• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 4,676 Views, 538 Comments

Taco Quest - MrAskAPirate



Pinkie and Sonata go to Taco Bell. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

  • ...
14
 538
 4,676

Yo Quiero Amistad

Maud Pie sat at the center island in the Pie Family’s kitchen, crunching away on a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. She paused, noticing that her pet rock Boulder had nearly finished his own cereal.

“More?” she asked before pouring him another heaping helping. “You’re welcome.”

A rapid-fire thumping issued forth from the stairwell, and a split-second later a pink blur burst into the kitchen. It darted around the room, opening and closing cabinets and drawers and tossing an array of things that included--but was not limited to-- spare balloons, rolls of streamers, at least two rubber chickens, a bowl of mixed Halloween candy from two years ago, and an assortment of fake mustaches into a bag it carried.

“Hi Maud! Hi Boulder! Wow that’s a lot of cereal! Sorry I can’t stay and talk; my Pinkie Sense just went off and I think it means that someone really really wants tacos, and I’m pretty sure it must be important or else why would my Pinkie Sense even have gone off, you know? So anyway I’m gonna head out now and look for them so I can help, but also because I kind of want tacos too now and you know how hard it is for me to sleep when I’m snacky! I’ll be back late so don’t wait up! Oh, also please tell Mom and Dad that everything will be fine and I’ll be extra-super-mega careful and that it won’t be like last time with the police and the giant inflatable aardvark. Oh, and I already fed Gummy so don’t worry about him. Thanks Maud, you’re the best sister ever! I’ll see you tomorrow, have a good night! You too Boulder!”

Pinkie’s mile-a-minute spew of something akin to words continued unabated until she threw open and vanished out the door. Maud and Boulder sat in silence, save for the slight creaking of the overhead lights that had been stirred by the rushing vortex of wind left in her wake. An instant later Pinkie burst back into the room and opened the refrigerator.

“Whoops! Almost forgot the whipped cream!” She said as she snapped up a single can before bolting again. Maud blinked a couple of times before she and Boulder calmly continued their late-night snack.

“Ok. Have fun.”


“But what do you mean I can’t get on?” Sonata pouted. “My friends and I ride the bus all the time!”

“Look honey, the fare’s a dollar--has been for years,” the public bus driver explained again. “Are you sure that you and your friends don’t have commuter’s passes?”

Sonata shook her head with a frown. “We usually just sing a little whenever we need to go someplace.”

The driver stared at her blankly. “Unless you have a pass, you gotta pay to ride like everybody else. Are you gettin’ on or not?”

Sonata turned out her pockets and even took off one of her pink boots, turning it over and tapping the sole, but her efforts produced nothing but lint and an old gum wrapper. The driver looked unimpressed, and Sonata sighed as she slipped her boot back on.

“I guess I’m not.” She stepped back onto the curb just in time to avoid being hit by the door as it snapped closed, and the bus sped away leaving in its wake a cloud of exhaust that set off a minor coughing fit. “Wow, rude much?” Her frustration with the bus driver was short-lived, as the new irritation in her throat reminded her far too much of how it had felt earlier in the evening, after she and her fellow Sirens were hit by the Rainbooms’ magic.

Sonata shook her head vigorously and lightly clapped both hands to her cheeks. “No! No moping allowed while on a taco run!” She turned and began what was sure to be a long, tiring walk to downtown, but did not let that discourage her. “Everything will totally be worth it once I get my hands on those crunchy, meaty, spicy tex-mex delights, and with the world as my witness, I won’t let anything stop me until I get my tacos!”

“That’s the spirit!”

Sonata spun back around and found herself nose to nose with Pinkie Pie’s grinning face.

“Hi!!”

“UWAUGH!!” Sonata half-leaped, half-stumbled backwards. “Where’d you come from?!”

“My house, silly! Where else would I be this late at night?” Pinkie replied. “Oh, well aside from going on a taco run. Or at a sleepover. Or saving the world from an ancient evil from another dimension by playing a wicked rock song with my friends, or… actually, I guess there’s a lot of things I could be doing at night, huh?”

“Um… I guess?” Sonata raised an eyebrow. Pinkie continued to stare at her and smile before suddenly gasping and leaping into the air.

“Omigosh, we’ve never really actually met face-to-face before!” She darted over and started shaking Sonata’s hand vigorously. “I’m Pinkie Pie; what’s your name?”

“Sonata Dusk! Nice to meet you!” the former Siren beamed, but her expression quickly grew confused. “Wait a sec, you’re one of the Rainbooms, right? Aren’t we, like, enemies or something?”

“Yupperooni! But like Grammy Pie says, you should never let a little thing like world domination stop you from making new friends,” Pinkie stated with an affirming nod. Sonata’s eyes widened hopefully.

“For… for realsies?” she asked, her voice trembling. “You really want to be my friend? Even after all the mean things we did to you?”

“Pffffssssh!” Pinkie gave a dismissive wave. “You girls caused trouble for what, like two days? Sunset Shimmer spent years wrecking our lives, and now she’s in our band! You and me? We’re gonna be besties by the end of the night!”

Tears of joy gathered at the corners of Sonata’s eyes as she leaped forward and wrapped Pinkie in a tight hug. “Omigosh! I’ve never had a real friend before! I mean, aside from Adagio and Aria, but they’re sorta more like, sisters or something.”

Pinkie Pie’s eyes bulged out slightly as she made a squeaking noise from Sonata’s surprisingly strong hug. “Where are your friends, anyway? Aren’t you three always together?”

“They’re back at an abandoned house, hiding,” Sonata released her grip and pointed over her shoulder with her thumb. “Adagio and Aria are really upset about the whole losing our powers thing. I wanted to cheer them up by bringing them some tacos, but I couldn’t get a ride on the bus so now I have to walk all the way to Taco Bell for Free Taco night.”

Pinkie sidled up to Sonata and threw an arm around her shoulders. “Not if your new friend Pinkie Pie has anything to say about it! You just sit back and leave everything to me, Sonni-D! I Pinkie Promise that we’re gonna get you those tacos or wind up in jail trying!”

~~9 Hours Later~~

Pinkie Pie and Sonata Dusk, sitting side by side on an uncomfortable metal bench with their hands on their laps, both flinched slightly as the policeman slammed the door of their cell closed. He gave them both one last disapproving growl and stalked off, leaving the girls to stare vacantly at the opposite wall in silence. They were filthy; covered in dirt, soot, some refried beans, and even a little bit of cake frosting. Their hair was singed and in shambles, their clothes ripped in a number of places, and they sported no shortage of bruises and scrapes.

Gingerly, Pinkie reached up and into her hair, fishing around for a moment before pulling forth a slightly squashed cupcake. She offered the treat to Sonata, who shook her head slightly without even looking. Pinkie shrugged, taking a bite of it herself, and sighed.

“Well… I was right about one thing.”

Author's Note:

Don't worry; we're not skipping the best part of the story, :raritywink: