• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 8,631 Views, 913 Comments

Twilight Manages to Screw Up More Than Usual - Fire Gazer the Alchemist



Twilight has to find the Elements of Harmony to stop Nightmare Moon... and she screws it up.

  • ...
27
 913
 8,631

Interlude: Correspondence

Princess Celestia dabbed her quill in a nearby inkwell before running it along the paper before her. With a flourish she finished putting her signature on the latest tax reform bill and her magic levitated the papers into her ‘done’ pile.

She leaned back in her chair, feeling the warmth of her fireplace wash over her. There were still several other bills awaiting her approval on her desk, but she didn’t have the drive to look at them anymore. Her heart wasn’t in it.

She had retired to her quarters early than usual today; the sun wasn’t even set to go down for another two hours. Day Court just wasn’t where she wanted to be right now. The petty squabbles of nobles all competing to see who had the brownest nose seemed trivial at best right now. Now that… she was here.

Celestia sighed and a cold shiver slunk down her spine.

After her visit with Lu— Nightmare Moon a few nights ago, her hope that she could be saved had been whittled down. A lifetime of resentment and a millennium of dark isolation had warped the pony that used to be her sister beyond all recognition.

There was still the Elements of Harmony, but that was still more delusion than faint chance of success. She hadn’t even heard anything from Twilight since sending her all the information she had on the Elements and even with all that knowledge there was no guarantee she would find any of it helpful. The odds had to be something like one to one million. Or one billion. Or—

A puff of smoke raced across her field of vision, interrupting her thoughts. Celestia blinked as the smoke gathered together above her desk and in a flash became a rolled up scroll, which promptly fell in front of her.

Twilight...

Not missing a beat, Celestia scooped up the scroll with her magic and unraveled it.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I feel as though I’ve made some headway with reforming the Elements of Harmony. Over the past several days five of the Elements have shown signs of life; this may indicate their magic is not unusable as previously thought.

Furthermore, after inspecting the information you sent me, I have reason to believe that the Tree of Harmony may assist in expediting the process of fixing the Elements. If they really are showing signs of reforming, then the Tree, as their creator, may be able to bond them to the five ponies that I… mistakenly assumed were the correct Bearers.

If my calculations are correct, then I should be able to find the Tree of Harmony in the Everfree and should mount an expedition there.

I felt it prudent to notify you about this matter in case there was anything else you needed to add before I go.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle.

Celestia set the letter down and took a deep breath.

The Tree… does she truly mean to find it? It was a rhetorical question, of course. Twilight had never once lied in her letters and it wasn't likely that she was starting now. It won’t be easy though… she’ll need help.

A few ideas immediately popped into her mind, though she knew immediately who would work best with Twilight… even if they wouldn’t work too well with each other.

And my sister… If Twilight was going to use the Tree of Harmony to hopefully revive the Elements, then they would have to be used immediately on Nightmare Moon. Her mere presence in Equestra posed a massive threat… and that wasn’t just from the formidable power she held. That much concentrated dark magic threatened to throw everything out of control. It had to be removed as soon as possible. In fact, they were lucky he wasn’t already free.

She wiped her desk clear save her quill, her inkwell and a blank sheet of paper. Dipping the tip of her quill ever so lightly in the ink, she pressed it against the paper and wrote.

Twilight,

If you truly believe the Tree of Harmony is the best way to restore the Elements, then I think it is the right path to take. However, your search will be very difficult. When I first set out to find the Tree, it took me many months, even with help. I would tell you the exact location, however over the centuries I’ve observed that the Tree of Harmony is not as stationary as I had once thought.

It moves, frequently and randomly and over time even I have lost track of where it is. Sometimes it pops up in a convenient and easy to access location, but more likely it will be hidden in the depths of the Everfree. This is why I’m insisting on a few extra measures, some of which may not be to your liking…

Celestia scribbled away, fully detailing her intentions. She knew Twilight would be… dissatisfied with her idea, but time was of the essence and they couldn’t afford to waste it. Her decision was final, for better or worse.

When she finished, she rolled the paper up and added the royal seal. With a flick of her magic it was gone, sent straight to Spike. Only one more thing remained for her to do.

Walking to the door of her private quarters, she tapped on it briefly. It slid open, revealing the two guards on the outside.

“Yes, Your Highness?” one guard asked. “Did you need something?”

“I do. I need you to find two ponies and tell them to meet with me immediately.”

The guard blinked, surprised at such an unusual occurrence. “Of course… uh, who are they?”

“The Captain of the Royal Guard—” Celestia narrowed her eyes. “—and my niece.”

Author's Note:

Just some build up for the upcoming adventure side of the arc.