• Published 22nd Apr 2012
  • 25,533 Views, 1,174 Comments

Transcend - Anonymous Pegasus



Alone and powerless, Chrysalis must turn to a last resort to regain her power.

  • ...
37
 1,174
 25,533

Past And Future

Chrysalis sobbed as she bolted towards the nearest group of stunned bystanders.

“You have to help!” Chrysalis screamed, seemingly in hysterics. “He tripped and fell and it shattered and he’s not moving!”

The stunned assortment of earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi all stared at her. Chrysalis whimpered faintly, pointing with a hoof towards the shattered door. “He’s not moving!”

There was a shuffle of movement, as a stallion began to bound towards the shattered door

Chrysalis waited until the stallion grew close to stepping into the store itself before she called out. “W-wait! Don’t go in!”

The stallion paused a moment, staring back at her for a long moment.

“H-he shattered a bottle of Niteshade!” Chrysalis whimpered, shaking her head rapidly. “D-don’t go in or you’ll get poisoned as well!”

A murmur of concern rippled throughout the crowd of ponies. One of the pegasi peeled off from the group and streaked into the sky, heading for Canterlot.

Chrysalis collapsed in the street, curling into a ball and rocking back and forth, letting the tears stream down her cheeks.

“You have to save him! You have to!” Chrysalis wailed as the ponies milled around the entrance of the shop helplessly.

It was several long, tense minutes before Princess Celestia herself arrived, dropping out of the sky like a stone. Her horn glowed brightly, and a pink bubble appeared around her form before she bolted through the front door of the store. She didn’t bother opening it, just crushing the entire thing off its hinges in her haste, pushing through to the store room. There was silence outside the building, as the crowd waited expectantly, watching with bated breath.

The Celestia that emerged was much more subdued than the one that had entered. A large shape covered in a white sheet levitated in front of her, encased also in a pink bubble to keep any lingering spores from being spread throughout the crowd.

The bundle was placed on the ground and Celestia turned. She placed her glowing horn against the front of the building, causing a large pink bubble to erect around it, shielding it from the ponies.

“No one is to enter this store!” Celestia called, as the bubble surrounding herself shimmered out of existence. She pointed a hoof at Chrysalis. “You, come.”

Chrysalis lifted her tear-stained face and let her eyes meet the princess’, her ears splaying backwards.

“I-I’m s-sorry...I-It’s all m-my fault,” Chrysalis murmured, meekly starting to follow the princess, feeling her heart starting to beat faster in her chest.

Celestia led the changeling towards the largest gap in the crowd, motioning for them to open their ranks. The sheet-covered body of the shopkeeper was carried on soft magic several feet off the ground, leading the way. Celestia turned to regard Chrysalis with piercing pink eyes, asking sharply, “Your fault?

Nodding shakily, Chrysalis gave a soft whimper. “I-It’s all my fault, I-I shouldn’t h-have been arguing with him... I-I just wanted a better price for the niteshade so my uncle would be proud of me... b-but I only distracted him a-and he didn’t notice the broom. It knocked a jar off the shelf a-and he shook a little bit and then he just collapsed...”

The princess nodded as she led Chrysalis out of town. Celestia ushering her behind a stand of trees beside the road. Her horn began to glow, glimmering with energy.

Chrysalis inhaled, ears splaying backwards and heart fluttering in fear. Was this the moment? Was she found out? She tried her best not to wince or shudder as yellow magic flowed over her form. It felt like a high wind, brushing over her and sweeping through her mane and tail, picking up force and intensity as time went on. She was forced to squint into the rushing wind, and then close her eyes to protect them.

Turning her head downwards towards the flow of air, Chrysalis tried to form a better profile for the wind to rush over, instead of buffeting against her.

And then it was over. The wind died down as quickly as it started, as the princess looked her up and down appraisingly. “The pouch. Remove it\.”

Chrysalis blinked a moment, her ears splaying back. She lifted a hoof tentatively to undo the clasp of her carry pouch and place it carefully aside.

Celestia’s horn began to glow once more and a rain cloud drifted down from the sky to rest above Chrysalis. A quick twist of Celestia’s head caused the cloud to empty all over the unicorn, drenching her instantly in a heavy torrent of water. She was left standing there on splayed legs, eyes wide, dripping wet.

The Princess looked Chrysalis over for a moment, sniffing once. “There. That should be adequate,”

Chrysalis stood there, dripping wet, blinking slowly.

“Are you okay?” Celestia asked, her demeanor changing a little bit, her tone softening.

Chrysalis peered up at the princess for a long moment, her ears pinned back against her skull. She was dripping wet, shivering, and cold.

“I-I don’t t-think so,” Chrysalis murmured, shaking her head.

A soft, helpless sigh left the Princess. “I’m sorry, Cee. But...these things happen, try... try not to dwell on it.”

“I watched him die...” Chrysalis replied in a quiet tone. “I watched him die and I didn’t even help...”

Celestia nodded understandingly, “You couldn’t have done anything. Niteshade is a potent poison... and he probably inhaled a great deal of it when the jar shattered. If you had tried to help, you’d likely be joining him.”.

“It...It doesn’t help me feel any better,” Chrysalis responded in a small voice.

The Princess gave a soft sound and stepped forwards to nudge Chrysalis reassuringly with her nose. “Don’t dwell on it. It will destroy you. No one is going to blame you for what happened.”

“...Promise?” Chrysalis asked hopefully, ears perking upwards.

“Promise,” Celestia confirmed, rubbing her nose against the unicorn’s soothingly. “Now... Go. Get home. Try not to... think on what happened.”

“I’ll try...” Chrysalis responded quietly as the Princess turned and began to walk down the path again, carefully holding the bundle of sheets in front of her with her magic.

“P-princess?” Chrysalis queried, before Celestia had gotten too far down the path.

Celestia paused, peering back over her shoulder.

“Y-you’re alright,” Chrysalis muttered, staring down at her hooves.

Celestia nodded and inclined her head in respect to the unicorn’s words. She smiled sadly a moment and then continued to move down the path.

It was several minutes before Chrysalis managed to get control of her heart and breathing enough to think coherently. Shivering, she leaned down and picked up her carry case. She clipped it back around her neck, and turned to head back into Ponyville.

Chrysalis wore a sad mask as she picked her way between carts and whispering ponies, but inside, she was smiling. She had duped Celestia herself. The Princess didn’t even suspect that the Queen of the Changelings was right there in front of her the entire time. And her little ‘incident’ with the shopkeeper had gone very smoothly.

As Chrysalis dug around in her carry pouch for the shopping list that Evergreen put together, she allowed herself to exult in her triumph. After that, there was no need to doubt that she was still the same queen she used to be... But then, that left the interesting question of Evergreen. He intrigued her. It wasn’t something she could put her hoof on and define, but it was certainly there.

Pondering on her feelings for Evergreen, and trying to make herself seem as traumatized as possible, Chrysalis continued her shopping.


Evergreen was nowhere to be found when Chrysalis pushed open the door to his cottage, letting herself in and dropping her small sack of goods on the bed with a low groan.

Arching her back, Chrysalis stretched her forehooves forwards, giving the lowest of moans. Her neck was tense, and hurt whenever she tried to straighten it; the constant twisting of her head from carrying the sack in her mouth all the way from Ponyville had seen to that. On top of this her legs ached, not accustomed to walking such long distances.

For a second, Chrysalis considered soothing her aches with magic before crushing the idea. She hadn’t blacked out or anything stupid like that all day, but she was still finding it impossible to gauge how much energy she had. The blast at Canterlot must have addled her magical senses; she wasn’t sure if she was brimming with the energy she fed upon or if she’d end up back at square one by so much as lighting another fire.

Just existing didn’t use much energy, especially when Chrysalis supplemented it with food. But magic, be it transforming, or lifting objects used up her energy reserves much, much faster.

It bothered her that she hadn’t felt a dip in her energies when she changed her eyes to scare the shopkeeper. She drifted off for a moment, giving herself a few seconds of guilty pleasure, remembering the fear in his eyes as she choked the life out of him. It still excited her to know that she held that kind of power in her hoof. The power to choose how someone died. it was certainly satisfying.

Humming a jaunty tune to herself, Chrysalis slipped back outside to gather another load of split logs. She dragged them back inside, setting the fireplace up for a nice little blaze. She stacked several more logs around the old cauldron, ready to be set alight to heat the water for a long bath.

After that, Chrysalis had nothing to do but wait. With a faint sigh, she moved over to the fireplace again, taking down the box of matches from above it. She started to strike one, attempting to light it so she could get the fire going. She had never had to use matches before, seeing as she could just use her magic.

It took a few tries, and a few snapped matches before Chrysalis figured out how to flick her hoof just so to light the match, and then slipped the burning tip underneath the kindling. After a little while, the log caught, and began to burn merrily.

With a contented sound Chrysalis settled down in front of the fireplace, resting her head on her forehooves. Now this she could get used to. It was so simple and tranquil. It was a complete change of pace from what she was accustomed to. Her targets had always been the kinds of ponies who gravitated towards social events. The kind who were always at parties or fancy get-togethers and the like. She had never even considered trying a simpler pony, and the simpler life.

There was always pressure with her old masquerades. She always had to think how her targets would handle a certain situation, how they would react. And then there were old friendships to continue with ponies she had no interest in. She was constantly on her guard and always using magic to make sure that nothing went too awry.

But here? With Evergreen? It was so simple. She didn’t have any pressure. Sure, there was the shopkeeper, but he had been a pleasure to deal with. To feel that power in her hooves. She had destroyed him without even needing to use her magic. That made her feel powerful. That made her feel like the omnipotent Queen that she was.

But then there was just lazing here, in front of the fire. It was... something else. There was no sense of empowerment, none of the fulfilling sense of strength that she got when she was manipulating others. But... it was enjoyable. She couldn’t fathom it, couldn’t understand it. She had never really enjoyed anything for the sake of enjoying it before; everything she did had had a purpose. It was all focused on her next target, or, for that matter, her current target. Maintaining her cover, siphoning energy, and then moving on to an unrelated couple before anyone realised what was happening.

And then... there was those little wistful urges she kept getting. Just lying there, in front of the fire with Evergreen, with his hoof over her, with the warmth of his body against her own. That was pleasing. It was just as pleasing as ending the shopkeeper’s life, somehow. It made her feel content.

Chrysalis pondered on the bond itself, the bond she shared with Evergreen. She had never had this kind of link before; a natural liking for her herself. She wasn’t substituting herself for another pony and stealing the energy. She was the destination of Evergreen’s affection. And somehow, this energy was...purer than the energy that she got from others. It felt right. All of the energy she stole from others was tainted somehow in a way she couldn’t fathom or begin to understand. It was like being someone who had eaten stale bread her entire life suddenly finding a full loaf of fresh-baked bread, steaming hot and soft. They were the same, but utterly alien to each other in ways that couldn’t be readily defined. Same ingredients, same makeup, but different.

She knew that some of her kind had defected from the Changeling way of life and attempted to love each other; those forays were always short lived. It was like those perpetual motion experiments she had seen a crazy scientist performing seemingly centuries ago. A chain of motion happening with a net gain instead of loss; but there was always a loss. No matter how much two changelings loved each other, neither ever fed enough energy to the other to recoup the loss of their own. Even at a perfect balance, each spell, each movement, each breath they took ate away at the shared energy they possessed until there wasn’t enough left to sustain them and they faded away to nothing.

A soft sigh left the Changeling Queen and she found herself wishing, for just a moment, that she wasn’t what she was. She felt wistful thoughts towards just lazing with the big dumb oaf Evergreen all day, drinking his magical tea and resting with him in a large cauldron of warm water. It would be nice. Nay, it would be perfect.

But the other part of Chrysalis’ mind, the part of her that was practical, knew that it would never work. She was a changeling. Eventually, Evergreen would begin to weaken. First would come the headaches and the twitches, the fatigue and the sicknesses. And then he would waste away to nothing or, as was more often the case, take his own life in a fit of depression.

That was all Chrysalis’ future held: a constant string of partners, each of them as insignificant as the last. All she could do was glean as much enjoyment from them as possible before she moved on. Whether that be the joy of manipulating them and watching them being slowly destroyed from the inside out, or, like Evergreen, where, for the first time ever, she would be sad to leave her target.

Either she left, or she watched him die a horrible death.

It was a long way off yet, but the knowledge consumed her.

Chrysalis contented herself with lazing, staring into the flames. But her thoughts ate at her mind and her contentedness.

Suddenly, the fire didn’t seem so warm.