• Published 5th Oct 2014
  • 565 Views, 3 Comments

Burn The Ashes - Speedy McSpeed



A young mare, cursed at birth, deals with the hardships that come into her life.

  • ...
0
 3
 565

Prologue

Fire. Heat. Destruction. Burning. These words pretty sum up my life. No, I’m not a phoenix like may would think. I am, in fact, a pony. No, that’s not right. I’m not a pony. I’m a monster. A monster that cannot be stopped. A monster that ruins everything it touches.

I’m alone. Alone all of the time. No pony even dares to come near me. Actually, that’s not true. I tend to stay away from every pony else. Life’s just easier that way. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had loved ones before, but they’re gone now. They’ve been gone for such a long time, I don’t really remember them.

How did this even happen? Why did this even come to be? I ask myself these things everyday and I’m no close to finding the answers. The only clue I really have is the one memory I have of my family. The day I became a monster.


I don’t remember much of my childhood, but what I could recall included that day. It remember it being in the middle of winter, but it was still a particularly cold day. I was inside near the fireplace, drinking a cup of hot chocolate. It was freshly made, so it immediately scalded my tongue. My mother, who was nearby, laughed when I spit out the drink. My mom was the type of mom that every other mom should be. She was caring, kind, and always making sure I was all right. Then there was my father. He was a large stallion with a big ego and bigger temper. I don’t know what my mother saw in him, but he was still my dad. At the time, he wasn’t with us, but instead on a business trip in some far away place. It was okay. I didn’t miss him that much.

I remember my mother got off the couch she was laying on and sat next to me on the floor. She embraced my, wrapping her forelegs around my body. I gladly accepted the hug and cuddled back. We lied like this in front of the fire for w while, until we heard a strange noise coming from upstairs. Immediately, my mom had a worried look on her face and told me to wait downstairs. She got up and trotted over to the stairs, looking up them for a possible intruder. What she didn’t expect, was a massive fireball hurtling towards her.

My mother was fortunate enough to have enough time to jump out of the way. The massive ball of flames missed her and exploded into the front door. I remember beginning to cry as I saw the whole scene unfold. Then, from the top of the sitars, came a shadow figure slowly coming down. We were paralyzed by fear as it finally reached the bottom step. It looked at us with blazing red and orange eyes. Whatever it was, it wasn’t a pony. It didn’t really have a body. The creature looked like a floating space of darkness with two small gates of hell for eyes.

“Please!” my mom called out to it. “Don't hurt us!”

I remember the figure not even acknowledging her as it began to float towards me. My mother screamed, but did nothing as the dark creature loomed over me. Eventually, it stopped, but only when it was directly above me. I was so afraid, I couldn’t move. I just trembled as the horrible thing gazed down upon me. After a while of nothing happening, it began to move once again. Only this time, it didn’t move in any given direction. Instead, it looked like the creature began squirming, it’s body twisting into a variety of weird shapes. Then, it began to bloat. The ball of darkness became larger and larger until I was sure it was going to burst. That is when it did. The creature imploded and a massive burst of fire exploded into the room. I remember flames covering up everything I could see, including my mother. The next thing I knew, I couldn’t see anything.

I woke up a few days later, not knowing what had happened. Immediately, I assumed the whole occurrence had just been a wild dream. That is, until I took a look around. I wasn’t in my bedroom, but in a small white hospital room instead. I was hooked up to heart monitor, where I saw my heart was beating normally. I was even more confused than before, until two ponies walked in through the door way. One was my father and the other was a doctor. They were chatting, but immediately stopped when they saw I was awake. My father, who I expected to embrace me, instead ran to my bedside and roughly shoved me against the bed. He was screaming at me, but he was so mad I had trouble understanding what she was saying. The doctor quickly stepped in and restrained my father. He too was yelling words that I could understand.

Eventually, they both calmed down and I could hear a bit of what they were saying. However, my ears were ringing for some reason and I could only make out a few words. Fire. Mother. Dead. Lucky. Alive. I assumed that meant a house fire had befallen my home and that my mother died, but I was luck to be alive. The wild images I had of the monster exploding into flames must have been a dream as a result of the fire. I was shocked to say the least, but was even more shocked to see my father run out of the room, being chased by the doctor.

He never came back, my father. I was told that he blamed me for the fire and the death of my mom, so wanted nothing to do with me. For the first time in my life, but certainly not the last, I was alone. The rest of that day included doctors taking test on me and news reporters asking me what had happened. Honestly, I didn’t know. The only thing I could recall was that strange dream and that certainly didn’t help. Eventually, night came and it was time for me to sleep. The whole day, ponies were coming in and out of my hospital room, so I was never given any time to cry. Now, I was finally alone and had some time to myself, so I cried. And cried. And cried. I wept until couldn’t weep anymore.

Once I had stopped crying, I opened my eyes and laid on my back. I began to stare at the ceiling, but that only lasted for a couple of seconds. Immediately, I saw that the ceiling was on fire. Frantically, I looked around and saw that the rest of the room was on fire. Then I noticed that I was on fire too. I tried to scream but nothing happened. It was if my body was stuck in place. The fire didn’t burn me, for some reason. Nothing happened to me, but wish I could say the same for the hospital. After my room burned down, I could see into the other parts of the building. Flames were scattered about and ponies were rushing to get away. I could only watch as the hospital turned to ashes, taking a few unlucky patients with it. This lasted for hours, until the fire spread far enough from me and my room that the flames on my body went out.

Immediately, I tried to move again and this time it worked. Fearing that the protection I had from the fire was gone, I followed the other ponies that had left and ran out the building. However, those ran ponies ran in the direction of a nearby city. I, on the other hand, ran directly into a nearby forrest. That is where I belonged after all. I was a monster and monsters lived in the forrest. Even being as young as I was, I knew that I had caused the fire. Actually, both of them. It was all my fault. Ponies had lost their lives all because of me. These thoughts flew through my head as I ran deeper and deeper into the dark forrest.

Author's Note:

Hello, everybody! Thanks for reading my first ever story! I've had this idea for a while and just wanted to let it out. I know this chapter was a little short, but it was just the prologue. Future chapters will be longer and will include dialogue. Thanks again!