• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 640 Views, 17 Comments

Knight of the Heart - Neroson40



Princess Celestia has a new student... who hates everypony around him, but can one mare change all that?

  • ...
4
 17
 640

The Mute and the Mule

The Mute and the Mule

Scorch never did anything without my permission. Seriously, he asked if he could party with everypony else in the castle, only doing so when I said I had no problems with it. One of the donkeys in town came over to greet me, even though it should’ve been clear I didn’t want anything to do with anypony here.

“Hi Champ!” He said. “I’m Mulesworth, one of the town transporters,”

“Hi,” I said, annoyed.

“Great party, huh? They’re Pinkie’s specialty.” I didn’t answer. I tried to be quiet and out of the way from everypony, but then this happened.

“Yeah, right.” I told Mulesworth. He looked at me with genuine concern, a form of concern I hadn’t seen in the last year.

“Why aren’t you enjoying yourself? This is your party.”

“I never asked for it. I learned never to rely on anypony for anything.” The hurt on Mulesworth’s face was enough to make me hate myself. But then he seemed to get over it.

“Hey, you might not have asked for it, but here’s your chance to make a good first impression! I say take it!” Geez! Did this kid think badly about anypony!?

Before I could blink he was pushing me onto the dance floor with Melody not too far ahead of me. The music shifted to slow dancing. I looked over at the DJ to see that Twilight was pulling a few strings. I swear, everypony wants me to suffer. Melody put her head against my neck and we started trotting left and right, very slowly, very deliberately.

“You know,” Melody used the Telepathy spell, “This may be the first time I’ve seen you smile.” What? I was smiling? I guess it would make some sense, she smelled nice from this close up, she was so warm against me, and she just made me happy… this may be the first time I was happy since my family’s last trip to the Summer Sun Celebration… the memory made me back away from Melody as tears started to form on the sides of my face. “What’s wrong?” She asked. I couldn’t stay there. I ran out of the Castle, out of the square, out of the town, and into the woods.