• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 2,670 Views, 149 Comments

Of Wubs and Men - MoltenXKid



My music career is falling. My house is trashed. I'm slowly becoming addicted to a cartoon pony show. And to top it all off, I ordered Vinyl Scratch off the internet from Vogon Biotech.

  • ...
8
 149
 2,670

Wednesday

(Third Person)


Mason shifted in his drunken slumber, causing him to fall towards the floor. Once his face collided with the hardwood, he awoke with a jump. The first thing he registered was the taste of peaches and something else more-or-less familiar. Secondly, he smelled meat being cooked in the kitchen, which made hungry and nauseated at the same time. Thirdly, he felt some odd feeling of relief. From what, he didn’t know. Finally, with his eyes still closed from the morning sun, he felt the cold floor against his bare skin; he slowly rose and sat back on what he assumed was the couch.

He had to fight off the nauseated feeling from moving before he could open his eyes. Once he reached a point he was comfortable with, he hesitantly opened them. The brown pupils searched the room for life until they found a nude, white unicorn sipping a glass of orange juice.

“Morning, sleepy head,” The unicorn said, “Bout time you woke up.”

“Hey, Vinyl…” Mason spoke before connecting things in his mind, “We didn’t…you know?”

“Me and you? No. You and her. Yes, “Vinyl answered, pointing to the kitchen.

Mason turned his head towards the kitchen, keeping in mind his hangover. There he saw his current, and if he was lucky, his last girlfriend. A sleek black apron, and her modest underwear, seemed to be covering most of the skin on her body. She turned around with a knife in hand to cut something Mason couldn’t see, yet when she saw him awake, she smirked.

“Good morning, dear,” She said, “How’d you sleep?”

“What happened last night?” Mason asked in return.

“I simply came and got what you owed me for hooking that machine up. Though, more things ‘came’ if you catch my drift.”

Mason eyes opened in amazement before he responded, “But…but I don’t remember anything!”

“Perhaps you shouldn’t have been drunk.”

“I don’t even drink that often.”

“You get blackout drunk 3 times a week. You need to slow down."

“If you’re insinuating I have a-“

“Yes, it is a problem, especially for a man of your age.” Came a deep voice from around the corner.

Everyone turned to see Mason Sr. and Sasha coming from the hallway. Both were dressed in only their undergarments. Both walked into the living taking seats on the loveseat to the left of Mason. For everyone, this situation was normal, but for Mason, having everyone nude, seemed awkward.

“Your father is right,” Sasha agreed, “You’re drinking a lot.”

“Whoa whoa…are we forgetting Vinyl drunk my entire stock two days ago?” Mason included.

“Don’t bring me in this,” Vinyl chimed in.

“But we need to,” Spoke the dignified voice of Octavia as she walked from the hallway too. Also nude, “You both tend to drink a lot. You may not see it as a problem since it’s part of your lifestyle, but you need to slow down. If not for your health, for financial reasons.”

Vinyl looked to Mason and Mason to her. Both shrugged and mentally agreed to whatever everyone else was saying. It was just the easiest course of action.

“Alright. Alright. We’ll slow down drinking if it’ll make you guys happy.” Mason sighed, “But can we talk about why everyone here is nude in some way or fashion.”

“You’re not the only one who got lucky last night,” Octavia said nonchalantly as she moved towards the kitchen for breakfast.


Breakfast ended in a comfortable silence. All the plates were empty and the stomachs were full. Even though no one spoke, it was unanimous that the food was delicious, and the cook deserved an award. Though, seeing as no one had one, they settled on someone else cleaning the dishes.


“Thanks for the breakfast, Anastasia,” Vinyl spoke, “You go rest, I’ll do the dishes.”

“Yes, thank you dear,” Sasha agreed, “I’ll help you, Vinyl.”

“It was no problem. Truly. I just think a warm meal is good after…nightly escapades.” Ana said.


Everyone smiled at the last remark before leaving to their separate areas. Vinyl and Sasha started the dishes; Mason Sr. went to watch the news, Mason headed towards the basement, and Anastasia-along with Octavia- stood with no place to go.

“Mason, where are you going?” Octavia asked, “To practice your trumpet?”

“Naw. I have this thing I need to finish. Some rapper wants to make a comeback, so he asked me to whip him up something to grab people’s attention. Ehh, I’m not really into rap, but he’s paying well so…a job is a job. I’m almost done anyway. So, I’ll be up here in about 20 minutes to get the mail.”

“You still receive physical mail? Asked Ana, “Dude, you know what year it is, right?”

“Excuse me for liking to receive letters…”

“You’re old…That explains that outdated housing system you have.”

“Hey! Tesla works just fine. It’s better than yours…whatever it is.”

“Edison.”

"…you do this stuff on purpose.”

“What stuff?” Ana replied snidely.

“Nevermind. I’m gotta finish this.”

With that, Mason descended down the stairs, leaving the unlikely pair together. With Mason gone, the two stood together in silence waiting for something to break it. Soon, Anastasia had an idea. She grabbed Octavia’s hand, led her to the back porch of the home, and stepped outside. Both, one nude and the other barely covered took in the morning air with enthusiasm.


Anastasia then sat on the barely used patio furniture before urging Octavia to follow. Once the Earth pony did, Ana pulled out her phone.


“Would you like to play chess?” Ana asked.

“I would, if there was chessboard around,” Octavia replied.

“Pfft. Chess board,” Ana pressed numerous times on her phone before a holographic chess appeared in-between them, “Your move ,pony.”

Mouths closed and minds open, both females played. Pieces were moved, sacrificed, saved, and taken as strategy filled the atmosphere. Each player kept a calm demeanor, not giving the other anything to base a move on. As the game progressed and it seemed as if neither side was winning, the game slowed and turned into conversation.

“So, Anastasia…tell me about yourself.” Octavia stated.

“That’s something I haven’t done in awhile, Octavia. Hmm, first things first: my whole name Anastasia Stepp. Sister of Charles Stepp who I assume you know through Mason. Anyway, my childhood is nothing special, so let’s jump to when I moved to Cali.”


Octavia noticed a small gleam appear in her opponent’s eyes as she recalled memories. A small smile teased at Ana’s lips before she spoke.

“You might not believe me, but I had a bit of a singing voice. Not to brag, but I was good. So, I came here to launch my career. At first I struggled, but soon, I made a small name for myself. Clubs began calling me and I made enough money to move out of the trailer my brother still calls home.”

“I noticed you said ‘had’. Ones voice just doesn’t disappear. If that was your talent, you should have kept at it.”

“But singing wasn’t my talent. Or rather my main one. I didn’t open a club for shits and giggles,” Anastasia moved her last pawn forward a space, “It would be better if I told you. One night, after a performance, I sat at the bar beside the owner waiting for my pay. He was talking to himself, mumbling over money problems, when suddenly he asks me if I was any good with math. I nodded my head, he handed me his tablet and told me to look over his work. ”

“The result was?” Octavia asked moving her queen to intercept the pawn.

“Perfect math. Guy knew his shit. But, that’s not the end, my little pony. I noticed that he was managing all wrong. Buying too much of one thing while buying too little of another, overcharging for drinks, underpaying performers, etc. He was doing everything wrong. Well, based off of what I’ve seen in other clubs I performed in. I told the owner, and he gave me a quick look over before hiring me as the assistant manager.”

“So I assume this how you found your love for managing a club, so then you opened up you own?”

“Exactly. Got a loan, bought a place, fixed it up, and the rest is history. So, how about you, Octy? What’s your story?”



Octavia shifted in her seat to get a better view of the board. She was going to use her queen to take our Anastasia’s pawn but realized it was a diversion from the rest of the pieces. Instead, she moved her knight closer to her king. Anastasia saw this, sighed in disapproval, and withdrew her bishop from moving in on Octavia’s king.

“Pony lives are simple really. Not much to tell. I grew up, found my cutie mark, and joined my small ensemble where we went around Equestria doing ‘gigs’. Then Pinkie Pie sort of ruined our credit when we decided to humor her at the Gala. Anyway, my group disbanded shortly after that since no one would hire us together. So, I went out on my own.”

“And…” Anastasia said, yet when Octavia didn’t catch her drift, she continued, “How did you meet Vinyl?”

“Hmmm, I was catching train to Manehatten for a job when I got aboard a train car with an eccentric looking mare who blasted her music through headphones. It was so loud that I couldn’t take it. I simply had to put in my own earphones and listen to more refined music. Slowly, I drifted away into my own world until this rude mare snatched my earphones away and replaced them with hers. Though, before I could protest, I noticed that she was listening…no…admiring the music I enjoyed. I just had to return the favor. I had to say, it was bearable. Anyway, I listened until my stop was reached in which she handed back my earphones, and we both exited the train. As we split paths, the mare asked if we could have lunch together. Strangely, my mouth said yes when my mind said no. And the rest is history.”

“That’s so sweet…unlike this beating you’re about to get.”


“Please, if I was sure I wasn’t going to win, my king would be more heavily guarded.”

The match continued on in silence. Neither player giving the other an inch to move. Pieces sacrificed to ensure over protection and victory. Temples rubbed to relieve stress of the game. Eyes opened wide to see the entire board. Each player thought of strategy to win, yet it was like the other player was in their mind, finding ways to beat it. Finally, after more time of playing, only two kings were left on the board.

“Well…shit.” Ana stated, “That was a good game.”

“It’s been awhile since I’ve met someone who challenged me so.”

“Anytime you want a challenge, just call me. I’ll be waiting.”

Octavia nodded before speaking again, “You do notice what’s happening? Between Mason and Vinyl.”

“I do…and I don’t know how to feel about it. I bet neither of them does either. I say we see how things go. It may just be they are good friends or something is growing there. We just gotta watch.”

“Indeed. One last question: how do you feeling about herding?”

“Herding?”


Mason sat in front of his equipment. Most of it off since the project he was working on was done already. He just never sent it off. With the press of the enter key, the song went to its destination. Hopefully, a reply would be sent back, along with the payment. A payment that would last him about 4 months with his utilities. Four months in which he could work without interruption. Release albums that lay deep in his SDD.

He closed his eyes, trying to let go of the last pieces of his hangover, and perhaps recover the events of last night. Though, only bits came to him. Some he was sure his mind created to make itself feel better. In his thought, his phone rang, causing the hangover to grow again.

He picked up the phone and spoke, “Hello?”

“Mason, how’s my favorite DJ?” said a familiar voice.

“Percy…sup…I’m currently nursing a hangover. What do you need?”

“Two things kid and I’ll be out of your hair. Number one: release a single. ASAP! With that battle coming up, you need songs out there to get the ball rolling. Number two: have you been contacted by World Round records?”


“I’ll send one right over. Plus that rapper should get his album out soon too. Double the publicity. And no…what would they want with a small fry like me?”

“Trust me, kid. They’ll take anything that can make ‘em a buck. No matter what you do, don’t sign with them. It’s not just me wanting to keep you with me at Music Maid Records. You’ll be just number there. That’s a fact.”

“You’ve been good to me Percy. I won’t leave you. I promise.”

“I’ll hold you to that ,kiddo. Alright, I’ll leave you be with that hangover. Tell that pony of yours I said hello.”

“Which one?”

“God damn it, kid. Don’t go too crazy on me.”

The call ended, and Mason went searching through his songs for one to release. Files upon files flowed down his screen until he finally settled on one he named, “Parachute”. With a couple of clicks of the mouse, the song was sent in an email to Percy, who would hopefully accept it.

With a yawn, Mason rose from his chair. By his calculations the mail should be arriving at any moment. He opened up a drawer filled with t-shirts and basketball shorts, and dressed himself. He then quietly walked up the stairs, walked past his parents and Vinyl, and out into the dry heat. Trying to return to the cool house, he walked quickly to the mailbox.

As he expected, the mail had arrived. Though, it only bared bad news, such as bills. He sighed as he walked back to his home, yet a white van parked near the curb. Out walked three men, all wearing white dress shirts and black ties. Mason noticed one appeared to have a broken nose as he got closer. Soon, both parties we less than five feet apart.

“Hello, “Spoke the man with the hurt nose, “Is this the residence of a Mr. Mason Williams.”

“Uh…yes. I’m Mason Williams. How can I help you?”

“My…you’re way too young. I suppose we’re looking for Mason Sr.”

“Yes, my father, but what business do you have with him? He doesn’t live in L.A.”

“We Puritans simply want to talk to him.”

The three men all took a step forward, yet Mason held his ground.

“Yeah…no, dude. My father definitely has nothing to do with Californian Puritans. I’m going to have to ask you to-“

“We met…about a week ago, near the trains. We had a interesting conversation. He invited me here, so we could continue it.”

“I doubt that…very much. But look, how about you wait here, I go get him, clarify what’s happening, and we go from there.”

Mason turned to leave, without getting any comment from the man. Yet, when a hand tightly gripped him around his shoulder, he stopped, and looked back. The man with the hurt nose gripped Mason’s shoulder while the other two stayed back.

“There’s no need to ask him. Just let us in. You’re making this so much harder than it has to be.” The man said, obviously getting agitated.

Mason pulled his shoulder away before looking the man in the eyes.

“Hey, this is my home. You need to respect the fact that I going to ask my father before letting someone unknown and not liked into my home.”

Mason once again began to walk, but again, the hand returned to his shoulder. This time tighter.

“Look here, heathen. Your father disrespected me…in front of my brothers and sisters. I will not stand idly by while this injustice remains unfixed!”

“Number one: I’m not a full heathen, only half from my mother’s side. The other half is annoyed, which I get from my father. Number two: whatever my father did, he did for a good fucking reason.”

“Do not disrespect me, boy. I am-“

“I don’t give two shits who you are. Now, you have wasted enough of my time. Please, leave my home so I can have premarital sex, use the lord’s name in vain, and maybe think about mix feelings for these anthro-ponies in my home.”

Mason broke the grip once more and began to walk to his door again. He heard the men following him from behind. The Dj stopped in his tracks and turned around to the men. He didn’t them to go any further or else Tesla would notice other people in the area and notify everyone in the house of visitors. He didn’t need such a good day to be ruined; he had to solve this himself.

“I said get the hell off my property,” Mason stated, getting irritated, “Are you Puritans deaf or something?”

“You father embarrassed me in front of my fellow brothers and sisters. Then he proceeded to break my nose. His transgressions will not go unpunished…”

The Puritans stepped forward, and so did Mason. Both groups seemed adamant about staying put.

“Here I thought you puritans turned the other cheek…”

“Move or we will move you,”

“Is that a threat?”

“UGH, I grow tired of dealing with such idiocy,”

The head man made a fist, reared back his arm, and aimed for Mason’s face. Quickly, the Dj dodged the attack before launching his own, making direct contact with the head man’s nose. He fell back, blood flowing from his nose, ruining the pure white shirt. Mason couldn’t help but smirk. It had been a while since he had gotten such a good shot. (He could barely remember the fight when he first met
Vinyl.)

The other two men helped their leader from the ground, and looked him over. The only damage was the re-broken nose and hurt pride. “It appears we have to teach the heathen some manners. Apprehend him.” The two men followed order and grabbed Mason on either side. He struggled, yet couldn’t free himself. Though, he still fought for freedom, slowly moving towards the house.

The men stood Mason up as the leader approached.

“I suppose,” He said as let go of his still bleeding nose, “It’s time for the son to pay for the sins of his father,”

“It’s time for the son to pay for the sins of his father,” Mason imitated, “That’s some cheesy bullshit,”

The Dj was rewarded with a fist to his jaw. Mason’s body wanted to drop to the floor, yet the two men holding him kept him upright. The leader then sent another fist into the Dj’s torso. Mason coughed as freely fell to the ground. They let him remain for a moment before picking him back up. Then he received another punch to his left side.

“Any words?” asked the leader.

Mason wanted to say something. Something like they did in the action movies, yet the pain around his jaw prevented him too. He only hoped he was close to the house to be picked up by Tesla.


Octavia and Anastasia sat around the table. The holographic chess set was untouched ever since Octavia began speaking. Anastasia was in thought, trying to form from sort of opinion about what she had heard. She truly didn’t know how to feel on the subject being that this is the first she had heard of anything like it.

“Any thoughts?” Octavia asked, “I know it’s a lot to take in.”

“I don’t know…I’m not against it…just not sure if I’m for it.”

“Seems we have the same dilemma, but I’d do anything for Vinyl.”

“I’d…do most things for that numbskull. Though, the difference is: herding in your culture…is natural. With the low male count and such. Here…it would be taboo.”

“I’m just giving a potential solution to this problem. “

“I’m glad you did. It’s just something we’d all have to talk about..in a group.”

Before Octavia could reply, Edison-Anastasia’s Housing System- alerted her phone. Without Mason knowing, she secretly connected to his network. Not like he would mind though. Edison alerted her that three visitors along with Mason were in the vicinity. Instantly, she had a bad feeling come to her.

Usually when Mason brings guest, he would not hesitate to bring them inside, yet Edison reported that they hadn’t entered the house. With a few swipes of her phone, she brought up the entrance camera, and gasped in horror.

“We have to go! NOW!” She hollered.

“What’s the matter?” Octavia questioned, already getting up.

“Mason is in trouble!”

Both pony and human ran into the house. Running as fast as they could until they reached the other occupants in the home. Mason Sr. was already standing up while Vinyl and Sasha were finishing up the dishes. When they saw the worried look in Octavia and Ana’s eyes, they dropped everything to ask, yet they didn’t need to. Tesla had told them about the visitors as well.

“We need to go now!” Ana yelled.

Everyone nodded in agreement, and ran outside. There, they saw Mason face down on the ground and three men entering a vehicle. The men turned around at the sound of the door opening; the one with the broken nose released a normal smile as if nothing had happened.

“Mr. Williams, so sorry that we missed you. Hopefully we can chat another time. You see, I’m late for a meeting. Fortunately, your son and I had a nice little chat about your wrong doings. Think we’ve reached an interesting conclusion. Good day.”

The men pulled off, and Mason Sr. went to chase after yet a tight grip on his shirt held him back. It was Octavia telling him not to. He sighed before rushing to his son. He flipped his son onto his back before lifting him into his arms, trying to wake him. Everyone else surrounded, each taking turns to wake him.

“Mason…wake up…”

“Snap out of it ,dude…”

“Please come back to mommy…”

“You must return to consciousness…”

“I’m sorry, son…”

Mason began to stir in his father’s arms. He felt the pain on his torso, his eyes swollen to where he could barely see out of it, and his jaw throbbing like his speakers. He opened his eyes as much as he could to see his group surrounding him. He tried to smile, yet the pain hindered. Though, he knew he had to say something to let his family know he was okay.

“...those guys...are assholes...”

Author's Note:

Ah...another chapter. Amazing!!! I dont have much to say, but if you do, leave a question, comment, or concern.