or hex had befallen the arrogant prince. In a way, they were right.

Blue Blood paced around in circles within his lavish suite. He had dismissed the maid from cleaning as he was far too agitated to suffer her presence. His mind was racing, and broiling with the events that had happened at the Gala, as well as his very public snubbing from that Ma....Hyumin woman! She didn't even give him a sniff! How dare she! Does she know for whom she was addressing!? just the thought of it would cause Blue Blood to start to grind his perfectly polished teeth. He had never once felt so...so, he didn't even have words for what he was feeling!

"How dare she!" He spat with a indignant huff as he marched around in an oblong circle around the room.

Yet, even in the middle of another tantrum, that small voice of his conscience niggled at the back of his mind. Having been given a wake up call from that encounter. It was as annoying as if he had a cricket on his shoulder, one that he hadn't listened to since he was a foal.

What have you done to truly impress her, or any mare?

"I"m the Prince! What more is there!?" Blue Blood spoke to the empty air.

Just outside the room, a couple of maids stopped in their work, and pressed a ear to the door. They could hear the one-sided conversation, and were quite nervous to what it may lead to.

A "prince". A mere title that was granted to you simply cause your parents bucked! How does that grant you favor? How does that grant you your worth?

Blue Blood growled at the sense that his annoying conscience was making. He moved to his tall mirror, and looked deeply at himself. What looked back was not as regal, or as picture perfect as he had striven to be. His mane was not as silky, nor smooth as it normally was. He had the light bags under his eyes from the multitude of sleepless nights as his restless mind kept him awake. His coat was not as shimmering as it normally was. Blue Blood jammed his eyes shut, and shook his head before opening them and throwing the best pose he could. He summoned up every ounce of nobility and majesty he could to remind himself of how wonderful and dashing he was. Why mares threw themselves at him in droves.

However what he saw, while noble, lacked something that was hard to put his hoof on. Something that he saw in that alien woman. It gave her a poise, and grace that he only seen in those like his Aunties. She was smooth, and knew how to work a room. Her words were cultured, and refined. The minotaur ambassador had been so impressed by her that he even sent Auntie Celestia a letter saying he would love to show the human his home and compare it to her home some more. Yet, her tongue was as sharp as a Guard's spear. How could such things exist within one po-er, person. He remembered seeing her for the first time covered in flour. So when she appeared at the gala dressed so beautifully, he could hardly believe the transformation.

"This is madness! Why does that creature vex me so!?" He shouted to the mirror.

It is because she does not see the crown upon your head. She sees the foalish stallion underneath, and found you wanting. She did not pander to your ego as all the other mares had done. All the Mares sought you only for your crown! Even one of the Elements of Harmony fell for your crown, but not her.

It was that same bothersome voice! Why wouldn't it just let Blue Blood stew in his vexation in peace? Why did it have to speak the truth with words that cut like a knife?

Blue walked out to his balcony, taking in the fresh afternoon air for a moment and plopped down upon an opulent lounge chair. With a sigh he gazed over the city, and the large valley below. His eyes spotted various ponies below, scurrying about with a purpose, and a sense of self worth that had been denied him due to his pampered upbringing. He glared down at the common ponies with... Jealousy? No, that can't be right! He was a prince. Some pony every stallion wished they could be, and every mare wishes they could be with! Yet, the image of that woman looking down her nose at him was burned into his memories. Stripping away at that visage of arrogance that he had surrounded himself with for so very long.

You have a choice, Prince. You could remain as you are, and stagnate in your own pampered self absorption. Being ridiculed behind your back, and pitied by your aunt. Knowing that those around you only care for your crown. Or, you can get up, and show them all that you're more than just a crown that somepony else hung upon your head.

"How?" Blue mumbled as if there was another pony there speaking to him, not thinking much on how he was having a full conversation with himself.

That is for you to find out. The answers can not always be given to you. You must go out, and seek them yourself.

Blue Let out a huff, "Stupid conscience."

I heard that!

Blue let his mind relax as he thought about how he was going to show everyone who he truly was. How he was going to show Her she was wrong about him! It was harder than he imagined as he simply let the soft rays of his Aunt's sun warm his white coat.

He would lay there before a spark of an Idea started to smolder into his head. Slowly, his eyes widened as that small spark became an ember. He rose to his feet feeling a resolve that was quickly starting to embolden him to the idea that was tickling at his mind.

"Do you think he is alright? It got awfully quiet in there." One maid whispered as she had her ear pressed to the door.

"I don't know. I'm thinking we may need to get a Guard Captain here." Said the guard that came across the two maids listening in, and couldn't help himself.

"Shush! I hear something!" The other maid spoke as she pressed her ear harder against the door.

The other two followed suit as they strained their ears to listen.

"It sounds like...." the guard started to say.

"hooves! Running hooves! Scatter!" The maid called out as the three duck out of the way just before the doors swung inward with magic, and Blue Blood tore out of the room like his tail was on fire, and his ass was catching.

The three ponies all looked to Blue and each other with curiosity as they wondered what was the matter with him, but knew better than to get involved with things that were above them.
Blue Blood raced through the palace like a stallion possessed. He had to speak with his aunts, and now. Given the time though, Auntie Cele should be finishing up with day court. So Blue hoped that he could get a moment to speak with her before she retired to her inner sugary sanctum of cakes. So he came skidding around the final corner, and felt renewed energy when the grand doors to the throne room could be seen. Blue Blood poured on the steam. The guards at the door looked up in surprise as they saw the prince barreling towards them.

"Your highness whatever is the matter!?" One guard called out.

"Open the door, open the door!" Blue replied.

The two Unicorns quickly scrambled to pull the doors open with their magic. The two large doors slowly creaked open as the unicorns strained to get the doors open. However, as Blue closed in, he could see that they were not going get it open in time. He hit the brakes as hard as he could, but his hooves started to slide against the polished stone floors. His momentum carrying him now.

Celestia was sitting upon her throne listening to her Advisor, Stuffed Shirt, drone on, and on about how many of the nobles were offended that she could not make time for them today. It seemed like these ponies never let up, and she started to wonder how nice it would be to find a deserted island somewhere, and forget the world existed.

"And that is why I....." Stuffed shirt started to say when.

WHAM!

Something smacked against the large doors, and hard, causing both Stuffed Shirt, and Princess Celestia to look up, and wince as they saw the doors were slowly opening.

"My word, how rude." Stuffed Shirt grumbled as he took a couple of steps back when he noticed that Celestia was raising to her hooves to investigate the noise.

As she approached, she saw Blue Blood staggering around the edge of the door, a nice lump near his horn started to form.

"Blue Blood, what is the matter?" Celestia asked as she touched her horn to his lump to make it, and the pain dissipate.

"Auntie, since when is there two of you?" Blue asked as he was looking in distinctly different directions.

Blue shook his head, and regained his footing before looking at his Aunt.

"Auntie, I've made a decision!" Blue Blood announced theatrically. Thrusting a perfectly manicured hoof in the air.

Celestia was rather taken back by this. It was not unusual for Blue Blood to be overly dramatic, but that was normally if he was offended by some slight that he felt directed towards him. A Pony not bowing before him low enough, or his daisy sandwich not prepared just so with the crust cut off, and the sandwich cut in half. To which he would try to get Celestia to "Do" something about it. However, this was different, and that was enough to cause Celestia to worry.

"Oh? What kind of decision is that, Bluey?" Celestia asked him. Using the nickname he used to love as a foal. But since he grew up, he outgrown foalish pet names, or so he states.

"Please Auntie. I'm no longer a foal so please don't call me that. I decided to prove to that hoomyn that I'm no push over stallion! I'll show her! Her, and Auntie Lulu that I am quite capable!" Blue declared, thrusting that hoof out once more for good measure. It would appear that he practiced this pose for quite some time.

Celestia had to stifle a chuckle at the display. Blue was certainly fired up, and Celestia wasn't surprised it was because of a female. However, the surprise came from the fact that it was from that Human female, Hardeen. She did make quite impression at that Gala, and it would appear that she made quite the impression upon her nephew as well.

"How are you going to go about this?" Celestia asked, curious to see how far her nephew would take this.

"I...I don't know, but I will! I swear it upon my crown." Blue Blood stated with surprising conviction.

This should worry Celestia. Blue Blood doesn't normally get this fired up about anything. Normally, he would have tried to convince her that something needed to be done, but to actually do something on his own!? This was serious.

With that declaration, he turned on his hooves, and started to march out of the throne room.

"Blue Blood, Where are you going?" Celestia asked as she trotted to catch up with him.

"I'm going to Ponyville! That is where the Hoomyn Hardeen is at!" Blue Blood declared.

"The humans are not in Ponyville. They're in the Crystal empire helping your cousin along with your Aunt Luna, and the Elements." Celestia stated.

"WHAT!? When was this decided!?" Blue shouted in surprise. Course, it should not have been a surprise as he hardly took any real interest in such things before.

"yes, Sargents Black, Hardeen, and Vaulu have traveled with the Elements to investigate a rash of mysterious creature sightings that resulted in the lost of several squads of Cadences's guards. Luna insisted she went to observe, but I think she went in hopes of seeing a fight. She was always a fan of the Gladiatorial games in the past." Celestia let out with a sigh.

"Very well then. I will use this time to prepare then." Blue Blood stated as he smoothed out his mane with his hoof before giving his aunt a bow. "I'll excuse myself, Auntie" he stated before departing the Throne Room, leaving a understandably worried Celestia behind. "Just you wait Lilith Hardeen. I'll show you just what kind of Stallion I am." He stated as he could imagine that underneath that harsh thorny exterior was a delicate flower that only yearned to be protected and loved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crystal Empire

"Hurry it the fuck up, Aleki! My cannons can't blow shit up if we're not in the proper place!" Lilith called down to her driver as the heavy Guntank roared down the main thoroughfare of the city. Its meter wide tracks clawing through the cobble stone streets as it raced to get to a spot that they could set up for fire support.

The call came in a few minutes ago through Twilight's crystal, and caught everyone by surprise. They had not considered meeting the creature soon after their arrival in the Empire. by Twilight's calculations of probability, she figured it would be at least a week before they would encounter the creature.

"We have to move quickly girls! Start to gather the towns ponies, and have them evacuate to beneath the Crystal palace. We don't know how strong this creature is, or how this fight will go. However, we must insure the safety of the townsponies." Twilight stated.

The rest of the Mane Six quickly split up and started to run to all points of the compass. Each one calling out for the Crystal Ponies to hurry to the palace. Telling them that they would be safe there.

Luna, and Cadence watched this play out. Both were just as surprised as the rest that an encounter occurred so quickly. Shining was already giving orders to his Guards to prepare blankets, and to set up stations to check Ponies, and ensure that families are kept together. Cadence had no doubts that her ponies would do what was needed in this time of crisis, even with a great danger literally at their door step.

Shining, Cadence, and Luna looked up as they heard the fluttering of wings above them, and saw Flash Sentry coming for a landing before the three. He bowed before the three rulers.

"Give your report, Lieutenant." Shining ordered.

"Sir. Sgt Black has just encountered the creature in the waste, and has ordered that I return to inform you should the Communication crystal provided by Princess Twilight Sparkle fail to transmit the message." Flash Sentry reported professionally.

"We already received the message via the crystal, but that was good thinking on Black's part to send you as well to make sure. Well done, Lieutenant." Shining stated with an approving nod.

"Shall I return to render assistance to Sargent Black?" Flash asked, his wings already spreading to pull him up into the air should the order come down.

"I don't believe that would be necessary, Lieutenant. I believe Black may have had an additional reason for sending you back aside from simply ensuring a message was being relayed." Luna spoke.

Shining, Cadence, and Flash Sentry looked at the Princess of the Night, silently encouraging her to explain.

"According to Twilight's reports, if this fight plays out like the previous, Flash Sentry would only be getting in the way as two titans clash. Black most likely sent him away so he would not have to worry about him getting under hoof." Luna explained as she watched the proverbial light bulb flick on in the three ponies head. She had to stifle a chuckle at the scene

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rocket flew from the muzzle of the bazooka, and sailed through the whirling winds right at the Golem. Trailing fire, and smoke behind on its kamikaze trajectory towards the creature. Michael watched intently as he prayed the rocket would connect, and at the very least incapacitate the monster. The possibility of there being a pony inside at the fore of his thoughts, however that thought was also tempered with the experience of how tough the previous creature was. He hoped that the rocket would do enough damage to it so that Michael can get close, and see if he could free the pony. Causing the creature to crumble back into a pile of rocks. That was the fastest way, so he thought, to end the fight.

The rocket slammed hard near the creatures right shoulder, the shaped charge that was meant to punch through armor burned, and directed its explosive force directly into the creature's chest. Fire, and smoke washed over the creature as it was sent hurtling back into the snow. Large chunks of rock, and crystal showering the snow covered ground as it let out a pain filled screech that cut right through the Zaku's armor, and into Michael's cockpit.

"Yes! That knocked you on your ass, didn't it!?" Michael barked in triumph as he saw the smoldering remains of Golem laying in the snow.

However, Michael's victory would come at a price as a loud alarm blared in his cockpit. Looking down at a smaller screen on his control HUD, Michael saw a message flash across the smaller auxiliary monitor.

CRITICAL FAILURE AUX. WEAPON, CRITICAL FAILURE! EJECT IMMEDIATELY

Then screen then showed a diagram where the failure was located. It was in the firing circuit that Michael had such difficulty repairing earlier. The screen would then flash over, and repeat the previous message to eject the Bazooka.

"Shit!" Michael hissed as he pulled on the control sticks.

The Zaku instantly reacted as the right arm snapped outward, the head, and chest ducking as the back end of the bazooka swung over, and around. The hand released the grip, ripping the I/O jack from the slot in a shower of electrical arcs. The Bazooka went sailing through the air before landing with a heavy thump in the snowy bank.

Micheal didn't let up the assault for a moment as he threw the Zaku into a run, charging at the downed Golem. The creature writhed, and tried to pull itself together before the tremendous weight of the Mobile suit pinned it to the ground. Michael looked through out the large torso for any signs of a pony being trapped inside. Going so far as to even switch the main camera over to infrared to see any heat signatures. However he would find none. This was strange. Michael was sure there was a pony being held within this creature. This just made the fight both easier, and much harder at the same time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shard staggered back as he felt a sharp burning pain in his horn. For a moment, he magic was interrupted as he tried to stop the pain in his head. A dark growl slipped from his lips as he opened his eyes, and glared at the green giant that did...something to his creature. Whatever it was, it hurt, and bad.

"Blast that foul creature" Shard hissed as the pain started to ebb from his horn finally.

Shard focused back on his creature, and saw that the giant had pinned it to the ground. At first he was curious as to what the giant was doing. However, watching the large red eye swipe left to right as the head moved up, and down. Shard remembered the article about how the Giant saved his previous test subject.

"So~, that is what you're after eh? Sorry to disappoint you, you won't find anypony in there. She has another task." Shard chuckled darkly as he imbued his horn once more with magic. "Lets just see how well you fair against this." Shard mused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIchael reached up, and tapped the crystal to call in what he discovered. His Zaku was still holding down the flailing creature as he pondered how to kill it now.

"This is Black, Have subdued the Creature. However, there is no sign of a pony hostage. We may have to rethink this one." He called over the crystal line.

"Damn you Black! Why did you have to go, and win already! Aleki, and I just set up." Came the disgruntled voice of Lilith from the crystal. It sounded quite tinny as it only came from the crystal.

"Sorry, Lily. Just too slow I suspect. I'll bust it up some more and hopefully it will stay down." Michael called out. Though that moments distraction would cost him.

Something slammed hard into the side of the Zaku sending it sailing through the air, and into a snow drift. Burying its upper half as its two legs stuck out rather comically. The Creature used this time to gather itself back together, and gets it feet underneath it so it could fight once more. However, unlike the previous Golem, this ones movements were more clumsy. From his vantage point, Shard grinned manically as he watched his creation return to life.

Inside his cockpit, the Michael groaned as he came back around. "The fuck was that!?" He coughed as he looked around.

His screens were dark, but at least there was no warning alarms going off. Though going by feel, he could tell the Zaku was on its back. Just above his head, he could hear the crystal clack against the roof of the cockpit.

"Hey Lilith? I think I'm going to need your help after all." Michael groaned.

"The hell did you fuck up now?" Lilith replied. However, there was a notable twinge of concern in her voice that was not lost on Michael.

"I need some time to get my Suit back on its feet. Do you think you can stall the creature?" Michael asked as he was trying to get the room to stop spinning.

"Sure, you're at A4-A4, right?" Lilith asked.

Considering the relative crudeness of the maps, Lilith was banking on Michael picking up on the new grid system she started to use right at that minute. Basically each grid square would be then cut into a smaller Grid system equally divided, and numbered.

"Affirmative" Michael groaned as he really wished he did not eat so much at the table.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilith was quickly working her controls, twisting the Guntank's body to get it lined up for the shot. The stabilizing arms folded down against the road surface once more as the Guntank's backpack folded down. However this time, two mechanical arms were unfolding themselves, and sliding the shells into the breeches of the two 120mm cannons on the Guntank's shoulders before the backpack closed up, and the Guntank was ready to fire.

Lilith looked at her map, and was running the mental calculations from her Gunnery school through her head. Thank god her instructor was a stickler for Math, and "unaided" proficiency. Stating how there may come a time when you didn't have all sorts of digital maps, GPS, or fancy computers to help you. Lilith didn't think much of it at the time, but she made sure to remember the formulas, and carried a small solar powered calculator with her at all times, that she kept hidden from Twilight Sparkle after seeing what how that mare reacted to something so simple as a Pen.

With last minute adjustments and liberal amounts of "Educated guesses", Lilith felt pretty confident that she had a good firing solution. At least her shots would be in the vicinity of the two. Lilith just wished she had a forward observer to correct her shots. But, for now she would just hope that it would be enough to give Michael breathing room.

"You better watch your head, Zeke!" Lilith barked as she pulled the triggers on her control yoke.

a Instant later, the twin cannons of the guntank let out a earth shattering boom that rippled through the populace of the Crystal Empire as they huddle underneath the powerful shield of Shining Armor. The Royal Guard forming a cordon around the shield just in case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shard smiled as he brought his Golem around towards the half buried Giant. He wanted to savor this victory over the opponent that destroyed his first creation, and freed his first subject. The Golem lumbered towards the fallen mobile suit with a rather ungainly gait due to the fact that it was being controlled remotely instead of being given its own autonomy. He felt this fight won as he raised his hoof in mirror to the golem raising its oversized appendage. Oh this was going to feel so good, he thought as he could imagine the Giant screaming in agony while Shard knew that it was He that defeated the giant. The Ponies, and the Princesses should tremble before his might. Though as he started to thrust down his hoof, a shrill whistling could be heard, and steadily getting louder by the second.

"What in the world is that?" Shard paused, and looked around.

He would never see the hit coming as the twin shells landed just shy of his perch. The detonation of the rounds muffled by the deep snow was stills strong enough for it to collapse the rise that Shard had been using to guide his creation. He tumbled down into the snow, and would come to a stop with his head, and shoulders buried. The Golem slowed, and seemed to freeze in place, its club like arm frozen in mid swing. Giving the Zaku time to pull itself from the snow.

The mobile suit's camera was cleared by a wiper that did a quick swipe over the ballistic glass that shielded the Camera, and the delicate electronics in the Zaku's head. The image that appeared upon his monitor when they came back to life gave Michael's heart a start as he saw his screen was almost filled with the rocky appendage of the Golem's arm. Yet, why did it stop? Michael would not wait to question his good fortune as he brought the Zaku's foot up, and kicked out. Connecting with The Golem's forward knee, and toppling it back onto the ground. Opening space between the two towering titans.

Dr. Shard managed to pull his head from the snow just in time to hear an sickening crunching noise. Turning his head, he saw as his construct fall backwards as the green giant slowly rose to its feet. Shard snarled in anger. He didn't know what happened as he didn't expect the Humans he sent after the Giant would actually join him. He started to channel his magic back into his horn. It would be a great effort as it took quite a bit to control the golem. He commanded the golem to rise, and fight once again.

The Zaku would reach its feet just about the same time the golem did. The Zaku's blazing red monoeye swinging over to focus on the Golem. The Golem turned its diminutive head to focus on the mobile suit. the two giants squared off as Michael had the Zaku pull out its heat hawk ax. The hybrid ceramic blade quickly glowing brightly in the waning light of the afternoon. Snowflakes flash evaporated as they fluttered close to the super heated ax, some of the moisture around the hawk causing it to steam menacingly.

Michael threw the Zaku into a head long charge at the Golem, the ax coming back for a horizontal swipe across the abdomen. The Golem brought up its rocky appendages to shield from what it saw coming. Michael, reacting quickly, twisted the Zaku's arm, and moved the shoulder to twist the ax from a horizontal slash, and up for a powerful chop to the creature's head. The ax head came down with devastating force between the creature's bulbous forelimbs. The super heated cutting edge connected dead center, and split the head in two. The force causing the creature's knees to buckle, and stumble back. Michael decided to give it a hand, and twisted the Zaku's hips to bring up the left leg to deliver a powerful kick to the lower abdomen. Sending the creature toppling back into the snow once more with the loud sound of the impact being like a miniature sonic boom. The Zaku standing triumphantly over it.

Shard growled, and gnashed his teeth in frustration. He saw that attack coming, and willed the construct to deflect the attack, but he couldn't move it fast enough. This was the difference between controlling a golem remotely, and giving it its own limited autonomy. The controlled construct was sluggish. Shard concentrated on getting his creation to its feet so it could turn its creator's anger towards the green Giant. Even without a head, the Golem was still very dangerous as it was Shard, and his magic guiding the construct.

The creature swung its large forelimb with all its might to fight off the advancing mobile suit, but it was a few meters too far away to connect with the Zaku, or Michael would have thought. The forelimb suddenly disconnected from the shoulder, and was sent sailing towards the Zaku. Slamming square in the Mobile Suit's chest, threatening to crumple the cockpit, and crush its occupant. The Zaku staggering back several paces, trying to steady itself as its auto balancers kicking into full power. Sparks showered inside the cockpit as Michael was bucked around in his control seat. The ballistic nylon harness creaking, trying to keep his body to secured to the seat. The screens flickered from the blow, but thankfully held.

"Damn!" Michael growled ferally as he glared at the creature before him.

Once more, the Zaku charged the creature. If Shard thought he could defeat this Zeon Titan so easily, he was sorely mistaken. He tried to keep the Golem from moving, but with the absence of the thrown appendage. The Construct had become quite unbalanced, and difficult to keep stable. Requiring even more magic to compensate for the loss. He made the construct use its other arm to act as a shield against the flurry of ax swings that crashed against the hardened crystal that Equestrian weapon would be hard pressed to break. Yet, The Heat Hawk was chipping away at it. Slowly, but strike after strike, damage could be seen accumulating on the appendage.

Michael continued on his assault. The heat hawk almost sang as it cleaved through the frigid air with soft "fwips" right before striking against the crystal coated appendage that shielded the rest of the creature from the powerful blows from Michael, and his Zaku. The creature staggering backwards even as Shard growled, and struggled to turn the tide of the fight. Yet he was weakening. It was taking a lot of Magic to keep the Golem fighting, and he was dangerously close to magical exhaustion.

The Fight would be ended by the very next blow, Michael took several steps before throwing his Mobile Suit into a leaping kick. The backpack thrusters activating allowing the Zaku to perform the infamous "Zaku Kick". The Zaku sailed through the air, and the large foot slammed into the Golem's chest. Sending it flying as its components started to break apart, and disintegrate back into nothing more than a collection of rocks. The Crystal falling away to powder, and blowing away in the wind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shard was knocked back to the ground as the Zaku's final attack connected, destroying his creation. His magic nearly depleted, Shard couldn't hold his creature together anymore. His entire body ached as if he just ran several marathons in a row. He would gulp the frosty air greedily as he looked through blurry eyes at the towering Titan that stood over the remains of his creation as if to mock him. It angered him, but he lacked the energy to even raise his hoof in anger.

If would appear that you have been defeated, Shard.

That was the last thing he wanted to hear. Shard wanted to voice his frustration, and anger, but before he could, he felt powerful paws coming to pick him up out of the snow. A couple of his Diamond Dog minions stood there. One quickly leaning in, and whispering into the Doctor's ear. What he heard had the scowl that was etched upon Shard's muzzle twist into sinister smirk.

"It doesn't matter. The creature fulfilled its purpose, and my plans have not been affected." He said triumphantly as he stood there looking down his nose at the Zaku in arrogance. "So what if I have lost a mere construct. With what I'm about to possess, I can produce thousands more." He declared before he let out a deep laugh.

You finally understand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardeen drummed her fingers upon her armrest in annoyance. The cause of her annoyance was the silence. Yes, there was sound. The dull thrum of the Guntank's reactor just below her. The soft whirring of servos as the tank worked to remain stable. But the real source of the irksome silence was from Twilight's infernal crystal. For the last 20 minutes since they first fired, Hardeen was waiting for Michael to call in another fire request. The Guntank's cannons were loaded, and Hardeen's trigger fingers were very itchy. She wanted to hear her babies sing their song of destruction.

"Damn it! What the hell is going on out there?" She snapped.

Just below her, Aleki was keeping his eyes on the gauges, and the suit's Level gauge. Ensuring that the platform was level, and stable. Upon hearing the grousing from up top, He let out a sigh as he knew that Lilith was worried about the Zeke pilot. Sure, they tried to kill him when they first arrived, but since then. Michael has proven to not be like the despicable Zeons that Lilith, and him have encountered in the past. If anything, Michael was kinda lazy and just wanted to have fun.

"I'm sure he is doing fine, Lily. If he is in trouble, he'll call." Aleki stated as he took a moment to glance up at the picture of his wife, and newborn baby girl back home.

He let out a soft sigh as he wondered if they were worried about him. Did they know he was missing, or do they just believe him dead? His large hand reached out to touch the picture, and wish that he was home, holding his daughter.

"If we make it home, I'm putting in my resignation immediately." He mused with a sad sigh.

While these two were focused out beyond the magical shield, they were blind to the real danger below.

Within the shield that protected the town's ponies just beneath the Crystal palace, a couple of fillies were passing the time chasing each other. Sure, the big thing making the REALLY loud noise was amazing, but it hadn't done anything since then, and it was starting to get really boring being stuck inside the Shield. Their giggles spilled over like a cup full of joy as they dashed around the parameter of the shield, and the Palace's legs. Not paying any heed to their mother's warnings. Though they would both come to a skidding halt when something strange was witnessed out of the corner of their eye.

About 50 meters from the edge of the shield, the street bowed upwards before sinking back down. The mortar splitting, and cracking as something was pushing up against it. Loud pops caught the attention of the nearest guards, and a couple of the ponies near that end of the shield. They started to congregate at the edge of the small dome to get a better look at what was going on.

The street rose up once more, higher this time as a loud crack rang out. The Guards lowered their lances, and steeled their wills, preparing for whatever may come.

Suddenly a sickly yellow crystal spire shot out of the road surface. Chunks of mortar, and cobblestones being sent in every which direction. It would immediately be followed by another spire, opening the hole wider than before. From it, the broad torso of an simian like rock monster started to emerge from the ground. The Guards watched wide eyed as it rose up before them. Grinding two large crystal plates, an ear splitting screech ripped through the air. It would quickly be followed up by the screams of the young fillies, and several ponies.

In the Gunner's compartment of the Guntank, Lilith had the side windows open to let a cross breeze through. The air was clean, and refreshing. However, her peace was destroyed by the screech that she, and Aleki could both feel down into their fillings. Lilith cringed when she heard it. Once it died away, she turned in her seat, and watched in shock as an enormous rock monster started to pull itself up out of the ground at the other end of the street!

"Shit! Aleki, get us moving. We have to stop that thing." Lilith called down.

Aleki was already ahead of her as he was pulling up the stabilizing ramps, and bringing up the reactor to full power.

"What about the Zeke!?" He called back.

"I'll get him on the horn, and see where he is at." Lilith replied as she started to lower the 120mm cannons to fire.

The Guntank's treads pulled in opposite directions, spinning the chassis around to turn the tank in the direction of the Rock creature as Lilith brought the torso around to bare on the enemy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael was surveying the remains of the fallen construct, seeing if he could find any clues to its origins, or how it came into being. He knew Twilight would want to interrogate him about the battle, and would find the news about a Ponyless creature both important, and disappointed as it shot a hole in her current theory about these creatures.

"Black! Answer, dammit!" the voice of Lilith shouted over the crystal, causing Michael to jump in his seat.

"This is Black, Creature neutralized. Looking over the remains for any clues to give to Princess Sparkle." He replied in a professional tone, purposely ignoring the overly childish sounding name of "Princess Sparkle". What next, "Princess Butterfly"?

"Forget about that! Another creature just showed up in town. Came right up out of the ground like a motherfucking daisy!" Lilith called back.

Michael's breath caught in his throat when he heard that. "I'm on my way! Just hang in there." He replied as he twisted the controls to turn the Zaku towards the Crystal Empire, and threw it into a run.

The Zaku would only get about six or so paces before it came skidding to a halt. The torso, and then the head twisting, turning to the left. The glowing eye swiveling in the head to scan behind the towering titan. Soldiers who survived long enough on the battlefield learn to trust their instincts, and right now Michael's instincts were telling him that he was being watched.

The snowy scene shifted upon his monitor as he concentrated upon the image. To pick out anything that looked out of place. He even flicked over to infrared. However, nothing turned up at his first glance. Had he the time, he would have searched the area a bit more thoroughly, but with the threat of another creature in the city he had not a moment to lose. He threw the Zaku into a run once more. Stomping though the snow as he raced towards the city.

From his perch, Shard smirked "Fight. Fight till your body breaks, and your soul withers. You're fighting against destiny, my destiny. I have won, and there is nothing you can do about it." He declared before he let out with a tyrannical laugh.

Author's Note:

WOW! :pinkiegasp: This story has been going for a year, and one day! That is amazing!

Thank you all that have stuck with me this far, and I truly hope you enjoyed the story, and will continue to enjoy it as it progresses.

See you in the next chapter: The Battle for the Crystal Empire Pt. 3; Throw down!