• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 4,680 Views, 538 Comments

Taco Quest - MrAskAPirate



Pinkie and Sonata go to Taco Bell. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

  • ...
14
 538
 4,680

Like a Good Chinese Dinner...

“From the darkness surrounding you drifts the deep rumblings of something beginning to stir. Many somethings, you realize, as the noise begins to slither forth from all sides. Heavy footfalls shake the stone beneath your feet, and the sounds draw closer… closer…

“You heft your torches higher, straining to peer through the blackness. Your blood runs cold as the first massive shape shambles into the torchlight. Ogres. About a half-dozen of them, approaching sluggishly from all sides. With horror, you realize that the old wizard has tricked you… you’ve walked right into his trap.”

“Wait! No! Bull! They can’t just sneak up on us; I had Maredenkainen’s Faithful Diamond Dog cast!”

Shining Armor looked up from behind the Oubliette Master’s screen perched on the hood of his police cruiser and raised an eyebrow at the nerd wearing a Star Trot uniform, one of the four Oubliettes & Ogres players in this impromptu session.

“Um… no you didn’t.”

“Yes I did!”

“No, I’m pretty sure you didn’t,” another player, this one in an orange martial arts gi and with a spiked black wig piped up.

Star Trot nodded vigorously. “Yes, I did! Back in town you asked if I needed anything from the general goods merchant, and I said ‘no’, but I wanted material components for all my spells, and then I cast Maredenkainen’s Faithful Diamond Dog!”

“Are we out of Cheetoes?” a guy clad in the white plastic armor of a Stormtrooper asked as he searched through the pile of empty junk food bags on the ground near his feet.

“Here,” Shining tossed him the last pouch of cheesy snacks.

“Oh, wait,” said the last player, a girl in long fantasy robes and elf ears. “I do remember the part about the spell components!”

“See?” Star Trot gestured to her and looked at Shining. “And then I cast Maredenkainen’s Faithful Diamond Dog!”

“Okay, but you didn’t,” Shining rubbed his temples, “you never actually said you were casting the spell, so now there’s ogres, okay?” Star Trot grumbled something under his breath but didn’t protest further. “Now, everybody roll for in-”

“Car Fifty-one, Dispatch, over.”

“One sec,” Shining said to his players and reached for the radio at his shoulder. “Fifty-one here, go ahead Dispatch.”

“Got a noise complaint for you to check out. Ten-oh-nine Tockar Lane.”

Shining grimaced. “Old man Doodle again?

“Got it in one, have a cigar.”

“Oh, c’mon! I had to handle him last time!”

“You know how many friends in high places he has, Shining, if we ignore him he goes to the Captain; if the Captain ignores him he goes to the Chief… it’s just not worth the hassle. We drew names from a hat like we always do, and you won.”

“Yeah, that’s what you always say, too,” he grumbled while making sure he wasn’t holding down the talk button on his radio, drawing snickers from the players in front of him before he silenced them with a glare and a sigh. “Roger that, Dispatch, I’m en route. Fifty-one out.” He turned his attention back to his fellow gamers as he began gathering up the papers and dice in front of him. “Sorry guys, duty calls.”

“We understand,” Spiky-hair said. “We’re, um… we’re sorry about the whole ‘angry mob’ thing from earlier. Thanks for not arresting us.” The others nodded and mumbled their own apologies.

“It’s fine, nobody got hurt and that’s the important thing,” Shining pointed at them, “but next time you decide to go all Revenge of the Nerds on somebody, do me a favor and make sure you know what’s actually going on first?” He was met with a round of nods and handed the gaming materials back to Elf-ears, along with four scraps of paper with his phone number written on them. “All right, you guys have a good time at the rest of the convention, and in case you’re interested, me and a couple of other guys run a regular O&O session every Sunday. Everyone’s welcome.”

“Oh, sweet!”

“Awesome.”

“I’ll bring the Mountain Dew!”

“Thanks, Shining!”

A grinning Shining Armor waved his new friends goodbye and hopped back into his cruiser with a contented sigh. As he started the car his eyes were drawn to the place where his driver-side mirror used to be, and he frowned. While it bothered him a little that the girls he had been chasing and the ones who’d set him up had all vanished by the time he’d gotten out from underneath the dorkpile, there wasn’t much he could do about it now. He still had that blonde girl’s license and registration, but he could wait to follow up on that until after he’d dealt with old man Doodle’s noise complaint.

All in all, he really doubted that he’d be seeing that pink terror again tonight.


Being a married man, Shining Armor was no stranger to being wrong, but this… this was starting to get ridiculous.

He stood just inside the doors of MacMaren’s, his mouth hanging open and his eyes transfixed on the stage where a particular pink terror, along with her ditzy blue friend and a third girl he didn’t recognize, were rapping of all things. He was pretty sure ‘icing, icing baby’ weren’t quite the lyrics he remembered, but he had to admit that the girls weren’t half bad. The pulsing sea of people overflowing the dance floor seemed to agree, and as the trio finished up their song the crowd let out a deafening cheer that sounded like it belonged in a football stadium instead of a reasonably small nightclub. He rubbed one ear and winced, laughing inwardly at the notion that this might be the first legitimate noise complaint the Canterlot Police Department had ever received from Cranky Doodle Donkey.

After taking another moment to let the situation sink in, Shining took a single step toward the stage before halting in his tracks. He eyed the crowd--which was enthusiastically cheering and shouting their support and adoration for the girls he was planning to arrest--and then recalled what had happened the last time he had encountered them in a large throng of people.

He smirked and changed course, working his way instead over to a set of doors that he hoped would eventually lead him backstage.

“Not this time, ladies.”


“Oh my,” a rosy-cheeked Rarity breathed and fanned herself with her hand as the girls stepped back behind the curtains for the first time on what felt like forever. “I’ve put in my fair share of time on stage at fashion shows, but I don’t believe I’ve ever performed nonstop for quite so long in all my life.”

“Are you okay?” Pinkie asked with a frown.

Rarity nodded back. “Yes, yes, I’m fine, I think I simply need to sit down for a moment to catch my breath.”

“I’m sorry,” Sonata pouted as she picked up a simple wooden stool from the side of the backstage area and set it out for Rarity to use. “Am I overdoing it?”

“Nonsense, darling! Please, enjoy yourself!” Rarity waved her off as she sat. “I… to be honest, I feel absolutely dreadful about how I acted earlier.” She looked down and away, suddenly unable to meet Sonata’s gaze. “I should’ve realized how important your voice was to you, but back at the Boutique you seemed as though you were hardly upset at all and I assumed… well, suffice it to say it was incredibly insensitive of me, and I apologize.”

“For realzies?” Sonata blinked, leaning in close to Rarity’s face. “No, for realzies for realzies, are you really for realzies right now?”

“Um,” Rarity’s eyes flicked back and forth. “Yes?” Before she had even really finished the word, she found herself the recipient of another of Sonata’s industrial-strength hugs.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me!” Sonata laughed. “If you hadn’t asked me to sing I never would’ve found out what I’ve been missing all this time! If you girls hadn’t won the Battle of the Bands I might never have found out!” She released her hold on Rarity and stepped back to arm’s length, a warm smile and a single tear glittering in the corner of her eye. “How can you be sorry for making this the best night of my whole life?”

Rarity smiled and pulled Sonata back into another, much more ladylike hug.

“D’aww,” Pinkie said, her own eyes tearing up.

“Jeeze, after hearing that I’m almost sorry to have to break this up.”

The girls’ heads whipped around, their eyes widening as they beheld an imposing form stepping out of the shadows deeper backstage, dim light glinting off a polished badge and a set of handcuffs that clinked together menacingly as they dangled from a belt loop.